2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

Besides Severino, their starters are very mediocre so they need all the bullpen help they can get.

Edit: supposedly for Dillon Tate as centerpiece and other prospects. Tate is the #9 rated prospect in the Yankee system.

That surprises me. We absolutely could have beat a deal headlined by Tate. Either we were not as interested as the pundits led us to believe, or the Orioles are run by imbeciles.

So we don’t get Herrera, Hand or Britton arguably the top 3 available back end relievers. Guess we just wait for Give It Away Giles to come back. Standing pat won’t get it done in my opinion but what do I know. I’ve bitched about Luhnow in the past so I’m just gonna sit back and watch. They’ve earned that for at least a year. 

So we don’t get Herrera, Hand or Britton arguably the top 3 available back end relievers. Guess we just wait for Give It Away Giles to come back. Standing pat won’t get it done in my opinion but what do I know. I’ve bitched about Luhnow in the past so I’m just gonna sit back and watch. They’ve earned that for at least a year. 

To be clear, all of us who were bitching last year were proven right. We NEEDED Verlander. No idea what the plan is for the bullpen, but I guess Luhnow has earned the benefit of the doubt until September 1st.

7 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I’m 100% good with Rondon being the closer 

We are not going to need a closer. In October, all of our bats are going to be on fire and we will sweep through the playoffs with the average score being 15-1.

Even though ratings won't be down because the entire world will enjoy us destroying the Red Sox, Yankees, and Dodgers again, the rest of the league will go along with them in instituting a 10-run-rule because everyone is afraid of us embarrassing them in the future. They will call the new rule The Astros Rule.

In order to invoke the rule to end their pain, the opposing manager must approach the crew chief with a microphone connected to the PA system and announce, "The Astros Rule".

33 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

To be clear, all of us who were bitching last year were proven right. We NEEDED Verlander. No idea what the plan is for the bullpen, but I guess Luhnow has earned the benefit of the doubt until September 1st.

You were all bitching about the bullpen last year too.  We couldn't have done it without Liriano and Tyler Clippard!!!1!1

Rondon has been good, but he lost the closer job twice in Chicago.  Don't know all the circumstances, but they got elite guys to replace him. 

They went out and got a guy that blew the WS Game 7 save.  Giles could do that.

Edited by WBT

38 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

remember when the astros had to face all those 'unhittable' / elite closers in the playoff, we were dooooooooooooooooomed !!!

I could see a guy like Eovaldi like HG has been saying.

It sounds a bit crazy but as much as Hinch has been harping on resting the starters, Eovaldi makes more and more sense the more I think about it. I’m not convinced Hinch isn’t going to go to a 6 man rotation in September. They’d prefer to have seen what Whitley could do, but his suspension and injury, I bet they are calling it and not counting on him being a factor this year.

-With Eovaldi, you have a guy that made his first appearance the week of Memorial Day, so like Keuchel and LMJ last year, he won’t be overworked going into September/ October.

-Gives you protection against an injury to the current 5 after the deadline without having to disrupt the role Peacock and McHugh have settled in to.

-Alvin HS product

-FA after this year, seems to be fine after TJ surgery in 2016 and some clean up surgery in March, but may not have to give up as much because of both of those reasons.

-Use him as a 6th starter in September move him to the pen in October.