Worldwide Israel/Palestine War Protests Thread

bolverk

5 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

If you ask Iraqi’s they are probably still pretty happy we did it….  Especially the ones living here now that I know.  🤷🏻‍♂️

Doesn't really matter what they think, TBH, it wasn't our place to invade another country that did nothing to us.

It cost us a lot in terms of the service members who died, or were injured, the wasted tax dollars and our standing in the world.  

What exactly did we gain?

Just now, wildcat09 said:

Well, the millions who died or were forced to flee the country probably aren't going to be available to answer any questions. 

6 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Well, the millions who died or were forced to flee the country probably aren't going to be available to answer any questions. 

72% of Iraqi’s main concern was safety in 2003, now it’s 20%.   Relationships between tribes and religious sects was viewed as over 70% negative then now is at 30%.  We can debate reasons all day but a lot of Iraqi’s like their life post Saddam vs pre.  

13 minutes ago, Skipper said:

It's pretty fucking embarrassing that the Cloak Room regulars are trying to fucking justify or play down this type of idiocy.  It's beyond unacceptable.   I'm sure they would have the exact same "no big deal" opinion if it were MAGA idiots showing up harassing D appointed judges or similar.

Absolutely. It defies logic. Blatantly hypocritical and those CR lefties that disagree with them, who are probably great in number, are silent on this. 

The silence from some verbose, bombastic CR regulars is deafening. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Doesn't really matter what they think, TBH, it wasn't our place to invade another country that did nothing to us.

It cost us a lot in terms of the service members who died, or were injured, the wasted tax dollars and our standing in the world.  

What exactly did we gain?

True, like I said you can debate that all day but overall they are happier.  Also 72% of Americans were for the invasion before it started with risk of servicemen’s lives included in the poll.  It’s easy to look back and play Monday morning qb.  Your’e very correct in that we didn’t gain much.  

17 minutes ago, Skipper said:

It's pretty fucking embarrassing that the Cloak Room regulars are trying to fucking justify or play down this type of idiocy.  It's beyond unacceptable.   I'm sure they would have the exact same "no big deal" opinion if it were MAGA idiots showing up harassing D appointed judges or similar.

You shouldn't show up to someone's house like that, especially at 4AM, it's just goofy to try and characterize it as a home invasion. That skinny mfer ain't invading anybody's home.

It's idiotic, juvenile behavior designed to intimidate.  Why not drop of your "demands" to the regents office?  Why are you wearing a full head covering to obscure your face, probably assuming they have a door camera?  Why do it in the middle of the night vs earlier, or during the day?  If it HAS to be his house, why not a sealed envelope in the mailbox?

This was designed to elicit and emotional response from the recipient.  "We know where you live".  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

True, like I said you can debate that all day but overall they are happier.  Also 72% of Americans were for the invasion before it started with risk of servicemen’s lives included in the poll.  It’s easy to look back and play Monday morning qb.  Your’e very correct in that we didn’t gain much.  

It's not Monday morning QB...I was against the Iraq invasion and against the Afghan invasion.  

Also, how much of that polling was due to people being lied to about Iraq's nuclear capabilities?

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

72% of Iraqi’s main concern was safety in 2003, now it’s 20%.   Relationships between tribes and religious sects was viewed as over 70% negative then now is at 30%.  We can debate reasons all day but a lot of Iraqi’s like their life post Saddam vs pre.  

Also, can you share these polls?  I found this one, but it doesn't seem to match.

Iraqis Look Back: Is Life Better Today? (gallup.com)

2 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Well that’s not AT ALL what that video depicted. Ethnic cleansing?  You really are something. 

Direct quote from the speaker:

"The solution is what the Torah tells us: It's to liberate, to settle, and to expel."

That is the literal definition of ethnic cleansing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rex Kramer said:

We’re not in CR and 956 isn’t your typical CR poster. Even he, though, is extremely careful in CR. 

I read CR, and have read many 956 posts there. His posts benefit the board.

Not sure of the distinction you are making, I guess. Would it help if I said that I would feel threatened by folks at my door in the early morning?

As I have posted, this happened, when a neighboring couple brought their marital spat through my front door around 1AM, and I threw the husband out of my house, while the ladies in my family tended the wife. No guns were used.

11 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

I read CR, and have read many 956 posts there. His posts benefit the board.

Not sure of the distinction you are making, I guess. Would it help if I said that I would feel threatened by folks at my door in the early morning?

As I have posted, this happened, when a neighboring couple brought their marital spat through my front door around 1AM, and I threw the husband out of my house, while the ladies in my family tended the wife. No guns were used.

Yes it helps. It’d also help if you admonished idiotic takes like those of bolverk, Fantana, F250, and Hank Hill, instead of remaining silent because you otherwise agree with them. 

And no, what occurred to you is not apples to apples. 

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Looks exactly like what I said, pic is from the poll you posted. They feel safer by far but have bad memories of war, duh.  Life overall is better now though.  

IMG_6259.png

I don't think people being more afraid to walk outside at night during the middle of a war (when most of the fighting happened) is really what you were talking about. 

I'm looking for the 2003 poll numbers you cited.

Plus, since the increase in safety happened around 2011, when the US left, you could make the argument that they were afraid of the US troops.

Edited by DixonHur
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'm just going to point out one time that you do not have to bother arguing with the guy in 2024 who just casually dismissed the deaths of hundreds of thousands of civilians (at a minimum) and the forced displacement of millions more in order to argue that the Iraq war was good, actually.

14 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Gen Z don't know what physical mailboxes are.

I know that you get the spend the night in jail in Terrytown if you bash a few from the sunroof of your car with a bat after practice.....two weeks before heading to college.  

• Drool 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I'm just going to point out one time that you do not have to bother arguing with the guy in 2024 who just casually dismissed the deaths of hundreds of thousands of civilians (at a minimum) and the forced displacement of millions more in order to argue that the Iraq war was good, actually.

No one said it was good.  Just saying It’s not to be looked at as a black and white issue, it’s more complex.  The fact is many Iraqi’s think the country is better off now than when Saddam was in power.  Especially the Kurds.

Edited by Hook1997

Here's a story about Israeli whistleblowers and others protesting the mistreatment, abuse, and torture of the thousands of Palestinian detainees held without charge in Israeli prisons. 

3 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

No one said it was good.  Just saying It’s not to be looked at as a black and white issue, it’s more complex.  The fact is many Iraqi’s think the country is better off now than when Saddam was in power.  

This may be true, but your originally stated sources were Iraqi ex-pats living in the US.  Of course it's better for them.

7 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

No one said it was good.  Just saying It’s not to be looked at as a black and white issue, it’s more complex.  The fact is many Iraqi’s think the country is better off now than when Saddam was in power.  Especially the Kurds.

There are people who think the Holocaust was good. That doesn't make "was the Holocaust good?" a question that requires a complex answer.

14 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Here's a story about Israeli whistleblowers and others protesting the mistreatment, abuse, and torture of the thousands of Palestinian detainees held without charge in Israeli prisons. 

HEY!  They can't do that.  Only we can do that!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I equate threatening families over political differences with nut-bar right behavior, and it fucking sucks to see progressives engage in that shit. Protest on the street, outside someone’s house? Folks have the right. Call and threaten families? Hell no. Veiled threats against families, and leaving the anonymous messages on the doorstep in the middle of the night is absolutely a veiled threat, and is not acceptable.

When the IDF bombed the WCK aid staff, my position moved considerably away from supporting the Israeli government’s war on Hamas to seeing the conflict as a war on Gaza. But acts of terror are desperate, despicable, political tools. I won’t abide them

Edited by Willfully Horn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

For Christ’s sake, @Willfully Horn, read the letter. There was no threat, veiled or otherwise. The letter laid out basic “demands” of a protest movement and suggested “further dialogue.”

You’re too smart to fall for the paranoid fantasies of the DT pants-wetter brigade.  

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

I equate threatening families over political differences with nut-bar right behavior, and it fucking sucks to see progressives engage in that shit. Protest on the street, outside someone’s house? Folks have the right. Call and threaten families? Hell no. Veiled threats against families, and leaving the anonymous messages on the doorstep in the middle of the night is absolutely a veiled threat, and is not acceptable.

When the IDF bombed the WCK aid staff, my position moved considerably away from supporting the Israeli government’s war on Hamas to seeing the conflict as a war on Gaza. But acts of terror are desperate, despicable, political tools. I won’t abide them

I’m not sure hanging outside someone’s house isn’t threatening 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

For Christ’s sake, @Willfully Horn, read the letter. There was no threat, veiled or otherwise. The letter laid out basic “demands” of a protest movement and suggested “further dialogue.”

You’re too smart to fall for the paranoid fantasies of the DT pants-wetter brigade.  

Lulz. Nobody wets pants. This is criminal behavior by a guy wearing a mask at 5 am. Nobody in their right mind would condone this. Are you of ill mind or are you a deliberate contrarian?  Obviously you’re not married and have no kids. 

• Hook 'Em 5

13 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

The act of someone showing up at a stranger's house in the middle of the night wearing a mask is a threat.  

Not sure why we all can't even agree on that basic fact. 

• Hook 'Em 9

44 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

There are people who think the Holocaust was good. That doesn't make "was the Holocaust good?" a question that requires a complex answer.

Not really a comparison, I doubt many Jews think the Holocaust was good….  Many Iraqi’s think life is better today than under Saddam.   If they can admit their life is better for them now why can’t you?   Once again a microcosm discussion on the effects of the war, not saying it was good.  Arguing the opposite of that is like the white Karen’s screaming the Redskins have to change their name while the Indian tribes are suing to get it changed back.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

The act of someone showing up at a stranger's house in the middle of the night wearing a mask is a threat.  

Not sure why we all can't even agree on that basic fact. 

I'm not sure if it was intended as a threat but I certainly think it's reasonable to view it as one. Given the benign contents of the letter I think some people are overreacting a bit, but if that dipshit had gotten himself shot I wouldn't really feel bad for him.  

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Skipper said:

He's masked at 4AM.  It's 100% a threat.  Anyone downplaying this is either too partisan to think objectively about it or does not have a wife and kids at home (or both).  It's bullshit.   And if some other moron does this shit and ends up getting shot in the process, zero sympathy from me.

I'm not saying it's not a threat. I'm saying it's a threat you shouldn't take seriously. He's a twig of a college student pinning a note to someone's door.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Brian Fantana said:

I'm not saying it's not a threat. I'm saying it's a threat you shouldn't take seriously. He's a twig of a college student pinning a note to someone's door.

Yeah, harmless.. My daughter would smack his ass with a baseball bat.

Don't come to people's doors at 5 unless you want an ass kicking.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Rex Kramer said:

Yes it helps. It’d also help if you admonished idiotic takes like those of bolverk, Fantana, F250, and Hank Hill, instead of remaining silent because you otherwise agree with them. 

And no, what occurred to you is not apples to apples. 

Sad Cry Baby GIF by Aaron Taos

Pussy bitch

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Taking your shit to private people’s houses who are at best marginal to the issue at hand is corrosive and threatening behavior and it’s nuts to argue otherwise.  It’s a direct threat to democratic and civil norms, and it’s NOT misguided it is a deliberate tactic.

This is the equivalent of dropping off an angry demand to “stop baby genoicide” to a hospital administrator or clinic that provides abortions while masked and under cover of darkness.  No one here would (justifiably) dismiss that as anything but beyond the pale, threatening behavior. 

The Overton window shift is beyond ridiculous:

- Students have the right to protest! (YES!)

- Students have the right to set up tents as part of their protest!  Are you afraid of tents (Maybe…)

- They can wear masks and live in the tents as long as their demands aren’t met even if that’s against the rules! Are you afraid of tents and masks! (Why do they need masks? Do they really need to live there!)

- They can mask up and come to your house in the dead of night! What are you some wimp who doesn’t want masked prowlers hanging out around your house! (WTF?)

Get fucking real people. You do not mask up and skulk around strangers houses at night. That is BY DEFINITION hostile and harmful behavior. 

I don't really disagree with any of this. He shouldn't have done what he did, it is obviously threatening and hostile behavior. At best, it's an incredibly stupid thing to do for any number of reasons, at worst it's pointing out "I know where you live" to someone as a direct threat.

The question is how do you respond to such a threat? I would personally feel more strongly about it if a written threat was actually made in the note, but it doesn't seem like that was the case. A list of demands and a plea for dialogue doesn't really move the needle any further for me. It actually moves it backward a little for me because it indicates, at least to me, that he's just a stupid college kid that decided to try and make himself heard in one of the dumbest possible ways rather than someone who would actually try to harm someone.

I've quite literally had strangers come up to my house and yell at my goddamn doorbell camera in the middle of the night before (sorry Rex's mom, I just don't love you anymore), but I never felt the need to call the cops on them or pull a gun on them, so what does that leave us? Despite the attempts to characterize it as a home invasion, it clearly was not and I doubt any laws were even broken. So again, where does that leave us?

29 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I don't really disagree with any of this. He shouldn't have done what he did, it is obviously threatening and hostile behavior. At best, it's an incredibly stupid thing to do for any number of reasons, at worst it's pointing out "I know where you live" to someone as a direct threat.

The question is how do you respond to such a threat? I would personally feel more strongly about it if a written threat was actually made in the note, but it doesn't seem like that was the case. A list of demands and a plea for dialogue doesn't really move the needle any further for me. It actually moves it backward a little for me because it indicates, at least to me, that he's just a stupid college kid that decided to try and make himself heard in one of the dumbest possible ways rather than someone who would actually try to harm someone.

I've quite literally had strangers come up to my house and yell at my goddamn doorbell camera in the middle of the night before (sorry Rex's mom, I just don't love you anymore), but I never felt the need to call the cops on them or pull a gun on them, so what does that leave us? Despite the attempts to characterize it as a home invasion, it clearly was not and I doubt any laws were even broken. So again, where does that leave us?

It leaves us with you still needing to fuck off back to CR. Take those pederasts bolverk and wildcat with ya. My mom passed in ‘00, you cunt. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

30 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Despite the attempts to characterize it as a home invasion, it clearly was not and I doubt any laws were even broken. So again, where does that leave us?

Home invasion it was not, and I apologize to the group for bringing up my own scenario.

It is possible to separate the message from the method of communication.