2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

So is the scouting report on Tuve to cheat up on the outfield?

If so he's going to break  obliterate the doubles record.  That shit was weird today. From the 4th inning on, it was really fucking weird.

Cleveland last season pitched 10.15 SO/9

Dodgers had 9.43 in 2016.

Detroit had 9.0 in 2013.

Granted, only 12% of the season is in the books, but that's a torrid pace.

Let's keep Sipp off the mound, eh?

20 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

bp actually looks better than i would've thought.

Yeah - I was lazy the first time and went back and corrected it.  Impacts mainly to ERA and WHIP.

Just the top 3 guys:

ERA 1.02

WHIP 0.80

BAA .165

Edited by Amos Moses

a topic on mlb now this morning discussed by the regular guys + stark was "do the astros have the best rotation of all time?"  obviously it's crazy early, but they basically said you feel good with any of the 5 on the hill knowing you need to win one game.  i would add tandem and throw peacock in there and you really have 6.  in crucial games, nobody would have to face the other lineup more than twice.

of course mad dog who hates the astros chimed in later and said the 1970 baltimore orioles.  just the fact this is a discussion is pleasing.

23 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

of course mad dog who hates the astros chimed in later and said the 1970 baltimore orioles.  just the fact this is a discussion is pleasing.

Of course Russo said that - they had 3 20-game winners! That's all he needs to draw this conclusion. 

The 2011 Phillies come to mind as a great rotation. 

Several of those Braves rotations from the 1990s are up there - just on the basis of having Maddox, Glavine, Smoltz, and whoever else.  

1993 - Greg Maddux (20-10, 2.36), Tom Glavine (22-6, 3.20), Steve Avery (18-6, 2.94), John Smoltz (15-11, 3.62)

1998 - Greg Maddux (18-9, 2.22), Tom Glavine (20-6, 2.47), Denny Neagle (16-11, 3.55), Kevin Millwood (17-8, 4.08), John Smoltz (17-3, 2.90)

derosa brought up the 1998 braves.

basically all agreed that as far as "swings and misses" this staff cannot be beat.  also we have six 11k games from our starters already.  the season record is 26 by johnson/schilling's d-backs (they were the only 2 to contribute).  would be a fun record to chase.

once we're clicking offensively, look the f out.

Lolz at the "swings and misses" qualifier. 

Braves got a metric shit ton of 'called strikes' that weren't. 

If they started automated balls/strikes right now, it would actually be beneficial to both the Astros pitching staff AND hitters. 

41 minutes ago, Horny Bull said:

I'm sure y'all have discussed this, but does anyone have a POV on sending Fisher down and bringing White up? Fisher and Marisnick are both bottom 10 offensive players in baseball right now and they possess a similar skill set. Gattis has had his lick and is a worthless DH. White has shown promise between last year, this spring, and his time both years in Triple A. I know it's a game of streaks and such, but realistically, Marisnick could whiff 11 times in every 14 ABs and still be on the roster for the playoffs. Nothing says Fisher is actually better than White, and nothing says that Gattis from 2 years, as he ages, is coming back. I'd like to see if White couldn't be productive at DH for a bit.

Fuck White over Gattis at DH. 

You dont break into the majors at DH and despite yesterday's atrocities on the base paths, El Oso Blanco has proven invaluable when the shit hits the fan.