Dallas Cowboys 2018 Regular Season Thread

Vic Mackey

And for accuracy barber had over 1200 total yards in two of those years and one year had 16 TDs and 14 in the other. That’s not some spare. Some of you act like Romo had no talent around him at all and he did it all himself.

They had top 10 defenses four times. But don’t let the let the facts get in the way of your hero worship

That’s true. But what about the other 6 years? What about when his OL was the worst in the damn league.

If you’re going to hype up his weapons and defense at those times, give him credit for the years he did do it with no help.

Romo only played 8 seasons basically, 6 games in one season and 4 in another. Some of those years the defense was middle of the pack and others were top ten. Not sure how loaded you need the team to be in order to admit Romo had enough around him some of those years to actually win something.

I’m not a Romo hater, I never once called for him to be traded because I know how hard it is to find a good QB. But to blame his team for the only reason he never won anything is ridiculous. He made some awesome plays but also choked it away during critical moments.

• Like 1

That’s true. But what about the other 6 years? What about when his OL was the worst in the damn league.

If you’re going to hype up his weapons and defense at those times, give him credit for the years he did do it with no help.
No help? Lulz. Romo never was the only player on the team. I know the Romo fans love to spin it this way but it wasn't the case. He had some really good weapons in his time here.

30 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Garret is gone. 4th and 1 sealed his fate.

The Browns are better than the Cowboys in 2018. A good football team beats the Texans by 21. 

Oh well, Longhorns are good again, so will stop caring as much this year about the Cowboys dumbasses

Sadly, I don't think 4th and 1 did seal Jason's fate. If he can limp to 8-8 or 9-7 I can easily see Jerry keeping him. Jerry wants to win with a puppet coach so he can say those three Super Bowls were because of him.  

17 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I'm so apathetic to this team now. I haven't created a game thread in 2 weeks because I'm starting to care less and less. Fuck Jason Garrett. I don't give a fuck about Linehan because this is Garrett's offense and philosophy.

Yep.  I ended up watching the rest of a rerun of Gold Rush Alaska during the 3rd, then went to bed.  Thank you Horns for preserving my football sanity but Jobes/Garrett can f off.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn
  • Like 1

The good news for me after last night's game, is that I'm emotionally done for the year. Don't care what happens the rest of the season.  I had a little hope but nope.  Somewhat freeing. They've proven again that as long as Jerruh owns the team they will never be more than average. Jason is probably the best coach that will ever work for him, and that's a sad commentary. 

• Like 1

Jason Garrett's game management reminds me of those people who drive 20 mph under the speed limit on the highway because they think it's safer. It's not, you're more likely to cause an accident that way. He's so conservative that he's hurting himself and the team but he just does not see it that way.  Punting on 4th and 1, settling for a field goals where you had a chance to put the hammer on them in the 1st half deep in their territory after the missed fg, and, not complete related to my conservative point, but the completely wasted timeout with the challenge of a clearly incomplete catch according to the rules. This man has no idea how to coach and hasn't figured it out in 9 seasons. 

Play calling sucked, but if we had just one fucking weapon at receiver, we are a completely different team.  That was the difference last night.  Houston had play maker(s) they could throw to who could go up and get the ball and we do not.  Not one fucking threat the opponent has to take seriously.  Even Dez with his drop off in productivity the last couple years (head case shit aside)...at least they had to respect his play making potential.  Houston played us man damn near every fucking snap and that was enough.  And that blueprint has been written, so it's just going to get worse.  Unless one of our receivers steps up (don't see it).  Should have snagged Josh Brown (also head case shit aside).  That was a free acquisition with almost no risk.  Garrett fucking sucks, but this shit's on the personnel department...aka Jerrah. 

13 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Play calling sucked, but if we had just one fucking weapon at receiver, we are a completely different team.  That was the difference last night.  Houston had play maker(s) they could throw to who could go up and get the ball and we do not.  Not one fucking threat the opponent has to take seriously.  Even Dez with his drop off in productivity the last couple years (head case shit aside)...at least they had to respect his play making potential.  Houston played us man damn near every fucking snap and that was enough.  And that blueprint has been written, so it's just going to get worse.  Unless one of our receivers steps up (don't see it).  Should have snagged Josh Brown (also head case shit aside).  That was a free acquisition with almost no risk.  Garrett fucking sucks, but this shit's on the personnel department...aka Jerrah. 

I haven't been in this thread much because fuck Jones and Garrett and our refusal to help our secondary and our refusal to surround Dak with weapons that sorely needs............... but I'm quoting this bc I've never in my years of watching the Cowboys seen a QB throw to so many covered receivers in my life. I had just finished hearing that all of Dak's interceptions this year were apparently off of the hands of his receivers, when he threw ANOTHER one to a Texan that was also batted (and may have hit the hands of his receiver). But even if it did, it hit hands because he's consistently thrown into coverage this year. I know the receivers are bad, and it's true that the reasoning is partially because they can't fucking separate, but his decision making is not helping them out. You can't throw to a covered receiver who is below league average as it is.

And wtf is up with these lines? Houston's O line has looked like dog shit all damn year, getting Deshaun beat up out there, and now they look like the Cowboys from 3 years ago giving him time to throw darts all across the damn field. Fucking ridiculous. I think I'm mentally done for this year too. I'll watch most of the games probably (ok maybe), but I'm done giving a shit.

Dak isn't great by any means but there's much more wrong with this than him. This great OL they built frankly fucking blows right now collectively. His WRs drop so many passes and don't help him out. He has absolutely no support system coaching wise. His fucking QB coach is a huge spare that was beat out by Dak and forced him to retire..

This season is done. The East is so bad though that record wise they still aren't out of it. But this team is doing nada this season. And with that 4th and 1 last night, Garrett is on his way to losing this locker room.

• Like 1

bullshit.  the team has plenty of talent.  a capable quarterback could complete balls to the receivers with any semblance of a run game.  dak is an overrated pile of piss-soaked hot garbage.  jerry’s greatest test as a GM will be whether or not he attaches the franchise to yet another decade of 7 and 9 bullshit by giving that clown a huge contract. 

we're not maximizing our talent.  we had one drive where we threw a few wrinkles into each play and we scored the only touchdown of the night.  then we didn't go back to anything like that the rest of the game.  the word i'd use to describe our team is uninspired and that emanates from garrett.

1 hour ago, futureman said:

bullshit.  the team has plenty of talent.  a capable quarterback could complete balls to the receivers with any semblance of a run game.  dak is an overrated pile of piss-soaked hot garbage.  jerry’s greatest test as a GM will be whether or not he attaches the franchise to yet another decade of 7 and 9 bullshit by giving that clown a huge contract. 

You smoke crack.  Everyone wants to make this into a chicken and egg argument, but Dak is better than our receivers.  They’ve missed more catchable balls this season than he’s missed throws.  We have zero weapons for him to throw to.  Headed into last night, our leading receiver was a 5’ 9” white guy.  Tell me one fucking team in the league that doesn’t have at least one receiver (tight ends included) who wouldn’t instantly be our number one if they were on our roster.  Dak may be average.  Hell, he may even be below average.  But our receivers are the worst in the NFL.

Holy fucking shit. Listening to The Fan and Mickey Spagnolia pops on. I forgot how much I hate this fucking idiot. He is agreeing with Garrett in punting. Fuck off you spineless company man. The first time you criticize anything Cowboys will be the first. He claims they were trying to extend the game and he would rather tie because we would be a half game better than today. And it was not even guaranteed we get points if we picked the 1st down up. Good grief. I had to change the station. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Garret is gone. 4th and 1 sealed his fate.

The Browns are better than the Cowboys in 2018. A good football team beats the Texans by 21. 

Oh well, Longhorns are good again, so will stop caring as much this year about the Cowboys dumbasses

This guy gets it!

• Like 1

I felt absolutely nothing last night when the Cowboys lost. Been watching them since elementary school, and for the first time I just don’t give a damn anymore.

It’s a completely hopeless feeling knowing Jerry will never fire Garrett no matter how bad he does, there will always be an excuse for him. They have actually been upgrading talent through the draft for the first time in ages but with a horrible HC, OC, no WR’s, an average or worse QB and an underachieving OL this team will never go anywhere.

the book is out on Dak and the blueprint is out on how to defend the cowboys offense and yet no changes are made, pathetic and I don’t care anymore

• Like 2

This OL is now a huge liability. Which is a huge problem seeing how much we invested. I never thought it was a good idea to go that heavy into one position. Football has moved on from the old days philosophy of run the ball and out physical the other team. It's speed and finesse now. You don't need a great Wall OL to win in today's game. Or a bell cow RB. It can work but you need so much to go right for it to happen.

you guys really want to get fired up?  Bob Sturm tweeted this out. Go look at the field goal kicked in the last preseason game (in Houston) by Maher to win the job over Danny Bailey.  It was a 57 yarder.  Now go look at what yardline we had 4th and 1 from in OT last night.  Not only was the decision not to go with it just abortionary, the decision not to try a fg was retarded too.  Fire him now.  

39 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Holy fucking shit. Listening to The Fan and Mickey Spagnolia pops on. I forgot how much I hate this fucking idiot. He is agreeing with Garrett in punting. Fuck off you spineless company man. The first time you criticize anything Cowboys will be the first. He claims they were trying to extend the game and he would rather tie because we would be a half game better than today. And it was not even guaranteed we get points if we picked the 1st down up. Good grief. I had to change the station. 

Spagnola is a beating 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

I felt absolutely nothing last night when the Cowboys lost. Been watching them since elementary school, and for the first time I just don’t give a damn anymore.

It’s a completely hopeless feeling knowing Jerry will never fire Garrett no matter how bad he does, there will always be an excuse for him. They have actually been upgrading talent through the draft for the first time in ages but with a horrible HC, OC, no WR’s, an average or worse QB and an underachieving OL this team will never go anywhere.

the book is out on Dak and the blueprint is out on how to defend the cowboys offense and yet no changes are made, pathetic and I don’t care anymore

This is how i feel as well. I just dont give a damn and will not waste my sundays in front of the tv watching this crap.

inaccurate QB, worst WR group in the NFL, worst TE group in the NFL ....NFL is passing and scoring league now .....so that's going to work out well

plus you have a bottom 3 head coach and coordinators that are running schemes from the stone age 

not to mention the franchise is owned and operated by a family of Arkansas hillbillies

I expect next year they'll draft 6 WRs and 2 TEs ...and by the time those skill players develop ....Tyron will be gone/retired, so new left tackle needed ...   Dak will be the back up QB in Tampa Bay or somewhere so new QB needed .... ... the shit  storm continues ad infinitum 

34 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

you guys really want to get fired up?  Bob Sturm tweeted this out. Go look at the field goal kicked in the last preseason game (in Houston) by Maher to win the job over Danny Bailey.  It was a 57 yarder.  Now go look at what yardline we had 4th and 1 from in OT last night.  Not only was the decision not to go with it just abortionary, the decision not to try a fg was retarded too.  Fire him now.  

This is what I was thinking.  When he hit the 48 yarder earlier in the game I thought, "That was good from ten more yards."

And we punt? 

But like many others...no feeling at all when we lost.  Expected it.  Used to it.  Same old Cowboys.  

2 hours ago, futureman said:

Our receiving corps is, at very best, deeply mediocre. The OL also isn't close to what it was in 2016. And Dak is never going to be Drew Brees or Aaron Rogers--he can't carry a team on his own.

It all adds up to a big mess.

This team is going to be mired in 5-11 Campo Land until Jerry sucks it up and brings in a Parcells type and relinquishes control, and lets that guy control free agency and draft moves. It is probably going to be there regardless the next three seasons. The OL, with a healthy Frederick, doesn’t have enough good years left in it. 

Dak isn’t more than a placeholder for this year and next. He may be playing with a terrible WR corps but he is in the bottom quartile of QBs and may be the worst starter in the league. They should a) fire Garrett. b) tank this season. c) bring in a strong GM/coach. d) draft a QB in the first round in 2019. e) draft a WR in the 2nd. f) draft a TE in the 3rd. And g) add significant WR and DB upgrades (two apiece) and one TE via free agency as soon as possible. 

16 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Brad sham agreed too

As did Norm Hitzges -- I'm sensing a trend here.

Ten OT minutes goes by really, really fast. Anyway, I see the logic coming from those guys. It's 4th-and-1 on the other team's 42. A FG doesn't win the game at that point. Your defense has been playing pretty well for the most part and you have no idea what Deshaun's condition is going to be. In retrospect, I'd have gone for it and tried to get a damn GW TD there but I can see the logic Garrett used. It is playing not to lose logic but logic nonetheless. #takethelosspussy