San Fran for a long weekend with my kiddo

Sleepygrad

I know GB has his SF thread, but this is slightly different. I'm taking my daughter to San Francisco for a long weekend in October for her 9th bday. I've been there a few times, but it's been a while. We're staying in the russian hill area near north beach and the wharf. We'll be there Friday to Monday and I'm looking for some "must do's" with a 9yr old. Some things I'm thinking for sure is the typical tourist shit: 

- Wharf/Ghirardelli square area, see the seals, oysters, etc

- Trolly, lombard street

- golden gate park - not sure about what all is inside the park, but we'll see

- union square/downtown 

- china town - can spend a day walking around here, eating dumplings or dim sum

- coit tower

- maybe catch a giants game or a show??

She's never been to california and she loves seafood, sushi, oysters, pizza, etc. So 5 star restaurants and champagne is out, but great pizza and chinese food (house of nanking maybe) is in. Any suggestions of activities or restaurants would be great. 

Went there this past summer with my 10 and 8 year old. Oldest wants to move there when she gets older. In Golden Gate park, you can take her to the Japanese Tea Garden and the Conservatory of Flowers. There's a cool kids park at the east end of the park near Haight Ashbury. Walk down from Ghirardelli Sq to the Golden Gate Bridge and have a drink at the Warming Hut. If you have a car, go north of the bridge to the Battery Spencer for the best view of the city. I always recommend a trip to Muir Woods. Alcatraz? In Fisherman's Wharf, take her to Musee Mecanique where you can play old coin operated games from the early 1900s.

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Went there this past summer with my 10 and 8 year old. Oldest wants to move there when she gets older. In Golden Gate park, you can take her to the Japanese Tea Garden and the Conservatory of Flowers. There's a cool kids park at the east end of the park near Haight Ashbury. Walk down from Ghirardelli Sq to the Golden Gate Bridge and have a drink at the Warming Hut. If you have a car, go north of the bridge to the Battery Spencer for the best view of the city. I always recommend a trip to Muir Woods. Alcatraz? In Fisherman's Wharf, take her to Musee Mecanique where you can play old coin operated games from the early 1900s.

This is great, thanks MD. She'll love the gardens in GG park. I'm not gonna get a car, but we could rent one for a day or uber north of the city. We may rent bikes to ride across the bridge. 

We rented a car on the last day before we headed down to Monterrey. There are a lot of rental agencies in the city or maybe see about a Zipcar. You'll need to do this to get to Battery Spencer. It's got a small parking lot off Conzelman Rd. I don't know if Uber would be easy to use to get back and forth to there. For Muir Woods, you can probably find a shuttle that goes back and forth. If you plan to drive there, check their site for parking reservations. It's very tight there. 

Another place I love in SF is the Presidio. You can take a bus from downtown to get there as it's a considerable hike. If your kid like Disney, the Walt Disney Family Museum is really cool. 

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

We rented a car on the last day before we headed down to Monterrey. There are a lot of rental agencies in the city or maybe see about a Zipcar. You'll need to do this to get to Battery Spencer. It's got a small parking lot off Conzelman Rd. I don't know if Uber would be easy to use to get back and forth to there. For Muir Woods, you can probably find a shuttle that goes back and forth. If you plan to drive there, check their site for parking reservations. It's very tight there. 

Another place I love in SF is the Presidio. You can take a bus from downtown to get there as it's a considerable hike. If your kid like Disney, the Walt Disney Family Museum is really cool. 

How were your kids with all the walking that you generally do there? Up and down the elevation changes....I have a feeling that's an aspect I'm taking for granted.

Not too bad. The climate was pretty decent. They'd get a little whiny so we'd build in breaks every now and then. We'd always seem to stop down any time there was a beach. The only tough time was the walk up to Coit Tower from Pier 31 but that was about 3000 sets of stairs. We were staying in Inner Sunset and taking the Metro in to downtown which was fun. If you're doing the Trolley, take it around Fisherman's Wharf at Taylor and Bay Street to avoid the crowds. The one near Ghirardelli always seems packed. The turnaround at Union Square is a bitch. If your kid loves the Trolley ride, the Cable Car Museum is supposed to be really good and free. We just didn't have time. 

• Like 1

Friday Night: Off the Grid at Fort Mason - about 20 different food trucks with every type of cuisine you can imagine, with craft beer, too. Bring your jacket - it gets cold since you're on the water. 

Sat: rent bikes in the Wharf, ride past Ghiradelli, up through Fort Mason, along Marina Blvd out to the Palace of Fine Arts. You can then continue down to the beach at Crissy Field and out to Fort Point to check out the waves. 

• Like 1

Some ideas that my kids always enjoy. Some have already been mentioned.

Rent bikes and bike along waterfront

Go the Wave Organ. It's an interesting art piece in the Marina District neighborhood. If you go, go at around high tide. Also has great views of the bay and the Golden Gate bridge.

Go to Chinatown and walk on Stockton St. Stop in the fruit/veggie markets, fish markets, get some snacks. Taking the 30 bus to get there is very interesting. Grant St has the souvenir shops while Stockton St is where people go to shop.

Go on a SF CityGuide walking tour. Lots of different topics and they have good guides. Free with a donation.

Go to the Farmer's Market on Saturday morning at the Ferry Building. Go around the back to the food stands, get some breakfast/lunch and enjoy a great view of the Bay Bridge while eating

Musee Mechanique - cool old arcade games from the 1920's to 90's. 

Cable Car Museum - a fun stop to see how it all works

If your kid needs to blow off steam, there's a nice playground close by the Ferry Building (Sue Bierman Park).

There's a fun playground in the Yerba Buena park - https://yerbabuenagardens.com/childrens-playground-like-no-other-in-sf/

Coit Tower is okay - it has a good view but once you are done with that, there's not much else there.

Exploratorium - Science based kid museum. Tons of hands on kid activities

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zman13 said:

Some ideas that my kids always enjoy. Some have already been mentioned.

Rent bikes and bike along waterfront

Go the Wave Organ. It's an interesting art piece in the Marina District neighborhood. If you go, go at around high tide. Also has great views of the bay and the Golden Gate bridge.

Go to Chinatown and walk on Stockton St. Stop in the fruit/veggie markets, fish markets, get some snacks. Taking the 30 bus to get there is very interesting. Grant St has the souvenir shops while Stockton St is where people go to shop.

Go on a SF CityGuide walking tour. Lots of different topics and they have good guides. Free with a donation.

Go to the Farmer's Market on Saturday morning at the Ferry Building. Go around the back to the food stands, get some breakfast/lunch and enjoy a great view of the Bay Bridge while eating

Musee Mechanique - cool old arcade games from the 1920's to 90's. 

Cable Car Museum - a fun stop to see how it all works

If your kid needs to blow off steam, there's a nice playground close by the Ferry Building (Sue Bierman Park).

There's a fun playground in the Yerba Buena park - https://yerbabuenagardens.com/childrens-playground-like-no-other-in-sf/

Coit Tower is okay - it has a good view but once you are done with that, there's not much else there.

Exploratorium - Science based kid museum. Tons of hands on kid activities

This is gold, thanks!!

The upside to Alcatraz (besides being a great tour even for young ones) is the grounds are, at least to me, an incredibly pretty place. Lots of pretty wildflowers and the birds that congregate are really a sight to see. Just watch out for bombing runs out in the sports court.  

Alcatraz

Exploratorium and CA Academy of Sciences are always crowded. If you go, go early. 

Crissy Field, Fort Point, Baker Beach 

Swan Oyster Depot for seafood (go early to avoid the line or skip the line and order to-go)

Dolores Park

Check the ferry schedule and take a ride to Jack London Square and back

Take the Ferry to Tiburon. Eat at Sam's Anchor Cafe.

10 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Cal Academy of Sciences is a pretty interesting and kid friendly museum of she is remotely into that sort of thing. In Golden Gate Park.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It also has a great aquarium - the only rival is the spectacular one in Monterey. Right across the way is the modern art museum the De Young. There's a tower with an observation floor - on a good day, the view is great. Not many people know it's free, and you don't have to have a museum ticket. Also, paddle boarding around Stow Lake is really great on a nice day.

If you are going to do a ferry, I would probably suggest the one back/forth to Sausalito or Tiburon (and not Jack London), as you can almost count on better weather. 

In the Presidio, the newly renovated officer's club has a nice review of early SF history and military tradition. Admission is free. Nearby is the Disney Family Museum. I have not been as I've heard mixed thing about it (particularly for kids). There's a lot of early drawings from cartoons which are probably more interesting for adults than kids. Again, haven't been. 

But a walk along Crissy Field, lunch or snacks at the Warming Hut is a good day. Early October could be absolutely glorious with weather. Continuing on to Fort Point and climbing to the very top - the GG Bridge is so close you feel you can touch it. Just walking across (or to mid way) on the GG Bridge is a treat. 

The Exploratorium is hands-on science-y stuff. If she's into it, it's a fun time for sure.

Aquarium of the Bay is just ok - the one in Cal Academy is far better, but if are there and can only do one it's not bad. 

The SF Zoo is also just ok as once you get past the new spectacular African section it's pretty old-school depressing. The Oakland Zoo is far, far better, but it's probably too far.

If you have a car, driving up the Headlands immediately after crossing the bridge to Hawk Hill is great. Descending down, the backside is one of my favorite areas. Short walk to the Point Bonita Lighthouse, Playing at Rodeo Beach, The Nike Missile Site (now open Fridays and Saturdays), Battery Townsley (first Sunday of the month, 12-4). 

On 9/9/2018 at 8:53 PM, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

I'll second the endorsement for Monterrey Bay Aquarium, it's one of the best aquariums in the country. I would also recommend driving down the PCH another hour or so into Big Sur past Bixby Bridge. Point Lobos State Reserve in Carmel is worth a visit, also. 

From SF proper to Carmel and back is an all day trip.   

12 hours ago, Txzen said:

In the Presidio, the newly renovated officer's club has a nice review of early SF history and military tradition. Admission is free. Nearby is the Disney Family Museum. I have not been as I've heard mixed thing about it (particularly for kids). There's a lot of early drawings from cartoons which are probably more interesting for adults than kids. Again, haven't been.  

We went to the Disney Family Museum, and it was definitely more interesting for the older generations.  It's more about Walt Disney's personal history and the development and expansion of the Disney franchise from the 1920s to 1950s, and less about the modern Disney world and all of its movies and characters.  I really enjoyed it, but my kids got bored pretty quickly.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Bump

Looking for a short trip in June and considering SF.  My boys are 11 and 14, and I think they'd have a blast.  It's been years since I've been, and then it was me and the wife at the Fairmont -- not gonna happen with these knuckleheads.  Any particular recommendations for family (but not little kid) hotels beyond the usual generics?  Any particular areas to look in?

39 minutes ago, Damor said:

Bump

Looking for a short trip in June and considering SF.  My boys are 11 and 14, and I think they'd have a blast.  It's been years since I've been, and then it was me and the wife at the Fairmont -- not gonna happen with these knuckleheads.  Any particular recommendations for family (but not little kid) hotels beyond the usual generics?  Any particular areas to look in?

Wife and I took our two kiddos a couple years ago and booked an apartment through HomeAway in the North Beach area about 4 blocks from Pier 39 and Pier 33 (where you catch the ferry to Alcatraz).  Stocked up on breakfast stuff at the nearby Safeway so we could eat at the flat before heading out for the day.  Easy walk to the Washington Square neighborhood which has a good amount of nice restaurants.  Rented a car from a nearby Hertz for a day trip to Muir Woods and a couple wine stops in Sonoma.  Other folks might have better recommendations for location, but uber is cheap and easy so we freely moved around town.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Damor said:

Bump

Just last week we did 4 days there with our 5 and 7 year olds.  We stayed at the Hotel Vitale on the corner of Mission and the Embarcadero nearly directly across the street from the Ferry Building.  The hotel was fine with kids and the location was great.  We walked across the street and ate breakfast in the Ferry Building every morning (a bunch of little bakeries and they have a killer farmers' market on Saturday) and then headed down the water from there (trolley a couple of times, pedicab a couple of times, walked a couple of times) to see the wharf, exploratorium, aquarium, sea lions, etc.  One day we ubered to golden gate park, explored that area, and then ubered to North Beach to eat at a little bitty Italian joint that's been there since the 1930's (trying to remember the name will ask my wife and report back).  It was great but my favorite part was the Saturday night post-supper walk through North Beach back to the hotel.  That area is super dense and has a true urban feel.  It also still has a little bit of an edge to it and it was packed Saturday night.  Seeing all of those people (and all kinds of people -- homeless, tourists, long time locals, partying young professionals, etc.) packed into such an urban setting really blew my kids' minds.  They loved it and I loved seeing them react to it.  My 7 year old daughter told me the next morning that she wanted to go to college in SF and live in North Beach.  We also stopped at City Lights book store and told them about the beat stuff and a great little Italian bakery.  

We also had a great teaching moment that night as a homeless guy went apeshit pretty close to us when we were walking back to the hotel.  I told the kids to just ignore him keep looking straight ahead and keep walking and when we got back to the hotel we had a good talk about how that kind of shit happens sometimes and that it's ok and this is how you handle yourself, etc.

The last day we rented a car through the hotel (it was very easy (they bring it to hotel and you leave it at valet that night when you get back) and we got a decent rate) and did Muir Woods and then saw some family in Sonoma.  Muir Woods was great and the kids really enjoyed it.  Sonoma was fine and we had to go to see family but I probably wouldn't recommend going all the way out there when there's so much other cool kid stuff to do.  

Also had really good dim sum at Yank Sing (I think they have 2 locations and both are walking distance from Vitale).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gale Snoats said:

One day we ubered to golden gate park, explored that area, and then ubered to North Beach to eat at a little bitty Italian joint that's been there since the 1930's (trying to remember the name will ask my wife and report back).  

Was it Fior d'Italia?  We ate there when we stayed in the North Beach area.  Billed as America's Oldest Italian Restaurant.  You could probably find better Italian food in the city, but it was pretty darn good, and the atmosphere had a great classic neighborhood feel to it.

https://www.fior.com/

22 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Was it Fior d'Italia?  We ate there when we stayed in the North Beach area.  Billed as America's Oldest Italian Restaurant.  You could probably find better Italian food in the city, but it was pretty darn good, and the atmosphere had a great classic neighborhood feel to it.

https://www.fior.com/

Fior sounds similar but just remembered -- it was Tommasos.  It's what I'd call a classic red sauce Italian joint -- simple menu and dishes but very good.  Also it was great for kids (even though it was across the street from the Hustler club and next door to a sex shop).  1042 Kearny Street in North Beach.  Stella was the name of the bakery that was so good.  It's probably a block and a half or so from Tommasos and City Lights.  

I was just about to guess Tommasos.  It would be hard to think of a more stereotypical classic Italian restaurant than that.  

For the really good Italian food in SF, you generally have to get outside of North Beach and go somewhere like Flour+Water (the Mission) or A16 (the Marina).  However, the North Beach places are still fun if you like the kitschy old-school Italian-vibe (pictures of Sinartra, red and white tablecloths, candles in Chianti bottles, etc.) Of those places, my favorites are probably Tommasos and Firenze by Night (which has great gnocchi)       

We stayed in the Marina and my 9yr old loved it. It was also fleet week so it was packed as fuck but air shows constantly. That aspect was cool but also loud as fuck. We did everything you can do in the wharf and rented bikes one day, ate a shot ton of oysters at Hog Island, etc. she loved it all. Weather was absolutely perfect

Some good information here. A few notes.

• Fleet Week (usually the first week in October) is often the tail end of the little glorious weather we get in SF. September is usually great. June/July can be quite the experience for those not realizing what they are in for as it can be colder than it is in winter. Fog will move in after 2p with wind. Dress in layers!.
  • I think I might like the location around the Embarcadero (such as the Hotel Vitale mentioned) for a few reasons. It's not as touristy as the Fisherman's Wharf area where everyone eventually wants to end up, and the Ferry Building has a lot of nice food. You're not far away from the Wharf, walking distance to the great Exploratorium, and also close enough to the Union Square area. Bonus points for renting bikes, biking from the Embarcadero over the bridge and then taking the ferry back from Sausalito.
  • Highly recommend the Cal Academy of Sciences in GGP - outside of the Monterey Bay Aquarium, it's one of the nicest I've been to out here. The rest of the museum is nice as well, plus there are other things in the Park (bike rental, gardens, etc). Note that there's a great, and free, observatory on top of the de Young which is right by the Science museum.
  • 15+ years out here and I've not gone to Muir Woods, mostly because it's super crowded and there are other options. But note that they now require reservations, and you must also take a shuttle in. From what I hear, you might want to book those tix now. : https://www.nps.gov/muwo/planyourvisit/index.htm
  • Old School Cal-Italian? Tadich Grill. Yet another reason to stay near the Embarcadero. 
  • Depending on your boys, there's a few activities in the Crissy Field area which could be worthwhile
  • I would recommend Alcatraz as well, though again you might want to think about booking now. Slots will definitely sell out during the summer months quickly.
  • Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 10:29 AM, Sleepygrad said:

I know GB has his SF thread, but this is slightly different. I'm taking my daughter to San Francisco for a long weekend in October for her 9th bday. I've been there a few times, but it's been a while. We're staying in the russian hill area near north beach and the wharf. We'll be there Friday to Monday and I'm looking for some "must do's" with a 9yr old. Some things I'm thinking for sure is the typical tourist shit: 

- Wharf/Ghirardelli square area, see the seals, oysters, etc

- Trolly, lombard street

- golden gate park - not sure about what all is inside the park, but we'll see

- union square/downtown 

- china town - can spend a day walking around here, eating dumplings or dim sum

- coit tower

- maybe catch a giants game or a show??

She's never been to california and she loves seafood, sushi, oysters, pizza, etc. So 5 star restaurants and champagne is out, but great pizza and chinese food (house of nanking maybe) is in. Any suggestions of activities or restaurants would be great. 

If youre not too worried about sea sickness you can go to a whale watching tour, but it is a pretty long boat ride.  There is a pretty decent aquarium down on fisherman's warf that kids like.  

Seconded on getting the Alcatraz tickets right now.  And if you can manage to rally the gang earlier, try to get one of the first departures before the island gets packed.  It was easy for us since we were on Texas time and are early birds as it is.  And I usually and not the one to do the audio tour in museums, but it for Alcatraz it made for a much better experience.

The public parks are worth it if the kid is still into playgrounds. There's a lot you can just drop in to when walking around. We went to Joe DiMaggio Playground, Dolores Park, and one in Chinatown. The first two in particular were really awesome. Both had some really unique playground equipment I've never seen anywhere.  

The Joe playground had this crazy fucking thing.  Where the guy is holding on, there's another seat for a 2nd kid.  The kids were getting insanely high. 

Edited by CooterBrown

• 3 years later...

Time for a bump. My 14 year old son and I decided we want to go to San Fran in June. It'll be the first time for both of us. The Giants are in town so we'll definitely do a ball game. And Alcatraz is a must. I need to start working on my Sean Connery accent so I can say, "Welcome to the rock" when we get there. I'll probably be the first person who has ever done that.

Any other recommendations for a teenage boy?

I took my kids for Thanksgiving week in 2016. They both loved Alcatraz. The self-guided audio tour is well worth it.

We managed to get to Muir Woods at the crack of dawn so got good parking and beat the crowds. But I’ve read it’s gotten so crowded that it’s unenjoyable.

The Walt Disney museum at The Presidio was pretty cool.

Pier 33 is a bit touristy but worth a stroll and decent lunch spot for seafood.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I’ve only been there twice, but I have an affinity for San Fran, because that’s where my parents met and got married (on Treasure Island). My dad was stationed there when he got back from Vietnam, and he picked up my mom at a bar in Tiburon.

Since you gave some good ideas, I'll stay away from making the easy joke. But, damn, it's just sitting right there!

Walking (or urban hiking, as we call it) is IMO the best way to explore SF. The city is actually only 7x7 square miles so it’s very easy to get around. Few favorites, but there’s tons of stuff:

- North Beach/Chinatown.  Grant Street’s transition from deep Chinatown to deep North Beach is a great juxtaposition. 
-Russian Hill. Ina Coolbrith is one of my favorite views of the city. Francisco Park is a new park that will have great Bay views, should be open soon. 
-Fort Mason for great Bridge views. 
-Pac Height. Alta Plaza Park and Billionaire’s Row. 
-The Presidio, easy to hike around and can check out Crissy Field and Baker Beach. Can walk to Land’s End as well. 
- Golden Gate Park. JFK Drive is car-free (for now) and has become an awesome pedestrian walkway. Wings at Kezar or San Tung. 
- The Mission. Check out the murals on Valencia and Mission, get a burrito. Also get a contact high at Dolores Park. 
- Bernal Heights. One of my other favorite views of the city and walkable from the Mission. 

Also, do not bother with Muir Woods. It’s touristy and overcrowded. You can actually hike into parts of it from Mt Tam with zero crowds. As Txzen mentioned, my favorite easy hike is the coastal trail loop from Rodeo Beach. About 2.5 hours and has great views of the city, super easy to get to. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/27/2022 at 1:34 PM, HornOnTheBayou said:

Time for a bump. My 14 year old son and I decided we want to go to San Fran in June. It'll be the first time for both of us. The Giants are in town so we'll definitely do a ball game. And Alcatraz is a must. I need to start working on my Sean Connery accent so I can say, "Welcome to the rock" when we get there. I'll probably be the first person who has ever done that.

Any other recommendations for a teenage boy?

- go roller skating inside an old church at Church on 8 Wheels http://www.churchof8wheels.com/
- Check out the Wave Organ at high tide. It's a wave activated sound sculpture that is made of pieces of demolished cemetery. And has a great view of the Golden Gate Bridge - https://www.exploratorium.edu/visit/wave-organ
- A free walking tour to learn about the history of gangs in Chinatown - https://sfcityguides.org/tour/chinatown-family-associations-tongs-and-gangs/
- If you find yourself in the Pier 39 area (which I don't recommend you visit), salvage the visit with a side trip to Musee Mechanique - https://museemecanique.com/

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, zman13 said:

- go roller skating inside an old church at Church on 8 Wheels http://www.churchof8wheels.com/
- Check out the Wave Organ at high tide. It's a wave activated sound sculpture that is made of pieces of demolished cemetery. And has a great view of the Golden Gate Bridge - https://www.exploratorium.edu/visit/wave-organ
- A free walking tour to learn about the history of gangs in Chinatown - https://sfcityguides.org/tour/chinatown-family-associations-tongs-and-gangs/
- If you find yourself in the Pier 39 area (which I don't recommend you visit), salvage the visit with a side trip to Musee Mechanique - https://museemecanique.com/

Great ideas. The tour about gangs in Chinatown sounds right up our alley.

• 2 months later...