Why did we bury Jerrod Heard alive?

MichaelUngar#1fan

44 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

A competent coaching staff could win a conference title with Heard. He’s not an NFL QB but college teams win with less talent at the position every year.

This staff would ask him to drop back and throw 20 yards downfield into double coverage and then bench him when it doesn’t work out.

Heard could at least be what Greg Ward was to the Houston offense here. There's no doubt in my mind he'd be running this offense a lot better than Sam. 

• Like 3

lets be honest as long as we have a coaching staff that cannot plan a good offense, cannot teach a good offense, cannot call a good offense in the game and that has no ability to recognize that, adjust that or correct it we will never know how good or bad any of these players are

Texas has a LONG history of offensive players that look like shit and then go to the pros and actually have success and some even turn into great pro players

while we all have no clue how Chris Warren will play out in the NFL he (as of now) looks like yet another player that had potential and because he was not a coaches darling and the coaches could not figure out a way to connect with him and use him effectively he was wasted and discarded and the results of that will possibly be that he has a lot less wear and tear on him and a lot more attitude to make us all watch him have a long pro career where we get to say "what if"

that type of shit went on with offensive players long before Tom got here, but right now Tom looks to be doubling down on it

lets be honest as long as we have a coaching staff that cannot plan a good offense, cannot teach a good offense, cannot call a good offense in the game and that has no ability to recognize that, adjust that or correct it we will never know how good or bad any of these players are
Texas has a LONG history of offensive players that look like shit and then go to the pros and actually have success and some even turn into great pro players
while we all have no clue how Chris Warren will play out in the NFL he (as of now) looks like yet another player that had potential and because he was not a coaches darling and the coaches could not figure out a way to connect with him and use him effectively he was wasted and discarded and the results of that will possibly be that he has a lot less wear and tear on him and a lot more attitude to make us all watch him have a long pro career where we get to say "what if"
that type of shit went on with offensive players long before Tom got here, but right now Tom looks to be doubling down on it
Preach0aa9a92116477b492469c971ee24e6f4.jpg

When the horse is flat and dried up, it's time to stop beating.

I'll make it really simple for you..
1. Heard is a senior, 1 game into his last season and 3rd as a Reciever.
2. We are one game into the season and have 4 scholarship QB's on the roster.
3. Refer to either #1 or #2, it don't make a shit.
4. See above

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NowThis said:

he's not a terrible passer and is an upgrade from Sam. A WR knows the passing schemes, and as a SR he'll do better than anyone on the team. 

2 things:

1. Saying Heard is a better passer than any of UT’s QBsoutside of maybe Thompson is ridiculous. Take out his one game miracle vs Cal and tell me what the rest of his career passing numbers look like. Instead of clips of him lobbing passes go list some clips of him trying to throw a WR screen, a mesh route or something in a soft spot in a zone. 

2. Let say that Heard magically turned into a good passer,knows all the pass plays, routes, route adjustments and hots for each pass play. That doesn’t mean that he’s adept at the other half of the game where he has to check in and out of plays based on defensive alignment nor does it mean that he can read a defense. If you’ve ever had a look at a collegiate playbook you’d know how preposterous what your proposing is. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

1 hour ago, ButtFumble said:

can you give us this LONG list of shitty offensive players that turned into great pro players?

1 hour ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

2 things:

1. Saying Heard is a better passer than any of UT’s QBsoutside of maybe Thompson is ridiculous. Take out his one game miracle vs Cal and tell me what the rest of his career passing numbers look like. Instead of clips of him lobbing passes go list some clips of him trying to throw a WR screen, a mesh route or something in a soft spot in a zone. 

2. Let say that Heard magically turned into a good passer,knows all the pass plays, routes, route adjustments and hots for each pass play. That doesn’t mean that he’s adept at the other half of the game where he has to check in and out of plays based on defensive alignment nor does it mean that he can read a defense. If you’ve ever had a look at a collegiate playbook you’d know how preposterous what your proposing is. 

despite all that, he's STILL better than Sam/Shane . Don't forget he's a SR now and knows the system. Give him some respect.  Also look at the video, he's got some high quality throws there, more impressive than Shane or Sam. Remember we all know Sam is a box or rocks and Shane isn't much better. It's kind of insulting to RH to say he's below them mentally. 

Except that we know his highscool staff had to limit his playbook, and Strong and company had to do the same. That’s not a comment on intellect. It’s a comment on his football smarts. 

You’re literally the only person on then board who thinks he was a better passer than what we have now. And what’s we have now isn’t great. Drop all the highlightts of Rice, Cal absolutely KU and show all the pass plays against TCU, OU or ISU. He suddenly doesn’t look like a good passer. Which he isn’t.  

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

Hell I'd take Derp face McCoy over Sam or frail Shane. Sam is making the same mistakes he made as a freshman, he hasn't learned anything. Buchele is fragile and can't survive behind a porous OL. The arrogant prick of a coach we're stuck with seems to think every thing is fine and dandy, it's going to be a long season. I'd say bring on Bball season, but Shaka is another overrated flame out of a hire.

2 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Except that we know his highscool staff had to limit his playbook, and Strong and company had to do the same. That’s not a comment on intellect. It’s a comment on his football smarts. 

You’re literally the only person on then board who thinks he was a better passer than what we have now. And what’s we have now isn’t great. Drop all the highlightts of Rice, Cal absolutely KU and show all the pass plays against TCU, OU or ISU. He suddenly doesn’t look like a good passer. Which he isn’t.  

that was a long time ago, he's a SR now which makes a big difference. Besides you think Sam/Shane are worth anything? no. They are garbage. 

7 hours ago, NowThis said:

watch this, tell me if you like it . Keep in mind he's a seasoned smarter Senior now. Most highlights are runs but there are some good passes here. He's a better runner than Sam and won't make the bonehead mistakes. 

Weak arm. Sam would’ve thrown each of those passes 5-6 feet over the receivers’ heads. 

Heard isn't a world beater as a thrower. He's not god awful either. Sam is.

It's what he can do running the ball, of fucking course.

And no, don't come at me with the bullshit comparison of like Taylor Martinez or whoever from Nebraska. Jerrod Heard looked SPECIAL running the ball. And let's not forget that VY had NO passing TDs in the MNC

AND DON'T GIVE ME "BUT THEN THEY WATCHED TAPE AND STOPPED HIM"

OUR FUCKING COACHES WERE A JOKE. HE WAS YANKED FOR SWOOPES EVERY OTHER PLAY WHEN HE DID START. HIS TEAMMATES WERE MOSTLY USELESS. HORRID O LINE. JOKE DEFENSE. NO WRS. HAD TO TURN DAJE INTO A WR -- WHO WAS EASILY MOST EFFECTIVE AS WR WHEN HEARD WAS AT QB (watch the fucking highlights)

But I will say, WTF HEARD why didn't you say seeya losers and transfer?

No, I'm not an aggy troll. we have just been losers. this is fact.

Edited by MichaelUngar#1fan

On 9/2/2018 at 8:50 PM, Jkwellborn said:

Had Heard stayed at qb the whole time, or even all season last year, by all means, give him a shot. He’s a better runner than Shane or Sam and can’t be any worse throwing than Sam. That being said, he needs to stay at wr at this point. True enough, he got screwed in his time at Texas.

Yeah, If he had stayed in the system as a qb, it would make sense to come in, even in a wildcat formation the includes Ehlinger, just to confuse the opponent...

On 9/2/2018 at 3:57 PM, Brothahorn said:

In some places he was #1, ahead of guys like DeShawn Watson.

Who knows what could have happened if the young man actually had a coach with an IQ.

Heard should sue Strong, Watson, Herman, Beck for malpractice and mental anguish.

Yeah I agree. How many OC's has the kid had? Phenomenal runner. Better than anyone we've had under center since. And yeah, he had flaws in the passing game, but nowhere near as bad as some like to make it seem. With proper coaching, I have zero doubt he'd easily be our best QB right now. I really believe he could have been very effective & I wish he'd had that shot. 

But then again I'm not sure how effective Joe Montana could be in the abortion we call an 'offense' right now.

You’re not gonna catch me defending Sam at QB, but converting a WR back to QB who s also a terrible passer and has spent zero time in the QB room learning the offense is the definition of asinine. Better to hand the keys to Rising if that’s your contention. 
Greg Ward.

And Heard was in the QB room last year. He was QB3 and a WR... so, he probably knows where the WRs will be.

Whatever. I was pissed about this last year. I've given up on it.

In comparison to Tyrone Swoops, Jerrod Heard looked lightning quick and deliberate but I’m not sure he was ever the best long term answer or that he would be better than Ehlinger or Buchelle right now if he had remained a QB.

But generally speaking, I do think some Texas QBs moved to the WR room too soon.  Imagine if John Childs (okay, Chiles) had backed up McCoy in 2009 and Gilbert had redshirted. Our last 10 years might’ve turned out completely different.

So for young QBs buried on the depth chart, I recommend playing MLB or transferring elsewhere but never move to WR.  They screw you at WR.

Edited by Hooky Hornstein
  • Like 1

There are good reasons for Heard to have moved to WR.
There are no good reasons why we never made any sort of Wildcat package for him to use his running skills with a legit threat to pass.  
Especially when you consider Ehlinger is better at blocking on the outside than any of our receivers. Sad but true.

On 9/2/2018 at 4:57 PM, Brothahorn said:

In some places he was #1, ahead of guys like DeShawn Watson.

Who knows what could have happened if the young man actually had a coach with an IQ.

Heard should sue Strong, Watson, Herman, Beck for malpractice and mental anguish.

If he went to bama he’d have won the Heisman 

• Like 2

On 9/2/2018 at 4:56 PM, NowThis said:

watch this, tell me if you like it . Keep in mind he's a seasoned smarter Senior now. Most highlights are runs but there are some good passes here. He's a better runner than Sam and won't make the bonehead mistakes. 

Don’t forget, more than half of the plays were called back by BIG XII refs who saw invisible holding, invisible blocks in the back, invisible false starts, invisible delay of game, and lets not forget intentional walking into the coach and calling a personal foul on him for touching a ref.....

• Like 2

If Texas is losing to USC at halftime, throw Heard in there.  A run-first option offense with Heard at QB has got to be better than Watson 2.0 (The Beckening). 

Salvage the parts of the offense that Heard knows and fit his skill set.  Soften up that defense with Heard and RBs, and eventually the defense will open up enough for Heard to complete a pass or two.  Also Heard behind the 2018 line is a better situation than he had in 2015.

"Heard should starts" is as regarded as any thread I have seen going back through Shaggy to Hornfans. It won't happen, and it shouldn't happen, and those of you who hope it will happen will have to just like it that it won't. 

Should we give Buechele another shot? Sure, why not? Rising? Not in favor of tossing another frosh in there, but whatever. A guy who already failed once and who asked to be moved to WR and has shown some ability there, ability the other QBs would miss? Nope. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

"Heard should starts" is as regarded as any thread I have seen going back through Shaggy to Hornfans. It won't happen, and it shouldn't happen, and those of you who hope it will happen will have to just like it that it won't. 
Should we give Buechele another shot? Sure, why not? Rising? Not in favor of tossing another frosh in there, but whatever. A guy who already failed once and who asked to be moved to WR and has shown some ability there, ability the other QBs would miss? Nope. 
I was one of the first to point out Heard was easily shut down n if you run him left... but I would like to have seen him compete at QB in this system vs Sam and Shane. Shane was the right choice in the V&S. Shane is of less value in the Smashmouth Spread, where running the QB is part of the plan.

If Texas is losing to USC at halftime, throw Heard in there.  A run-first option offense with Heard at QB has got to be better than Watson 2.0 (The Beckening). 
Salvage the parts of the offense that Heard knows and fit his skill set.  Soften up that defense with Heard and RBs, and eventually the defense will open up enough for Heard to complete a pass or two.  Also Heard behind the 2018 line is a better situation than he had in 2015.

Brilliant. Play a position he hasn't practiced in a year or a year plus (not sure).

Put Hager in at RB to mix things up.

Ben Ficus should coach.

On 9/2/2018 at 4:43 PM, MichaelUngar#1fan said:

Seriously THIS.

Try having a good game when you are getting yanked every other fucking play for a bulldozer. Some of you are seriously brain dead.

On 9/2/2018 at 4:42 PM, NowThis said:

swoopes played the bulk of that 2015 game. Heard was the #2 Dual QB in the country right? 

Wrong. Once again, watch the game or at least some highlights.

Swoopes only came in on the 18-wheeler package for 3rd and short, plus one single drive at the fag end of the 4th quarter. Heard played the vast majority of the game and looked terrible doing so.

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Wrong. Once again, watch the game or at least some highlights.

Swoopes only came in on the 18-wheeler package for 3rd and short, plus one single drive at the fag end of the 4th quarter. Heard played the vast majority of the game and looked terrible doing so.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=400763446

Swoopes threw it 13 times, Heard 9.  Swoopes ran it 10 times, Heard 9.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NowThis said:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=400763446

Swoopes threw it 13 times, Heard 9.  Swoopes ran it 10 times, Heard 9.  

Yes, because Swoopes was the only QB who actually put together sustained drives! Texas had just TWO drives the entire night that went 10 or more plays, and both were led by Swoopes. The first one Heard immediately ended with a pick, and the second one ended when Marcus Johnson dropped Swoopes' pass in the endzone on the final play.

- Drive #1: 3 plays, Heard. Ends in punt.

- Drive #2: 7 plays, Heard. Ends in punt. 

- Drive #3: 3 plays, Heard. Ends in punt.

- Drive #4: 11 plays, Swoopes. Ends when Heard comes in and throws an INT on his 2nd snap of the drive.

- Drive #5: 3 plays, Heard. Ends in punt.

- Drive #6: 3 plays, Heard. Ends in punt.

- Drive #7: 4 plays, Heard. Ends in punt.

- Drive #8: 3 plays, Heard. Ends in punt.

- Drive #9: 3 plays, Swoopes. Ends in punt.

- Drive #10: 10 plays, Swoopes. Ends with Johnson's dropped pass in the endzone as time expires.

Heard led 7 drives and did bupkes, and he also ruined one of Swoopes'. For the last time, just watch the game.

Edited by satyanash

Heard was beyond terrible in the Iowa State game.  He took 2 sacks in the first half, threw an INT, and couldn't convert a third down.  He had one play beyond 8 yards was the last play of the 2nd half when the Clones were in full prevent.  Swoopes was terrible too but Heard made him look like Steve Young out there.  One of the more incompetent performances by a QB (and offenses) here in the last half dozen years and as everyone knows, that's saying something....

9 throws for 26 yards or less than 3 Y/A.  INT.  3 sacks taken.  smh.  It was insane how bad that game was.  Iowa State had figured out he didn't understand how to read zone coverages.  They beat us with a QB who ended up his career playing LB.....

• Hook 'Em 1