The Dallas Stars 2024 Playoffs Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Sweetnsourpoke said:

Have ticket prices gone up considerably for Round 3 this year? I swear I bought tickets for Game 5 of the Vegas series last year for $75. Granted, we were looking at elimination. This year, cheapest tickets nosebleed are $140? Yikes. 

I saw your post and looked it up.  My season ticket pricing (lower corner where opponent shoots 2X) are $221 this round.  Which is a big discount off what they will try to sell them for (the only way you get value out of season tix is a big playoff run).  I'm guessing "face" of these are closer to $325+.   For those looking to go, the good thing is with the Mavs playing, I think it keeps pricing for both somewhat in check.  I really considered going to Mavs game tonight but could not justify spending $450 per (plus a sitter) with potentially 2 more Stars series on the table.  If Stars were done already I would have been there.  I feel like a lot of people are likely picking and choosing their spots with simultaneous runs.

• Hook 'Em 1

What time zone is Denver again?  

they’ll put the rangers on eastern prime time and Dallas on after that and you’ll like it.  And having Vancouver just means the late starts are great for their market. 

I don’t think many — if any — of the games will be on the same nights.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I don’t think many — if any — of the games will be on the same nights.

Yeah brain fart on my part. Unless there’s a booking issue at the aac with the mavs.  

eta: who gets priority timeslots between nba and nhl?  Assuming they don’t overlap much. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

58 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yeah I think more rest is the recipe after these series and schedule. Get healthy, then deal with any long layoff rust. 

Agreed.  I heard Pete said Roope would have been doubtful for game 7.  If he can't go Thurs, I think it's clearly a long term deal.  Regardless of that, everyone else that is hurting (which has to be damn near everyone) has a good chance to get right.  Bet they have a hard 60 min practice Tues to stay sharp.

36 minutes ago, Constant said:

Hopefully Edmonton and Vancouver beat the shit out of each other in game 7. 

Multiple OT's would be fantastic.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2024 at 12:35 AM, BeardIP said:

Would love to punch the city in the Denver in the face by eliminating the Avs and then somehow having the Nuggets getting bounced too. That’s a dream scenario.

image.png.26be3eec661f20877cc153bee61d09e8.png

• Haha 1

this feels like old times.  back in the heyday, Dallas faced Edmonton in the playoffs regularly.  just saw this:

Between 1997 and 2003, the Stars and Oilers met six times in the playoffs. The teams have not played a postseason series in the 20 years since.

Edmonton was a speedbump on both trips to the Stanley Cup finals in 1999 and 2000.  this is gonna be fun.

47 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

this feels like old times.  back in the heyday, Dallas faced Edmonton in the playoffs regularly.  just saw this:

Edmonton was a speedbump on both trips to the Stanley Cup finals in 1999 and 2000.  this is gonna be fun.

Otter needs to stand on his head like Eddie and his bumblebee-skates did back then, and likewise climb inside The Oil's heads with both leg blockers on.  Lulz.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Anyone wanna hit an away game?

Edmonton is kind of a shit-hole. Went through there a few times when I was assigned the Canada road trip (Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver) in the early '00s. Edmonton was pretty much a dump but that arena is a fun place to catch a hockey game. The pressbox hangs out over the stands so you're looking right down on the ice. I remember the PA guy being pretty awesome too. Calgary was better than Edmonton and world-class Vancouver was miles ahead of both those places.

• Hook 'Em 3

Going back to the odds discussion in this thread (or maybe the other NHL thread), Stars are favored -120 or -125 for Series odds based on 2 books I looked at.   That's a bit surprising as I thought it would be around -140 or so (which is how much FL is favored over NYR).    For comparison, we were favored -130 against Vegas and I think -135 against Colorado.   Advanced stats love Edmonton (Moneypuck has them at 57% chance to advance) so maybe should have seen that coming.  I mean even that game we won 5-0 back in early April, I'm pretty sure Moneypuck only had us at like 55% or something on the "deserve to win ometer" as I think they outshot us.    I feel like we have a big depth advantage + a goalie advantage although the latter will definitely be tested.  I think this extra rest is important for the D that were logging heavy minutes to get their legs back.   Sure would be nice if we could start the series off winning game 1 for once.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Going back to the odds discussion in this thread (or maybe the other NHL thread), Stars are favored -120 or -125 for Series odds based on 2 books I looked at.   That's a bit surprising as I thought it would be around -140 or so (which is how much FL is favored over NYR).    For comparison, we were favored -130 against Vegas and I think -135 against Colorado.   Advanced stats love Edmonton (Moneypuck has them at 57% chance to advance) so maybe should have seen that coming.  I mean even that game we won 5-0 back in early April, I'm pretty sure Moneypuck only had us at like 55% or something on the "deserve to win ometer" as I think they outshot us.    I feel like we have a big depth advantage + a goalie advantage although the latter will definitely be tested.  I think this extra rest is important for the D that were logging heavy minutes to get their legs back.   Sure would be nice if we could start the series off winning game 1 for once.  

I kinda like we're still flying under the radar. It's very clear to me who has and who has not been watching the Stars all season. As someone said on the previous broadcast, we have been playing the same all year. Did not lose 3 games in regulation all season. in fact, I went back and looked at the season results, and we did not lose 4 games in regulation in any 7-game stretch this season. A few streaks with several OTL's in there, but those are basically coin flips. Played out in playoff style, I bet a bunch of those overtimes flip our way.

Quick summary of the two teams and who is scoring. If we shut down their top 5 point getters in the playoffs, they lose 72% of their offense, versus 52% for our top 5. From there it gets pretty interesting.

Summary.jpg

Everyone who has skated for the Stars in at least two games has a point. That's nuts. 

8 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Eat a dick, Corey Perry!

Think he's been a healthy scratch last few games.  Didn't follow closely enough to know if matchup driven or he's just getting old and was a liability

Canada has some surprising entrance requirements that catch some travelers short. Drug convictions or minor violent crime (domestic violence) can require you to get special permission to enter Canada. This isn't a quick process, so start early.

Public Service Message because this is Surly and it's likely to be germane.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Quick summary of the two teams and who is scoring. If we shut down their top 5 point getters in the playoffs, they lose 72% of their offense, versus 52% for our top 5. From there it gets pretty interesting.

Summary.jpg

Everyone who has skated for the Stars in at least two games has a point. That's nuts. 

Chris Tanev seems like he sucks!  🤣

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

2 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Chris Tanev seems like he sucks!  🤣

only +1! 😛

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Practices been closed?  Was hoping to hear if roope has been participating. 

day off today. practice tomorrow

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68