2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

9 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Very nice win. Winning road trip against good teams with this lineup is quite pleasing.

very true. if we can keep playing relatively decent ball until we get the entire varsity lineup back, i'll be pretty happy. good win all things considered. get the mini-sweep today and let's come home.

#HTownPride

The Astros bullpen has the potential to be better than it already has been. Pressly, Osuna, Rondon in the 7th, 8th and 9th innings is stout. McHugh and Peacock (LMJ in playoffs) can hold down the long relief. Sipp, Devo and Harris in situational spots can be good. Combined with the best rotation in the league, even average offensive output should yield a lot of wins.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

For the first time in a while, we have a better record than at the same point last year.

They won't repeat the 2017 August loss total. I think the Astros play .500 ball the rest of the year and wind up 98-64

15 minutes ago, mycox said:

They won't repeat the 2017 August loss total. I think the Astros play .500 ball the rest of the year and wind up 98-64

Normally I might agree with you. But with the pitching we have, plus the fact we can't yet take the division crown for granted and are already playing largely a bunch of guys who otherwise might have been our September call-ups, I think we end up north of 100 wins.   

Edited by Gut Wagon

9 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Fisher was meh in AA and a huge shock he's meh on the MLB level 

lunhow loves him though. im guessing this is his last chance. he has tucker / jake / kemp in front of him 

FIsher had a 132 wRC+ with 16 HR and 23 SB in 102 AA games in 2016. He did strike out too much though. Then he obliterated AAA last year (and has performed well this year too). But he's obviously been bad at the MLB level. 

He's about to be 25 and still only had 248 big-league PAs. With his tools, I imagine he still has trade value - the guy has power and speed. But unless he can cut down on the strikeout/contact issues, he likely won't be a regular. 

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

He's more like a shittier Robbie Grossman, which is pretty fucking shitty

He's nothing like Grossman. Fisher is a plus athlete with a 60 power and 70 speed. If he improves his contact he has all-star potential. It is looking less and less likely to happen, but he has tools that GMs would value. 

I don’t think we can win today with this lineup.
3fe3a2684a0ee4c2f89a955192bb04c5.jpg

So another 9-3 win like the last time we had a lineup that was that ugly on paper

I’m excited to see how DK performs today.
Go back up thread and read the article from the Athletic I posted last night during the game.
Lots of good info on his recent resurgence

32 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I’m excited to see how DK performs today.
Go back up thread and read the article from the Athletic I posted last night during the game.
Lots of good info on his recent resurgence

Listen to this guy. He can't do simple math, but knows what he is talking about.

Posted June 13 , Mycox said:
Keuchel will turn it around after the break.

I'm sticking with 98-64

Bumgarner is good but he's not what he once was...not that it will make much of a difference with what we are trotting out there today.

Also, I think Stassi may be the most underrated player on the team.  Was looking up his framing stats the other day and he's blowing everyone away this season.

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/sortable/index.php?cid=1899425

Defensively the most valuable catcher in baseball this year, and he can hit, too.

Edited by Fozzz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

He's nothing like Grossman. Fisher is a plus athlete with a 60 power and 70 speed. If he improves his contact he has all-star potential. It is looking less and less likely to happen, but he has tools that GMs would value. 

Plus athelte does not mean a plus baseball player 

58 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Plus athelte does not mean a plus baseball player 

Nobody said it does. But plus-athlete combined with minor league production does mean that he will get a longer leash and more opportunities than lesser athletes. 

The questions was whether Fisher still had any value either to the Astros or on the trade market (more likely). I am just suggesting that his minor league performance + physical tools means that he still has trade value. He has 250 big-league plate appearances; he's not a lost cause yet.

None of this means that he has a high probability of becoming a good major league player. It just means that he has a higher probability than many others, and thus maintains trade value (though probably not as much as he had at this point last year).