Oklahoma State @ Texas Series Thread

Horny Bull

14 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Feels like we do this in May almost every year after playing with our food a little bit in April.

I can’t believe Duplantier has turned into a reliable arm. You place this year’s version of him on any previous team and it’s a game changer. I had completely written him off headed into the year.

I’m not surprised Andre found it again, he was fucking badass prior to his UCL

Really fun atmosphere at the disch in the 8th and 9th yesterday. Can’t believe that little fucker out lasted Ace despite how hard we made him work the first 2 innings. Also gotta question going to Shaw there. Ace deserved a chance to battle out of that jam IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, B00M said:

I’m not surprised Andre found it again, he was fucking badass prior to his UCL

The surprising part to me is he recreated himself after trying to be his old self for the two seasons after his surgery. He is getting guys out in a completely different way than he was in 2020.

• Hook 'Em 2

51 minutes ago, troph said:

he’s a known asshole without the street cred of winning big. He’s mismanaged the pitching and the assistants. Tulo resigned and where did he go?  He’s taken over the pitching staff and it’s been lack luster. .

Tulowitzki resigned and came back to Texas be director of player personnel for David Pierce. He is on our staff now.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, B00M said:

Can’t believe that little fucker out lasted Ace despite how hard we made him work the first 2 innings. 

I was surprised by this too. I couldn’t believe they left him in that long. I think he threw around 130 pitches 

Pierce and Tulo aren’t going on family vacations together, but there was a lot of moving parts in his decision to step away for a year after 2022, including his wife being pregnant and the desire to travel around to see other programs to help him scope out stuff as he prepared for head coach interviews/opportunities.

Even last year when he wasn’t on staff, he was around the facility from time to time helping out. I’m pretty sure he is on staff this year to make sure he isn’t out of the game too long and keep his name active in the coaching network.

He certainly isn’t making decisions for money.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The surprising part to me is he recreated himself after trying to be his old self for the two seasons after his surgery. He is getting guys out in a completely different way than he was in 2020.

Ah, great point. It looks like he’s more of a fastball/slider guy now and he used to be more of a big curveball/fastball guy? I haven’t seen him pitch as much this year as I would’ve liked, what have you seen? 

51 minutes ago, B00M said:

Can’t believe that little fucker out lasted Ace despite how hard we made him work the first 2 innings.

On the TV  broadcast, they interviewed Holliday (sp) and he said that guy was one of the toughest guys on the team or something that affect/effect (i never know which).  I was half listening but the comment was very complimentary of his grit.  Are they related, i may be misremembering but is that his kid? Same name iirc.

7 minutes ago, B00M said:

Ah, great point. It looks like he’s more of a fastball/slider guy now and he used to be more of a big curveball/fastball guy? I haven’t seen him pitch as much this year as I would’ve liked, what have you seen? 

He ditched the fastball for a cutter, which has made a big difference.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

On the TV  broadcast, they interviewed Holliday (sp) and he said that guy was one of the toughest guys on the team or something that affect/effect (i never know which).  I was half listening but the comment was very complimentary of his grit.  Are they related, i may be misremembering but is that his kid? Same name iirc.

Not related.

Dude was pretty tough after that first inning. 

was the JUCO CWS Most Outstanding pitcher last yr in leading his team to the title.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Tulo is the baseball version of Jeff Traylor.  Good grief, there are plenty of guys in the game that can help Texas. I’ll never understand why people latch on to coaches like that.

Baseball is not overly difficult to manage. Pierce knows the game, there’s zero doubt about that. He can coach and he’s a good one. But he’s a below average recruiter and with the success he’s had here, that should not be an issue. He is his own worst enemy and it’ll cost him his shot at the big time.

24 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Pierce and Tulo aren’t going on family vacations together.

So Tulo came back to volunteer around the program and then took another full-time job, but hates Pierce guts?

Pierce brought his assistant staff to 3 different programs. If they hated him, why did they follow? Allen had chances to go to Alabama and didn’t. Miller took a desk job and then came back to coach. I haven’t heard any negative rumors on why he left team this season.

Woody Williams? Sure. Maybe they butted heads. But, who cares?

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Balcones said:

So Tulo came back to volunteer around the program and then took another full-time job, but hates Pierce guts?

Pierce brought his assistant staff to 3 different programs. If they hated him, why did they follow? Allen had chances to go to Alabama and didn’t. Miller took a desk job and then came back to coach. I haven’t heard any negative rumors on why he left team this season.

Woody Williams? Sure. Maybe they butted heads. But, who cares?

Hate is a strong word and I’m not inside Tulo’s mind. Pierce is also not the only person in this program Tulo works with. Most of his time is spent interacting with people not named David Pierce. Tulo and Caleb Longley are close and are the ones working with swings and putting together offensive gameplans.

I’m not here to tell you Sean Allen and David Pierce were going on family vacations together either. There are a lot of very successful coaches who are difficult to work for. That isn’t unusual. I’ve worked with plenty of people in my life that I may not have personally enjoyed but I made it work professionally. People also change. Maybe the pressure of this job made him harder and harder to work with over time.

Edited by Hookem2147

1 hour ago, B00M said:

Also gotta question going to Shaw there. Ace deserved a chance to battle out of that jam IMO.

As HookEm mentioned yesterday, part of that was likely the 3rd time thru the order.

Hed also thrown a decent number of pitches in short order. The ump was giving nothing on the bottom of the zone either.  One of those batters that walked had two pitches down low that could have easily been strikes.  So there was probably some concern that Ace would have to throw some hittable pitches up.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Back to this series, I have a feeling we are going to need some big outs from Hurley or Tumis today if we want to win. Someone has to get the ball to Boehm for the last 1-2 innings.

Are we assuming LBJ only goes his standard 2-3 innings?

1 hour ago, Revolution512 said:

He is his own worst enemy and it’ll cost him his shot at the big time.

He's 8 years into his shot at the big time

23 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Have to hope for the best, I guess. At least we got to give another team a taste of the LBJ medicine yesterday. That 6'9" reliever has nothing but a straight fastball, and Max sat on it and didn't miss it.

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

He has been great at home. Look at his line from SD, Cal Poly, Washington, Baylor, and TCU. 

32.1 IP, 7 ER, 35 SO.

BYU was the home outlier. 3 IP and 4 ER.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, troph said:

I don’t belittle getting there at all, but I do want our team to have a legit shot to win when there. The closest was the MSU championship year and while we were close on paper none of us at that time thought we had a chance to get past them and we didn’t - lost to them twice. 

i'm not sure that's true.  their stud pitcher had the game of his life in game 1, but we beat them in the second matchup while the third matchup was a close game we ended up on the wrong side of.

i don't think anyone here went in to that third game thinking we had no shot to win it.

Edited by BigOrange1
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

i'm not sure that's true.  their stud pitcher had the game of his life in game 1, but we beat them in the second matchup while the third matchup was a close game we ended up on the wrong side of.

i don't think anyone here went in to that third game thinking we had no shot to win it.

The thing I really really love about college baseball is you have to lose twice, and that really removes any question to all but the most blatant homers.  MSU was the better team repeatedly and not just against us.

Posted (edited)

They need to have an identity talk with Kennedy heading into next year. I get he’s just trying to keep his head above water as a freshman but there is no reason a guy with his speed and athleticism should be at 2 stolen bases right now and not bunting for hits semi-regularly.

Edited by Hookem2147