2018 - 2019 Dallas Mavericks: Throw Some D's

CBT

Went to the game as the Mavs finally came to Denver. Just a few thoughts:

• Doncic is incredible in person. His vision for some of those passes was just absurd, and he's clearly ahead of schedule.
  • Bench was the difference tonight. Without DJ, Powell was just obliterated by Jokic. I was a bit surprised that Mejri didn't get a run earlier in the game.
  • Denver is a pretty bad matchup. Jokic is great, there really wasn't anyone to cover Plumblee, and Lyles was just too hot to allow him to get open looks.
  • Brunson had a rough night. I know he's a second round pick, but I was surprised he was getting so much time.

All in all, disappointing 3 game skid, but the future is still bright.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Tough loss, but Denver is a good team. This is why we can’t give away games to fucking Phoenix...

Not the worst loss, Denver is really good.  Jokic is already an amazing player, but I think he is about one year away from taking it to an even higher level with a little more scoring overall.  Sleeper MVP type player.  Dallas is in great shape with Luka, this whole year to me is just a year to enjoy watching some growth and development towards the future and anything beyond that (playoffs) is gravy.

• Like 2

Luka is great. Not new news.

WE gotta figure out this big man Situation.  Kleber needs much more time than he's getting, but you can't just let Dirk rot on the bench either.  Also, DAJ is awesome at getting rebounds, but his defense gets worse the more I watch.  Hope they have a plan for that spot next season.  We still need a big that can clean the glass and catch lobs, but a better defender would be nice too.

On 12/19/2018 at 2:19 PM, UTDD said:

Not the worst loss, Denver is really good.  Jokic is already an amazing player, but I think he is about one year away from taking it to an even higher level with a little more scoring overall.  Sleeper MVP type player.  Dallas is in great shape with Luka, this whole year to me is just a year to enjoy watching some growth and development towards the future and anything beyond that (playoffs) is gravy.

Same. If you are worried about seeding and playoffs this season for this team, your expectations are unrealistic and you are doing it wrong. There are going to be growing pains. This is not a playoff team at the moment in this conference. 

Are we sure Mark even said that. I've seen a number of these sorts of screen caps lately with claiming someone famous gave a hot take and then you can't find any attribution anywhere else on the internet backing up the statement.
Sportscenter posted it on their Facebook page. They aren't going to post fake stuff. Google 'Mark Cuban Eurohoops' and you'll see all the outlets reporting this.
  • Like 1

I think everyone not named Luka is available in the right deal.  That's not much of a leap.  But I would be pretty hesitant to move DSJ.   

My bet is that's how Donnie feels as well. 

So we are back to just having one guy, which is now Luka and having a revolving door around him? That was what Dirk dealt with after the Finals win. You draft a guy pretty high last year that you liked and now wanting to move on from him less than 2 seasons later? What are they expecting to get for a young, raw player that has no skins on the wall? I think it's pretty dumb.

Most players don't have the benefit of being pros for 5 year prior to entering the league. Luka is special and is on a growth curve never seen before in a 19 year old entering the league. His ridiculous trajectory shouldn't cloud our judgment and force us into rash decisions because the 20 year old we took a year ago isn't on the same sped up growth tract. The time may come to trade DSJ, but 2 & 1/2 months into his second year shouldn't be when that decision is made. That's fucking stupid.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Most players don't have the benefit of being pros for 5 year prior to entering the league. Luka is special and is on a growth curve never seen before in a 19 year old entering the league. His ridiculous trajectory shouldn't cloud our judgment and force us into rash decisions because the 20 year old we took a year ago isn't on the same sped up growth tract. The time may come to trade DSJ, but 2 & 1/2 months into his second year shouldn't be when that decision is made. That's fucking stupid.

Exactly. I don't see any rationale explanation as to why they want to deal him unless there is shit going on behind the scenes but I haven't heard any rumblings. Aren't we supposed to be building a nucleus moving forward? Not going to happen if you keep trying to bring in all these new pieces to play with and then get tired of them and do it all over again. DSJ is still growing and extremely young. Does Rick not have patience for him? Is Luka not meshing with him? Something has to be up. And even those 2 don't warrant him to be dealt.

And even after all that, they are not going to get some kind of haul for this young of a player that is still learning this league. No bottom feeder team is giving up a premium lottery pick either. 

20 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Exactly. I don't see any rationale explanation as to why they want to deal him unless there is shit going on behind the scenes but I haven't heard any rumblings. Aren't we supposed to be building a nucleus moving forward? Not going to happen if you keep trying to bring in all these new pieces to play with and then get tired of them and do it all over again. DSJ is still growing and extremely young. Does Rick not have patience for him? Is Luka not meshing with him? Something has to be up. And even those 2 don't warrant him to be dealt.

And even after all that, they are not going to get some kind of haul for this young of a player that is still learning this league. No bottom feeder team is giving up a premium lottery pick either. 

There must be some butthurt over being displaced as young face of franchise. Throw in that he doesn’t seem to meld well on the floor with him and you have recipe for trade happening. 

What exactly does DSJ bring to the table for the mavs? He's a turnover machine at point guard (1.23 a/to ratio) who can't shoot well and isn't a very good fit with the current roster. For reference, Barea is 3+ ratio, Brunson 2.4, and rookie luka is 1.4. 

What exactly does DSJ bring to the table for the mavs? He's a turnover machine at point guard (1.23 a/to ratio) who can't shoot well and isn't a very good fit with the current roster. For reference, Barea is 3+ ratio, Brunson 2.4, and rookie luka is 1.4. 

Uh, he's 20 years old. Who the fuck knows what he'll eventually bring to the table. And Brunson is also a rookie.

There must be some butthurt over being displaced as young face of franchise. Throw in that he doesn’t seem to meld well on the floor with him and you have recipe for trade happening. 
So we give Luka and DSJ less than half a season together and come to the conclusion that they won't work and to trade DSJ? Seems extremely preemptive.

Giving up on a 20 year old that has not played even a season and a half seems dumb.

5 hours ago, bluto said:

This is basically it. I know someone very connected to the Mavs front office who recently had a conversation about DSJ with Rolando Blackmon, and the concern is his lack of development and more importantly his lack of fit with the rest of the team. 

The mavs don’t have a first round pick this year right? Maybe they could flip DSJ for a lottery pick this year? Luka is amazing and I can see them trying to either getting in the lottery with him or flipping him for a solid vet. Either way the foundation is beyond solid.
Solid vet? Meh. I'm not trading a 20 year old who still has the potential to be really good for a that. You go get a solid vet when you already have a great foundation in place. We don't yet. We are still in the process of building it. A solid vet can be acquired in free agency without giving up anyone.

Find it hard to think any team is giving up a other lottery pick for DSJ.

13 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Solid vet? Meh. I'm not trading a 20 year old who still has the potential to be really good for a that. You go get a solid vet when you already have a great foundation in place. We don't yet. We are still in the process of building it. A solid vet can be acquired in free agency without giving up anyone.

Find it hard to think any team is giving up a other lottery pick for DSJ.

Maybe, seems like these days it’s easy to spot who comes into the league as a future superstar and who is a good role player and that’s what DSJ seems to be. A really good athletic role player. If anything they should trade Barnes and others and go super young and build a team that can grow up with Luka.

5 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Maybe, seems like these days it’s easy to spot who comes into the league as a future superstar and who is a good role player and that’s what DSJ seems to be. A really good athletic role player. If anything they should trade Barnes and others and go super young and build a team that can grow up with Luka.

And if that is what DSJ is going to be, then there is definitely no team giving up a lottery pick for him. Especially with this draft supposedly going to be pretty rich with talent. Unless they package DSJ with some others to a haul that is worth it.

I still think they are being preemptive in wanting to move on from him. I think he can have the potential to have a solid role on what we are building. 

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

And if that is what DSJ is going to be, then there is definitely no team giving up a lottery pick for him. Especially with this draft supposedly going to be pretty rich with talent. Unless they package DSJ with some others to a haul that is worth it.

I still think they are being preemptive in wanting to move on from him. I think he can have the potential to have a solid role on what we are building. 

Well that’s been kinda the point, it’s better to flip a guy quick when the “potential” label is still there then wait till year 4 when you can’t sell that. I doubt they will but I’ve seen weirder things go down and teams trade a guy and get something great in return. 

4 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

I'm in the no trade camp for DSJ. Not enough time yet, don't want to recreate the Dirk years of one superstar and rent others. Can we build something please

That is my point. I don't want a reply of 2012 until now. Which is one star player and just keep throwing darts trying to make things fit without having any real nucleus moving forward. That is not a recipe for success. Establish a young nucleus and then try and go after the vets who can solidify the roster even more.

But trading DSJ away after drafting him in 2017 would be silly at this point. Give him and Luka time to mesh. It hasn't even been half a season. They need to be patient.

16 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Barnes is only 26.