2018-2019 Astros Offseason Thread

Planet Houston

As usual I don't think anyone here is really into the memorabilia game, but Tristar show is coming back up on 2/10/19 at NRG.  For Stros it looks like it is pretty weak this go round but Kemp, Marisnick, Pressly, and Corbin Martin are going to be there.  Ex Stros Don Sutton, Joe Morgan, Biggio, Clemens will also be there...as well as their kids Cavan Biggio, Kacy and Kody Clemens.  

Other non Stro related people are Big Red Machine players, Andruw Jones, Juan Marichal, handful of Texans, and ex Horn college guys, Jim Brown etc.  

Full list is here:

https://www.tristarproductions.com/schedule.html

9 minutes ago, Scraps said:

As usual I don't think anyone here is really into the memorabilia game, but Tristar show is coming back up on 2/10/19 at NRG.  For Stros it looks like it is pretty weak this go round but Kemp, Marisnick, Pressly, and Corbin Martin are going to be there.  Ex Stros Don Sutton, Joe Morgan, Biggio, Clemens will also be there...as well as their kids Cavan Biggio, Kacy and Kody Clemens.  

Other non Stro related people are Big Red Machine players, Andruw Jones, Juan Marichal, handful of Texans, and ex Horn college guys, Jim Brown etc.  

Full list is here:

https://www.tristarproductions.com/schedule.html

Definitely a weak lineup, especially compared to last year's. 

• Like 1

Astros Scouting and Player Development is Extending Team's Contention Window

By: JJ Cooper

With the Mets needing corner infield depth, the Astros sent third baseman J.D. Davis to New York on Sunday and brought back in return Luis Santana, a promising teenaged middle infield prospect who is years away from the majors.

It’s not a major trade, and if Santana (or Ross Adolph or Scott Manea) doesn’t develop, it’s very possible it’s one the Mets could win. They landed the only player in the trade who is a surefire major league player. At the worst, Davis should be a backup for the Mets this season at first and third base (and is also capable of serving as a emergency reliever as well). With his power and the improvements he made as a hitter and on defense last season at Triple-A, he could end up becoming the Mets everyday third baseman at some point.

But for now, the trade continues what has become a long-running trend for the Astros. Much like fellow third baseman Colin Moran a year ago, Davis was entirely surplus to Houston’s needs. He was never going to play extensively for a team that has better options at both corner infield spots. So, Houston traded him to acquire a younger, higher-ceiling prospect.

Houston’s scouting and player development has allowed the Astros to produce a large number of big league caliber players. They have produced large numbers of useful outfielders as well as plenty of intriguing pitching prospects. Many of them do not fit for them, but they have enough value to bring back either solid prospects or big league help in return.

Since the 2016 offseason began, the Astros have traded away 16 prospects. Some of those are very solid prospects and a few have already turned into useful big leaguers. Ramon Laureano, Colin Moran, Teoscar Hernandez and Joe Musgrove have all spent time in the majors so far. Davis, Franklin Perez, Trent Thornton, Patrick Sandoval, Jake Rogers and Daz Cameron could all play in the majors in 2019.

But the Astros have received Justin Verlander, Gerrit Cole, Ryan Pressly and Roberto Osuna in return. Those four pitchers provided 13.7 bWAR for the Astros just last season (and Pressly and Osuna only arrived at the July trade deadline). The Astros got 46.5 percent of its pitching WAR last year from players it had acquired in recent trades.

While most of the current big leaguers the Astros traded have value elsewhere, they are surplus talent for Houston.  Of the players the Astros have traded, it is hard to find many who would play a significant role for the Astros in 2019 if they had been retained. Musgrove might fit in the back of the rotation. Laureano would at least be the team’s fourth outfielder.

Notably, most of the players the Astros traded are later-round draft picks or international signees who signed for modest bonuses. Cameron was a $4 million signee as a supplemental first round pick and Gilberto Celestino and Perez each signed for $1 million or more internationally. But the Astros have also traded away two third round picks, a fifth-round pick, an eighth, an 11th, and a 16th rounder. Even as Houston’s big league success has pushed it to drafting at the back of the first round, these are the kind of picks every team can make every year.

The pattern goes back further than just the past few years. Outfielder Brett Phillips (a 2012 sixth-round pick), catcher Jacob Nottingham (a 2013 sixth-round pick) and Daniel Mengden (a 2014 fourth-round pick) all netted big league value in trades.

If the Astros can continue to develop prospects like they have in recent years, they have a renewable resource. Houston has done a very good job of scouting and developing players like Laureano (a 16th-round pick) or Martin (eighth round) or Sandoval (11th round) or Teoscar Hernandez (who signed for $20,000). As long as the Astros keep drafting and developing late-round picks like they have, they can keep turning them into useful big league help.

Next year at the deadline, the Astros will likely again have a surplus of talent available to trade. Josh James (a 34th-round pick) will likely fit into the Astros big league rotation and bullpen. Forrest Whitley is the best pitching prospect in baseball and righthanders Corbin Martin and J.B. Bukauskas are potential bullpen or rotation options as well in 2019.

But righthanders Tyler Ivey (a 2017 third-round pick), Peter Solomon (a 2017 fourth-round pick) and Brandon Bielak (a 2017 11th-round pick) have developed into solid pitching prospects who have value in trades, and who also may be surplus to the Astros needs. Similarly, the Astros have a quintet of young outfielders in Triple-A or backup roles in the majors (ranging from top prospects like Kyle Tucker and Yordan Alvarez to Derek Fisher, Tony Kemp and Myles Straw) who have value to other teams if they can’t fit into the Astros long-term plans.

At some point, the Astros will have to find ways to replace franchise cornerstones like Jose Altuve, Carlos Correa or George Springer. But the Astros' window of contention will be longer than most because they continue to find players in the later rounds of the draft they can develop into prospects other teams desire.

Whitley boner not going away.
Kaplan:

Whitley’s (off-camera) glove launch, in this case, wasn’t out of frustration but playfully directed at his training partner, Rays pitching prospect Shane Baz, who had challenged him by saying he couldn’t break 107 mph. They were throwing a three-ounce ball for the offseason drill, known as a pulldown, part of the weighted ball program of which Whitley’s a big believer.

To the more than 500,000 who watched, only the radar gun reading mattered. The video provoked Astros fans everywhere and even elicited a humorous reply from Justin Verlander. It also further fueled the massive hype around the 21-year-old Whitley, which has built gradually since Houston drafted him 17th overall in 2016.

For those who have followed Whitley’s baseball career since the beginning, the visual is a stark contrast from the freshman they knew at Alamo Heights High School. It wasn’t all that long ago he was a Whataburger-loving 15-year-old who emulated Tim Lincecum. Now he’s considered the best pitching prospect in baseball: A potential ace armed with a stunning combination of velocity and movement in his five-pitch arsenal.

On his best days, all of Whitley’s pitches can induce swings and misses. His fastball, which sits 94-96 mph, is the type of true four-seamer the Astros target, with the ride that offers hitters the illusion it’s rising. He complements it with a hammer of a curveball with tremendous depth. His circle changeup has been his best swing-and-miss pitch in the minor leagues, and he’s confident enough to throw it against both righties and lefties. Then there’s the late-breaking slider and, finally, the cutter he’s increasingly relied on since turning pro.

So how did he end up here, on the precipice of the majors merely two and a half years removed from high school? To understand Whitley’s rapid rise, one must first appreciate his incredible transformation.

Going into high school, Whitley didn’t think he had the makings of a professional baseball player. “I didn’t think I was a college baseball player,” he said. He played only for the sheer fun of it, alongside the same friends he had played with his whole life.

But so much changed in his four years at Alamo Heights. He played on the school’s freshman basketball team, and at the start of the three-month season, he was 6-foot and pudgy. By the end of it, he stood 6-foot-5 and had straightened out.

“It was the most painful experience of my life,” Whitley said. “My knees never stopped hurting.”

During his freshman baseball season, his new-found leverage on the mound didn’t translate to big velocity gains. But in his sophomore year, after he had better adjusted to his new body, the radar gun readings took off. His fastball went from hovering around 80 mph to touching 92 mph, which is when he first realized he would have a chance to pitch collegiately.

As Whitley grew, he built arm strength and learned to throw a baseball efficiently under the guidance of Smith, a chief financial officer at an insurance brokerage in San Antonio who also coaches young pitchers in the area. Smith, now 38, pitched at Division III Trinity University in San Antonio from 1999 to 2002 and became the team’s pitching coach in 2003, a position he still holds.

Whitley started working with Smith, an early adopter of weighted ball training, when he was about 13. Even back when he couldn’t break 80 mph on a crow hop, Whitley showed a “phenomenal” feel for pitching, Smith said.

“Most kids at age 13 will tell you, ‘These are my pitches that I throw,’ and most of them maybe can do one of them other than a fastball okay to well,” Smith said. “And yet (Whitley) brought five to the table, and I rolled my eyes, and sure enough all five did exactly what you would think a good pitch like that should do.”

His velocity caught up to his feel that sophomore year. Division I offers rolled in, and in the middle of his junior year he verbally committed to play at Florida State.

By the summer before 12th grade, Whitley had grown to 6-foot-7. Yet as he toured the high school showcase circuit, his diet was an absolute mess.

A typical breakfast that summer for the 17-year-old Whitley consisted of roughly five meat and cheese tacos, maybe more. For lunch, he usually ate Whataburger; he would order chicken tenders and insert them into a patty melt before scarfing the whole thing down.

“And there were also times where I would literally get like four burgers and crush ’em,” Whitley said. “And then dinner was just kind of whatever I got my hands on.

“Honestly, I’m surprised I wasn’t fatter. Now that I’m eating like a normal human being, I realize I actually have a fast metabolism. I should’ve been like 350 pounds because that’s what I was eating like.”

At the end of his stint with Team USA’s 18-and-under-team in September 2015, Whitley stepped on a scale and learned he weighed 265 pounds.

Scouting reports from various outlets at that summer’s events had already started to raise concerns about his physique.

“One of the comments that I read — that he read, too — was ‘a bad body,'” Smith said. “He took that to heart, and away he went.”

Whitley was on the 18U national team that traveled to Japan and won the 2015 WBSC World Cup. (Courtesy of USA Baseball)
With a pivotal year on the horizon, Whitley cut out fast food and started eating more at home, where his mother, Laura, cooked healthy meals for him. It didn’t take much to improve on his previous diet. “She’s an amazing cook, and she cooked really clean for me,” he said of his mom. “And then I worked out like a maniac. Every day until … I mean, I’m still doing it, so it hasn’t really stopped.”

By Christmas of his senior year, Whitley weighed about 220 pounds, a number that would drop to about 200 by the start of baseball season in February and 190 on draft day in June. Physically, he had never felt better, he said. His improved athleticism manifested itself in his performance the next time he took the mound.

Whitley’s performances throughout the summer of 2015 in the Area Code Games, the Under Armour All-American Game and with Team USA had already put him on the radar as a potential 2016 first-round pick. But about a month before his senior season and six months before the draft, he attended a showcase for scouts in Houston to show all 30 teams he had lost weight and had maintained his velocity.

When he arrived to throw at the Baseball USA facility on that January morning, the locally based area scouts and cross-checkers who assembled in the seats behind home plate didn’t recognize him.

“He was ‘the guy,’ so you’re waiting for him to come out,” said Noel Gonzales-Luna, the Astros’ South Texas area scout at the time. “And he’s on the list, which doesn’t always mean they’re going to show up. Guys can change their minds. But you’re looking for him, and you know this is a very distinguishable body type. … And we’re looking out, and we didn’t see anybody. We’re kind of disappointed, but then there’s like this other tall figure who was just a lot leaner. It was audibly being asked: ‘Is that him? Wait? No? Yeah, yeah, that’s him.’ And then he started warming up and you could see the way his arm action worked, and it was like, ‘That’s got to be him.'”

Once Whitley started his bullpen session, it was immediately evident the weight he had shed afforded him better control of his body and a more repeatable delivery. With his leaner physique, he executed his pitches at a higher rate and did so without sacrificing his power.

In fact, he threw harder than ever. Years later, Whitley refers to that day as “the best bullpen I’ve ever thrown in my life,” a session that cemented his status as an elite high school pitcher and propelled him into his senior season.

“I was like 94-97, which at that time was the hardest I had ever thrown,” he said. “My breaking pitches were good. I threw a good changeup and then flashed a cutter. So after that, my name was out there.”

In a re-draft of the 2016 class, Whitley would contend for the No. 1 selection. Nick Senzel, the infielder the Reds took second overall, is the lone player from that draft ranked ahead of Whitley on Baseball America’s most recent Top 100.

So, why did 16 teams pass on Whitley only two and a half years ago?

His profile played a role, as high school right-handers are traditionally the riskiest draft picks. High school righties are numerous, it’s difficult to discern a ton from their statistics, and their distance from the majors leaves a great deal of time for something to go wrong.

But that doesn’t tell the whole story of why Whitley fell into the Astros’ lap. After all, the Braves, Rockies and Tigers each took high-school righties within the first nine picks that June. Lingering concerns about his only recently transformed body and questions about his overall athleticism were also at play.

The Astros looked beyond those criticisms, some of which they believed to be overstated because of the changes Whitley had made. Both their scouts’ subjective view and their objective analysis from the data they collected agreed that this particular high-school righty, with his deep arsenal of power pitches, was one of the best prospects in his class.

Whitley missed the first five weeks of his senior season after breaking his left thumb on a box jump gone awry. But upon his return, the Astros were represented at a vast majority if not all of his starts. That Alamo Heights High is only a three-hour drive from Minute Maid Park made it convenient for them to scout him.

Gonzales-Luna was the team’s most frequent observer. Amateur scouting director Mike Elias, senior scouting advisor Charlie Gonzalez, national supervisor Kriss Gross and regional supervisor Ralph Bratton all went for looks, too. So did general manager Jeff Luhnow, who recalls leaving Alamo Heights thinking there was no way Whitley would be available at the Astros’ draft slot.

Elias also dispatched someone who knows a thing or two about hard-throwing Texas high school right-handers: Hall of Famer Nolan Ryan, now an executive advisor to the Astros who annually watches the state’s top arms. Baseball’s all-time strikeout leader saw Whitley in a playoff game about a month before the draft. Whitley, unaware of Ryan’s presence until after the game, pitched a no-hitter.

Whitley says he never actually saw Ryan that day. He was in such a zone that when a teammate told him between innings that Ryan was in attendance, Whitley quickly dismissed it. His parents assured him later it was true.

“He’s seen all of the big high school pitchers from Texas over the years, and Forrest was one of his favorites that he had seen,” said Elias, who led the Astros’ drafts for six years before his recent departure to become the Orioles’ GM. “(Whitley) was our guy going into the draft. It was just a matter of whether he was going to get to us.”

The measurables made the Astros only more convicted in their opinion of Whitley, who, even as a high schooler, registered impressive spin rates. They evaluated pitch-tracking data via Trackman that was available from various summer showcases and also sent staffers to collect video of Whitley on one of their high-speed cameras, which offer a much closer look at a pitcher’s grip and how the ball comes out of his hand.

“To the scouting eye he had electric stuff,” Luhnow said. “Once we were able to really analyze his stuff, our feeling was he wasn’t far from being able to polish up his skills and play at this level.”

Though Whitley and his father, Matt, had met with Elias and Gonzales-Luna during the pre-draft process, the pitcher didn’t have a sense entering draft night just how highly the Astros thought of him. The Padres, who had the eighth pick, and the Mariners, who picked at No. 11, seemed like the best bets to take him.

The Padres ended up selecting Stanford right-hander Cal Quantrill, who might have gone higher if he wasn’t coming off Tommy John surgery. The Mariners took Mercer outfielder Kyle Lewis, who had been expected to go much higher, maybe even in the top five. The Astros worried about the Rays at No. 13, but Tampa Bay took high school third baseman Josh Lowe.

At the time, the 17th overall pick the Astros held was their worst-slotted first pick of the Luhnow era. From purely a value standpoint, it might have resulted in Elias’ best pick as a scouting director.

Whitley had a strong commitment to Florida State, which is why the Astros spent about $640,000 above the slotted value to sign him at $3.148 million. He got his first exposure to pro baseball that July and August in the rookie-level Gulf Coast and Appalachian Leagues.

His quick ascent can be measured in his standing on Baseball America’s Top 100 prospects list. He was omitted from the rankings released at the end of the 2016 season and also those unveiled just before the 2017 campaign. He debuted on the 2017 midseason list, at No. 58. By January 2018, he had shot up to No. 10, the top pitcher not named Shohei Ohtani.

“You look at him now, and it really is hard to remember that there was a time where one of the concerns about him was that he was a little heavier than guys liked and that was a scouting concern,” Baseball America executive editor J.J. Cooper said. “That seems crazy now.”

Now, if everything breaks right, the Astros believe Whitley could headline their rotation in the future. Based on the quality of his pitches, their conservative projection has him as a top-15 pitcher in his prime, if he can stay healthy. Their more aggressive projection has him top five. “His stuff is that good,” said their director of player development, Pete Putila.

Whitley recorded a 2.42 ERA in six starts and 26 innings in the Arizona Fall League. (Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports)
Whitley’s advancement with his pitches has allowed him to hone his strength and conditioning. He’s also used this offseason to work on fixing minor mechanical discrepancies that the team thinks will benefit him long term. He believes the 215- to 225-pound range is ideal in order for him to be his most explosive on the mound. He entered last spring training around 190 and built himself up to 225 by the end of his stint in the Arizona Fall League. His diet last season, he said, consisted of as much red meat as possible. His love for Whataburger hasn’t subsided, but these days he confines his order to one meal.

“It’s the perfect storm if you could have a kid who at a young age knew how to pitch, knew how to make his pitches do things, loved the art of trying to get a hitter out and all of the things that make pitching great, and then grew seven inches and went from a bad body to a really great work ethic to become athletic,” said Smith, whom Whitley counts as his biggest coaching influence as a pitcher. “It’d kind of be the way you’d want to design it.”

Whitley’s physical transformation took time for the industry to fully comprehend. Once it did, his stock skyrocketed in a way that mirrored another recent high school right-hander. The late José Fernández, the 14th overall pick in the 2011 draft, went from outside the Baseball America Top 100 in his draft year to No. 5 at the end of his first full pro season.

“Not many high school pitchers are going to crack our Top 100 their draft year,” Cooper said. “That first full pro season you have, at the end of that, the résumé’s just so much stronger. One of the things we have to see is ‘How do you hold up? Can you handle a full season?’ One of the things that Forrest Whitley has handled with no issues at all, that trips up a lot of pitchers, is ‘Can you handle going from the showcase circuit, where you blow it out for a couple of innings and then you’re done for the day, and then even the high school season, where you throw one day a week generally, and go to the pro routine of every five days? Can you maintain your stuff, maintain your velocity, maintain your command and control? Or do you wear down?’ And so that first full pro season is really useful for that.”

“It’s very possible for a pitcher to go from outside (the Top 100) to top 10 in a year,” Cooper added. “What that really means is that you showed everything.”

In his breakout 2017, Whitley pitched through two levels en route to becoming the rare high school arm to reach Double A in his first full pro season. The 19-year-old’s control improved after a June switch to working exclusively out of the stretch. He finished that year with video-game-like numbers: 13.9 strikeouts per nine against 3.3 walks to go along with a 2.83 ERA in 92 1/3 innings. The hype built to a new level.

But Whitley’s progression through the minors stalled in 2018, which for him began with his 50-game suspension and later included a couple of minor injuries.

When the suspension was announced last February, Major League Baseball specified only that Whitley violated the minor-league drug prevention and treatment program. It didn’t specify a substance like it typically does, be it a banned stimulant, a performance-enhancing drug (usually 80 games) or a drug of abuse. It didn’t even note a positive test.

And Whitley has taken the stance that it’s best for him to not discuss details of the situation publicly. He has acknowledged he made a mistake, expressed his disappointment in himself and said he learned from it, but he has declined to clarify in interviews what actually happened.

The on-field result was a missed handful of starts in Double A to begin the season, though Whitley was permitted to pitch in extended spring training games at the Astros’ spring training facility in West Palm Beach, Fla., while he served his ban. A minor lat strain that he sustained lifting weights pushed his season debut back a couple weeks. An oblique strain then cost him an appearance in July’s Futures Game plus about another month of the minor-league season. A false alarm on a recurrence of his lat issue in late August combined with a cautious approach by the Astros kept him out until the Texas League playoffs in September.

All told, Whitley’s regular season consisted of only 26 1/3 innings, and he has said his top goal for 2019 is to stay healthy. He logged 26 innings more in Arizona, where he posted a 36:7 strikeout-to-walk ratio and a 2.42 ERA. “I have your starter for Sunday if you need one,” a scout friend of A.J. Hinch’s texted the Astros manager during the MLB postseason after watching Whitley strike out the first seven batters he faced in his AFL debut. While airing it out in the Fall Stars Game in November, Whitley touched 100 mph. After a trying year, his performance in the desert against fellow touted prospects reminded evaluators of his immense potential.

“I learned a lot. (The year was) just a big maturation process,” Whitley said of his 2018 late in his AFL stint. “I’d say the biggest thing I learned is just how to become a little bit more of a resilient person. That was definitely a big thing for me, not taking everything to heart so much, because life is going to happen.

“In terms of the baseball side, there was just like a small sample size of what I was able to do. But it was more on just the being-a-person side of it that I learned a lot from. A lot of people would probably categorize this year as a bad year. But this was a really good year for me. I needed it just as a person, because it definitely made me a better person and a better player.”

Though in retrospect he should have been drafted higher, Whitley has found an ideal fit in the Astros, and not just because of Houston’s proximity to his hometown. The young pitcher has been described by those close to him as cerebral and intellectually curious. The Astros have been at the forefront of using data and technology to improve their pitchers, both at the major-league level and in their development pipeline.

“I had always liked the idea (of the analytical side of baseball), but it was just raw thoughts,” Whitley said. “It wasn’t like a legitimate organized idea or something that I actually knew. I had heard about all of these things that you could use, and I thought it was so awesome that you could, so I did my best to research and understand what it would do to benefit you on the baseball field.

“The first thing I picked up on was spin rate. Because I remember I threw a game at the Tournament of Stars (in high school), and somebody was telling me my spin rates were like absurd, like higher than anybody else’s. And I was like, ‘Well, maybe that’s why I’m having success. Maybe that’s why I’m throwing more fastballs down the middle and people are just swinging and missing at ’em.’ ”

That discovery was Whitley’s initiation to analytics, into which he’s delved much deeper since becoming an Astro. After his starts, Whitley will log on to a computer and study his Trackman data, particularly the spin rates and spin directions to see if any of his pitches veered from their usual results. At least as a minor leaguer, those numbers are much more valuable to him than his ERA.

“(He) loves every aspect of it, not just the pitching part but the training to get ready for it,” Smith said. “You meet people with passion for things, and he’s at the upper echelon of people that I’ve met who have a passion for anything. And his just happens to be pitching.”

Barring another unforeseen development, Whitley’s time will come in 2019. It’s simply a matter of when. It will require management of his workload, but Astros officials haven’t shied from the notion that their top prospect will contribute this season, nor have they downplayed the buzz associated with his right arm. Just last week, the team booked Whitley as the guest on its weekly offseason radio show, a spot typically reserved for major leaguers. Fans at Pluckers, the Houston sports bar where the show is held, cheered upon his arrival.

Next month, Whitley will settle into his locker on the major-league side of the Astros’ two-year-old spring training facility in West Palm Beach. It will be his first big-league camp, the beginning of his on-field work with pitching coach Brent Strom, his first meaningful exposure to Verlander and Gerrit Cole and a precursor to the AL West power’s most anticipated debut of 2019.

“I’ve played it over in my head quite a few times,” Whitley said of his eventual call-up to the majors. “That’s going to be a very special day for me and my family, and hopefully it happens sooner rather than later.”

• Like 1

Who the hell do I complain to about scheduling this year?

Big group of buddies and I always take a day off work and go to the first weekday day game of the year, which is usually in early April.

First one this year isn't until a game against the Cubs on Monday of Memorial Day weekend. The next one after that is all the way on Thursday 6/27.

Who the hell do I complain to about scheduling this year?
Big group of buddies and I always take a day off work and go to the first weekday day game of the year, which is usually in early April.
First one this year isn't until a game against the Cubs on Monday of Memorial Day weekend. The next one after that is all the way on Thursday 6/27.

Twins, Royals and White Sox are our only middle of the week Home series before the Memorial Day game you call out.
I don’t blame them for wanting to put those series at night to pull in as many fans as possible.

3 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Twins, Royals and White Sox are our only middle of the week Home series before the Memorial Day game you call out.
I don’t blame them for wanting to put those series at night to pull in as many fans as possible.

it's still before school lets out too.  i would think the more rare/more fun day game would draw a bigger crowd than just another midweek night game, especially against shitty teams.  of course i have no data to back that up.