2018-19 Houston Rockets Thread of running it back (mainly)

SEC

1 minute ago, Planet Houston said:

Draymond with a blatant moving screen against EG on that last Curry 3. Ridiculous the refs won’t call that. 

Kind of a lost cause at this point to think they will ever call those fouls against Golden State. If they haven't called them the last few years, can't expect them to start now.

Beating Golden State 4 out of 5 sounds impossible.  But they've choked away a 2-0 lead before.  Just win the next two at home and a little more convincingly than they won these two and all the pressure shifts back onto them.  Nothing about these first two makes me think we can't win a game at Oracle.

Fuck, we should've won game 1, tho.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

it doesn't look likely, but it's not over.  games 1 and 2 have both been close and there is no reason the rockets can't win games 3 and 4 at home.  IF that happens, it's a series. 

Yea I agree but the point is Game 7 in GS is pretty much a lock for the Warriors and not having Home court advantage this year for me means the Rockets will have to close it out in 6 which means winning 4 straight. Until the Rockets actually win a series they are not expected too like the 94 Rockets I have no faith in Harden and Co. to take their game to another level.

The other stuff that is bothering me is the lack of bench rotation since Game 1&2 vs Utah. We had a solid rotation and won in blowouts then we went to a 7 man rotation with Faried getting 9 min in game 3 compared to 15+ the first two games and since then we have gone back to not using our bench at all which is a strength of ours. Last night rivers got 24 min and green got 10 so he basically played a 6 man rotation which is just crazy.

It’s over. 

The way they came out sloppy and unfocused after complaining about the officials nonstop is damning.  9 turnovers and 10+ offensive rebounds given up in the first qtr.  a legit playoff team doesn’t come out the gate playing like complete dogshit. 

Clippers brought more playoff intensity than the Rockets.

16 hours ago, Planet Houston said:

Draymond with a blatant moving screen against EG on that last Curry 3. Ridiculous the refs won’t call that. 

90% of Curry and Klay's wide open 3's come off moving screens.

D'Antoni, I like him generally, but he's an idiot, deploying 3 guards that don't know how to box out all the time. +8 on offensive rebounds against a team that plays no true center for 90% of the game. It's embarrassing D'Antoni is this stupid. My guess is the difference in the game can be found in the points the Warriors scored off those 8 more offensive rebounds.

Morey was correct that Ariza would regress and Luc would be Luc (not play)

He was wrong replacing their production and we essentially just asked for more from PJ and Gordon to fill the gap. He needed to find an at least Eric Gordon Level guy to replace the losses and didn’t get it done. 

33 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Morey was correct that Ariza would regress and Luc would be Luc (not play)

He was wrong replacing their production and we essentially just asked for more from PJ and Gordon to fill the gap. He needed to find an at least Eric Gordon Level guy to replace the losses and didn’t get it done. 

His mistake was essentially trading Ennis for Shumpert and giving up a 1st round pick to do it.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

90% of the points in an average NBA game come off moving screens

OK not literally but moving screens have become the same kind of tacitly legal tactic as palming the ball on a crossover and taking three steps to get off a shot. It's part of what's so baffling when I hear people say the game is so beautiful nowadays. To me, it's just the opposite end of the same shit spectrum the Knicks infested the sport with in the early 90s, where the rules are bent so far in one direction the game feels dishonest. You give the defense hand-checking and hip-riding and clutching and grabbing and incidental contact on closeouts and body contact on dunks and layups, you get 68-54 final scores. You go out of your way to protect the offensive player's right to an uncontested shot, you let him run with the ball, you let his screeners literally carry defenders out of the way, you get 129-110 final scores.

I think we want to be closer to 129-110 than under 70, but I'd like to see us try to get there without letting Kevin Durant put his fucking hand all the way underneath the ball, hold it in the air for two seconds while he shuffles both feet, and then blow by the understandably confused defender for an uncontested dunk. 

• Like 3

D'Antoni, I like him generally, but he's an idiot, deploying 3 guards that don't know how to box out all the time. +8 on offensive rebounds against a team that plays no true center for 90% of the game. It's embarrassing D'Antoni is this stupid. My guess is the difference in the game can be found in the points the Warriors scored off those 8 more offensive rebounds.
The roster is poorly constructed again... The team lacks length. The starters are 6'1, 6'4', 6'5, 6'5, 6'10.

I'm watching PHI now and realizing the Rockets are not that good. Harden is MVP, but after that, I'd take all of PHIs starting 5 over the Rockets other 4...

I like Capella for this offense and Embiid can't stay healthy... But I'd still make that trade. No gm wouldn't.

CP3 was once great... I'll take the 6'10 Simmons.

Gordon is inconsistent. I'll take JJ Reddick for his shooting.

PJ is tough and a Horn, but undersized. I'll take 6'8 Butler who is a better player all around.

Rockets are in trouble if they can't find a 6'8" player who can defend multiple positions and score some. Morey used to stack these guys as trade chips... They're trade chips because they're actually necessary for a winning roster...

48 minutes ago, Snacks said:

The roster is poorly constructed again... The team lacks length. The starters are 6'1, 6'4', 6'5, 6'5, 6'10.

I'm watching PHI now and realizing the Rockets are not that good. Harden is MVP, but after that, I'd take all of PHIs starting 5 over the Rockets other 4...

I like Capella for this offense and Embiid can't stay healthy... But I'd still make that trade. No gm wouldn't.

CP3 was once great... I'll take the 6'10 Simmons.

Gordon is inconsistent. I'll take JJ Reddick for his shooting.

PJ is tough and a Horn, but undersized. I'll take 6'8 Butler who is a better player all around.

Rockets are in trouble if they can't find a 6'8" player who can defend multiple positions and score some. Morey used to stack these guys as trade chips... They're trade chips because they're actually necessary for a winning roster...

Gordon is better than Reddick

12 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

90% of the points in an average NBA game come off moving screens

OK not literally but moving screens have become the same kind of tacitly legal tactic as palming the ball on a crossover and taking three steps to get off a shot. It's part of what's so baffling when I hear people say the game is so beautiful nowadays. To me, it's just the opposite end of the same shit spectrum the Knicks infested the sport with in the early 90s, where the rules are bent so far in one direction the game feels dishonest. You give the defense hand-checking and hip-riding and clutching and grabbing and incidental contact on closeouts and body contact on dunks and layups, you get 68-54 final scores. You go out of your way to protect the offensive player's right to an uncontested shot, you let him run with the ball, you let his screeners literally carry defenders out of the way, you get 129-110 final scores.

I think we want to be closer to 129-110 than under 70, but I'd like to see us try to get there without letting Kevin Durant put his fucking hand all the way underneath the ball, hold it in the air for two seconds while he shuffles both feet, and then blow by the understandably confused defender for an uncontested dunk. 

which is why Jordan would average 45 these days.  The more i think about the 1980s, the more I like, the perfect blend of old school rules without the dependence on the 3 and players were not oversized on the perimeter as now.  Lots of free flow and streetball sometimes. Game today is overly structured, like the NFL, has become mechanical.