UTSA Roadrunners

Chico_SA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Screenshot_20230917-214947_kindlephoto-12673546.png.b72ca8bbaf4bc0f9eb55166cf2399402.png

Army destroyed them with TOP...  Hope Traylor just stays at utsa for the rest of his coaching career -- San Antonio takes care of their loyal coaches.

Frustrated Jeff Traylor says "there's got to be an easier way to make a living" than in coaching

UTSA fell at home to Army, Jeff Monken Friday night

JOHN BRICE     SEP 16, 2023

A year removed from a magical, scintillating season that saw his Texas-San Antonio program set on-field performance and in-the-stands attendance records, an exasperated Jeff Traylor wondered aloud about his vexing profession Friday night.

After the Roadrunners were stopped 37-29 at home against Army, Traylor said that the Black Knights whipped his team in the trenches and then a crucial sack on third-down is what left Traylor most exasperated post-game.

"Then on third down and seven, we got frickin' sacked," Traylor said. "If it had just been fourth-and-two, I'd have gone for it. Fourth-and-four, I'd have gone for it. But we gave the sack up. 

"Frustrating, man. There's got to be an easier way to make a living somewhere else."

A year after his team won 11 games and captured the Conference-USA Championship tilt with a 48-27 win against North Texas, the Roadrunners have neither been as efficient on offense nor as opportunistic on defense. They have yet to force a turnover through three games -- and Traylor pointed the finger at himself as he apologized.

"That's a great question," Traylor said as it pertained to zero turnovers forced. "I don't know what the frick that is. We're one of like eight teams in the country that haven't caused a turnover yet. I don't know. If you figure it out, mail it to me, and we'll get to work on it.

"Sorry. I apologize. That's embarrassing. God bless. Birds up."

Edited by LTtxfan

On 9/23/2023 at 4:49 PM, hobbes2702 said:

Backup QBs, roster turnover, lack of athletes on defense because you’re not a P5 school. Not sure what anyone expected. 

Keeping a G5 school at a very high level for 3 consecutive years is next to impossible.  It's why only a couple HC/programs have ever pulled it off.  Obviously Boise State is the major outlier here, but hardly other G5 program has been able to be at 10+ W and/or Conference Champ for 3 straight years.

07-09  Cincinnati, and you can asterisk them in for 18-21
17-19  UCF

That's pretty much it, as far as I can tell.  

Traylor's previous rant about his players being recruited to go into the transfer portal is also a sign of how difficult it is to compete at utsa.  

https://www.si.com/college/2022/12/20/utsa-coach-jeff-traylor-slams-power-5-schools-who-poach-players

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/utsa-football-coach-alleges-top-schools-trying-poach-talent

11 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I was surprised UTSA was able to beat TXST this year.

After the beauty of a game Leftwich and Patke called vs Baylor, same.  Honestly hope they didn't sacrifice the program's best player just to make that happen.  Putting Harris back into the game 4 times after injury was questionable, at best.  

13 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Traylor's previous rant about his players being recruited to go into the transfer portal is also a sign of how difficult it is to compete at utsa.  

No different at UTSA than it is anywhere else.  The Bobcats' best defender from last year is currently starting at Kentucky, and our best OL from last year is starting for Oklahoma State.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I was surprised UTSA was able to beat TXST this year. Holding on to scoreboard bragging rights over their I-35 rival might end up being their biggest accomplishment this season 

Really think if you get Traylor in empty room or hit him with the truth serum he wishes he had taken Frank Harris out of that game and rolled with the backup. Maybe they still win but don't think they do and it preserves some of the rest of their season instead of eeking out 1 more W over TXST at the cost of jeopardizing the rest of their season. 

3 minutes ago, GJ Winne said:

No different at UTSA than it is anywhere else.  The Bobcats' best defender from last year is currently starting at Kentucky, and our best OL from last year is starting for Oklahoma State.

I mean I you look around hard enough prob some juco/D2/FCS/Bad FBS coaches that would accuse Traylor of doing the same thing gathering up their best kids to portal out to UTSA. Happens everywhere not some sort of unique problem to San Antonio and the road birds. 

39 minutes ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Really think if you get Traylor in empty room or hit him with the truth serum he wishes he had taken Frank Harris out of that game and rolled with the backup. Maybe they still win but don't think they do and it preserves some of the rest of their season instead of eeking out 1 more W over TXST at the cost of jeopardizing the rest of their season. 

I'm interested to see how Traylor does without Frank Harris.  FH has carried that utsa program for the last few years.  

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, GJ Winne said:

madmen-not-great-bob.gif

Lol at all the road bird faithful ragging on this KSAT reporter just doing his job...tho the one that sent him a naked man ass as a reply might need to get some help.

Kid has a lot of talent, but obviously is not the brightest if he cant keep his shit together after already catching a DWI...prob needs to sit some games but will see what Traylor does.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2023 at 6:11 AM, LTtxfan said:

This will likely be Traylor's last year at UTSA.  Arky, baylor, and aggy will be considering him for their head coaching jobs.  

The best fit might be baylor.  

I feel that too.  Too many jobs going to be open.  
mid you’ve watched his interviews over the last year or so you can tell he is frustrated by the lack of financial support from the school and community, from NIL to facilities to assistants getting poached. He mentioned he had to beg for more money for recruiting .  He mentions some high schools have indoor practice fields.  He feels like he’s coaching and managing his ass off and not seeing the benefits.  
Also the students just overwhelmingly voted down an athletic fee increase that would have provided another couple million a year.  

I honestly don’t think he gives a shit whether he makes 1 million here or 5 million at Baylor or 10 million at aggys.  But he really just wants to be on the same level as the rest of the conference.  (Utsa is like bottom 2 in athletic department budget). He wants to be able to keep players he’s scouted recruited and developed.  He wants to be able to keep coaches he taught and developed.  

So yea, all that plus losing Frank and his Top 2 WRs, plus Cardenas.  He’s probably gone.  

the one thing I’d worry about as a school looking to hire him:  he probably would pull a Herman and bring a bunch of his G5 assistants with him.  For reference I’m pretty sure every time he’s lost an assistant he’s just promoted from within.  He’ll probably bring his brother with him (unless utsa keeps him as HC?) when he got to SA he brought a lot of Texas guys like Mattox and Frank okam.  He doesn’t have the extensive network of coaches to look through and I don’t think he’ll hire people he doesn’t know.   

Also he would probably kill it at Baylor or UH. 

34 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

He’ll probably bring his brother with him (unless utsa keeps him as HC?) when he got to SA he brought a lot of Texas guys like Mattox and Frank okam.  He doesn’t have the extensive network of coaches to look through and I don’t think he’ll hire people he doesn’t know.   

Also he would probably kill it at Baylor or UH. 

Did Traylor have Okam as an assistant??

Here's what I found on Okam:

Screenshot_20231114-092146_kindlephoto-8155800.thumb.png.1a452a46c8892c7948c77baaed27e0fc.png