2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

8 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Going 10-6 against three of the presumed worst teams in MLB and Minnesota isn't that great.

It's not. Obviously every team goes through uninspired stretches every year (remember the Astros getting swept by the White Sox last year?). It's frustrating right now because half of the season to date has been characterized by bad offense (not saying "half the season" means anything, just saying that it makes it feel frustrating). Here are the wRC+ numbers for some key guys (career mark in ()) - keep in mind that 100 is considered average:

Springer: 98 (131)

Altuve: 131 (124)

Correa: 112 (134)

Bregman: 95 (118)

Marwin: 75 (102)

Gattis: 69 (111)

Basically, everyone other than Altuve and Reddick are under-performing pretty substantially thus far. And even Altuve is under-performing what he did in '16-'17 by quite a bit (~155 the last 2 years). There is no reason to think that Springer will hit like an average player all season (he is very streaky); Bregman will be better. Correa will be better. Not as confident about Marwin or Gattis, but they aren't this bad. 

• Like 1

Springer, Bregman, and Correa will be fine. We may have a real issue with Jake, Marwin, Fisher, or Gattis, but Tucker could fix the third outfielder problem if it remains an issue, and we should be able to get a decent right-handed DH option at the deadline if we need to. No need to panic at this point. Nothing is fucked here, dudes.

No reason to flip out unless you are a clueless pussy then by all means flip out. We have 146 games to go and out pitching is still great and once the bats get going we will be fine. But no matter if they get going they will at some point have a slump like all teams do and the pitching will too. It’s all part of a long season. This shouldn’t even need explaining.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mbtex said:

I am not totally freaking out but we look more like the 2016 Astros at the plate than the 2017 Astros. I don't want to see us go back to striking out all the time.

I think this is how most people feel.   It's not "that" bad overall, but when you see us lose games where the starter goes 6-7+ innings and pitches well it stands out more.

Thus far we have 4 losses where we only scored 1 run and also 1 win where we only scored 1 run.   So in 31% of our games so far we've only scored 1 run.  That's bothersome.  And in those 4 games the most we gave up is 5 runs.  The losses are 5-1(DK gave up 3), 4-1(LMJ gave up 3), 4-1(DK gave up 3), 3-1(JV gave up 1).  All very winnable games. 

By contrast, last year we had our 5th game only scoring 1 run(or less) in the 43rd game of the season on May 20th. 

Last year we had 9 of our first 16 games where we scored 3 or less runs.  This year we've had 8. 

Key takeaway is that it's of course too early.  But I'd much rather see more crooked numbers on the board at this point than all those 1's. 

Edited by Ldogg53

1 hour ago, Jshep34 said:

All those poor people who waited in line and paid all that money on ebay, ouch.

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Right. Class move by the Astros to make it available to everyone, but those 10k that waited in that line or paid upwards of $100 for a knockoff ring must be pissed.

I waited in that line....damn it was cold! Worth it though.

I was barely able to secure tix to the June 20th game...Pops will get a ring now, awesome.

• Like 1

I’m surprised the marketing department hasn’t announced multiple retro uniform (not just the rainbows) to sell even more merchandise.

How many jerseys caps and t-shirts would they sell if they had retro nights for .45s, rainbows, rainbow sleeves, shooting star, brick red and/or pinstripes?

24 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Another brilliant move by the front office/ marketing team
Let’s take a Wednesday night game... against maybe the worst team in the league...on the first day of summer... and guarantee a sellout

Day before. June 21 is the first day of summer.