Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

9 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Why not? There are somethings that may require fossil fuels for quite a while. But it certainly seems feasible for to replace vast majority of energy generated with fossil fuels - e.g., power plants and ground transportation, well within 100 years.  

First off tell what they are going to be replaced with.  If something more efficient existed we would be using it now.   Secondly count how many power plants there currently are in the United States that rely on fossil fuels.  Those will all have to be replaced.  You are talking about replacing 85% of the current electrical power grid in this country.  (More if she actually wants to do away with nuclear energy too.)  Let's also remember all of these vast railroad systems she is proposing will have to be electrified as well.  All of these new power plants will have to be inspected by the government before they begin operations.  Hell, that alone will take ten years, actually make that twenty years.  I forgot the government will have to do an endless number of studies on each power plant's environmental impact of it's surrounding area before any construction begins.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Democrats do a worse job of uniting people then Republicans do at anything Republicans try to do, including acting like actual Republicans and controlling fiscal spending.  You can't unite people when all you see are the skin color of people.  You have to see every person as being an unique individual.  Democrats see groups, not individuals.  To the Democrats any particular African-American is a clone of every other African-American.  Any particular gay person is a clone of every other gay person.  Any particular Hispanic is a clone of every other Hispanic. Democrats believe every person that is a part of these groups acts, thinks, and behaves the same way.  That is why they have such a hissy fit over gay, African-American, and Hispanic conservatives.  They literally do not understand how such a person can not think or believe like the way they think they should think or believe.

You vote for and support a party that is based on white identity politics. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Democrats have zero interest in uniting with bigots and idiots.  Full stop.

Let me translate this.  Democrats have zero interest in uniting with anyone who does not think like they door believe in their governmental policies.  And in this part you are correct.

3 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

You have to wonder about the white guys so anxious to find a loophole to allow them to say nigger. To me, it's very strange. Or it's something far worse than strange.

I'll actually acknowledge the parallel strangeness of a word having so much power, but there it is. White people (I'm one) should resolve to never think the concept of nigger let alone feel the need to use the word. I italicize the word to be clear that I think it is a special word that ought to be separated from other language.

Hmmm, see I'm a white guy named after a black guy who has zero interest in saying that word.

Is it ok for me to bring up the fact that Afro Americans use it sometimes as a term of endearment/familirarity and sometimes just because they consider others amongst them within their own ethnicity the N word?

1 minute ago, EMAWesome said:

First off tell what they are going to be replaced with.  If something more efficient existed we would be using it now.   Secondly count how many power plants there currently are in the United States that rely on fossil fuels.  Those will all have to be replaced.  You are talking about replacing 85% of the current electrical power grid in this country.  (More if she actually wants to do away with nuclear energy too.)  Let's also remember all of these vast railroad systems she is proposing will have to be electrified as well.  All of these new power plants will have to be inspected by the government before they begin operations.  Hell, that alone will take ten years, actually make that twenty years.  I forgot the government will have to do an endless number of studies on each power plant's environmental impact of it's surrounding area before any construction begins.

I was going to take the shovel away from you but on second thought.....keep digging Trump boy. 

Just now, Cajun said:

Hmmm, see I'm a white guy named after a black guy who has zero interest in saying that word.

Is it ok for me to bring up the fact that Afro Americans use it sometimes as a term of endearment/familirarity and sometimes just because they consider others amongst them within their own ethnicity the N word?

It's OK for you to bring it up. It's not OK for you to use it. That's not your word anymore.

I notice no one wants to actually answer the question.  That's because you know you either have to condone the use of the word by a white person or you have to call Bob Dylan a racist.  You have backed yourself into a corner where there is no middle ground and no such thing as context or nuance.   For the record, no I do not think Dylan is a racist.   

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Sure, as long as you realize why they did so. 

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It's OK for you to bring it up. It's not OK for you to use it. That's not your word anymore.

Let me help you with a little something, it was never my word.

I know, I know, I should still feel the shame.

10 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

EMAW is a case study for how Rs have gone insane.

The worst part is people LIKE THIS are a majority of the Big 12.

We have got to get out of this cesspool of wannabe SEC mouth breathing idiots.  

Just now, Cajun said:

Let me help you with a little something, it was never my word.

I know, I know, I should still feel the shame.

But you heard it a lot. What age were you when said to those saying it....nah, please don't use that around me. 

For me, it was in my late 20s to friends and acquaintances that I might care about. To people with more power in the workplace than I, not once. 

Just now, David Dennison said:

Good. Then you know better than to use it. And you should feel ashamed. All white people in this country should. Our history is abhorrent.

Nope, not a bit.  Sorry man.

I don't share in your guilt just like I don't share in a racist's hate.

8 minutes ago, Cajun said:

You don't care about my opinion any more than I care about what you do. You're assuming your cool dude persona again. You don't listen to or vote for anyone you seem aligned with. You're a free thinker. You're your own man. 

It's the last ditch for somebody when they staked their identity on an external entity that turns out to be a dangerous and criminal fraud. Hey, I was never one of them! I'm what you call a maverick! You're a sheep!

Oh, you don't like me making assumptions about how you think and what your history is? Maybe there's a lesson there, Ace.

• Like 1

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

He actually envoked Mack Brown to make me feel the sads.  I still don't get it.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

He actually envoked Mack Brown to make me feel the sads.  I still don't get it.

Don't you remember how I was on the old Shaggy and HF MB threads?  This is the same.

It's the offseason Jimmy.

Then yay

Oh, you wanna talk drugs?

Well, well...

And this...

Home of the best pizza in the world .

I find to be the most offensive thing I've read on this thread.  Atone for your sins!

Edited by Cajun

How much for the session counselor.

Junior therapists pullin' down good coin these days?

I'd guess with this logic you secretly want to have sex with the Donald.

Dang man, I didn't know how much you were carrying around.

Edited by Cajun
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Solar and wind already make up a large part of the grid, and their influence is growing (17% of generation in the US last year was from renewable sources). Texas, home of oil, hit 18 percent from just wind and solar in 2017 (https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/plugged-in/texas-got-18-percent-of-its-energy-from-wind-and-solar-last-year/). From 2007 to Present, wind energy generation in the US went from 34.5 TWh to 250+ TWh. France runs 70% of its grid off of nuclear power, so it is clearly possible.  I feel very confident in predicting that 80+% of our grid will be from non-fossil fuel sources in the next 50 years. And we could do it faster if we really tried. 

Solar and wind already make up a large part of the grid, and their influence is growing (17% of generation in the US last year was from renewable sources). Texas, home of oil, hit 18 percent from just wind and solar in 2017 (https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/plugged-in/texas-got-18-percent-of-its-energy-from-wind-and-solar-last-year/). From 2007 to Present, wind energy generation in the US went from 34.5 TWh to 250+ TWh. France runs 70% of its grid off of nuclear power, so it is clearly possible.  I feel very confident in predicting that 80+% of our grid will be from non-fossil fuel sources in the next 50 years. And we could do it faster if we really tried. 

22 minutes ago, Pokemon said:

See, tangents.

How the F are we talking about Mack Brown now!

In 2 pages this thread will become an argument about deep dish pizza.

Nothing to argue about. Deep dish pizza is not pizza. It is a bucket of fat, designed to help Chicagoans survive winter in their caves.

• Like 1

100% renewable and 100% carbon-free are different things, and that should be the battle on the left. While we can be concerned with the long-term problem of storing nuclear waste, nuclear power plants do not contribute to climate change.

Climate change is the immediate threat. Leaking in Yucca would be terrible, but it's not going to cause global climate catastrophe that kills hundreds of millions.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

100% renewable and 100% carbon-free are different things, and that should be the battle on the left. While we can be concerned with the long-term problem of storing nuclear waste, nuclear power plants do not contribute to climate change.

Climate change is the immediate threat. Leaking in Yucca would be terrible, but it's not going to cause global climate catastrophe that kills hundreds of millions.

How about the libtards let the West use the MASSIVE amount of hydroelectric power(read zero fucking carbon) that is wasted each year?

Wouldn't it be cool if the right stopped pretending science didn't exist and advocated those kinds of solutions to this extremely pressing problem? Wouldn't it be cool if the right started coming up with market-based, capitalism-friendly solutions?

What a wonderful world it would be if it wasn't a party of fundamentally stupid obstructionists, right?

• Like 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez