Demarco Boyd charged with misdemeanor assault, suspended from team activities, has left the team

Machinator

https://www.hookem.com/story/texas-lb-demarco-boyd-charged-misdemeanor-assault-july-4-incident/

University of Texas linebacker Demarco Boyd has been charged with misdemeanor assault stemming from an altercation following a July 4 car crash in West Austin, Assistant Police Chief Troy Gay confirmed to the American-Statesman.

Boyd was expected to turn himself into the Travis County jail and be released late Thursday.

Boyd is accused of assaulting a 20-year-old out-of-town visitor at the scene of the crash near Enfield and Mopac (Loop 1), badly damaging a car he was in.

An arrest affidavit in the case is expected to be made public Friday. Austin police have been investigating the incident since July 4, interviewing numerous witnesses.

Boyd, a sophomore from Gilmer, has played in four career games at Texas. He redshirted in 2016 and then was used sparingly last season. He was a two-way player at Gilmer and a two-time all-state selection.

In a statement, Texas coach Tom Herman said, “We are aware of the situation with Demarco Boyd and have suspended him from all team activities at this time. We will continue to monitor the legal process and pending its completion, determine any further action.”

His brother, Kris, is a defensive back with the Longhorns. Kris Boyd tweeted about the car crash at 8:41 p.m. on July 4. In his tweet, Boyd acknowledged that UT freshman B.J. Foster, a freshman safety, was also in the car.

“Our angels had they hands over us today,” Kris Boyd tweeted, “@nofear_2 rear ended and smashed! We’re doing a lot better. Thank you to those who reached out. Could’ve been gone but we here.”

Misdemeanor Assault

( I’ve had a few in my day)

I feel that if this is the worst of the long hot offseason then i can quit holding my breath.

not too worried about him in the jail house

( he will be a in and out)

but now he is in Herman’s dog house....

i feel for you son..... 😖😫

Boyd is accused of assaulting a 20-year-old out-of-town visitor at the scene of the crash near Enfield and Mopac (Loop 1), badly damaging a car he was in.

Today's example of terrible writing comes to us from the Austin American Statesman!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Elliot getting ahead of the story by tweeting?

doesn't matter.  i'm going to assume, with solid tea leaves, that CDC was the puppet master here..... wait 72 hours after the original tweets, "anonymous source says pool party"... wait 2 weeks.... then BOOM in front of the whole thing before any 9.95 spin.   i see a master at work here and it's a beautiful thing.

CDC has some C5 shit workin' up in the Bell-Month:

Command, Control, Communications, Computers, Collaboration and Intelligence

there are only 2 greater capabilities:

NC2 − Nuclear command and control

NC3 − Nuclear command and control and communications

Eris is a Longhorn

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Foster's Camaro got completely smashed. It was a bit more than a "traffic" fender-bender.

Is that relevant? I've seen deadly accidents where nobody assaulted anyone afterwards.

It sounds preachy but self-control and mastering your temper are important things to learn for any man, but especially for an athlete of his stature.

4 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

Is that relevant? I've seen deadly accidents where nobody assaulted anyone afterwards.

It sounds preachy but self-control and mastering your temper are important things to learn for any man, but especially for an athlete of his stature.

There's no doubt Demarco is in the wrong if this was just a reaction to the accident. 

But like everything there's different levels of wrong. If Demarco threw a punch at the guy that almost killed his teammates/brother do you think that warrants anything more than maybe a couple game suspension? 

9 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

I agree that he should have kept his cool, but it's not like he whaled on a guy who clipped his bumper at 5mph.

13 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Demarco doesn't have the right to assault someone but in context this isn't terrible. As long as he didn't beat the shit out of the other driver. 

Devils advocate.  It was a sooner, he saw a UT logo and sped up, smashing the car from behind.  Then he got out and started talking shit.  He gets his ass kicked and good.  

See, this works both ways. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

WTF is wrong with you guys?   Somebody rear-ends you, you sue them, you don't attack them. 

Boyd needs to be in jail.  

Nobody has argued he shouldn't be punished or that he shouldn't be charged with a crime. 

But if you think Boyd is going to get jail time for a skirmish after a wreck..........lol.

Edited by texasstrong12

23 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

WTF is wrong with you guys?   Somebody rear-ends you, you sue them, you don't attack them. 

Boyd needs to be in jail.  

See, the thing is, he plays football, and I like football, and I would like him to play football, so, I'm good with it. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Nobody has argued he shouldn't be punished or that he shouldn't be charged with a crime. 

But if you think Boyd is going to get jail time for a skirmish after a wreck..........lol.

I didn't say "he's going to jail".  I said he "needs to be in jail".  

And since the incident occurred in Texas, he's lucky the victim didn't pull a gun and  shoot him in the fucking face and he would have been justified in doing so IMO. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Gil Bang said:

And since the incident occurred in Texas, he's lucky the victim didn't pull a gun and  shoot him in the fucking face and he would have been justified in doing so IMO. 

We're doubling down on idiocy.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Are you trying to turn this into a "why stand your ground law" is stupid thread? 

Do you honestly think the "victim" would have been justified here to "shoot Boyd in the face" if this was a verbal altercation that resulted in a couple swings? Nobody is denying Boyd is in the wrong but without context it's insane to think there might have been justification to "shoot Boyd in the face". 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Think you mean lucky this didn’t happen in Chicago. 

• Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Not one person has said it's "ok". Almost everyone has said he should be punished. 

Ok was the wrong word but several have hinted at this being an understandable reaction. I’ve been in several accidents and my initial reaction was never to go beat them the shit out of another driver.

9 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Police have videos of the whole incident.  The Dad of the kid who got beat up is a partner at a big Texas law firm.  The kid got hurt pretty bad.  Demarco has more to worry about than getting suspended from the football team.

Wait and watch. This will be probation and community service. Feel free to bump if I'm wrong. 

• Machinator changed the title to Demarco Boyd charged with misdemeanor assault, suspended from team activities, has left the team