2018-2019 Astros Offseason Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

i would assume they want this to be a yearly event.  this would make more sense, if they're saving someone like roy-o to headline the 2020 induction.  definitely seems like too many for year 1.  should've done the jerseys, then in year 2, done the texas ave guys.

Yeah. It’s not like this is the one and only group to be inducted. I mean, on that note, why single out Oswalt? What about Berkman?

Strange gripe.

5 hours ago, formermav43 said:

those who have been honored on the Walk of Fame along Texas Ave. -- former players Joe Morgan, Bob Aspromonte, Joe Niekro, J.R. Richard and Shane Reynolds and broadcasters Gene Elston and Milo Hamilton.”

Before my time, so I looked him up -- utility player with career WAR of 1.1.  So basically, Houston's version of Willie Bloomquist. 

• Like 1

Berkman only had 12 seasons of playing at least 110 games (2000-2011). If he'd have had 3 more full, healthy years, he'd be firmly in the HOF discussion. That would have pushed him easily over 2,000 hits and 400 HR and at about 70 WAR. He only played in about 100 games his last 2 years combined (age 36-37). 

Unless you are Koufax or Trout, it is nearly impossible to be a HOFer in 12 years. 

Saw him at Dell Diamond yesterday and he still looked way too scrawny to me but anything is better than last year, I suppose.

Kalas asked him about it in a Q&A and he gave a very non-chalant, boring answer (as you’d come to expect by now with him ): “yep, offseason is good. Working out. Trying to bulk up. I’d say it’s working”

Awkward ‘not-sure-if-serious’ laughter by everyone in the room.

15 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Saw him at Dell Diamond yesterday and he still looked way too scrawny to me but anything is better than last year, I suppose.

Kalas asked him about it in a Q&A and he gave a very non-chalant, boring answer (as you’d come to expect by now with him 😞 “yep, offseason is good. Working out. Trying to bulk up. I’d say it’s working”

Awkward ‘not-sure-if-serious’ laughter by everyone in the room.

"way too scrawny" like Sale or nah?

18 hours ago, texashorne said:

As time keeps ticking on, anyone think we negotiate with Keuchel?

fwiw...

Astros 'still have interest' in Keuchel deal

Fancred's Jon Heyman writes that the Astros "still have interest in bringing back" free agent starter Dallas Keuchel.

It's been an extremely slow-going winter for Keuchel, who has been tied to several teams but doesn't seem close to finding a landing spot with the end of January fast approaching. Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reported earlier this month that Keuchel turned down a five-year, $90 million contract extension from the Astros back in 2016. The 31-year-old left-hander also rejected a one-year, $17.9 million qualifying offer from Houston this past November.

9 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

More on Berkman:

He was a fantastic hitter. Underrated. Just didn't hang on quite long enough. Jaffe has found that it is damn near impossible to get in with fewer than 2000 hits. 

Jim Edmonds, Kenny Lofton, Lou Whitaker, Kevin Brown, Carlos Delgado are some others who dropped off after 1st ballot and could make a reasonable case to be elected. I can't say Berkman has a better case than those guys, but he is in that group I think.

(God I'm still sick that Lofton wasn't in Houston sharing his prime years with Bagwell and Biggio. He may have been the guy to push those late-90s teams over the top. He was a great player. Ugh. Just a horrible trade.) 

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

(God I'm still sick that Lofton wasn't in Houston sharing his prime years with Bagwell and Biggio. He may have been the guy to push those late-90s teams over the top. He was a great player. Ugh. Just a horrible trade.) 

https://climbingtalshill.com/2016/08/21/astros-worst-trades-3-kenny-lofton-trade/