San Antonio

TexasHooch

20 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Appreciate it, brother. It's been a good spot. 

Post it.  I have been debating selling my house and moving downtown.  My son is going to be a HS Senior and my daughter who is going to be a freshman at LEE are thinking about moving downtown

28 minutes ago, midtown said:

Post it.  I have been debating selling my house and moving downtown.  My son is going to be a HS Senior and my daughter who is going to be a freshman at LEE are thinking about moving downtown

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1339-S-FLORES-ST-UNIT-202-San-Antonio-TX-78204/83990708_zpid/?utm_campaign=androidappmessage&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=txtshare

• Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, midtown said:

That’s outside the NEISD attendance zone. If you move I’ll report you to the district. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Helobious said:

That’s outside the NEISD attendance zone. If you move I’ll report you to the district. 

Well two things.  

A.  Her moms house is NEISD and that's what determines their school

B.  They are in the STEM program and that's open to anyone in SA

43 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Thats nice but way way more than I need or want.  Esp since I might be moving to FL in a few years to chase down this nurse I've been seeing and I also plan to have a place in CR

2 hours ago, midtown said:

Thats nice but way way more than I need or want.  Esp since I might be moving to FL in a few years to chase down this nurse I've been seeing and I also plan to have a place in CR

Next time, I'll buy a place I know you'll want to buy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

So my family and some friends of ours are heading to town in a couple weeks, and because my wife and her friend are basic, all they want to do is drink margaritas on a Riverwalk patio. Fully aware that the best Mexican is elsewhere in town, which Mexican place on the Riverwalk is the most tolerable?

2 hours ago, Saint Austin said:

So my family and some friends of ours are heading to town in a couple weeks, and because my wife and her friend are basic, all they want to do is drink margaritas on a Riverwalk patio. Fully aware that the best Mexican is elsewhere in town, which Mexican place on the Riverwalk is the most tolerable?

Domingo is probably Mexican sounding enough to throw them off. 

• Haha 2

Casa Rio is the original joint down there, with decent enough Tex-Mex for out of towners.  Plus, they have the colorful umbrellas that make for good pictures.  Careful that they don't seat you beneath the bridge, though. 

Boudro's has better food and good drinks, but not really Mexican.  Avoid Lone Star or whatever it is across the river from Casa Rio.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Saint Austin said:

Find the tripa taco stand around mi Tierra. They’re proxy but daaaaaaaaamn good 

they’ll like the Pearl area 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Saint Austin said:

Domingo is great for patioing. Or take the elevator up to the Otro bar and enjoy the view. 

The Prickly Pear Marg at Boudro’s is highly addictive. Get the table-side Guac and just chill. 

We have slummed on the patio at Agave Bar, and it’s not bad either. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Saint Austin said:

Acenar next to the Hotel Valencia is my go to for Mexican food on the Riverwalk. I think their food is much better than Casa Rio and it's on a prettier, more secluded, less trafficked part of the riverwalk. It's a better vibe overall plus random drunks walking up and down the Riverwalk won't be bumping into your chair. You can also go upstairs to the V-bar in Hotel Valencia which used to be cool -- although I admittedly haven't been there in a few years.

• Hook 'Em 3

19 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

very nice place, if you’ll owner finance I’m all over it !

Maybe but you'll need to send me pics of your wife, adult daughters, and cleaning lady as part of the underwriting process. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For the best margaritas, go to the hotel bar at La Mansion.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 7/19/2023 at 10:43 PM, deft said:

Dicks last resort lol

I’ve been there once and got a free lobster.  They use to have a claw game with a lobster tank and if you got one they would cook it up for free.  Put a dollar in and a lobster came sliding out onto the floor.  

6 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Yeah but for people watching, next to the window at Boudro’s.

The last thing I want while eating a nice meal is to watch a bunch of cankles and straw hats wander up and down the river. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Eggo said:

The last thing I want while eating a nice meal is to watch a bunch of cankles and straw hats wander up and down the river. 

I was there for the June heatwave, and it was quite scenic.  Lots of flowing see-thru, lotsa short-shorts, bikini tops, and sweaty cleavage.  Thankfully, not ALL exhibitionist sluts are heavy-set.  Exceptions do apply, however, especially in the land of "tortilla-butt".  

On 7/19/2023 at 5:50 PM, Saint Austin said:

If you can stomach ubering 5 mins off the Riverwalk for one meal, the best patio/margarita time is probably La Fonda on Main. Classic SA/Tex Mex vibes, good food, drink options. Every out of towner I’ve pointed there is very pleased. Get reservation for outside. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Acenar next to the Hotel Valencia is my go to for Mexican food on the Riverwalk. I think their food is much better than Casa Rio and it's on a prettier, more secluded, less trafficked part of the riverwalk. It's a better vibe overall plus random drunks walking up and down the Riverwalk won't be bumping into your chair. You can also go upstairs to the V-bar in Hotel Valencia which used to be cool -- although I admittedly haven't been there in a few years.

we must be long lost brothers.  acenar and v bar were my go to's whenever i was on the riverwalk.  i also liked zinc, boudro's, biga, and in a quieter stretch of the riverwalk havana inn for martini's.

3 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

we must be long lost brothers.  acenar and v bar were my go to's whenever i was on the riverwalk.  i also liked zinc, boudro's, biga, and in a quieter stretch of the riverwalk havana inn for martini's.

We must be. I used to live downtown in the late 1990s. I wasn't at Boudros or Biga all that much, but I spent a LOT of time at Zinc and the Havana Hotel. The Havana is still a great, dark spot.

Swig was another one of my go-tos even though it was right in the heart of the riverwalk. I don't know if it's even there anymore but it was fun to sit on their patio and watch the overflow of drunk young girls from Howl at the Moon. I was also a big fan of the Esquire both pre-renovation when it was a scary locals joint where they used to frisk you when you walked in the door and now post-renovation, especially downstairs.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

We must be. I used to live downtown in the late 1990s. I wasn't at Boudros or Biga all that much, but I spent a LOT of time at Zinc and the Havana Hotel. The Havana is still a great, dark spot.

Swig was another one of my go-tos even though it was right in the heart of the riverwalk. I don't know if it's even there anymore but it was fun to sit on their patio and watch the overflow of drunk young girls from Howl at the Moon. I was also a big fan of the Esquire both pre-renovation when it was a scary locals joint where they used to frisk you when you walked in the door and now post-renovation, especially downstairs.

On one trip, we showed up to find Swig chained and padlocked with a most derogatory statement from the landlord posted on the door.  It languished for a while.  As last sighting, it had been annexed by the comedy club next to it.  

Had some interesting times there.  Aside from chicks pounding martinis, their brown liquor selection was top-notch, which allowed me to stay and watch more chicks pounding more martinis.

Good times...

4 hours ago, After irth said:

On one trip, we showed up to find Swig chained and padlocked with a most derogatory statement from the landlord posted on the door.  It languished for a while.  As last sighting, it had been annexed by the comedy club next to it.  

Had some interesting times there.  Aside from chicks pounding martinis, their brown liquor selection was top-notch, which allowed me to stay and watch more chicks pounding more martinis.

Good times...

I was at Swig when Justin Tucker kicked the 27-25 field goal. I’ll always remember Swig for that in addition to all the easy drunk chicks.

On 7/21/2023 at 12:27 PM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

i never could get into swig, as much as i like martinis, it was too commercial for me. i probably spent more money in the hagen daaz store that was pretty close to there, and shared the same riverwalk view.

esquire is a state treasure.  i dig all the hotels down there.  la mansion is cool, and there used to be a great high-end oyster bar in the bottom of one of the hotels, but i cant remember the name of it.  ive posted before about some great meals at oro, at the bottom of the emily morgan.  great times at the menger bar, and good martinis to be had at the bar at st anthony, though i only went there during jazz is alive.

• Hook 'Em 1

Forgot to post this past weekend but went on down to Pinkertons for a first visit bc from what I could tell, Reese Bros is entirely outdoors and fuck all that right now. What I didn't realize was the line for Pinks was to the end of the deck outside and there was essentially no fans (two tiny desk sized fans high up in the corners? Cmon dawg). 

Wife grabbed us beers and took the kids to the adjacent park while I waited in line. Took about 20 mins but I got inside and then the magic happened. 1.5lbs of brisket, sausage, sides, and Blueberry cobbler all for $80. Served as lunch for me and the missus the next day too. TB's in Dallas this same plate would be like $120 or more. 

Brisket was moist AF and a gentle tug pulled it apart. Nice deep bark. I was super impressed. Sausage was the regular flavor as that's all they had and was pretty good, reminded me of a typical kielbasa. Candy ribs were amazing. All the sides were fantastic. I'm not a Mac and chez guy but when you add brisket I'm in, and it was great. 

Parking lot gets validated by the restaurant so not an issue at all. Grant knows what he's doing for sure and I'll be back. But Jesus get some fucking misters and fans for the line outside! IMG_6219.thumb.jpeg.16d50ebd8225acedcaa19e828488691c.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, TankedBevo said:

Forgot to post this past weekend but went on down to Pinkertons for a first visit bc from what I could tell, Reese Bros is entirely outdoors and fuck all that right now. What I didn't realize was the line for Pinks was to the end of the deck outside and there was essentially no fans (two tiny desk sized fans high up in the corners? Cmon dawg). 

Wife grabbed us beers and took the kids to the adjacent park while I waited in line. Took about 20 mins but I got inside and then the magic happened. 1.5lbs of brisket, sausage, sides, and Blueberry cobbler all for $80. Served as lunch for me and the missus the next day too. TB's in Dallas this same plate would be like $120 or more. 

Brisket was moist AF and a gentle tug pulled it apart. Nice deep bark. I was super impressed. Sausage was the regular flavor as that's all they had and was pretty good, reminded me of a typical kielbasa. Candy ribs were amazing. All the sides were fantastic. I'm not a Mac and chez guy but when you add brisket I'm in, and it was great. 

Parking lot gets validated by the restaurant so not an issue at all. Grant knows what he's doing for sure and I'll be back. But Jesus get some fucking misters and fans for the line outside! IMG_6219.thumb.jpeg.16d50ebd8225acedcaa19e828488691c.jpeg

Are those charro or borracho beans ?

People like to shit on Pinkerton's for some reason, but it's usually where I send out-of-towners who want good bbq downtown. 

BMD who knows the Pinkertons got us in for a tour of their smokehouse one day and I was very impressed with the attention to detail. 

20210617_193940.jpg

Edited by Eggo
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...