National Lampoon’s Vacation

Sbbruin

Cousin Eddie: I got laid off when they closed that asbestos factory, and wouldn't you know it, the army cuts my disability pension because they said that the plate in my head wasn't big enough.
Aunt Edna: Why don't you just ask him for the money, Eddie? He sure as hell can't take a hint.
Cousin Eddie: Well, I didn't want to ask you, Clark, you know, but could you maybe spare a little extra cash?
Clark: Sure, Eddie, how much do you need?
Cousin Eddie: About fifty-two thousand dollars.

Campground desk clerk Brian Doyle-Murray, blowing watermelon seeds into his hand, asking for the Griswolds' address: "We like to send out a mailer."  The original story, as it appeared in National Lampoon, is well worth the read.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/read-john-hughes-original-national-811591

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, UTGrad98 said:
Cousin Eddie: I got laid off when they closed that asbestos factory, and wouldn't you know it, the army cuts my disability pension because they said that the plate in my head wasn't big enough.
Aunt Edna: Why don't you just ask him for the money, Eddie? He sure as hell can't take a hint.
Cousin Eddie: Well, I didn't want to ask you, Clark, you know, but could you maybe spare a little extra cash?
Clark: Sure, Eddie, how much do you need?
Cousin Eddie: About fifty-two thousand dollars.

The seamless manner in which Clark puts the money back into his wallet is priceless.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2018 at 10:19 PM, Radical Larry said:

Excuse me, could you please tell me how to get back on the expressway? 

Go fuck yo mama.

Thank you very much. 

The edited version of this exchange is actually pretty funny too:

Excuse me, could you please tell me how to get back on the expressway?

Who do I look like, Christopher Columbo?

My favorite scene is when he steals the money from the hotel.  Cash register opens up, nothing, then just a mad scramble to grab all the cash.  Then grabs the cowboy hat, bank robber look each way, then runs off.   Then the topper, "Clark, don't you wanna look at the Grand Canyon".  Coupla quick head bobs, "great, let's go".  No funny lines, just slapstick.  

On 10/8/2018 at 5:17 PM, UTCzech III said:

My favorite scene is when he steals the money from the hotel.  Cash register opens up, nothing, then just a mad scramble to grab all the cash.  Then grabs the cowboy hat, bank robber look each way, then runs off.   Then the topper, "Clark, don't you wanna look at the Grand Canyon".  Coupla quick head bobs, "great, let's go".  No funny lines, just slapstick.  

the head bobs are amazing.  I do this a lot when we're somewhere on vacation - drives the wife crazy...which is the goal.

Edited by MAROON
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 10/8/2018 at 8:15 PM, chikin23 said:

Clark: Do you see that, kids? That's the St. Louis Arch. The Gateway to the West. It's over 600 feet tall, and there's an elevator all the way to the top.

Rusty: Dad, can we go up on it?

Clark: No.

We were on a strict budget, both money and time wise so it didn't fit.

• 2 years later...

Watched it right before we took the whole tribe 'cross country earlier this summer.  It's even funnier now that I have done the family road trip.

". . . lost a very dear member of the the family along the way."

Also, have watched the reboot twice now.  Fully expected to hate it.  And while the original is a game changing classic and its sequels are extremely funny too, the reboot is definitely worth watching if you can catch it on the streaming services.  Funny as hell and self-references that it will be different than "the original Vacation."

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

Watched it right before we took the whole tribe 'cross country earlier this summer.  It's even funnier now that I have done the family road trip.

". . . lost a very dear member of the the family along the way."

Also, have watched the reboot twice now.  Fully expected to hate it.  And while the original is a game changing classic and its sequels are extremely funny too, the reboot is definitely worth watching if you can catch it on the streaming services.  Funny as hell and self-references that it will be different than "the original Vacation."

I liked the reboot a lot as well.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 year later...
On 10/6/2018 at 2:29 AM, Bama Llama said:

Campground desk clerk Brian Doyle-Murray, blowing watermelon seeds into his hand, asking for the Griswolds' address: "We like to send out a mailer."  The original story, as it appeared in National Lampoon, is well worth the read.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/read-john-hughes-original-national-811591

Never saw that before. Reads like the "travelogue' of the guy who attended the Big 12 Championship Game in San Antonio and a UT basketball game in Austin all in one glorious day.