Gameday heading to Washington State

shnsajax

On 10/14/2018 at 11:55 AM, Newy25 said:

I am surprised it was only 15 years ago. I recall going to games in Austin and seeing that guy show up with the flag and I thought it was even before then. 

And for the record, when Matt Campbell gets hired away from Iowa State which might be even this December I want Leach back in the Big 12.  I fully recognize the odds of that happening are literally less than zero but still. 

If Campbell gets hired away in the next 3-4 years, Leach is my wet dream hire.  Realistically, we'd probably grab Jason Candle, which would be fine.  But god damn it, Mike Leach in Ames would be ridiculously entertaining.

I don't think our AD would work well with him, and I think Campbell will somewhat "plan" his exit far enough in advance to be involved in ID'ing and selecting his successor.  He has an excellent relationship with our AD and genuinely gives a shit about ISU.  That won't keep him here when Urbs leaves Columbus, but it probably factors into who our next coach is.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

11 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If Campbell gets hired away in the next 3-4 years, Leach is my wet dream hire.  Realistically, we'd probably grab Jason Candle, which would be fine.  But god damn it, Mike Leach in Ames would be ridiculously entertaining.

I don't think our AD would work well with him, and I think Campbell will somewhat "plan" his exit far enough in advance to be involved in ID'ing and selecting his successor.  He has an excellent relationship with our AD and genuinely gives a shit about ISU.  That won't keep him here when Urbs leaves Columbus, but it probably factors into who our next coach is.

Leach in the Big 12 is good for the Big 12.

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Agreed.  And if it happens, I'd want it to be in Ames.

A more likely scenario is KU money whipping him this off-season.  I'm just not sure that he'd want to take over that big a dumpster fire.

Probably not, but remember that Washington State was also a dumpster fire before Mike Leach, with Paul Wulff amassing the lowest win percentage in school history.

Just now, South Austin said:

Probably not, but remember that Washington State was also a dumpster fire before Mike Leach, with Paul Wulff amassing the lowest win percentage in school history.

I was originally thinking that KU had to be better than Paul Wulff's tenure, but it looks like Wulff went 9-40, so that's about as bad.

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Agreed.  And if it happens, I'd want it to be in Ames.

A more likely scenario is KU money whipping him this off-season.  I'm just not sure that he'd want to take over that big a dumpster fire.

I realize that very few people pay attention to Wazzu, but leach is in the upper third in the PAC in terms of pay + he has a high assistant allowance (hence a top 20 d).  He’s not taking a lateral move...  

11 minutes ago, SDG said:

I realize that very few people pay attention to Wazzu, but leach is in the upper third in the PAC in terms of pay + he has a high assistant allowance (hence a top 20 d).  He’s not taking a lateral move...  

I didn't know that.

However, I do think his vitriol for Tech is very, very real, and if he was compensated well enough, he'd take about any chance he'd get to beat them annually.

Did the whole thing start as a response to Herbstreit (or someone on the cast) swearing up and down that GameDay would never, ever, EVER go to Pullman, Washington? 

I seem to think that Ol Crimson showed up as a response to that, to ensure a little bit of WSU would be on every show, until such time that they went to Pullman. 

25 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

Did the whole thing start as a response to Herbstreit (or someone on the cast) swearing up and down that GameDay would never, ever, EVER go to Pullman, Washington? 

I seem to think that Ol Crimson showed up as a response to that, to ensure a little bit of WSU would be on every show, until such time that they went to Pullman. 

Urban legend.  It started with an Alum taking a flag to Austin in Oct 2003.  Students saw it on tv and thought it was pretty cool. A few weeks later WSU vs USC was passed over and the idea to wave it until game day came to Pullman was born.  The booster club started in year 2 and it became much more organized (I posted the video up thread). 

My question that I’ll post the answer to once I get it is; is this thing going to keep going? The club has a ton of funds left so it in theory could carry on.  

Edited by SDG

On 10/14/2018 at 8:45 AM, Surly Bevo said:

1.  Large organizations are risk averse

2.  Core competency is taking dogshit programs and building them into respectable hover around the bottom half of the Top 25 programs

3.  Big time college football teams don't seem themselves as needing a coach with that particular core competency

4.  Large organizations are risk averse

Pirate is entertaining as hell, and not saying it is right but most big time programs don't want what they think could be a bit of a loose cannon at their helm

Especially at the helm of a pirate ship.  

On 10/14/2018 at 10:29 AM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I mentioned this in the other GD thread...but to bring the show back up from its downward spiral...they need to remove Kirk, Rece, Desmond, David, Lee, Rinaldi and give Leach the center stage with a mic. let him say whatever is on his mind for 3 hours

dont even do game picks. no commercials either because I dont want to  miss anything

That show would have zero to do with football, and even if he stayed on track, it would be about the OL.

I would be down for it, but I am guessing ESPN would be moritified when he got on to his 6th story about Geronimo.

On 10/14/2018 at 11:57 AM, ATLLonghorn said:

Some coaches have defined ceilings which is fine. Perhaps Mike Leach's ceiling is going to places like Lubbock, TX and Pullman, WA and taking bad programs and making them respectable. Perhaps Mike Leach wouldn't do well at a place with a tremendous level of expectation. He was 2-8 against Texas when he was at Tech and both wins were close games that Texas had every opportunity to win. In the SEC he's recruiting against Alabama and Georgia. In the Big Ten he's recruiting against Ohio State. He can definitely coach, but he's not a recruiter and you aren't winning conference championships and national championships in those leagues without a strong recruiting presence. 

You just decided Leach's ceiling how?  Your opinion?

A shit ton of other mofos in this thread have misremembered how Leach operates as well.

Edited by slorch

On 10/14/2018 at 8:45 AM, Surly Bevo said:

1.  Large organizations are risk averse

2.  Core competency is taking dogshit programs and building them into respectable hover around the bottom half of the Top 25 programs

3.  Big time college football teams don't seem themselves as needing a coach with that particular core competency

4.  Large organizations are risk averse

Pirate is entertaining as hell, and not saying it is right but most big time programs don't want what they think could be a bit of a loose cannon at their helm

Leach was a huge factor in Bob Stoops winning his only MNC.

If you consistently hang around the #15-20 area, you're going to break into the top 10 at times.  That's historic high territory for the kind of programs that have given Leach a shot. 

I'd like to see what he could do at a school that's regularly north of .500 in a Power 5 conference historically and access to recruits. 

The funny things about Leach's Air Raid Offense is that is isn't 'out there' any more.  The rest of the football world has embraced a lot of his ideas.  I remember when leach was new at TT, playing them felt almost like playing some bizarro offense that was different from what you saw the rest of the year.   Kind-of like playing Army's Wishbone Offense now. It was different.

Now, you see that stuff almost every Week.

What team has this 5-receiver play in their playbook?

170203-%20Smash-Seam.jpg

That would be the Multi-Super Bowl Champion New England Patriots.  Twenty years ago, you had to play a Leach or Mumme to see  that kind of set.

4 hours ago, slorch said:

You just decided Leach's ceiling how?  Your opinion?

A shit ton of other mofos in this thread have misremembered how Leach operates as well.

I never said his ceiling was defined, I was just saying it's possible his ceiling is to make bad or average programs better but not elite. He went 5-15 against Texas and Oklahoma. He's not known as being an expert recruiter. He's undoubtedly one of the greatest offensive minds in college football, but his personality is wrong for a lot of places. You got your panties in a bunch because I suggested Tech wasn't a place for someone with a high ceiling.

4 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

I never said his ceiling was defined, I was just saying it's possible his ceiling is to make bad or average programs better but not elite. He went 5-15 against Texas and Oklahoma. He's not known as being an expert recruiter. He's undoubtedly one of the greatest offensive minds in college football, but his personality is wrong for a lot of places. You got your panties in a bunch because I suggested Tech wasn't a place for someone with a high ceiling.

IDGAF about Tech when it comes to the Leach discussion.  Fact is, Leach has never had the easier places to recruit to, such as Austin or Tuscaloosa where the things are...well...a little more conducive to player comforts, if you will.

People like you write things as fact, when it never has happened, so how the fuck do you know?

Leach’s hiring as a blue-blood HC seems about as crazy to guys who hire now as running the Air Raid used to seem to guys who install offenses. The proof of the pudding is sometimes only in the eating of the pudding.

edit: can you imagine what might happen if he succeeded Helton?

Edited by Magus Ossis
Another thought

I'll be honest, when the Tennessee thing came to light, I was really hoping it would happen...

Mostly for Leach to fuck Saban's control of the world all to hell.  No, i'm not saying TSO would stop Bama from winning titles, but some of the other horseshit Saban tries to pull would just be fodder for Leach to go after, much in the same vein that he attacked aggy for being fucked up.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

IDGAF about Tech when it comes to the Leach discussion.  Fact is, Leach has never had the easier places to recruit to, such as Austin or Tuscaloosa where the things are...well...a little more conducive to player comforts, if you will.

People like you write things as fact, when it never has happened, so how the fuck do you know?

Reading comprehension isn't your thing, got it.

6 hours ago, sushihorn said:

Leach was a huge factor in Bob Stoops winning his only MNC.

If you consistently hang around the #15-20 area, you're going to break into the top 10 at times.  That's historic high territory for the kind of programs that have given Leach a shot. 

I'd like to see what he could do at a school that's regularly north of .500 in a Power 5 conference historically and access to recruits. 

That's the situation he took over at Tech.  So we've already seen it.  They were 19-13 in the first four years of the Big 12, but some rather embarrassing losses cost Spike his job.  

you skipped the 'access to recruits' part...

If you think convincing a parent that Lubbock ain't practically on another planet when they visit, you've probably never left the Caprock before...

Edited by slorch

6 hours ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Reading comprehension isn't your thing, got it.

ahhh, play the dumb card now...  you must be Surly elite.

1. I've railed against my own school consistently for how it handled the Leach situation.  My feelings ain't hurted when someone says something about Tech.

2. So Leach went 5-15 against 2 schools in games in which he NEVER had the more talented team.  Your point is exactly the driver in wondering what he could do in a better recruiting situation.

3. Leach detractors deride his recruiting, but it's really a chicken/ egg question.  When has he had a great draw to recruit from?

Edited by slorch

5 hours ago, slorch said:

you skipped the 'access to recruits' part...

If you think convincing a parent that Lubbock ain't practically on another planet when they visit, you've probably never left the Caprock before...

Correct.  I'm thinking of programs like UCLA, Colorado, the other UT, aggy.  It would actually be hilarious to see what would happen after a few years if he went back to UK.

I thought it was transported from site to site through fairy dust and leprechaun farts, only coming to those who have proven themselves worthy by surviving trials of a most difficult nature-- such as, making it through one week in Pullman without killing yourself.

11 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Wait what?  The Wash St flag stays in ESPN's HQ?  I thought it was shipped around the country Coug fan to Coug fan.

It is transferred. Espn was given the original one some years ago so they decided to bring it with them. 

5 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

I don’t think they feel they’re overpaying for Mike Leach right now in Pullman.

Mike Leach is the king at Wazzu, bringing notoriety to Pullman, where most fans in the ETZ/ XYZ at this point have to look up to see where ESPN College Gameday is being hosted this week...

3 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

I don’t think they feel they’re overpaying for Mike Leach right now in Pullman.

Just you wait. Any year now he's going to win his second Apple Cup. He hasn't done that since his first year in Pullman back in 2012 when Steve Sarkisian was coaching the Huskies. It was the Cougars' third triumphant win on the season. 

What's really crazy is that the next year Sarkisian was coaching at USC. Chris Petersen took over at UW and hasn't lost to Leach yet. That's five straight. I'd be surprised if Petersen doesn't stretch it to 6-0 this year. 

Leach reminds me of a talented indie filmmaker, as you know there is some real creativity and talent there that pushes the boundaries in a good way, but the risk aversion is also there for the corporate (blue blood programs) studios that want specific metrics/personalities for their program heads.

6 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Just you wait. Any year now he's going to win his second Apple Cup. He hasn't done that since his first year in Pullman back in 2012 when Steve Sarkisian was coaching the Huskies. It was the Cougars' third triumphant win on the season. 

What's really crazy is that the next year Sarkisian was coaching at USC. Chris Petersen took over at UW and hasn't lost to Leach yet. That's five straight. I'd be surprised if Petersen doesn't stretch it to 6-0 this year. 

The point of my post was the excitement that seems to be associated with and engendered by the program now, as evidenced in the quoted clip. In the end, football is a diversion, entertainment. Its ultimate success, as much as we track wins and titles, depends on pleasing the clientele/ stakeholders/ alumni/ fans. That sample looks pleased to me. Sure he has not yet done well v UW, but for every on-field metric he meets, there will always be another he misses. Until he is PalouSaban. Again, I was addressing the fun factor. Tech fans will remember that metric.