Dallas Cowboys 2018 Regular Season Thread

Vic Mackey

18 hours ago, dcar00 said:

anyone who doesn't realize this apparently was asleep during 2015 when Jason Garrett in his 5th year as HC could only cobble together 1 fucking win in 12 games without Romo.  and Romo won the one game he came back to play before being injured again.   if Jason Witten makes the HOF he can thank Tony Romo.

Romo is squarely at the top of the Hall of Very Good of QB's historically.  he has a decent winning percentage compared to most great QB's but he played on a lot of teams with dogshit defenses that he had to overcome.   

He and Matt Ryan were basically the same guy until Ryan made the SB run.  they both have a tendency to gag at the wrong time as well.

To be fair he’s always had Jerry as his GM. 

not in december and the playoffs.  if romo starts in the playoffs I don’t think we see the wrong side of a lead on the way to the lombardi.  
Yeah because Romo was successful in December and the playoffs.. The Romo romance from so many fans tells us how low our expectations are. He won one more playoff game than rookie Tim Tebow. Dude wasn't a winner and could not he counted on when it counted. People have this image of Romo that didn't exist.

Look I’m not one to make excuses but I’ll make some here. Romo had a somewhat cursed career. 

Starting with GM Jerry Jones and Head Coach Jason Garrett most of his career. What I would give to go back in time and have Parcells stay. Or hire Andy Reid after getting our asses kicked for years. A fluke fumbled snap against the Seahawks. Romo hit Crayton in the hands on a slant for a game changing possibly winning touchdown against the Super Bowl Champion Giants. Dez caught the fucking football in GB. Watching Blandino this past Sunday talking about a reviewed catch for the Lions... I remained calm but lost my shit in my head. Then the injuries. Finally get Romo an elite oline and RB and he gets hurt. A rookie 4th round QB goes on a winning streak that no doubt a healthy Romo equals and probably exceeds.

Thats just of the top of my head. All the other lost seasons in between for various other bs reasons. The man wasn’t perfect but to put the blame solely on him for this teams playoff failures is crazy.

Sounds like a lot of excuses to me. For every bad luck Romo had that you listed, he he was the cause of the loss directly plenty of other times and then some. You don't play as long as he did and never win shit and chalk it up as being cursed. That whole era included. Not just Romo. This goes for the beloved Witten and Dez. They were the Chargers of the NFC. Cute little team that is fun to watch a lot of the time but were never going to legitimately contend.

I’d argue the last three instances listed were legit Super Bowl contenders. The Giants won the Super Bowl. We beat GB who then loses in Seattle where the Cowboys had already won in almost dominating fashion earlier in the year. The Hawks then go on to lose by a slim margin to the Pats that year. And as already mentioned itt a healthy Romo is a difference over a rookie Dak in 2017. Who knows what happens that year.

Excuses being if a few things happen differently that Romo really had no control over he could have won 1 2 maybe 3 Super Bowls. At least admit we will never know. All while overcoming the organization he played for.

Edited by Dropout
Has had

50 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
1 hour ago, futureman said:
not in december and the playoffs.  if romo starts in the playoffs I don’t think we see the wrong side of a lead on the way to the lombardi.  

Yeah because Romo was successful in December and the playoffs.. The Romo romance from so many fans tells us how low our expectations are. He won one more playoff game than rookie Tim Tebow. Dude wasn't a winner and could not he counted on when it counted. People have this image of Romo that didn't exist.

24 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Sounds like a lot of excuses to me. For every bad luck Romo had that you listed, he he was the cause of the loss directly plenty of other times and then some. You don't play as long as he did and never win shit and chalk it up as being cursed. That whole era included. Not just Romo. This goes for the beloved Witten and Dez. They were the Chargers of the NFC. Cute little team that is fun to watch a lot of the time but were never going to legitimately contend.

God, you're a fucking moron.  You sound like a Texans fan.  However, I agree the team wasn't "cursed."  It's been easy to see the reason this team has been unable to succeed in the playoffs.  It's Jerry Fucking Jones and the crew of half-brained yes men he's assembled as coaches.  Nothing unlucky or cursed about  it, just a bad management resulting in predictably bad (at times mediocre) teams.  The fact that you can't give Romo his fucking due is pathetic.  I bet you think Eli Manning is a badass, huh.  He's just a flat out winner cause he won two super bowl rings.  Or maybe his team had good management and good coaching.  Nope, Eli's a winner, Romo's a loser.  Fuck you and you're inability to see beyond w-l record.   

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Sounds like a lot of excuses to me. For every bad luck Romo had that you listed, he he was the cause of the loss directly plenty of other times and then some. You don't play as long as he did and never win shit and chalk it up as being cursed. That whole era included. Not just Romo. This goes for the beloved Witten and Dez. They were the Chargers of the NFC. Cute little team that is fun to watch a lot of the time but were never going to legitimately 

The bottom line is he played on shit teams, which is an incredibly valid excuse. 

14 hours ago, futureman said:

I've pretty much thought this since the playoffs that season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Nope.  Romo's a loser.  He's shit compared to the likes of Eli Manning, Brad Johnson, and Trent Dilfer.  

You're right man. How could I have placed any blame on those historically bad defenses or those horribad offensive lines? Romo should've won super bowls anyway. 

Edited by immortal13

A player who was 0-3 in divisional round games should never have won a Super Bowl. Does anyone think Rivers should have won a Super Bowl?

I've never seen a player so revered by a fanbase who never won anything. Hell I don't McNabb gets that much love in Philly and he was infinitely more successful than Romo. Romo is the awww shucks lovable loser who's never sniffed playoff success. Jerry broke the bank on him twice but didn't get anything but 2 wild card wins for it. Not a great investment.

He hasn't played a meaningful game in 3 seasons but yet he's brought up constantly by our fanbase like he wouldn't go out there and get hurt yet again.

On 10/3/2018 at 7:57 AM, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Would it hurt us anymore financially to bring back Dez?  

Hurt financially? No

Probably destroy the locker room after he called the captains snitches, called Lee a snake, called out Frederick, and called out Linehan? Yeah. 

If he hadn't acted like a 15 yr old bitch during his time here and on his way out he would have probably already signed back here for cheap. 

Romo was a very good QB but he did have the "choker gene" so to speak. Too many times when the season was on the line in a win or go home scenario he either outright threw it away with fumbles/picks or he didn't raise his game above regular season level to where he needed to be to close out games in the playoffs. Love the dude as a commentator but anyone who thinks at age 36 after being repeatedly broken and repeatedly showing he wasn't a big game performer he was just going to lead the team to a title is insanely delusional. You'd think a fanbase that had seen major big game performers at the position like Aikman and Staubach along with a ton of games against another guy with the choke gene (although not as bad as Romo's) in McNabb would be able to recognize the difference. 

Romo's playing career has been dead since January of 2015. Move on already and talk about Romo the game broadcaster. That's his true calling and where he really shines. If he keeps it up for a long time he'll make the Hall of Fame for his broadcasting contributions alone. 

the oilers are not the texans, they are the titans. I don't remember them having much of a rivalry with the oilers, and they only have a preseason rivalry with the texans that much bigger in the texans' minds than the cowboys.

Edited by Viper

1 hour ago, Viper said:

the oilers are not the texans, they are the titans. I don't remember them having much of a rivalry with the oilers, and they only have a preseason rivalry with the texans that much bigger in the texans' minds than the cowboys.

Accurate, are your points, but then again, Dallas are most of the teams in the NFL as an "unofficial" rival...

1 hour ago, Viper said:

I mean I know thats true in theory, but that's like saying the browns are the Ravens.  The Texans fanbase is generally the same fanbase as the Oilers. However, I am not from Houston so may completely off base. 

16 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

A player who was 0-3 in divisional round games should never have won a Super Bowl. Does anyone think Rivers should have won a Super Bowl?

I've never seen a player so revered by a fanbase who never won anything. Hell I don't McNabb gets that much love in Philly and he was infinitely more successful than Romo. Romo is the awww shucks lovable loser who's never sniffed playoff success. Jerry broke the bank on him twice but didn't get anything but 2 wild card wins for it. Not a great investment.

He hasn't played a meaningful game in 3 seasons but yet he's brought up constantly by our fanbase like he wouldn't go out there and get hurt yet again.

For 90% of his career he played behind horrible offensive lines without a star running back, and on teams with historically bad defenses. Why is this so hard to understand?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Viper said:

Yep. And it burns me that the Browns were given their fake history of the Browns organization by the NFL, which is currently in Baltimore.  I still kinda pull for the Titans because they're still the old Oilers to me. I even went and covered a couple of the Oilers games in Memphis during the limbo period.

1 hour ago, immortal13 said:

For 90% of his career he played behind horrible offensive lines without a star running back, and on teams with historically bad defenses. Why is this so hard to understand?

If that idiot Patrick Crayton doesn't drop a perfect pass, the Giants have one less ring, the Patriots probably have their undefeated Superbowl season, and Romo has at least one more playoff win.

1 hour ago, immortal13 said:

this is woefully wrong on many levels. first of all Romo was only a starter for only 8 seasons,  in those eight seasons he was on teams that went to the playoffs 4 times, 2006,2007,2009 and 2014. during those same eight seasons he had julius jones for two years (one very good year)where he gained  over 1,000 in 2006, then marion barber for three years (two very good years) and demarco murray for the rest.  those arent spare running backs and you don't gain over 1,000 yards rushing behind terrible OL's.

so no , 90% of his career was not with trash teams. people have good old days going on right now big time.  i liked romo starting, he was a good QB but not a championship one and a lot of that was his fault for choking in the playoffs, those are facts

51 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

this is woefully wrong on many levels. first of all Romo was only a starter for only 8 seasons,  in those eight seasons he was on teams that went to the playoffs 4 times, 2006,2007,2009 and 2014. during those same eight seasons he had julius jones for two years (one very good year)where he gained  over 1,000 in 2006, then marion barber for three years (two very good years) and demarco murray for the rest.  those arent spare running backs and you don't gain over 1,000 yards rushing behind terrible OL's.

so no , 90% of his career was not with trash teams. people have good old days going on right now big time.  i liked romo starting, he was a good QB but not a championship one and a lot of that was his fault for choking in the playoffs, those are facts

Julius Jones? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

No dude I'm not wrong. Romo played behind shit offensive lines and on historically bad defensive teams. Julius Jones was a decent back at best. A premier or star running back? No. Fucking. Way.  And Barber was decent for the limited time he played. 

My point that you are too obtuse to acknowledge is that Romo never had a great offensive line, a great running back, .....and he dang sure never played on a Cowboys team with a great defense. If Aikman had taken snaps behind the O-lines that Romo had(his entire career minus 2014) he would be in a wheelchair.  

Romo played on shit teams. To claim otherwise is just stupid

Edited by immortal13

8 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

He had over 1,000 yards his first year. If that’s your only comeback then you showed you were pitifully wrong across the board

And he did NOT have over a 1000 yards his first year, you lying fucker. I just looked it up and he had 819. Nice try, homie

And he did NOT have over a 1000 yards his first year, you lying fucker. I just looked it up and he had 819. Nice try, homie

In his first year with Romo in 2006 you mouth breathing moron. Again this is your only point? I just proved everything about your statement was wrong so STFU

4 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

In his first year with Romo in 2006 you mouth breathing moron. Again this is your only point? I just proved everything about your statement was wrong so STFU

Then he dropped off into the 500's after that. What is your point, you dumb cunt? I clearly said that Romo did not play with a consistently good team, in any facet of the game, and you counter with Julius Jones and Marion Barber? Lulz

Then he dropped off into the 500's after that. What is your point, you dumb cunt? I clearly said that Romo did not play with a consistently good team, in any facet of the game, and you counter with Julius Jones and Marion Barber? Lulz

No you said Romo had to play 90% on shitty teams with no good RB’s or defenses. I showed you were clearly wrong in that 50% of his teams went to the playoffs and he played with four years of DeMarco Murray, two years with a good Marion barber and one good year with jones. Shitty OL don’t produce 1,000 yard rushers and 3500 yard passers

You don’t even know what you’re talking about. You need to know your facts before calling me out

22 hours ago, 'stache said:

I was raised to cheer for both the Cowboys and Oilers.  My dad may have been weird, or the butthurt didn't start until Houston lost their team and got a replacement with a dumb name and logo.

I always had an affinity for both the Cowboys & Oilers growing up, but I still haven't really bought into the fact that the Oilers aren't Houston...

21 hours ago, Mileslong said:

A few things for accuracy:

A. 1000 yards is totally unremarkable number for bell-cow RBs since the 16 game season started long ago.

B. Julius Jones was a marginal starting RB, and just barely got over 1000 yards one season. He averaged 3.9 yards per carry in his Cowboys career, and that was with a freak 200 yard game averaged in.

C. Marion Barber was the Cowboys leading RB for about six seasons, and never reached the 1000 yard mark in a season a single time.

D. It wasn't just the offense. The defenses were mostly terrible during that span, and gave away numerous games where Romo had played really well, including some great comebacks that were wasted because the Cowboys D gave up comebacks from the comebacks.

A few things for accuracy:
A. 1000 yards is totally unremarkable number for bell-cow RBs since the 16 game season started long ago.
B. Julius Jones was a marginal starting RB, and just barely got over 1000 yards one season. He averaged 3.9 yards per carry in his Cowboys career, and that was with a freak 200 yard game averaged in.
C. Marion Barber was the Cowboys leading RB for about six seasons, and never reached the 1000 yard mark in a season a single time.
D. It wasn't just the offense. The defenses were mostly terrible during that span, and gave away numerous games where Romo had played really well, including some great comebacks that were wasted because the Cowboys D gave up comebacks from the comebacks.

And how many games did Romo lose for us because of inopportune turnovers? Again, nothing but excuses for this guy. I don't get it. He never won shit here but is so revered. Hell Aikman was trashed more and he won us 3 Super Bowls. Our fans latch onto this era that never accomplished shit. And that goes for all of them, but just Romo. He's a guy who won't let your team be shitty. Sprinkle in a few really good regular reasons like 2007 and 2014 but only got one playoff win combined from them both. And the rest is just average junk like 2008, 11, 12 and 13. As well as one very bad season in 2010. Yes he was hurt but had us at 1-3 or 1-4 when he got hurt.

Majority of his career, his teams were rolling around in mediocrity. Yet his career is so revered by many. Meh.

11 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

And how many games did Romo lose for us because of inopportune turnovers? Again, nothing but excuses for this guy. I don't get it. He never won shit here but is so revered. Hell Aikman was trashed more and he won us 3 Super Bowls. Our fans latch onto this era that never accomplished shit. And that goes for all of them, but just Romo. He's a guy who won't let your team be shitty. Sprinkle in a few really good regular reasons like 2007 and 2014 but only got one playoff win combined from them both. And the rest is just average junk like 2008, 11, 12 and 13. As well as one very bad season in 2010. Yes he was hurt but had us at 1-3 or 1-4 when he got hurt.

Majority of his career, his teams were rolling around in mediocrity. Yet his career is so revered by many. Meh.

Romo had quite a few miscues late in games. In most cases it was because he was the only reason the Cowboy were ever IN the game, and had been left to try to bring the team back late and had no choice to to force risky passes, often on fourth down or 3rd and forever on the last possession.

It was popular to bash Romo, before it became popular to slob his knob. He left the game with a reputation of being a truly outstanding quarterback whose career had been mostly wasted on a terribly flawed franchise.

Edited by DougO
  • Like 4

And for accuracy barber had over 1200 total yards in two of those years and one year had 16 TDs and 14 in the other. That’s not some spare. Some of you act like Romo had no talent around him at all and he did it all himself.

They had top 10 defenses four times. But don’t let the let the facts get in the way of your hero worship

• Like 1

On 10/4/2018 at 11:29 AM, Patrick Bateman said:

Getting back to this year..... Hmmm..... IR maybe?

On 10/5/2018 at 10:46 AM, Patrick Bateman said:

Frederick may go on IR for Irving.  Everything I've heard and read as been it's extremely unlikely he plays this year.  But next year, he should be good to go....

Looks like both go on IR..... TWill probably is done in Dallas.  Frederick hopefully is back 100% next year.

Edited by Patrick Bateman