The Next SCOTUS Nominee

MixtyMotions

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

McConnell claims, with a straight face, that Garland was an extremely unique situation that would most likely never occur again.  Below is McConnell's criteria:

• Has to occur in an election year when the sitting President cannot run again
  • The Senate is controlled by a different party than the President
  • The President is black
  • It's 2016 (optional)

If those situations occur again, McConnell is on record saying that he would gladly repeat the same process.

It was Biden's rule. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tjhooker said:

She regrets her public opinion expressed on Trump.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/15/us/politics/ruth-bader-ginsburg-donald-trump.html

Thanks I was genuinely curious.  I’m of the same opinion she comes to grips with that her position she should be disconnected from the political circus.

in all honesty, I hope Kav does the same. 

11 hours ago, CowboyFred said:

Thanks I was genuinely curious.  I’m of the same opinion she comes to grips with that her position she should be disconnected from the political circus.

in all honesty, I hope Kav does the same. 

I've met her.  She is a nice lady as are all the justices.   It's unfortunate there are so many who politicize the court and judge them based on their own insecurities,  narcissism and general poor character like those bafoons in the mob beating on the doors of the court.  They come to a strong majority on cases 90% of the time 

Edited by AtticusFinch
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tjhooker said:

People everywhere who had her in their death pool have blue balls now.  Kirk Douglas is my best guess as the next pool winner.  You have him it's damn near a lock.

Kirk Douglas is still alive?

• 1 month later...

• Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, 85, underwent a lung procedure on Friday, the Supreme Court said in a release. She is “resting comfortably” at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York City.
  • There was no evidence of any remaining disease following the surgery, the court said.
  • There was no evidence of disease elsewhere in Ginsburg’s body, and no further treatment is planned.
  • Two nodules in the lower lobe of her left lung were discovered “incidentally” during tests to treat rib fractures she sustained in a fall last month. Both nodules were found to be malignant during an initial evaluation

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/21/supreme-court-justice-ruth-bader-ginsburg-85-reportedly-undergoes-lung-procedure-.html

47% mortality rate for women over the age of 75 with lung cancer. 

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

You know none of them do their jobs anyway. How are their clerks doing is what we should be asking.

That isn’t true at all.  I clerked.  Not at that level.  But for a federal judge.  And believe me she worked.  And I have two close friends who clerked on scotus.  And both said their bosses worked hard.  

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

She should retire and focus on her health.  

She wont.  Her day of mortality will be the same as her day of resignation.  

So should Clarence Thomas.

So you want to give Trump 4 nominees?

Edited by Jack

7 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

She just has to make it to 1/21

That's gonna be hard for three of the folks on there.  And two of 'em are bad for you apparently...

Edited by Lobo

• 3 weeks later...

Uh oh..

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg will not be on the bench today when the court hears oral arguments. This is the first time in her 25 years on the bench where she will miss a session; spokesman says she will participate using transcripts.

On 12/21/2018 at 1:23 PM, David Dennison said:

Yes, let's all pretend Supreme Court justices write their opinions and do their own research.

While we're at it, let's pretend our elected representatives read and write legislation.

Good grief.

You are out of your depth on this.  I clerked on federal court of appeals and know many former SCOTUS clerks.  Johnny is generally correct.  Each judge is different, but I know of very few who would leave the work to their clerks.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2018 at 1:23 PM, David Dennison said:

Yes, let's all pretend Supreme Court justices write their opinions and do their own research.

While we're at it, let's pretend our elected representatives read and write legislation.

Good grief.

My first-cousin, maternal side.  My mother's sister's son...not some distant relation by Hispanic standards.  Clerked for Justice Kennedy.  Kennedy realized the significance of his swing-role, wrote all his own stuff with proofreading and case citing and formatting one by clerks.  But it was Kennedy through and through.  Then again, that was 25 years ago when Kennedy had much more energy.  Who knows...

• 2 weeks later...

The paper that broke her cancer story back in September is now saying that she has contracted Pneumonia and will retire from the Supreme Court.  They claim their source is one of her law clerks.

https://www.smobserved.com/story/2019/01/07/politics/justice-ruth-bader-ginsburg-will-retire-from-the-us-supreme-court-in-january-2019/3658.html

3 hours ago, Jack said:

The paper that broke her cancer story back in September is now saying that she has contracted Pneumonia and will retire from the Supreme Court.  They claim their source is one of her law clerks.

https://www.smobserved.com/story/2019/01/07/politics/justice-ruth-bader-ginsburg-will-retire-from-the-us-supreme-court-in-january-2019/3658.html

If true, this will be an absolute shit show.