Cryptocurrencies (Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, etc.)

surlybevo

On 5/5/2021 at 7:57 AM, GRHorn said:

Bitcoin trading and custody services provider NYDIG has hired John Dalby, CFO of Bridgewater Associates, the world's largest hedge fund, as its CFO.

https://www.theblockcrypto.com/linked/104202/bitcoin-firm-nydig-hires-cfo-bridgewater-john-dalby

Seems like NYDIG has some momentum brewing with it's Bitcoin to the institutional masses plays.

We need to update and freshen our rules to ensure that, while retail investors and any individual has first amendment rights to speak and so forth, that they're not misleading the public, they're not manipulating the public, manipulating the markets," he said.

From WPGH's first link.  I wonder if he's talking about/to Elon there...

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

My link at the top of the previous page was for ETH topping $3000 for the first time earlier this week. $3800 now.  fire emoji.

Coinbase and Kraken both showing it trading around $3500.  Where are you seeing $3800?

29 minutes ago, bernorange said:

https://www.theblockcrypto.com/linked/104202/bitcoin-firm-nydig-hires-cfo-bridgewater-john-dalby

Seems like NYDIG has some momentum brewing with it's Bitcoin to the institutional masses plays.

It’s a huge player bringing in big money adoption. I think I posted this video around when it happened, but it’s Michael Saylor and the CEO of NYDIG. This was at a conference focused on corporates and adoption of Bitcoin, but it captures the bull case well for individuals too. Worth the hour listen if you’re curious, or just wanna get bulled up. 

• Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, ajax said:

Is MATIC a buy?

I liked it a lot more when I first bought at .39 but I also just added more at .68 and .79.

EDIT: IF you're willing to part with your owned MATIC, Celsius is currently paying 13.9% on MATIC.

EDIT 2: AAVE is one of the major DeFi players, and they're committing to a MATIC-only DeFi space like they do with ETH. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, ajax said:

Is MATIC a buy?

It all depends on what you're looking to do.  I think their approach of serving as a facilitator of ETH instead of as a direct competitor makes sense and they have amazing transaction utility in terms of fee structure...I also think it's still undervalued.  I have a large stack of MATIC but I also have other ETH competitors and ETH itself. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, bernorange said:

From WPGH's first link.  I wonder if he's talking about/to Elon there...

That was my impression Gensler's comment. Never has so much depended on a humble performance on SNL. 

We live in interesting times. 

The propogandists at CNBC are doing the best to take down Doge.  Fucking bastards - all of them on CNBC.

Angry Doge - Doge Gif (88868)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

The propogandists at CNBC are doing the best to take down Doge.  Fucking bastards - all of them on CNBC.

I just checked and see Doge at a new all time high of 0.70 so lol CNBC.  The audience ISN'T listening.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, bernorange said:

I just checked and see Doge at a new all time high of 0.70 so lol CNBC.  The audience ISN'T listening.

No one should believe anything coming from CNBC. Absolute garbage news source. 

Edit: My apologies to anyone reading this who has appeared on CNBC. Not directed at you.

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, bernorange said:

My wife wanted to buy a little doge for fun at 0.30. I said no it’s a joke and going to dump. She’s so salty about it now. Her high school friend that’s lives paycheck to paycheck (NTTAWWT) keeps bragging about doge. I’m about to have to fund a Robinhood account for her so she can go for it. This may or may not be a doge top signal. Also, Elon on SNL with people expecting doge pump seems like a sell the news thing. But I’ve been wrong for a while on this one. 😂 

• Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, GRHorn said:

... Also, Elon on SNL with people expecting doge pump seems like a sell the news thing. ...

I got a bit nervous about today's run up maybe being all about Elon and whatever happens tomorrow likely to disappoint folks, so I went ahead and sold most of my Doge (original stake + small profit).  Still have 600 Doge coins for shits and giggles (just in case space man launches it to the moon).

6 hours ago, lmao said:

If you had 10k to burn which shitcoins would you buy atm?

I would likely buy $500 to $1000 chunks of various coins that I didn't already own.

What exchange(s)/platform(s) are you using?  That can also be a factor.  I like staking coins and Kraken offers better choices than Coinbase for that.

1 hour ago, bernorange said:

I would likely buy $500 to $1000 chunks of various coins that I didn't already own.

What exchange(s)/platform(s) are you using?  That can also be a factor.  I like staking coins and Kraken offers better choices than Coinbase for that.

Coinbase & Coinbase PRO. I have Kraken but am hesistant bc don't they have issues with U.S. users? 

4 minutes ago, lmao said:

Coinbase & Coinbase PRO. I have Kraken but am hesistant bc don't they have issues with U.S. users? 

not sure about kraken but if you are on coinbase, here are some suggestions.  As always, do your own research.  These are coins I own personally.  I like to break them down into groupings/functions.  I also assume you own the majority of your portfolio in ETH/BTC.

Link and Band as cross chain oracles

Compound/AAVE for interest (I have more in compound personally)

ADA/Matic/ATOM/Algo as ETH competitors/facilitators.  

UNI as liquidity provider

XLM as currency (XRP not available on coinbase)

UMA - potential derivatives vehicle

ENJ - I think that's on coinbase now, not sure, NFTs/gaming

That gives a few things to look at if you want.  Again, do your research.  For my alts, I look to have broad exposure and long term outlooks.  That's paid off handsomely in some cases (LINK/ATOM/MATIC/ENJ have all been 4X +).  Others have barely moved and/or lost money.  My only alt from 2017 that did anything was BAT and I would have been better off just having left that in BTC.   You are still better off primarily in ETH/BTC, imo.  However, I'm a conservative investor in general so take it for what it's worth. 

59 minutes ago, lmao said:

Linking a bank acct to Kraken is FUBAR imo.  I just buy bitcoin on Coinbase, then transfer to Kraken, then convert to what I want.  It's not terribly efficient (2x transaction fees), but Kraken offers some coins I can't get with CB as well as more staking options and better staking rewards.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, bernorange said:

Linking a bank acct to Kraken is FUBAR imo.  I just buy bitcoin on Coinbase, then transfer to Kraken, then convert to what I want.  It's not terribly efficient (2x transaction fees), but Kraken offers some coins I can't get with CB as well as more staking options and better staking rewards.

I think voyager is a better platform if you are wanting to earn interest/stake.  DOT has better return on kraken, ETH is similiar but there are a ton more that offer higher interest, including btc at 6.25% (up to7.25% with interest booster), plus it easily links to bank account via ACH, is publicly traded, has a reward system/interest booster via it's native token, and has a decent variety of coins available.  Biggest issue they've had is dealing with increased subscribers so it takes a while to get approved.  PM if you want a referral code.   

I finally got off the wait list for ETH staking on coinbase.  Took forever.  A buddy of mine who has been on since 2013 and told me about the wait list is still waiting.  No rhyme or reason.  

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Acropora said:

I think voyager is a better platform if you are wanting to earn interest/stake.

I had not heard of this one before.  Please forward referral code.  I'll be checking it out later.

41 minutes ago, Acropora said:

I finally got off the wait list for ETH staking on coinbase.  Took forever.  A buddy of mine who has been on since 2013 and told me about the wait list is still waiting.  No rhyme or reason.  

Nice.  I wonder if they are prioritizing based upon funds and/or coins held on platform.

I checked out Voyager.

Pros - Offers 6.25% APY on Bitcoin (BTC) and 6.5% on Litecoin (LTC) held in account.  Offers interest on some coins that aren't available for staking elsewhere though most are pretty low APY.

Cons - Uses PLAID to connect to a bank acct.  PLAID wants the login info for your bank's web portal AFAIK (Yotta also offered PLAID as an option).

Thanks for the referral code @Acropora

• Hook 'Em 1

...  three Ether ETFs debuted in Canada last month, the first in North America to carry such an ETF label. The Canadian market is known for beating the U.S. in new ETF concepts, most recently with the launch of the first Bitcoin ETF.
U.S. regulators have yet to approve a crypto ETF though at least 11 companies are looking to launch one. Nine of them have filed since the end of 2020, according to a tally kept by Bloomberg Intelligence. ...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-07/vaneck-fires-starting-gun-in-race-for-first-u-s-ether-etf

If TPTB ever relent and approve some crypto ETFs here in the USA, it's going to add more rocket fuel to the system.

22 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

That was my impression Gensler's comment. Never has so much depended on a humble performance on SNL. 

We live in interesting times. 

Angry Doge - Doge Gif (88868)

I want to send them money.  The more they talk shit, the more it’s gonna Moon.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm halfway expecting Elon's performance on SNL tonight to be a disappointment/nothingburger to the Elon/crypto fans.  I expect Doge to crest shortly after the show and then folks start moving their money to other coins or out of the crypto markets.  Doge to crash and other coins to surge. 

I'm no expert and don't have a crystal ball.  The above are alcohol infused ravings of a madman, so consider accordingly.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I tried to watch SNL last night.  I kept dozing off.

Elon is a pretty goofy dude.  I thought he did pretty good with his parts considering he isn't an actor.  Better than a lot athletes that have hosted the show.

I saw Doge fighting it's way to around 70 roughly 5 to 10 minutes before the show started and then capitulate.  It was all downhill from there.

I wonder if Elon is going to tweet something now that Doge is tanking.

Some new'ish crypto investors are waking up to a lesson this morning. Just because you want a coin to go up, it doesn't mean it will. Especially after rising too fast. 

Regardless I think DOGE has more credibility now. It's not a scam like 2018's bitconnect so I don't see it going away.

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Some new'ish crypto investors are waking up to a lesson this morning. Just because you want a coin to go up, it doesn't mean it will. Especially after rising too fast. 

Regardless I think DOGE has more credibility now. It's not a scam like 2018's bitconnect so I don't see it going away.

Other than ethereum, which has some semblance of utility and usefulness, aren't they all really just a scam?

They're all just pyramid schemes where the last one in is funding everybody else that came before them. It's not like any of them have any value other than the intrinsic value ascribed to them. 

34 minutes ago, ajax said:

Looks like I asked you guys about MATIC at the right time. I made 35% in a matter of days.

Great to hear. I can’t explain exactly why matic is rising but there is a buzz about them. Some of us are getting hooked on the zed horse racing game which is run on matic smart contracts.

Also people can earn a decent pct on locking matic in the finance platforms which means there is less and less matic on the exchanges. The exchanges themselves are most likely putting matic on these platforms to earn. If you withdraw matic from the exchanges, you basically are forcing the exchange to buy matic in order to allow you to withdrawal. Price goes up and up.

I can’t claim the accuracy of this but it shows how there is 90% drop in matic available on exchanges from just a few months ago. If true and people are buying, there is little for sale.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

I staked my ETH.  Not going to try day trading or market timing with it.
I moved my BTC to Voyager to earn 6% APY on the stack.  Also just going to hold it.

I signed up for voyager, but am waitlisted in NY. If you don’t have a full 32ETH for a stake node do they just assign people to fill in the node with you?

8 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Has anyone tried to take some cash out on Eth or BTC?  I don't mean panic and dump all, but just take a smaller position.  I am almost certain that this isn't the peak for either, but I also know they both will dip, but you know FOMO.

While I'm sure there are plenty of people on here that have more crypto holdings than I do, what I have is no longer an insignificant amount. Once this current bubble pops I'm sure I'll feel like a f'n dumbass for not selling, but none of this shit makes any sense to me, so I just keep holding. My ETH holdings shot right past my BTC holdings this monthScreenshot_20210510-075913.thumb.jpg.6a980a8e8051a84795baf13831fda870.jpg

I may try and figure out some short to medium term hedges as this seems a bit excessive. I'm old enough to remember the great crash of 2018 when ETH lost 90+%. Anybody here figured out a decent hedging strategy they want to share? 

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

I signed up for voyager, but am waitlisted in NY. If you don’t have a full 32ETH for a stake node do they just assign people to fill in the node with you?

I staked my ETH on CoinBase.  They don't (publicly) require any minimum for staking, but they do require folks to be approved via a waitlist, so there might be some hidden requirement on ETH held in account to be approved off of the waitlist.

I know nothing about nodes.  I think CoinBase takes care of those details behind the scenes.

• Like 1