Gameday heading to Washington State

shnsajax

3 minutes ago, Eldodroptop said:

It is baffling how the Pirate has been shut out of any top head coaching opportunities. All that crazy fucker does is build winning programs out of utter dogshit.

1.  Large organizations are risk averse

2.  Core competency is taking dogshit programs and building them into respectable hover around the bottom half of the Top 25 programs

3.  Big time college football teams don't seem themselves as needing a coach with that particular core competency

4.  Large organizations are risk averse

Pirate is entertaining as hell, and not saying it is right but most big time programs don't want what they think could be a bit of a loose cannon at their helm

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eldodroptop said:

It is baffling how the Pirate has been shut out of any top head coaching opportunities. All that crazy fucker does is build winning programs out of utter dogshit.

He's Rich Rodriguez without the hillbilly charm. You remember the upset wins, you forget the upset losses.

He's good for an entertaining press conference; he's more popular for those than anything else. And when he refers to players' fat girlfriends we laugh and don't notice that he's throwing his players under the bus after a loss. He's good at deflecting blame that way. 

He's a novelty act that could never survive the scrutiny of the media covering the big time programs. He also wouldn't sell to the boosters of the big time programs. And he doesn't want to. I wouldn't want him anywhere close to leading a program I cared about but I think it would be a hoot if someone else hired him. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

I mentioned this in the other GD thread...but to bring the show back up from its downward spiral...they need to remove Kirk, Rece, Desmond, David, Lee, Rinaldi and give Leach the center stage with a mic. let him say whatever is on his mind for 3 hours

dont even do game picks. no commercials either because I dont want to  miss anything

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I mentioned this in the other GD thread...but to bring the show back up from its downward spiral...they need to remove Kirk, Rece, Desmond, David, Lee, Rinaldi and give Leach the center stage with a mic. let him say whatever is on his mind for 3 hours

dont even do game picks. no commercials either because I dont want to  miss anything

Does he get to bring a bottle of Scotch with him?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Does he get to bring a bottle of Scotch with him?

How about Leach, Holgo, Ogre, and Leslie Miles... and a case of scotch.  

Gameday would be the shit.  Leach hosts of course, Les doing les things, holgo is shitfaced and the only one who can understand Ogres takes.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

He's Rich Rodriguez without the hillbilly charm. You remember the upset wins, you forget the upset losses.

He's good for an entertaining press conference; he's more popular for those than anything else. And when he refers to players' fat girlfriends we laugh and don't notice that he's throwing his players under the bus after a loss. He's good at deflecting blame that way. 

He's a novelty act that could never survive the scrutiny of the media covering the big time programs. He also wouldn't sell to the boosters of the big time programs. And he doesn't want to. I wouldn't want him anywhere close to leading a program I cared about but I think it would be a hoot if someone else hired him. 

I don't often neg, but when I do, I neg you for denigrating Mike Leach.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Parliament said:
2 hours ago, Bama Llama said:
I would contribute to the buyout if the backroom gang at Auburn would bring the Pirate to the Plains, and I'm a Bama man.  Talk about your good theater - Saban v. Leach for at least a few years.

You'll be bidding against me. We need him in the B1G.

I'd love to see him at one of those bland, boring, bottom-feeding, easily forgettable B1G programs like Illinois or Indiana or Nebraska.

He'd make B1G football slightly less boring.

:)

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

This is exactly how I view Leach. If you are someone not invested in the program, he is hilarious and a treat to watch. From a healthy distance. 

If you are a fan of the team and he suffers a horrible loss then proceeds to blame his players and the fans and talk about Giraffe farming, then he probably would wear on you. He is good at putting his offensive system in place and setting a reasonably high floor for a program like Washington State. At a major college trying to build a perrenial conference contender he would implode in epic fashion. And he would probably do it at a press conference. 

So more than 30 years ago, I was at a Texas Exes party in Dallas.  I'm with some friends I graduated with and we start talking to a group of 3 or 4 girls.  One of the girls said she was not a UT grad but was a graduate of Washington State.  We start talking about the school and majors and how'd you get to Dallas blah blah blah. I said something like "you know I really couldn't even tell you where Washington State is."  She sort of looked at me like I was an idiot and said "you really don't know where Washington State is?"  "Um, no not really" says I.  She says "well it's the state north of Oregon and west of Idaho." I looked at one of her other friends listening to this conversation and just shook my head.  I ended up asking her to go home with me that night but she respectfully declined.  Sorry, no pics.

Edited by smwhorn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

1.  Large organizations are risk averse

2.  Core competency is taking dogshit programs and building them into respectable hover around the bottom half of the Top 25 programs

3.  Big time college football teams don't seem themselves as needing a coach with that particular core competency

4.  Large organizations are risk averse

Pirate is entertaining as hell, and not saying it is right but most big time programs don't want what they think could be a bit of a loose cannon at their helm

You said rape twice. 

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Many things this fanbase loves about Leach watching him coach other programs would turn to loathing if he coached at Texas.

No one is talking about that. I honestly don’t remember ever seeing that subject broached in the history of our boards. 

Because that isn’t a serious consideration and will never happen, I do think the discussion about a bigger program taking him on would be a wonderful thing to watch and I don’t care how it turned out. 

• Like 1

I am surprised it was only 15 years ago. I recall going to games in Austin and seeing that guy show up with the flag and I thought it was even before then. 

And for the record, when Matt Campbell gets hired away from Iowa State which might be even this December I want Leach back in the Big 12.  I fully recognize the odds of that happening are literally less than zero but still. 

Some coaches have defined ceilings which is fine. Perhaps Mike Leach's ceiling is going to places like Lubbock, TX and Pullman, WA and taking bad programs and making them respectable. Perhaps Mike Leach wouldn't do well at a place with a tremendous level of expectation. He was 2-8 against Texas when he was at Tech and both wins were close games that Texas had every opportunity to win. In the SEC he's recruiting against Alabama and Georgia. In the Big Ten he's recruiting against Ohio State. He can definitely coach, but he's not a recruiter and you aren't winning conference championships and national championships in those leagues without a strong recruiting presence. 

41 minutes ago, smwhorn said:

So more than 30 years ago, I was at a Texas Exes party in Dallas.  I'm with some friends I graduated with and we start talking to a group of 3 or 4 girls.  One of the girls said she was not a UT grad but was a graduate of Washington State.  We start talking about the school and majors and how'd you get to Dallas blah blah blah. I said something like "you know I really couldn't even tell you where Washington State is."  She sort of looked at me like I was an idiot and said "you really don't know where Washington State is?"  "Um, no not really" says I.  She says "well it's the state north of Oregon and west of Idaho." I looked at one of her other friends listening to this conversation and just shook my head.  I ended up asking her to go home with me that night but she respectfully declined.  Sorry, no pics.

Gotta up your game bro.

Seriously, funny story. Sounds like a Coug response. Next time, Pullman! Out in the Palouse!

2 hours ago, Treefidy said:

How about Leach, Holgo, Ogre, and Leslie Miles... and a case of scotch.  

Gameday would be the shit.  Leach hosts of course, Les doing les things, holgo is shitfaced and the only one who can understand Ogres takes.

I’m thinking Leach, Miles and Spurrier.   Hell, throw Bill Walton in there even though it’s the wrong sport.  It’d be like fucking Woodstock 

I am surprised it was only 15 years ago. I recall going to games in Austin and seeing that guy show up with the flag and I thought it was even before then. 
And for the record, when Matt Campbell gets hired away from Iowa State which might be even this December I want Leach back in the Big 12.  I fully recognize the odds of that happening are literally less than zero but still. 

He would have to get fired from WSU to even consider ISU.

16 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I’m thinking Leach, Miles and Spurrier.   Hell, throw Bill Walton in there even though it’s the wrong sport.  It’d be like fucking Woodstock 

True story Spurrier was in Pullman for the Utah game.  His son is on Leach’s staff. That would of been an interesting conversation to be a part of. 

7 hours ago, hornian said:

He would kill at Tennessee. And they passed him over. 

Actually the athletic director of Tennessee was scheduled to interview Mike Leach for the head coach vacancy of the Volunteers, but was fired before the deal could be made, then old ball coach Fulmer took over, and wanted an SEC guy...

I would contribute to the buyout if the backroom gang at Auburn would bring the Pirate to the Plains, and I'm a Bama man.  Talk about your good theater - Saban v. Leach for at least a few years.

I think the pirate or gundy would be a great fit at auburn. If it's gundy they have to have it in the contract that he must keep the mullet.

9 hours ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

Aggy is a better example. UTlite is actually a good coach away from becoming a powerhouse (again).

Disagree. Recruiting in Tennessee is harder than ever. Until they get enough talent on the field at the right position it won't matter who's coaching.

TU isn't UT where you can drunkenly stumble into a top 10 recruiting class.

He has only had two chances as a HC: Tech and WSU. He clearly turned the latter around, and was consistently decent (season-long, not each/every game) at Tech- had the longest league bowl-eligible streak. He likes to drink, he likes to talk, he doesn’t tolerate fools, and he won’t suck up. He came within one game of getting Tech in the NCG. Tech. He may flame out at Wazzou. He might fail miserably at every big chance he gets. The fact is that his particular brand of crazy has never been tried at a blue blood, so we don’t know exactly what would happen.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2018 at 8:29 AM, shnsajax said:

15 years of the WSU flag being flown to every game day city looks to be coming to an end. Its going to be a massive drunken party all week in Pullman. Or at least more so than normal.

O/U on how many flags will they be waving at their own gameday?

Just now, Zavala said:

O/U on how many flags will they be waving at their own gameday?

I think it would be really cool if a bunch of flags from other schools showed up.  Several smaller/lesser known schools have tweeted at WSU asking if they can take over the tradition.    And yes the official Ol’ Crimson flag will be there front and center. 

• Like 1