Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Why ?  That's exactly what both parties have done for more than 50 or 60 years now.  Find a young hopeful, and put them in a district where they need to shore up party members.  I'm sure the party could find somebody who would run against her.  

I think this has been funny as shit to watch because it shows how hypocritical the "tolerant" left is.  They're no more tolerant than anyone else in 'Merica, and in fact are less when it comes to going against the tribe.

Pelosi is a typical limousine liberal, claims social equality for everyone, but wouldn't socialize with the likes of an AOC type. I love that AOC has been like a stealth bomb in the DNC hierarchy.

You support Donald Trump.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

Jesus STFU, with your one trick pony "but Trump" comments.  I supported Trumps victory over a POS like Hillary, and would vote the same way again if she ran. 

That's why your opinion on anything is not worth listening to.

• Like 5
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

That's why your opinion on anything is not worth listening to.

Oh noes you don't like my opinions... whatever will I do...  That you don't like my opinion tells me it's the correct opinion.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

5 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah it was for sure, and it came out of left field.  It was an anomaly like Trumps win over Hillary, an outlier.

As I thought, you just want to hate AOC and love Trump.  The first change you get, it's Trump, Trump, Trump.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Bullneck said:

As I thought, you just want to hate AOC and love Trump.  The first change you get, it's Trump, Trump, Trump.  

Yeah sure, that's what I did. I've stated several times on this site that I like AOC's enthusiasm, and her zeal, but she doesn't always know when to shut the hell up.  I like that she actually seems to be in Congress for the right reasons even if I don't agree with her brand of politics.

And please show me how I've said, Yay Trump ?  I love that Pelosi is getting her nose rubbed in the very shit game she likes to play, and her authority being questioned is funny as hell. She's another of those life long hogs at the trough looking out for her own selfish agenda.

3 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

You love the worst president in our history.

If you think you're tweaking my nose somehow forget it. He did what I wanted, he beat the most corrupt POS in Washington for the last 50 years.

The bonus is he pisses off the democrats regardless of what he does.  I won't shed a single tear when he's not re elected. If he is re elected I'll shake my head in disbelief that he could win after so much gnashing of teeth, and wringing hands by the left.

Again show me where I've dissed AOC, and extolled Trumps virtues. I'll wait.......

6 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

And this is precisely the problem.

I agree. The party and the members within it are not nearly as progressive as many of us want. But that is reality. This Democratic majority exists not because of far left members like AOC, which is what I prefer, but because of centrist Democrats from red districts. That sucks and it presents leadership with the unenviable task of holding together a caucus that is much more ideologically diverse than the Republicans. They have purged all of their moderates. Democrats haven't been able to do that because Democratic voters are not as far left as the party's loudest voices in the media.

Edited by David Dennison

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

If you think you're tweaking my nose somehow forget it. He did what I wanted, he beat the most corrupt POS in Washington for the last 50 years.

The bonus is he pisses off the democrats regardless of what he does.  I won't shed a single tear when he's not re elected. If he is re elected I'll shake my head in disbelief that he could win after so much gnashing of teeth, and wringing hands by the left.

Again show me where I've dissed AOC, and extolled Trumps virtues. I'll wait.......

You voted for someone who is even more corrupt. By a lot. Oh, and he's a sexual predator and a racist. 

Good job.

• Like 1

Just now, David Dennison said:

What do you think would have happened inside the party if there was no bill?

It's not about what would have happened; it's about what should have happened.  AOC was exactly right.   The Dems needed to stand together to demand protections for the kids in the camps.   Mitch McConnell refusing to accept those changes vs the Dems pushing for them is a public fight worth having, and a fight the Dems would win.  

It's no answer to say "But they couldn't do that because the moderate Dems capitulated."  That's exactly the point and the problem.  And I don't buy the "moderate Dems have to placate their purple/red districts."  This isn't the Green New Deal; it's toothbrushes and fresh water for women and children.  It's exactly the sort of thing that led some suburban Republicans to leave Trump for Dems in the first place. 

• Like 2

^ This isn't 1995. There are lots of ways to get your message out. Take hours of video and tons of images at the border. Broadcast those to the nation, and fight for something.

Aunt Nancy is good for coming out of her office once a week, and talking tough. Then ... nothing. Not a good sign.

Edited by retread

2 minutes ago, elfenix said:

it's amazing that you still think we dodged a bullet by avoiding hillary as president.

Hillary Clinton was everything wrong with our political system in one candidate. Her entire career has been one smoking gun of behind the door scandal, and she bought the DNC which had no issues with her as long as they won. Party uber alles.  People like her should never be allowed to attain office.

Trump was an outsider, something our government is sorely in need of. Parties are for parties and nothing else. He wasn't the candidate I wanted, but he beat that POS, and for that yes, a bullet was dodged for damn sure. Rewarding Hillary with the office she would do, and did do anything she could do to attain it, illegally in many instances through out her time in Washington would set the precedence for more like her.

Trump is like chemotherapy, bad medicine that will be survived. I want more outsider candidates (why I liked AOC's victory). If we're going to survive as a functioning democratic republic we better get more of them running before the parties bury us in their own self interests, that have nothing to do with actual honest governance.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

It's not about what would have happened; it's about what should have happened.  AOC was exactly right.   The Dems needed to stand together to demand protections for the kids in the camps.   Mitch McConnell refusing to accept those changes vs the Dems pushing for them is a public fight worth having, and a fight the Dems would win.  

It's no answer to say "But they couldn't do that because the moderate Dems capitulated."  That's exactly the point and the problem.  And I don't buy the "moderate Dems have to placate their purple/red districts."  This isn't the Green New Deal; it's toothbrushes and fresh water for women and children.  It's exactly the sort of thing that led some suburban Republicans to leave Trump for Dems in the first place. 

I agree it's what should have happened, but that's not the reality in Washington. The Democrats should have refused to pass the amended bill. But the majority of them supported it. That speaks volumes about where the party really is ideologically. I hate it just as much as you do. The left flank of the party could not convince a majority of the Democratic caucus to support their position. AOC and the left lost this particular political battle. Maybe it had something to do with her tactics and her visibility. I don't know. But her act is grating on a not insignificant number of Democrats in the House. They complained about it to Nancy Pelosi and that's what last week's dust up was about. 

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Hillary Clinton was everything wrong with our political system in one candidate. Her entire career has been one smoking gun of behind the door scandal, and she bought the DNC which had no issues with her as long as they won. Party uber alles.  People like her should never be allowed to attain office.

Trump was an outsider, something our government is sorely in need of. Parties are for parties and nothing else. He wasn't the candidate I wanted, but he beat that POS, and for that yes, a bullet was dodged for damn sure. Rewarding Hillary with the office she would do, and did do anything she could do to attain it, illegally in many instances through out her time in Washington would set the precedence for more like her.

Trump is like chemotherapy, bad medicine that will be survived. I want more outsider candidates (why I liked AOC's victory). If we're going to survive as a functioning democratic republic we better get more of them running before the parties bury us in their own self interests, that have nothing to do with actual honest governance.

Everything you were worried about is worse now. He's more of everything that you don't like about Clinton. 

You stepped right in front of the bullet. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The whiplash from sentence to sentence here is astounding. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Jesus STFU, with your one trick pony "but Trump" comments.  I supported Trumps victory over a POS like Hillary, and would vote the same way again if she ran. 

And that's why you suck.  You couldn't act patriotic if we spotted you the Constitution and a primer to understand what it says.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Justice Democrats are thisclose to calling the CBC a bunch of Uncle Toms.  This is all very healthy for the party heading into 2020.  Identity politics at its finest.

You seem hyper focused on this petty Dem infighting that will amount to nothing.   It’s just another distraction to divide democrats.  So what if they are divided?  They should be.  This Dems need to do their fucking job and prosecute this president instead of being complicit.  

40 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I agree it's what should have happened, but that's not the reality in Washington. The Democrats should have refused to pass the amended bill. But the majority of them supported it. That speaks volumes about where the party really is ideologically. I hate it just as much as you do. The left flank of the party could not convince a majority of the Democratic caucus to support their position. AOC and the left lost this particular political battle. Maybe it had something to do with her tactics and her visibility. I don't know. But her act is grating on a not insignificant number of Democrats in the House. They complained about it to Nancy Pelosi and that's what last week's dust up was about. 

It's not about where the party is ideologically.   Sure, the AOC group is further left than most, but the House bill that got all but their votes was much further left than the Senate bill that the Dems rubber stamped.  Protections for people in the camps is an easy sell to everyone except the racists on the far right. 

It's about where the party is strategically, and has been during the entire GOP takeover of government over the last 25 years.  Dems think that voters are ideologically static and try to pander to the common denominator.   Republicans know that a huge chunk of voters are ideologically flexible, and they push those voters towards their extreme.   The result is extreme right policies when they're in power and more traditional Republican policies when the Dems win a foothold in Congress or the presidency.  Those same voters can be pushed the other way if presented with confident, unified persuasive efforts from Dems. 

The AOC group has the strategy exactly right, and the Dems will continue to fail until they realize it. 

Edited by Mojo Hand
  • Like 5

47 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The only problem with this nonsense is that it consists entirely of fairy tale thinking.  Trump is Hitler II.  Nothing more or less.  

6 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

It's not about where the party is ideologically.   Sure, the AOC group is further left than most, but the House bill that got all but their votes was much further left than the Senate bill that the Dems rubber stamped.  Protections for people in the camps is an easy sell to everyone except the racists on the far right. 

It's about where the party is strategically, and has been during the entire GOP takeover of government over the last 25 years.  Dems think that voters are ideologically static and try to pander to the common denominator.   Republicans know that a huge chunk of voters are ideologically flexible, and they push those voters towards their extreme.   The result is extreme right policies when they're in power and more traditional Republican policies when the Dems win a foothold in Congress or the presidency.  Those same voters can be pushed the other way if presented with confident, unified persuasive efforts from Dems. 

The AOC group has the strategy exactly right, and the Dems will continue to fail until they realize it. 

All of this is correct 

America is center-right and will be for another generation or two. AOC/Tlaib/Omar/a couple others are on the far left side of the all important Bell Curve.  Why is everyone surprised that their motions are ignored by their own party? 

2 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

The only problem with this nonsense is that it consists entirely of fairy tale thinking.  Trump is Hitler II.  Nothing more or less.  

Oh noes not Hitler II !!!!  well OK, it's just Hitler II. Re runs are never as powerful as the original anyway.

That someone with allegedly firing synapse would use the Hitler reference about Trump (or any modern day elected official) is so boring it's not even funny any more.

11 minutes ago, NowThis said:

America is center-right and will be for another generation or two. AOC/Tlaib/Omar/a couple others are on the far left side of the all important Bell Curve.  Why is everyone surprised that their motions are ignored by their own party? 

People in government are center-right. The American people are center-left.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, NowThis said:

generation or two?  have you looked at polling numbers from the olds vs numbers from the under 30’s?

center-right is extremely lucky if it has one more election cycle in it. all the census meddling in the world won’t stop what’s coming. 

• Like 2

America is not center-right.

America is an oligarchic "democracy" wherein the poor and minority classes are wildly disenfranchised from voting. If our voting rates were at 70%+, Bernie would be the centrist option (which is what he actually is).

Edited by bad_teammate
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

generation or two?  have you looked at polling numbers from the olds vs numbers from the under 30’s?

center-right is extremely lucky if it has one more election cycle in it. all the census meddling in the world won’t stop what’s coming. 

the youngs become the olds.  I've become more conservative over the last couple of decades and I suspect many of you will be the same. Of course I'll never vote R but some people will convert. Depends on the economy first and foremost and other social conditions, maybe crime. It's regional too of course, Alabama and the redneck culture isn't going to die soon (despite Roy Moore). As minorities become wealthier, they too will become more conservative.  We'll see. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NowThis said:

the youngs become the olds.  I've become more conservative over the last couple of decades and I suspect many of you will be the same. Of course I'll never vote R but some people will convert. Depends on the economy first and foremost and other social conditions, maybe crime. It's regional too of course, Alabama and the redneck culture isn't going to die soon (despite Roy Moore). As minorities become wealthier, they too will become more conservative.  We'll see. 

And you're wrong. Been over this before. We react to the administration that's in place as we begin voting at 18 and typically adhere to it the rest of our lives. You go get your research and I'll get mine.

8 minutes ago, NowThis said:

highly populated areas are becoming more so.  rural areas, not so much.

you seen how those areas vote?

some of the youngs can turn right.  won't make up for all the olds that will die off.  the under 30's absolutely hate the gop right now, and that includes people that can't even vote yet.  but will be able to soon.  they live online.  that's not a good thing for the right.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez