2018 - 2019 Dallas Mavericks: Throw Some D's

CBT

2 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

2 1st round picks....smdh. It only took one draft for us to go back to "fuck building through the draft" mode.

KP better be healthy and better like Dallas or else this trade could backfire in a few years.

Well both these guys are unicorns.  Doncic is the best prospect since probably Lebron.  That's extremely rare...I suspect he's resigning and they don't pull the trigger without having an idea that he can still play.

1. From the moment Luka put on a uniform, I was worried we wouldn't be able to build talent around him. I'm not worried now.

2. We are no longer defendant on signing state players in free agency. Which we have no history of being able to do and which we would have had to rely on without this trade.

3. I think this will be the most entertaining this franchise has ever been.  I'm more than happy to watch this.

4. I think Luka will love this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Drew said:

Dude no...they don't make this trade if they're not trying to win.  Heck they could be pushing for a playoff spot now as I'll say Hardaway will end up being an upgrade on Mathews, and I've read that KP was close to ready but the KNicks would being cautious.

I didnt realize KP was close to being back. That's why I asked. 

2 hours ago, Drew said:

Well both these guys are unicorns.  Doncic is the best prospect since probably Lebron.  That's extremely rare...I suspect he's resigning and they don't pull the trigger without having an idea that he can still play.

Exactly.  So we gave 3 first round picks (and Dennis Smith -- will be a good player in time, but not at the level of KP or Doncic) to get Doncic and KP.  This year's pick may be lottery, but will be low.  2021 won't be lottery assuming these guys are healthy and the Mavs re-sign KP.  2023 is lottery protected (and again the Mavs should not be in the lottery, so who cares).  If you look at lottery picks over the past 2 years, how many are certifiably all-stars?  You give up 3 picks every time to get 2 all-stars

Edited by AustinMT
  • Like 1

A few thoughts.....

Donnie is a fucking ninja

If healthy they have 2 of the top 20ish players in the league both under 24.

Donnie is a fucking samurai

And this

From what I can understand this trade exception can be used at any point from today until trade deadline next year.  That's huge.

I don't think they're done

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NIUHuskies said:

I would say they are more of the Toronto Maple Leafs of the NBA.

3 hours ago, Dirk X West said:

Accurate.  Huge city/market, big money, brand name and big fanbase, but very little winning.

Ahhh.  So the Knicks are the Dallas Cowboys of the NBA.

Love love love this trade.

Edited by Jive Turkey

2 hours ago, SameSame said:

Be a shame to end up losing this one, especially to that bitch ass Griffin.

Fuck that. Tank the rest of this season. We just lost 3 of our starters. We get a player who might not even play this season. Try your hardest to keep the pick for this summer's draft. Draft has a lot of talent. Playoffs are not on the radar at all this season. Play entertaining ball and that's all I ask. I sense you will see some tanking tactics like last season.

5 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

2 1st round picks....smdh. It only took one draft for us to go back to "fuck building through the draft" mode.

KP better be healthy and better like Dallas or else this trade could backfire in a few years.

Yeah this trade is a big gamble. We are giving up a very good, young player in DSJ. Someone we thought highly of in that draft. We get a guy who is very injury prone. His production has declined in the 2nd half of every season he has played. He plays limited minutes. That tells me his body can't handle an NBA season so far. I know some will compare this to Curry and how he was injury prone but a small guard with ankle problems is not even close to the same as a big with ligament/knee problems. That is very scary. ACL injuries for big men is nothing to sneeze at. I keep seeing the accepted narrative is the Knicks got fleeced. I don't see it like that. They got rid of KP who didn't want to be here, who is hurt and just has not lived up to the hype. Have to be on the court to do this and he just hasn't consistently. They get a very good player in DSJ. Expiring contracts. They are terrible enough to get a top pick and get Zion or if not him, another top quality player to pair with DSJ. Draft picks from Dallas. And the ability to go get star players in free agency. Now time will tell if they actually get anyone. But they were going nowhere with KP. Hell DSJ might be a better player for his career than KP. 

Given that I hope we'll be out of the lottery those years and given that our non-lottery 1st round picks have been guys like Maurice Ager, Jared Cunningham, and Justin Anderson, I'm not losing too much sleep over those picks.

Just need to be smart with free agency the next two years. It'd also be nice if Hardaway starts putting up Atlanta like numbers again in a complimentary role.

• Like 2

Fuck that. Tank the rest of this season. We just lost 3 of our starters. We get a player who might not even play this season. Try your hardest to keep the pick for this summer's draft. Draft has a lot of talent. Playoffs are not on the radar at all this season. Play entertaining ball and that's all I ask. I sense you will see some tanking tactics like last season.

Doubt it. They can’t keep their pick without some massively lucky bounce if the ping pong ball, and the mavs never seem lucky in that regard.

I don’t know what the plan is but I’m not sure they’re intentionally tanking. They will play the young guys a ton more for sure and be very cautious with KP.

So tanking this year for dallas is a pick for ny?

No first available will be after the first pick is sent to ATL. First available will most likely be 2021 since you can’t tear your first round in back to back years. Unless there’s some loop hole now.

3 hours ago, RexWilson said:

Quote from an article:

If the Mavericks with cap space and playoff aspirations are a drunk at the bar, this trade took away their car keys.

what does that even mean? Don't trade for a potential generational talent in order to make a deal and get the 7-8 seed???

14 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Ahhh.  So the Knicks are the Dallas Cowboys of the NBA.

Love love love this trade.

Close, but the Cowboys have more recent success than either the Knicks or the Leafs (the Cowboys have won 4 Superbowls since the last championship for either of the other two), nor is DFW the biggest metropolis in the whole country, like NYC and Toronto are.

Edited by Dirk X West

14 minutes ago, CBT said:

Lots of Vucevic noise. God, can you image a line up of Luka (6'7), KP (7'3) and Vuc (7'0)!?!?

i would LOVE that.  but how would we get vucevic?

edit:  just realized the rumors were about FA not trade.

Edited by gsoda3

30 minutes ago, Get ln My Van said:

I’m excited about picking up Burke too. Dude can hoop a little bit.

Burke, Hardaway, and Lee can all shoot 3's (at least 34% or higher). I'm curious if Courtney Lee is actually dead or if he would be better if given some actual minutes.  Has he been hurt?

With Doncic and Porzingis as the foundation, I basically just want three point shooting, athleticism and defense from anyone else on the roster.

Yeah saw that they like Vucevic too...I thought about him when the Orlando rumors were happening. Another European and another guy that's a perfect fit for this offense and Luka.

I know a lot of "Masterplan" jokes are being made...but we are pretty darn close to having an almost all Euro/Foreign rotation.