Champions League 2018-2019

sidis

2 minutes ago, Gucci_Suit said:

Entertaining run of games this week. I don’t dislike United, but good to see PSG in the mix. Roma has no shot, but they played well. Dortmund outplayed Spurs for a lot of the game and then got throttled. And Madrid are still VAR Los Campeones. Good week. 

3 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

First time i jave seen this shitty b/r tnt shit...why the fuck is steve nash there...nbc does bring on barkley to cover football

I know nash loves futbol but i just cant lol

It's a little more than  "Steve Nash is a soccer fan." I mean, why do they have Mark Cuban talk about basketball?

Steve Nash is a former soccer player who was raised by a father who was a professional soccer player and then later a coach. His brother played professional soccer and Steve is part owner of an MLS club and a Spanish 2nd division club.

...oh, and he happens to be an international sports star, that sports fans who might just be casual soccer fans, would be familiar with.

From Wiki...

Early Life

Nash was born in Johannesburg, South Africa, to a Welsh mother, Jean, and English father, John, on 7 February 1974.[1][2][3][4] His family moved to Regina, Saskatchewan, when he was 18 months old, before settling in Victoria, British Columbia.[4] He, therefore, holds British as well as Canadian citizenship. Before the family settled in Canada, his father played professional soccer in various parts of the world.[4] Nash often played soccer and ice hockey with his younger brother Martin** and did not start playing basketball until he was 12 or 13 years old.[5] In grade eight, however, he told his mother that one day he would play in the NBA and would become a star.[4] He was a neighbour to future NHL stars Russ and Geoff Courtnall, who used to babysit him and played soccer coached by Nash's father.[6]

**Younger brother Martin Nash's wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Nash_(soccer)

Soccer

1920px-Steve_Nash_Showdown_in_Chinatown_
Nash contemplated a soccer career before deciding to focus on basketball full-time.

Nash grew up playing soccer—he stated in a 2005 interview that he could have played professionally if he had focused on it[129]—and continues to hold an interest in the sport. When Dirk Nowitzki arrived in the NBA from Germany, he and Nash became close friends, in part because they enjoyed watching soccer together. Nash is friends with several professional soccer players, including Alessandro Del PieroThierry HenryOwen HargreavesMassimo Ambrosini and Steve McManaman.[130] During his off-season, when he lives in New York City, he has trained with the New York Red Bulls of Major League Soccer,[131] and once tried to arrange a pick-up game in the city's Central Park with the Red Bulls and one of his local teams.[132]

Nash, whose father was born in the Tottenham district of London, is a lifelong Tottenham Hotspur supporter, and has expressed interest in owning a minority stake in the club. "I'd like to be an owner. It's something I could do for the rest of my life after my little window of popularity dies", he said in an interview with The New York Times.[133] Nash added, "I've been a passionate supporter all my life. My parents are from north London and so it's not like I'm some Yank who wants to make a profit out of football. I don't care about making money. I just want to see Spurs succeed and, if I can help, that's great." However, he said any participation in Spurs would come after his basketball career is over, and he has had only "casual contact" with chairman Daniel Levy and former director of football Damien Comolli.[134] Nash is also a fan of Spain's FC Barcelona,[70] and Brazilian team Sport Club Corinthians Paulista, which his former Suns teammate Leandro Barbosa supports. When Barbosa visited Corinthians in 2007, the club gave him a shirt with Nash's name and jersey number.[135]

Nash had also previously made statements about his intention to bring Major League Soccer to Vancouver as early as 2011, which he has succeeded in doing.[136] He joined the USL-1 Vancouver Whitecaps FC team's ownership group in July 2008, and in March 2009, Vancouver was officially named as a future MLS expansion city, set to join the league in 2011.[137][138] Nash occasionally attends practice for his co-owned team, also called Vancouver Whitecaps FC.[139]

Nash, along with former Yahoo! president and fellow Victoria-native Jeff Mallett, are investors in Women's Professional Soccer, a soccer league that was launched in March 2009. Nash cited his twin daughters and wanting to have role models for them to look up to as a reason for supporting the league.[140] Nash also co-hosted Showdown in Chinatown in 2008, an 8-on-8 charity soccer game held at Sara D. Roosevelt Park. He scored two goals in his team's 8–5 victory. Participants included Thierry HenryJason KiddBaron Davis, and Suns teammates Raja Bell and Leandro Barbosa.[141]

In July 2013, Nash participated in a training session with the Italian soccer club Inter Milan at the New York Red Bulls' facilities in New Jersey.[142] He also trained with the New York Cosmos B of the American fourth-division National Premier Soccer League in 2015.[143]

On 5 January 2016, it was announced that Nash was part of a group that purchased a $21 million stake in Spanish Segunda División club RCD Mallorca. The group also included Phoenix Suns owner Robert Sarver and Suns vice chairman Andy Kohlberg.[144]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Nash

Got a feeling that the Nash family is pretty stoked tonight.

1 hour ago, Bone3421 said:

Lol @ going way to overboard defending garbage tnt broadcast

Everyone knows nash played growing up its not news

You asked and I 'splained.

He's far and away the most well known person (to Americans) on their broadcast.

He just needs a new Wardrobe Assistant.

Other than that, he's fine.

To Nash being a known ... So?

NBC has stocked their studio with a bunch of people that American's don't know for almost 6 years, and they have the best Soccer coverage this side of the Atlantic. Being known doesn't mean shit.

Nash is good, asking why he is there is valid. That you have to post that much info to defend him proves just how thin his credentials are. I don't see anyone needing to post that for Holden or Howard.

TNTs coverage is still better than Fox, but man it needs work.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

To Nash being a known ... So?

NBC has stocked their studio with a bunch of people that American's don't know for almost 6 years, and they have the best Soccer coverage this side of the Atlantic. Being known doesn't mean shit.

Nash is good, asking why he is there is valid. That you have to post that much info to defend him proves just how thin his credentials are. I don't see anyone needing to post that for Holden or Howard.

TNTs coverage is still better than Fox, but man it needs work.

People who are waking up at 6am on a Sunday morning do not need a recognizable face to watch the show.

People who are flipping through channels in the middle of the afternoon and find soccer on TBS/TNT/whatever... are likely to continue flipping when it comes to halftime, because they don't give a shit. But... if they're a regular TBS/TNT viewer, then they might already be an NBA fan. The casual sports fan who has followed the NBA and includes TBS/TNT in their normal channels is more likely to listen to what Nash has to say than some random expert who played in Europe for 15 years and has won 8 trophies.

I'm not saying that there aren't better people, but Nash was hired for a reason. 

It's not that difficult to understand AND he at least knows what he's talking about.

Would you prefer Stephen A. Smith?

• Like 1

Real Madrid got so lucky yesterday. They DID NOT deserve the victory. Got lucky there with VAR, you rarely see VAR get one close call right. I still think that they made the right call. Attacker in offside position impeding/obstructing the GK to make a play. And no, he wasn't going to make the save. So lucky. 

Edited by JNip

24 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Liverpool Bayern has been fantastic

8 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Very up and down, I'm really shocked that no one has scored.

This. Too bad they can't stagger these matches so that we can watch both. The Lyon/Barca match looks to be a good one as well.

On 2/12/2019 at 4:35 PM, Captain Ron said:

And that matters how?

A. Pogba is going to be watching the 2nd leg of this match up.

B. ManU is being exposed against good teams. Fulham isn't that.

I agree anything is possible, but this is far from 2017 PSG-Barca.

It was joke. B is the point that I was making.