Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

32 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The first thing anyone who was alive during the early 90s thinks about when they hear the name Clarence Thomas is Anita Hill.

This will follow Brett Kavanaugh for the rest of his life.

I agree.  But it'll never be on the same planet as "Monica Lewinsky", "stained blue dress", "Presidential DNA", "giving the Oval Office a good scrubbing", and "Oral Office".  As Jay Leno said, "THe Golden Age of Comedy is over", and "Comedy will never get better than blow jobs in the Oval Office."

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I'd like someone to point to an example of Republicans ever showing "good will" when it comes to politics.

to which party do the Senators who everyone is looking to to "break ranks" belong?

why is it a given that the Dems are voting as a block, in lock step, no matter what this "investigation" yielded?

the question answers itself.   It is a ridiculous notion that a Dem might vote for this guy on his merits. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TtomTerrific said:

to which party do the Senators who everyone is looking to to "break ranks" belong?

why is it a given that the Dems are voting as a block, in lock step, no matter what this "investigation" yielded?

the question answers itself.   It is a ridiculous notion that a Dem might vote for this guy on his merits. 

Were you asleep when the entire Republican party supported Mitch McConnell's decision not to give Merrick Garland a hearing?

2 minutes ago, MixtyMotions said:

I agree.  But it'll never be on the same planet as "Monica Lewinsky", "stained blue dress", "Presidential DNA", "giving the Oval Office a good scrubbing", and "Oral Office".  As Jay Leno said, "THe Golden Age of Comedy is over", and "Comedy will never get better than blow jobs in the Oval Office."

Probably because Clarence Thomas will never be anywhere near as important as Bill Clinton in American history.

7 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

If Kavanaugh gets on the court, he’s not going to get impeached unless he’s criminally indicted.  Just want to put that shit to rest. 

It wouldn’t be politically savvy for either side to push impeachment after this shitshow.

Also a terrible precedent to set. It all harkens back to elections have consequences. Fucking vote if you hate what you are seeing. Don't call for impeachment. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Agreed. Those naively banging the drum of “that’s fine, confirm him, then he will be IMPEACHED for PERJURY and lose not only this but also his day job and any chance of being a Judge Again!!!!!!!!” are just as ridiculous and sad as those who were screaming “We got Trump on emoluments!!!! We are going to impeach him because of emoluments!!” And just typing that I’m LOLing

Does it bother you at all that Donald Trump has been laundering money for decades?

3 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

that there is a single version of the report is laughable, and points to what a sham it is. dissembling at its best. ridiculous.

Lest anyone shout "BUT LEAKS":

It's extremely common practice on the hill to have paper only meetings on legislation, reports, etc.  I was at one not 2 weeks ago.  It's hard no cellphone policy, the door is locked, and they hand out numbered copies.  You then must return all the copies before the door is unlocked.

This one copy thing is absolute bullshit.

1 minute ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Is that a fact? If he’s been illegally laundering money and it can be proven he should absolutely be brought to justice is my opinion. I don’t believe the awesome use of legal loopholes is immoral and obviously not illegal, however, if that’s all that can be proven he did. It’s why I respect Mitt Romney after all even though he’s a Mormon.

Yes. It's a fact.

Just now, swraith said:

Collins sounds like a yes vote this morning.

Flake sounds like a yes vote this morning.

Kavanaugh is going to be confirmed.

The FBI thing was actually a pretty shrewd play by Flake.  Conservatives owe him for this one.

1 minute ago, Bateshorn said:

Yeah.  If you are the Dems, it's probably best to get on with the vote and move on to the midterms.

I'm impressed that the Democrats actually forced the Republicans to expend so much time, energy, and political capital on this. As an added bonus, the right has managed to piss off women voters.

Well, done, Diane. Well done.

1 minute ago, swraith said:

Collins sounds like a yes vote this morning.

Flake sounds like a yes vote this morning.

Kavanaugh is going to be confirmed.

and no one is surprised.

flake is the worst kind of person. mcconnell is a snake, but he's comfortable in his scaly skin. flake tries to be something else, and he knows he's betraying his instincts, and he does it anyway. he's this guy:

KpFmPE.gif

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

The FBI thing was actually a pretty shrewd play by Flake.  Conservatives owe him for this one.

There's a filthy level of implied coordination b/w the advise and consent body and the executive. You get the feeling Flake knew he could count on the WH to keep the FBI investigation b/w the ditches and avoid any real discovery.

• Like 1

It is a joke that the WH is so concerned about this report becoming public that they're only giving one copy to the entire senate.  And one senator at a time is allowed to be in the same room with it.  No copies.  No phones allowed near it.  I believe the senators are allowed to make handwritten notes to take with them out of the room.   Sad that we treat this report with more security than many other important documents.

Just now, retread said:

There's a filthy level of implied coordination b/w the advise and consent body and the executive. You get the feeling Flake knew he could count on the WH to keep the FBI investigation b/w the ditches and avoid any real discovery.

Bingo.  Flake knew Rosenstein, McGahn, Kavanaugh, and Wray are all boys in the same club. 

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It is a joke that the WH is so concerned about this report becoming public that they're only giving one copy to the entire senate.  And one senator at a time is allowed to be in the same room with it.  No copies.  No phones allowed near it.  I believe the senators are allowed to make handwritten notes to take with them out of the room.   Sad that we treat this report with more security than many other important documents.

What, like FISA warrants and sources and methods?

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I'm impressed that the Democrats actually forced the Republicans to expend so much time, energy, and political capital on this. As an added bonus, the right has managed to piss off women voters.

Well, done, Diane. Well done.

You think they are pissed now?  Wait until Kavanaugh writes the majority opinion overturning Roe.   Well, done, Diane, We,ll,d,one.  All of those non-aborts are going to create a permanent Dem majority after all of the surly posters are dead.

28 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

that there is a single version of the report is laughable, and points to what a sham it is. dissembling at its best. ridiculous.

I have no issue with the report itself being kept secret.  There may be some embarrassing, but not disqualifying, information in it.  I'm more concerned that it seems that the FBI didn't contact any of the individuals that may have information.  For all we know, Trump assigned it directly to a lackey who did nothing but write a sunshine pumping report.  They should publish the names of the agents who did the investigation, as well as their sworn statements on their processes and who they interviewed.

I expect it to say "Everyone we talked to says he's awesome."  Meanwhile, everyone who claims to actually know things will insist that they were never spoken to by the FBI.

Edited by FondrenRoad

1 minute ago, horncyclist said:

This could not have gone better politically for Dems. 

Yup.  Kavanaugh being confirmed and establishing a conservative majority on the court is definitely the best outcome for the Ds.  Exactly what they were hoping for.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

This could not have gone better politically for Dems. GOP outrage will die down as soon as this out of the news. Dems and Women, not so much.

I disagree. When your signature win is a loss, that never bodes well. It didn't drive turnout for windy Davis, It didn't augur big wins for Charlie Weis (USC), It hasn't delivered national prominence for Aggy ("Early Setback"), and it won't deliver control of the Senate for the Democrats. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

6 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

This could not have gone better politically for Dems. GOP outrage will die down as soon as this out of the news. Dems and Women, not so much.

lol nope.  Conservative majority on the SC for the foreseeable future.  No way he gets impeached after getting confirmed.  Bullshit investigation.  I'm all for due process but at least let the fucking process take place.  

1 minute ago, horncyclist said:

Aggy’s loss to Clemson could not have gone better. The record will be forgotten but everyone will remember that the refs screwed them.

No, wait, that’s not how it works. Records are forever and Justices serve for life. 

Dems need to match Pub ruthlessness. They won’t, so any moral victory gained today will be pissed away tomorrow  

• Like 1

lol nope.  Conservative majority on the SC for the foreseeable future.  No way he gets impeached after getting confirmed.  Bullshit investigation.  I'm all for due process but at least let the fucking process take place.  
Notice I said politically. As for the Court, we move from swing vote as Kennedy to Roberts as the swing vote. Hoping Dems can take the Senate and can force someone reasonable to replace Thomas and if not, hold the seat open for 2 years.

Ginsburg better keep at her exercise routine for the time being.