2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

yep.  one thing i've noticed is how engaged altuve is during the game, even when he's not about to bat.  he's always on the front step, first to greet guys who score.  shit you typically don't see, except for college ball.  the only pitcher i've seen remotely like that is verlander.  he's always on the front rail, one of the first to high five guys, right in the thick of it.  bregman says he's having "the time of his life with his best friends".  and they're winning a shit-load of games, so why not.

if verlander retired tomorrow, his grandkids would never have to work.  it shouldn't come down to money.  it'll come down to life decisions, his wife/family, and where he wants to spend his time.  i could see him going back to detroit for a victory lap in a few years if they come along quickly, but i don't think that's gonna happen.  la is always an option, because he has a house here, and his wife is out here a lot. 

guys in their 30's who are no longer "chasing that one elusive championship" can follow their heart and have a good time.  if he thinks houston gives him the best chance to win more playoff games and a chance at more rings, thus fully cementing his plaque, i think he'll stay (provided we want him to).  i think he likes the relationship with nolan ryan he's established, and he seems to like to talk pitching and mentor younger power arms, like cole and mccullers. 

do we have any more young power righties coming down the pipe?

Jorge Alcala in Corpus probably has the best fastball among Astros prospects. 

25 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Why would you demote a guy hititng .300 in spot action ?

I agree. Kemp has been a pleasant surprise and may have earned a spot for the rest of the year. He only gets demoted if injured or goes on a long slump.

I know they are trying to work on his outfield defensive skills, but while Reed is in the bigs maybe Tucker could get some work at first to improve his versatility. Being a left handed option at first and DH may be a better route to the bigs this year than the outfield, barring injury.

This Mickey mouse shit the rays do with their rotation is fucking dumb
I agree but we have yet make them pay for it. Fuck them up and score about 14 runs and make them throw ever single arm in their bp. They keep getting off the hook by having a guy end up coming in and go 3 or 4 scoreless innings