2018 - 2019 Dallas Mavericks: Throw Some D's

CBT

1 hour ago, Get ln My Van said:

Saw a rumor that Memphis may be interested in DSJ and Wes for Mike Conley. I think that would be about as good as you could ask for.

Another one was DSJ and Wes to Chicago for Kris Dunn and Jabari Parker. Wouldn’t mind that at all.

Do not want Conley. He would probably be great for a year or two but we going to be looking for another running mate for Luka very soon under that scenario. 

Something tells me Rick would not get along with Jabari at all. I'm kind of meh on Dunn. I just don't see a great trade out there which is why this is awful timing. 

I'm hearing from Jeff 'Skin' Wade that he believes from reading the Woj/McMahon piece, he thinks this comes down to DSJ and Rick Carsisle having a personality conflict. That it has nothing to do with trying to fit this team as DSJ is all in. Which isn't surprising. Rick is not exactly a warm personality. He can wear people down. And if that is the case, that is fucking terrible. That we would get rid of a good talent because of that clash. Because trading him makes absolutely zero sense in terms of talent or fitting your scheme.

Rick is a great coach but I have always advocated getting a new voice in here as a coach once the new era begins (i.e. when Dirk retires) and that is now.

8 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

You guys have a future all world stud in Luka and if you can find a upgrade over DSJ you make that trade all day long. Finding the perfect compliment to his game is priority number 1.

This is where I'm at.  The clock got reset and now you have a guy who can be the best player on a championship team limo.  Every second needs to be used to find the best players to compliment him.

The good thing about this is they're done it before in 2011.

• Like 2

From the ringer

If the season ended today, Doncic would hold the seventh-best clutch shooting line in a single season dating back to 1996-97 (among players with at least a 30 percent usage rate in clutch situations and as many shots as Luka), which is as far back as the split goes on NBA.com/Stats:

Clutch Shooting Since 1996-97

PLAYER YEAR EFG%
PLAYER YEAR EFG%
Kevin Durant 2017-18 66.7
LeBron James 2016-17 64.4
Carmelo Anthony 2008-09 64.1
Steve Nash 2007-08 61.9
LeBron James 2017-18 61.2
LeBron James 2008-09 61.1
Luka Doncic 2018-19 60.9

12 hours ago, RexWilson said:

Another hypothetical trade I saw was with Boston. Jaylen Brown for DSJ.

I would do that trade in a heartbeat but I don't think Boston would come close to accepting that. I don't know what else we could really offer them either because it's not like they're looking to dump salary. 

This is where I'm at.  The clock got reset and now you have a guy who can be the best player on a championship team limo.  Every second needs to be used to find the best players to compliment him.

The good thing about this is they're done it before in 2011.

This front office should have at least 1 more Championship from the prime Dirk years ago and fucked those years away. I don't trust them. Donnie will fuck this up

This front office should have at least 1 more Championship from the prime Dirk years ago and fucked those years away. I don't trust them. Donnie will fuck this up
No that would be Cuban. He's the one who passed on the Greek Freak to draft some fucking spare. Donnie wanted him. Cuban didn't.

I'm still skeptical if they can build a good roster around Luka. The one thing I'll say is I think Luka will attract free agents. Dirk never did.

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 8:50 PM, LurkingHorn said:

This seems like it's way too early to give up on DSJ. Because of injuries, him and luka havent even played much together and you're also trading when he doesnt have good value. Very puzzling to me. 

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 9:02 PM, Vic Mackey said:

100% dumb. Makes zero sense at this time. As you mentioned, the 2 have played not even a half of season together and we are already going to jump ship? Seems too knee jerk.

Jesus guys, this isn't the "Mavs have given up on DSJ" or thinks he sucks.  It's clear the fit doesn't make sense, but they're still trying to make it work. It looks like DSJ isn't.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 8:46 AM, threesheets said:

If you're 100% against trading Smith then you should be calling for Rick's job, because that's where this is coming from.  He's seen enough of DSJ to know whether or not he can make it here.  And I'd bet he felt this way even before Luka.

True.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 1:29 PM, CBT said:

The Mavericks hardly ever leak stuff like this so it either came from another teams front office, or, more likely, DSJ's people. Especially given that it was Woj that broke it. 

Yep, it came from DSJ's camp.  Pretty clear.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 2:56 PM, Vic Mackey said:

I'm hearing from Jeff 'Skin' Wade that he believes from reading the Woj/McMahon piece, he thinks this comes down to DSJ and Rick Carsisle having a personality conflict. That it has nothing to do with trying to fit this team as DSJ is all in. Which isn't surprising. Rick is not exactly a warm personality. He can wear people down. And if that is the case, that is fucking terrible. That we would get rid of a good talent because of that clash. Because trading him makes absolutely zero sense in terms of talent or fitting your scheme.

Rick is a great coach but I have always advocated getting a new voice in here as a coach once the new era begins (i.e. when Dirk retires) and that is now.

He wants his players to play a certain way, and isn't asking anything more than any great coach asks for.  He's trying to coach a guy that's never really been coached before, and it's obviously ruffling DSJ.  He's not used to it.  I'd side with Rick on this every time(just like Rondo...and DSJ is nowhere near Rondo)

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 3:02 PM, CBT said:

This is a horrible idea. 

Absolutely.

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

And..... Yea.

Yeah, the Mavs have never been "Gung Ho" about trading DSJ.  They will if the right deal comes along, but not because they just want him gone...if anything it'll be a "win/win" trade with another team, where they trade a guy that they don't have a spot for or doesn't fit(like Orlando with so many Bigs) for DSJ, who as much as we want, really isn't that great with Luka on the floor.

• Like 1

If that is the case, thank god. Trading him unless you get a great return (you won't) would be so fucking stupid. It would mean the season you sucked and got the luxury of that draft pick was a waste.

If Rick can't make it work, then find a coach who can. I mean it's been how long now since the Finals? I know he's a great coach but he isn't the best for young teams. When he came here in 08, we had a veteran Kidd, Dirk and Terry. Guys who were already developed and knew the ropes. This team is the complete opposite. Our building block is 19. DSJ is young as hell, too. I believe if we had a different coach in 2015, Rondo would have worked. Yeah I know the consensus is fuck that guy but Rick will wear on certain guys. I don't agree in quitting on your team ever but it should have never gotten there. A coach has to be willing to be flexible in the guys the front office brings in. Packers finally moved on from McCarthy and that lone title was the same as the Mavs. Sometimes the message gets stale and you need a new voice. 

26 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

If that is the case, thank god. Trading him unless you get a great return (you won't) would be so fucking stupid. It would mean the season you sucked and got the luxury of that draft pick was a waste.

If Rick can't make it work, then find a coach who can. I mean it's been how long now since the Finals? I know he's a great coach but he isn't the best for young teams. When he came here in 08, we had a veteran Kidd, Dirk and Terry. Guys who were already developed and knew the ropes. This team is the complete opposite. Our building block is 19. DSJ is young as hell, too. I believe if we had a different coach in 2015, Rondo would have worked. Yeah I know the consensus is fuck that guy but Rick will wear on certain guys. I don't agree in quitting on your team ever but it should have never gotten there. A coach has to be willing to be flexible in the guys the front office brings in. Packers finally moved on from McCarthy and that lone title was the same as the Mavs. Sometimes the message gets stale and you need a new voice. 

What do you want him to do? Take the ball out of Luka's hands? That's the crux of the issue here. DSJ needs to have the ball less. He needs to play off the ball more. And he (or at least his people) don't like it and want to change teams.

Jfc I can't believe you are siding with fucking Rondo during that ordeal.

Edited by CBT
  • Like 3