2018 - 2019 Dallas Mavericks: Throw Some D's

CBT

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 2:40 PM, Post Oak said:

Kevin OConnor mentioned that the Suns and Mavs have been talking about possible trades.

Speculation is that DSJ is the object of interest for PHX and maybe M.Bridges plus a pick coming back.

I like Bridges...especially right next to Luka.  Good fit.

From Orlando I'd take:  Bamba or Isaac straight up.  Maybe we could get Vucevic if we paired it with Wes' expiring and Orlando has realized they can't win with him.

From Phoenix the options are much less appealing.  I guess Josh Jackson, but DSJ seems like a surer bet than he is.  Anything else from Phoenix would need to be multiple pieces or future picks, which I doubt Dallas wants.

19 minutes ago, fellside said:

Orlando has way too many bigs (Vucevic, Bamba, Isaac, Gordon, etc).  Bamba plays 16 minutes a game for them.  They start DJ Augustin at guard...

I just feel like it's something they might consider.  Helps both teams.

Not that I've followed Orlando this year, but Bamba was always going to need a couple of years before he's ready to play starter minutes.  Would be shocked if they would consider that trade.

10 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

This seems like it's way too early to give up on DSJ. Because of injuries, him and luka havent even played much together and you're also trading when he doesnt have good value. Very puzzling to me. 

100% dumb. Makes zero sense at this time. As you mentioned, the 2 have played not even a half of season together and we are already going to jump ship? Seems too knee jerk.

From MavsMoneyball

That the Mavericks are so openly willing to shop one of their few assets under 25 has understandably rankled the fanbase, including myself. That Dennis Smith and Luka Doncic have only played 27 games together (and really, just 687 minutes) is concerning. Yet in that time together, the Mavericks have a net rating of -5.0, which is not good. More importantly, Doncic and any other combination of Mavericks but Dennis Smith are +3.1.

These are not good numbers and yet it still feels premature. The combination of possible players from either the Phoenix Suns or the Orlando Magic leaves something to be desired. Adding concerns is the recent season ending injury of J.J. Barea leaves the Mavericks with few healthy rotation guards.

From Woj and Tim Mac

Dallas has sat Smith for three straight games with what the franchise has termed a sore back, but there's motivation with the organization and Smith Jr., to find a new home for him, league sources said. Smith was the No. 9 overall pick in the 2017 NBA draft.

Coach Rick Carlisle and Smith have struggled to find a common ground, league sources said. The arrival of rookie of the year favorite, Luka Doncic, has pushed Smith off the ball and changed the trajectory of his role with the team. Carlisle has often been frustrated with Smith's decision-making, league sources said.

I don't believe Dallas will be a major player in FA.  I'd want bridges or bamba(seems much less likely) but probably preferred.

I've heard all PHX cam throw in would be MILs pick which would seem to be pretty late but I would take it.  I know theyre down on JJackson too.  

I believe in Donnie to find a player late 1.

Then we still have the Wes chip too. 

Gonna be exciting

So we have 3 main assets I see that might be a match for a trade

DSJ

Wes

DaJ

I'm not sure why Deandre isn't being talked about as much.  I don't know what the market it for him but he's an expiring that is like to think someone would be interested in.

We aren't a playoff team is look to see what I could get for him.

2 hours ago, threesheets said:

If you're 100% against trading Smith then you should be calling for Rick's job, because that's where this is coming from.  He's seen enough of DSJ to know whether or not he can make it here.  And I'd bet he felt this way even before Luka.

Do you know this for a fact or are you speculating? 

1 hour ago, RexWilson said:

Bill Simmons tweeted a few days ago DSJ and Wes for Ntilikina and Hardaway Jr. I bet we could get NY to throw in their 1st too.

DSJ and Wes contracts match up for Aaron Gordon.  I think I'd do that.  He's only 23 and his contract is good.  I can only imagine the alley-oops.