Comic Relief: Satirical Tweets and Memes

Hugo Stiglitz

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/16/2023 at 10:55 PM, Anastasis said:

Abstract

Political ideology not only influences political activities, but also apolitical fields such as charitable giving. However, empirical studies regarding political ideology and charitable giving have yielded mixed results. To find out the effect size and explain the variation in effect sizes, we deploy a meta-analysis to estimate the average effect size and examine the potential moderators from four perspectives. Following scientific data collection and coding procedures, we identify 421 effect sizes from 31 empirical studies. Our meta-analysis results suggest that political conservatives are significantly more charitable than liberals at an overall level, but the relationship between political ideology and charitable giving varies under different scenarios. Furthermore, meta-regression results indicate that the measure of charitable giving, the type of charitable giving, and controlling for religiosity can account for the variation in effect sizes.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0049089X21000752

But see, if you control for religiosity we account for the variation in effect size.  LOL. 

Spoilered for maninblack

Spoiler

Glad Yang was able to find truth for you from so much data. While reading more info at your link, I found this passage interesting. 

Unlike liberals, who favour status signals that are high in cultural capital, conservatives are more likely to have the desire to signal economic status in their consumer behaviour. The two factors that contribute to favouring more explicit signs of economic capital are being wealthier and having a higher tolerance of economic inequality (Oliver et al., 2016;Margolis and Sances, 2017;Yang and Liu, 2021). Therefore, as charitable behaviour is just like any other consumer behaviour, conservatives will donate more as this will be regarded as a sign of economic capital. *

* Edited to note this is supposition.

(I think you will agree, the reward has been achieved).

And, despite my uncertainty of your trust in the following, it is an ironic possibility for someone in your line of work.

Among Americans, more conservative ideology decreases willingness to participate in a hypothetical longitudinal cohort study of AD (edit: Alzheimer’s disease) both directly and through its negative effect on confidence in science. The Knight ADRC study participants expressed more liberal ideology and greater confidence in science than Americans in general.”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6051930/

(Yep. Plain text is beyond me).

Edited by Willfully Horn
  • Like 1

The hyperlink in your quote links to Yang 2021 paper I just cited. Can you link the text that you just quoted?
At face value the following is hilarious and totally appropriate for this thread though.
Since conservatives are more charitable, they can contribute more to our society through charitable giving. 
It came from the paper you linked. I'm too lazy to hyperlink it. Just go back to your link and ctrl+f
  • Hook 'Em 1

By most accounts, he dies after excruciating days on the Cross just before sunset and the start of the Sabbath.  So using a latitude of that spot outside Jerusalem, that's about like Waco.  So solstice/first moon after, we can assume that time of Spring...sun sets 6:30p.  So let's say he dies around 4pm, local time.  They go to the tomb less than 48 hours later so they still have time to make a late brunch on Sunday after worship services.  So he doesn't even really rise on the third day.  Like in "Swingers", it's basically "Tomorrow, and then a day.  So two days?  Yeah, two days."  

All that to say, I remain both humbly grateful and in constant awe at how many "American Christians" don't know when he came back, where he came back to, what he did while he was back, and for how long he was back for.  But apparently he didn't want to see any colorful eggs the whole time.  Hide 'em if you have to, just don't let him see any.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/20/2023 at 9:18 PM, YGIFS said:

By most accounts, he dies after excruciating days on the Cross just before sunset and the start of the Sabbath.  So using a latitude of that spot outside Jerusalem, that's about like Waco.  So solstice/first moon after, we can assume that time of Spring...sun sets 6:30p.  So let's say he dies around 4pm, local time.  They go to the tomb less than 48 hours later so they still have time to make a late brunch on Sunday after worship services.  So he doesn't even really rise on the third day.  Like in "Swingers", it's basically "Tomorrow, and then a day.  So two days?  Yeah, two days."  

All that to say, I remain both humbly grateful and in constant awe at how many "American Christians" don't know when he came back, where he came back to, what he did while he was back, and for how long he was back for.  But apparently he didn't want to see any colorful eggs the whole time.  Hide 'em if you have to, just don't let him see any.

You see because of the color of the eggs and the color of the wood on the cross…well, you tell me!

Edited by Biff Tannen