Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

53 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

This is a good assessment of the situation IMO:

I expect — I demand — moral clarity from Democratic leaders at this unprecedented crossroads in our history.

Moral clarity, ACTION, and greater TRANSPARENCY.

It pains me to say this because I respect @SpeakerPelosi’s accomplishments as a woman and a legislator.

However, so far, Pelosi is failing to rise to the moment. 

qft

Dennison loves being controlled opposition and looking at everything through the GOP lens.  As if Donald Trump isn’t some catastrophic liability for them anyway.   Dems don’t need to walk on eggshells right now, they need to discover their new identity and evolve into an indestructible party powered by an overwhelming grassroots movement of people.  Republicans are going to do the same tired shit as always...lie their ass off.  

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Dennison loves being controlled opposition and looking at everything through the GOP lens.  As if Donald Trump isn’t some catastrophic liability for them anyway.   Dems don’t need to walk on eggshells right now, they need to discover their new identity and evolve into an indestructible party powered by and overwhelming grassroots movement of people.  Republicans are going to do the same tired shit as always...lie their ass off.  

No, I don't. I look at it for what it is. It's politics. The Hill works a certain way and you don't get anything done when your caucus is fractured. 

I want it to be as far left as those four women. But they are going about it in exactly the wrong way. They'll learn.

20 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Or try to bring others you work with to your side instead of alienating them. Nancy Pelosi admonished them because other members were getting tired of the attacks. 

Yep, gotta grease all the wheels and make sure everyone is happy instead of doing what got you elected in the first place which is fight for what you believe in. Fuck off

9 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

So your proposal is essentially to cut off the supply of workers?  THAT'S your recipe for a "functioning, growing society"?

The mind boggles.  See if you can connect the dots here . . . what would happen if the cost of your produce, your plate of pasta, your new house . . . tripled?  How is that going to help our economy?

Jesus Christ, man.  I hope you're on a fishing expedition here.

HOLY FUCK!!! TRIPLED!!! Can you site some studies and/or statistics that you didn't pull from your rectum?

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

AOC wasn’t really playing the race card on Pelosi.  She wasn’t calling Pelosi racist.  She was being factually accurate that those four are being singled out because they are people of color.   Pelosi was reacting to the Fox News/RW media obsession with vilifying those four because they are people of color and standing up for themselves.  

Pelosi should know better than anyone that the minorities need to be defended now more than ever and she’s happy to just throw them under the bus to placate the blue dog democrats. 

It’s pathetic 

So accusing a white woman of singling four women out simply for the color of their skin without a shred of proof isn’t playing the race card?

Since fucking when?

The only reason Pelosi isn’t being loudly accused of racism is the D after her name.

19 minutes ago, Poolflood said:

Legal or illegal and please show your work

Yeah I called BS as I read that. They were probably at historic lows during the 2007-2009 economic melt down, when the construction industry floundered, and people were actually crossing back over to Mexico because there was no construction work. With the construction boom in full swing that has reversed, and the numbers have swelled again.  Border agents have stated that they're seeing larger numbers than they have in years.

48 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

No, I don't. I look at it for what it is. It's politics. The Hill works a certain way and you don't get anything done when your caucus is fractured. 

I want it to be as far left as those four women. But they are going about it in exactly the wrong way. They'll learn.

The only thing they really did wrong wasn't even done by them; it was done by AOC's chief of staff, who went too far in a tweet and then deleted it.   After getting their support for Speaker, Pelosi has been publicly talking shit about them and privately freezing them out for months.   And they've pretty much stayed quiet about her until she had the gall to call them out for not being discreet.   Pelosi has been way out of line, and I'm not the only one who has lost a ton of respect for her as a result. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

The only thing they really did wrong wasn't even done by them; it was done by AOC's chief of staff, who went too far in a tweet and then deleted it.   After getting their support for Speaker, Pelosi has been publicly talking shit about them and privately freezing them out for months.   And they've pretty much stayed quiet about her until she had the gall to call them out for not being discreet.   Pelosi has been way out of line, and I'm not the only one who has lost a ton of respect for her as a result. 

I have little respect for any politician who remains at the trough for as long as she has.

31 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

But you are in the minority.

11 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

But you are in the minority.

I'm not sure how much longer that will be true. It's certainly not true on this board. You are the only Pelosi fanboy we've got. The longer Pelosi takes to fulfill her Constitutional duty to launch impeach hearings on Trump, the less support she will have. Her current path is going to massively depress Dem enthusiasm and turnout. 

In the meantime, she is getting worked by the GOP on messaging and passing bills that have a less than 0% chance of being approved in the Senate. She needs to stop fiddling while Rome burns, grab a fucking bucket and get to bailing.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I have little respect for any politician who remains at the trough for as long as she has.

So how do you feel about Mitch McConnell and Chuck Grassley?  Please understand that your reply will be judged against your long-established track record here.

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

So how do you feel about Mitch McConnell and Chuck Grassley?  Please understand that your reply will be judged against your long-established track record here.

My comments cover any and all politicians regardless of party.

1 hour ago, Mojo Hand said:

AOC directly threw down the race card when she told the Washington Post that Pelosi was targeting "women of color". 

Her star is just burning too bright.

29 minutes ago, suddenly shaggy said:

I'm not sure how much longer that will be true. It's certainly not true on this board. You are the only Pelosi fanboy we've got. The longer Pelosi takes to fulfill her Constitutional duty to launch impeach hearings on Trump, the less support she will have. Her current path is going to massively depress Dem enthusiasm and turnout. 

In the meantime, she is getting worked by the GOP on messaging and passing bills that have a less than 0% chance of being approved in the Senate. She needs to stop fiddling while Rome burns, grab a fucking bucket and get to bailing.  

I hope you're right.

I don't think you are, though. I think the Democratic Party and most of its voters are way more moderate than we would like.

For now.

Also, you would hate the bills that could pass the Senate. So would I.

Edited by David Dennison

31 minutes ago, suddenly shaggy said:

First, I completely disagree with whatever Pelosi is doing because it’s blatantly a party over country calculation. 

However, the only scenario I see Pelosi attempting here is that she wants to ensure Trump is on the ballot in 2020.   She has worked her ass off to keep public opinion down on impeachment.  Seriously, she’s thrown so much cold water on the idea it’s insane and she hasn’t pushed hard on Trump’s other vulnerable areas like his finances, human rights violations, and a dozen other scandals. 

I don’t think she’s avoiding impeachment simply because she thinks it would be unsuccessful.  I think she’s avoiding it because it’s a situation she couldn’t control.  It’s much easier to game plan an effective campaign against Trump in an election than run an impeachment gambit where he could resign or come out stronger. 

The main reason is Trump’s unfavorable numbers, they’re off the charts.  People will come out of the woodwork just to vote against Donald Trump.  He is so hated by a large segment of the population it could be a windfall for democrats in 2020 across the board if the electorate is expanded like it could be.  However, the only way to ensure this is Trump must be on the ballot.  It doesn’t work with anyone else. 

Will it work? I dunno and again I disagree with this approach because she’s being complicit with an outlaw regime. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 2

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

First, I completely disagree with whatever Pelosi is doing because it’s blatantly a party over country calculation. 

However, the only scenario I see Pelosi attempting here is that she wants to ensure Trump is on the ballot in 2020.   She has worked her ass off to keep public opinion down on impeachment.  Seriously, she’s thrown so much cold water on the idea it’s insane and she hasn’t pushed hard on Trump’s other vulnerable areas like his finances, human rights violations, and a dozen other scandals. 

I don’t think she’s avoiding impeachment simply because she thinks it would be unsuccessful.  I think she’s avoiding it because it’s a situation she couldn’t control.  It’s much easier to game plan an effective campaign against Trump in an election than run an impeachment gambit where he could resign or come out stronger. 

The main reason is Trump’s unfavorable numbers, they’re off the charts.  People will come out of the woodwork just to vote against Donald Trump.  He is so hated by a large segment of the population it could be a windfall for democrats in 2020 across the board if the electorate is expanded like it could be.  However, the only way to ensure this is Trump must be on the ballot.  It doesn’t work with anyone else. 

Will it work? I dunno and again I disagree with this approach because she’s being complicit in an outlaw regime. 

Name one, just one, Speaker of the House where this was not the case.

It's politics. It's always going to be party over country as long as there are parties. It's why the founders were so suspicious of factions. But factions formed into parties anyway.

I don't really care about Pelosi doing her thing as Speaker and not catering to the AOC squad.   There was just nothing positive about Pelosi repeatedly trolling AOC in the media and then gaslighting her in the last closed-door meeting.   I suspect it's just an ego thing, in that she resents the attention AOC gets.  Or maybe she's pissed about Crowley.   Whatever it is, it didn't serve the party or the country.

1 hour ago, EuroHorn said:

AOC represents one vote in the House.  Get a group of 40+ that agrees with her shit then she becomes a player. Nancy knows this 

That day is coming. She will learn how to navigate Washington. When she does it will not be fun to be opposed to her. 

10 minutes ago, TtomTerrific said:

JimmyJazz on JimmyJazz violence vis a vis reckless claims of racism as a "tap out" move is actually the draining of the swamp. 

Well done ladies. 

Trump will walk into a second term, probably from the golf course. 

Y'all can't help yourselves. 

He's the underdog in 2020.

Just now, David Dennison said:

And he's more likely to lose in 2020 than he is to win.

That's how unpopular he is.

People cannot wait to vote against him. He is Hillary in 2020.

" He is Hillary in 2020."    Hillary was never President, see the video above.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Alvin89 said:

" He is Hillary in 2020."    Hillary was never President, see the video above.

He's going to be the more hated candidate that people want to vote against. The Democrats can throw anyone up there and Donald Trump will be the underdog in this election. He probably wants it that way.

I think he's going to lose by a large margin. 

But he might win.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Will it work? I dunno and again I disagree with this approach because she’s being complicit with an outlaw regime. 

I think this is the correct answer.  And let's say Trump gets impeached, which the Senate won't do even if he's caught in bed with a dead girl or live boy: we got President Pence.  And everyone knows he's a stiff and a moron but he kinda looks presidential so the anti-Trump air is out of the ballon.

13 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

i agree too. she’ll learn fast and continue to grow, gain experience and rise within the party. 

i can only assume you misread what you quoted. 

No, what he's saying is "she won't last, she's a flash in the pan."  

She ain't running for re-election in Texas.  Right now she can stay as long as she wants.

22 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

No, what he's saying is "she won't last, she's a flash in the pan."  

She ain't running for re-election in Texas.  Right now she can stay as long as she wants.

yes, i know.  i was playing along because trolling people like that is fun.

like i said, he misread/misunderstood.  i'm sure it happens pretty often.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez