Dallas Cowboys 2018 Regular Season Thread

Vic Mackey

Looking at the snap counts at Pro Football Ref it's a bit interesting to see that after Dak and the O-line playing 100% and then Zeke 92%, Swaim was in on 90% of the Cowboys offensive snaps. Next highest number was in the 60s percentage. Jarwin lined up a little over a third of the time. Swaim also played in 50% of special teams snaps, Jarwin four more plays for 68%.

Gallup ranked 4th among the receivers at 45% of offensive snaps after Beasley, Hurns and Thompson. Surprisingly, Terrance Williams played less than 30% of offensive snaps.

Edited by DougO
  • Like 1

Now reading that the Browns suspected Gordon showed up high to the facility today. Coupled with a hamstring injury in a non football event might have been enough for them to move on.

But I think he will be traded. Teams are already calling them. Wonder what it would take to get him? Can't see it being much.

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I mean who needs a 1600 yard guy..... we got Brice Butler back!!!!  Wonder who's getting the axe?

To be fair, his 1600 yard season was 5 years ago. Which is ancient history in the NFL. Plus, do we really need another guy in here you can't count on? We have plenty of those.

When healthy and not suspended, he's one of the best talents at WR in this league. Thing is, he's never on the field and you cant count on him. I can't really fault them for this after dealing with Gregory and Irving.

39 minutes ago, DougO said:

That makes Gordon infinitely more relevant than assmunch hack Dumb-Jock Taylor over the same period.

I mean but he's right. People have this image of Gordon from years ago. But you can't depend on him at all anymore. I don't think we want to bring in another one of those guys.

45 minutes ago, DougO said:

Winning is better than losing.

Hard to say what this indicates against the 'Ginas, who seem shitty, but played tough against a good Jax team last week. Probably something like "it's an 8-8 league."

I will allow it.

Their defense is solid but yea, that offense is a hot mess right now.  A confused OL who should be better based on personnel.  An old QB who is a bit sketchy in the pocket when it comes to the rush now.  Eli actually had a 98.6 QB rating but he was a checkdown Charlie all night.  They have excellent weapons, shit way better weapons than we have but their line and QB make it tough to be consistent.  I'm really happy for the win but not sure this was some sort of statement game.  We get the seachickens next week.  They have similar issues on the OL, maybe worse, and their secondary actually is rather porous but @ the Pac NW has always been a tough place to travel too.....

33 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

How often is this guy right? I know he puts a lot out on twitter so it's hard to keep count, but my sense is he misses wayyy more than he hits. Especially for a guy who's supposed to have a working relationship with the team 

It's not just him.... multiple beat writers have been told the same thing.  We have no interest in Gordon.  And I get it, we have enough idiots on this team.... but signing Brice Butler is hilarious.  I mean, who fucking cares, guy is a JAG who's already been cut from his UFA deal.

10 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Hurns had the 2nd most snaps among our WRs in week 1. 2c6b27b51af35d77564bf47dd1440f9a.jpg

Yeah, but he's just a rotation guy. Gallup's snaps went up, Hurns snaps went down, the three guys past Beasley are playing about the same amount of time. Not a good trend for a free agent signing that was tabbed their number one guy. The salary hit makes him tough to cut, though, much like Williams. It's not a great situation when the two guys the team is paying decent guaranteed money are getting put on the back burner and barely producing anything. They don't even get special teams play out of them. They would probably jump at a trade offer.

Edited by DougO

I'm hearing on The Fan that TWill is having his situation reviewed by the league from that incident in Frisco a few months ago. He could still face a suspension. If he does, I think Dallas could have a way out and release him without being on the hook for his guarantee money. That's how Brice Butler could replace. And I would not hate that. Twill is non existent and was hardly on the field.

12 hours ago, DougO said:

Gotta wonder if the Cowboys are about to dump TW or maybe even Hurns, who have barely seen the field. Thompson seems like their most consistent receiver at this point, and they cut him just two weeks ago.

David Moore said this very thing on the Musers this morning. He thinks Terrence might be about to get cut.

Edited by C-Man
Oops, this is what I get for not reading all the way to the end. Moore said on Musers he thought Williams could be cut.

13 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

It's not just him.... multiple beat writers have been told the same thing.  We have no interest in Gordon.  And I get it, we have enough idiots on this team.... but signing Brice Butler is hilarious.  I mean, who fucking cares, guy is a JAG who's already been cut from his UFA deal.

Gordon is Manziel.  With Gregory, Irving, Gathers, and Twill, how many head cases can you have?  Yes, I realize this is the Cowboys, but it's obvious they're saying no mas.

And obviously Twill will get dropped when the NFL comes calling with his suspension.

The receivers are an issue, but the OL is the bigger concern.

16 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Gordon is Manziel.  With Gregory, Irving, Gathers, and Twill, how many head cases can you have?  Yes, I realize this is the Cowboys, but it's obvious they're saying no mas.

And obviously Twill will get dropped when the NFL comes calling with his suspension.

The receivers are an issue, but the OL is the bigger concern.

Depth on the OL is an issue..... but our WR corp as a grouping are probably bottom 5 in the league.  When you throw TEs in there for receiving, probably bottom 3.  We're still 28th in the league in passing (Seattle and Chicago will most likely pass us after tonight, so really 30th) yards.  Have 1 passing TD.  27th in Y/A and NY/A.  28th in EXP (expected points contributed) in passing.  

Dak played much better than week 1 and I think ran the ball very well and managed the game well but our passing offense still is in the toilet.  Last night, the last 21 passes for Dak averaged 2.9 YPA.  That's fucking terrible.  We didn't need to air it out last night and it's very, very early, but our offense is still poor by the eye test and advanced metrics.  Brice Butler is not going to save us....

We still have a long way to go in the passing game..... Hopefully we can get there.

Yep.... 

Edited by Patrick Bateman

How the hell could anyone who is an actual fan of this team want them to bring in Gordon? A team who drafted him and has stuck by him for years of trouble,  a team that has won 1 game in the last 34, said goodbye to him. If he comes here most likely he just gets Gregory toking it up all the time again. 

That one red zone play that should have been a TD showed what we Rico fans have been saying all along. Lined him up on the line outside of RT and got a DE running with him up the field. Easily shook that DE and was wide open for a TD if Dak just puts the ball anywhere near the guy. That's the match-up exploitation that he brings. 

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
4 hours ago, Mo Horn said:
Knowing the Pats, an out of date can of Spam. They get everybody for nothing. 

5th rd pick. And if he's not active for 10 games, they get to wash their hands and get the pick back.

I think they get to keep Gordon and get a later round pick (6 or 7) back if he’s not active 10 games (that is if his contract runs more than this year, which I can’t remember)