Dallas Cowboys 2018 Regular Season Thread

Vic Mackey

4 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Jerry Jones’ cultural stench would ruin even Pop.

Nothing will ever change with him in charge. A fish rots from the head down. Might as well get used to it.

It's becoming fainter with each year, the success Dallas had in the mid 1990's... (I hope that is rectified someday)

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Babe is right on target here. We have no real playmakers in the secondary. I know they are young and still can improve but this goes back way before these guys. Is it the scheme? Playing not to give up the big play? Even though they did give up big plays yesterday.

9 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Babe is right on target here. We have no real playmakers in the secondary. I know they are young and still can improve but this goes back way before these guys. Is it the scheme? Playing not to give up the big play? Even though they did give up big plays yesterday.

I'm pretty confident the defense is the least of our problems right now.

20 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Pop would run a significantly better show than Ginger.  He also wouldn't have let Gregory back in the game after that stupid penalty. 

He wouldn't have let Gregory be a draft pick at all...... 

People need to stop going to Cowboy games.... it's the only way Jerrah will even take notice.

7 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Cowboy's not being able to force turnovers has been a problem for some time.  It goes deeper than just Marinelli.  It's basically been a problem the entire Garrett era and probably the tail end of the Wade teams.

They just don't prioritize having safeties that can go after the ball, or tackles that can mash the pocked from the inside. It's kinda weird. They love the discount scrap-heap guys.

11 hours ago, TheFlagship said:

I don’t mean to be so negative on here, but the playcalling is so terrible. Exhibit A:

I dont mind the outside receivers running verts against the press and a single high saftey.  Bottom receiver is open.  Dak is not good at throwing guys open and these receivers don't get the seperation.  

11 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

I dont mind the outside receivers running verts against the press and a single high saftey.  Bottom receiver is open.  Dak is not good at throwing guys open and these receivers don't get the seperation.  

That said, I want Linehan and Garrett gone.  The problem is (as stated here many times) their inability to adjust.  Dak can't run this offense?  Adapt one that works for him.  Remember when Cam couldnt run an offense?  His OC simplified it, so he only had to read half the field.  Cam is the closest comp to Dak.  Why are we not trying to emulate what Cam does?  This includes more designed runs.  

14 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

...5d249930f534515004800b8061a45055.jpg

JG gives me a headache.  My kid had some middle school football clinic @ the Star in Frisco.  JG was there along with a few other speakers.  That same monotone, deadpan speech about concussions and the love of the game.  Insomniacs should play his press conference speeches to help them sleep.  Guy's just awful.

Bring in Lincoln Riley.  Both because I think he's a great offensive mind; and it would cause the Sooners to stroke out...

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

The bottom receiver is covered pretty well. It would have taken a hell of a throw and cactch to complete that. Dak is not a good deep ball thrower which we’ve seen time and time again. 

I agree with your second point though. The talent on the offense is limited. That doesn’t mean you can’t have success though, but you need the gameplan and execution to be perfect. Obviously, our gameplan has been terrible.

6 hours ago, kevwun said:

They got rid of Dez and Witten retired.  I understand cutting Dez, but you can't lose of your 2 best receivers without finding capable replacements and expect your passing game to function.

We were told that Witten old and slow and a well below average TE. And that with Dez gone, Dak would be more willing to spread the ball around.

That said. I blame all of this on the worst coach in the NFL......That keeps getting a free pass.

1 minute ago, Jameslaw121 said:

We were told that Witten old and slow and a well below average TE. And that with Dez gone, Dak would be more willing to spread the ball around.

That said. I blame all of this on the worst coach in the NFL......That keeps getting a free pass.

The worst coach in the NFL is in Cleveland. Garrett is bottom-5, though.

Edited by Machinator

8 hours ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Verts? All the receivers are running come back routes. It would've been great if the bottom receiver was running a true vertical,  but he wasn't.  We're out here running a high school offense. Check that, high schools today have more creativity than we've exhibited.  We're running an 80s era middle school offense.  Bootlegs and waggles are about as creative as we get.

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

2 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Verts? All the receivers are running come back routes. It would've been great if the bottom receiver was running a true vertical,  but he wasn't.  We're out here running a high school offense. 

I said verts because that's what the twitter guy said.  Yeah it was a play that didnt work, but hes offbase. 

We had people here who predicted Byron Jones' best position was as a CB so it's nice to see that prediction come true. Too bad we wasted 2 of his first 3 years playing safety full-time, although the good thing about him playing safety is that we picked up his 5th year option as a Safety rather than the more expensive CB designation. I think there's about a $3M difference in salary for 2019. 

9 hours ago, kevwun said:

They got rid of Dez and Witten retired.  I understand cutting Dez, but you can't lose of your 2 best receivers without finding capable replacements and expect your passing game to function.

As others have mentioned, we were told, notably by some loud folks here, that we didn't need those guys.  We didn't need replacements.... after all, like in 2016 when Cole Beasley was our leading receiver, we'd be fine.  It would be better!!!  So easy to play offense with JAG talent at receiver or TE.

Dak is a decidedly mediocre QB, but we have enough components on the team (top tier RB and Oline, speedster gadget guy, great slot WR, mobile and rugged QB, and a bunch of decently fast WRs) for a more creative mind to take advantage of and not be damn near last in offensive effectiveness in the entire fucking league. Our components are not 31st in the league bad. Even the Jaguards and pre-Mcaffrey Panthers weren't this bad. The number one issue is for this team is the offensive staff and the total lack creativity or fresh ideas. Do you really think Andy Reid, Doug Pederson, or even the 2012 49ers offensive staff would come be this fucking inept? Sean McVay is exactly what we thought we were getting with our Princeton degree holder. Yet I've never seen an ounce of creativity or anything that has made me say, wow, or even raise an eyebrow in his decade plus directing our offense. The fact that his milquetoast ass has been here this long is emblematic of what a shitty organization we have the pleasure of being fans of. This dude is well on his way to building himself a nice Marvin Lewis/Jeff Fisheresque career without even a Conference championship appearance or historically garbage organization to boost his perception. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn