Obamacare premiums to be cheaper this year than last year

Horn Under a Bad Sign

Finally stabilizing.

“There’s been a lot of tumult under the ACA up till now,” says Larry Levitt, a senior vice president at the Kaiser Family Foundation. “But there’s no question it’s viable, in the face of significant headwinds. The ACA is embedded in the health care system.”

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/obamacare-finally-working-republicans-still-want-kill-125728257.html

Funny how there are more low cost options and non ACA compliant plans one can now buy (that were illegal under threat of penalty before TRu)........ and the premiums hit the brakes. What changed?  

The current administration stopped the runaway unchecked monopoly destined to bankrupt the middle class

• Like 2

This is a smoke screen. $5-$10K deductibles, and 20-25% premium increases far outweigh this measly reduction in costs.

PRO TIP: Those reductions still don't approach the $2,500 Mr. Obama said would be in everyones stew pot .. along with the proverbial chicken ...pox.....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I don't object to the higher deductibles, I guess.  It's the way "health insurance" ought to work.

I do object to the fact that I pay more in premium than I did when I actually had some coverage instead of just a $14,000 annual backstop.

I object to higher premiums on that scale when premium rates increase the way they have.  Ya might as well just pay the fine, and visit the emergency room when you get sick.  It's a placebo of false coverage right now.  

The way to control cost is to make the cost of an aspirin $3.00 instead of $50.00

• Like 1

Here's how I'd fix health care in the US:

1. Get rid of ACA and force people to get health insurance through their workplace again
  2. Make sure small businesses can once again never afford to offer health care, funneling the labor force to larger corporations
  3. Subsidize farming heavily so that even the poorest Americans have access to cheap, empty calories. Conversely, make sure healthy food is really expensive
  4. Once most Americans are overweight and have adult-onset diabetes, turn doctors into pushers for their expensive pharmaceuticals that manage those conditions
  5. Lock down our borders and make sure Americans can't bring back affordable medicine from Canada or Mexico
  6. Cut Medicare and Medicaid in order to transfer wealth from the poor and elderly over to the wealthy

Republicans, cross check me on this -- do I have it right? Am I missing anything? Wait, I am! We need a little help from the left in order to completely fuck over Americans...

7. Start accusing anyone actually addressing our obesity crisis of body shaming

Yep, now we're fucked real good.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, ndawg said:

Here's how I'd fix health care in the US:

1. Get rid of ACA and force people to get health insurance through their workplace again
  2. Make sure small businesses can once again never afford to offer health care, funneling the labor force to larger corporations
  3. Subsidize farming heavily so that even the poorest Americans have access to cheap, empty calories. Conversely, make sure healthy food is really expensive
  4. Once most Americans are overweight and have adult-onset diabetes, turn doctors into pushers for their expensive pharmaceuticals that manage those conditions
  5. Lock down our borders and make sure Americans can't bring back affordable medicine from Canada or Mexico
  6. Cut Medicare and Medicaid in order to transfer wealth from the poor and elderly over to the wealthy

Republicans, cross check me on this -- do I have it right? Am I missing anything? Wait, I am! We need a little help from the left in order to completely fuck over Americans...

7. Start accusing anyone actually addressing our obesity crisis of body shaming

Yep, now we're fucked real good.

Such a waste of 1's and 0's  ^^^^ 

The law as written was so bad nobody knew what the fuck was in it. From crazy Nancy right on thru Mr. Obama, who sure as shit didn't, based on his oft told lie about keeping your doctor and getting a $2,500 rebate every year. I booked vacations based on that promise.... siiiiiiigh.......

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

The good news is that the Democrats are going to fix healthcare in 2020.  Just like they did back in 2010. 

You may have already answered this question with that profit-margin graphic, but who would you say is the biggest impediment to a system where everyone could get affordable healthcare and insurance?

If you got all of them in a room to work out the details, which ones would walk out? Which ones would basically say "screw you, I'm going to get my profits and I hope it all works out for you"?

Hospitals, pharma, devices, insurance companies. doctors, lobbyists, etc. 

1 minute ago, retread said:

You may have already answered this question with that profit-margin graphic, but who would you say is the biggest impediment to a system where everyone could get affordable healthcare and insurance?

If you got all of them in a room to work out the details, which ones would walk out? Which ones would basically say "screw you, I'm going to get my profits and I hope it all works out for you"?

Would you take the profit motive out of the medical industry ? 

We've had this discussion on several threads. America is more into I Got Mine than don't ask what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. Maybe that's the bottom line.

No. Profit motive will always be there.

Edited by retread

2 minutes ago, retread said:

We've had this discussion on several threads. America is more into I Got Mine than don't ask what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. Maybe that's the bottom line.

No. Profit motive will always be there.

Show me a developed countries whose citizens aren't into the I want mine mentality ?  We're not unique in that respect.

Part of the reason millions of Americans aren't into what can you do for your country is our country wastes the vast amounts of dollars we send them, and still they clamor for more.  If actual results were seen that might change, but as it stands now that's not happening.

So do you cap profits ?  That seems a concept to investigate.  It has to start with the cost of a medical degree. 

20 minutes ago, retread said:

The inertia of the existing system is the biggest impediment.  You have an industry that touches a wide range interests that entrench themselves when the status quo is challenged.  And some of those interests have very deep pockets and strong effective presence in DC (#bothsides for real). In addition, you have a big block of older voters who are going to wig the fuck out when you make the type of major changes to the public healthcare schemes that are required. Designing a functional healthcare system that would work for all Americans, bend cost trends, backstop catastrophic health events, and improve health related outcomes is not hard.  Navigating our political dysfunction to implement it is quite another thing.

39 minutes ago, retread said:

If you got all of them in a room to work out the details, which ones would walk out?

None of them will walk out. They all want to be involved in whatever "healthcare reform" initiative comes about to influence the process.

44 minutes ago, retread said:

Hospitals and facilities take the largest chunk of the health care dollar, to the tune of double the next largest chunk, which is providers. And judging by the spate of construction lately, are making a tidy profit 

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Hospitals and facilities take the largest chunk of the health care dollar, to the tune of double the next largest chunk, which is providers. And judging by the spate of construction lately, are making a tidy profit 

Is that true?   I was under the impression that pharma ultimately takes home the most revenue.  And I’m counting the revenue they earn through the hospitals as well.

Yeah, how about deductibles and out-of-pocket maximums for family plans hasn't come down that much? 

This sounds like Austin logic.  Hey, housing costs are down 10% across town---we're more affordable!  Meanwhile, property taxes, utilities, water, and city fees are up 25%.  

Maths.  How do they work?  

9 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

American business just got some sweet welfare from R's that knocked their taxes down 40%, make those fuckers offer healthcare plans.

The daughter works for Capitol one, she's seeing $200 a month since the tax cuts went into affect.

And we had among the highest corp. tax rates in the industrialized world didn't we ?

• Like 1

On 10/20/2018 at 10:27 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Is that true?   I was under the impression that pharma ultimately takes home the most revenue.  And I’m counting the revenue they earn through the hospitals as well.

Yes it is.

• Percent of national health expenditures for hospital care: 32.4% (2016)
  • Percent of national health expenditures for nursing care facilities and continuing care retirement communities: 4.9% (2016)
  • Percent of national health expenditures for physician and clinical services: 19.9 (2016)
  • Percent of national health expenditures for prescription drugs: 9.8% (2016)

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/health-expenditures.htm

Pharma deserves a ration of abuse, but they get hung with a lot of shit they dont actually do.

33 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yes it is.

• Percent of national health expenditures for hospital care: 32.4% (2016)
  • Percent of national health expenditures for nursing care facilities and continuing care retirement communities: 4.9% (2016)
  • Percent of national health expenditures for physician and clinical services: 19.9 (2016)
  • Percent of national health expenditures for prescription drugs: 9.8% (2016)

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/health-expenditures.htm

Pharma deserves a ration of abuse, but they get hung with a lot of shit they dont actually do.

A little more.  Almost all pharmaceutical companies have distasteful if not unethical marketing practices.  But the ones who do research and get patents generally aren't the ones selling opiates and aren't gouging markets ala Shkreli and some other micropharma arbitrage shops.  Glaxo =/= Purdue Pharma =/= Turing or Mylan.  Indeed, generic manufacturers are among the worst offenders in terms of price gouging and really nasty marketing practices.

Edited by TwiceHorn

On October 20, 2018 at 9:29 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Such a waste of 1's and 0's  ^^^^ 

The law as written was so bad nobody knew what the fuck was in it. From crazy Nancy right on thru Mr. Obama, who sure as shit didn't, based on his oft told lie about keeping your doctor and getting a $2,500 rebate every year. I booked vacations based on that promise.... siiiiiiigh.......

People like me who were insured through their employer, were able to keep their doctors. To the millions without access to health care, they probably didn't have a doctor, other than the emergency room doc.

Thank God.  Now I’ll stop having morbidly obese idiots in red hats bitch about Obamacare...usually while I’m sitting in a care plan with a SW, who told me they have coverage thanks to Obamacare.  

In IL these morons would have public aid.  Very few doctors take public aid in IL. Try billing $90 and getting paid $6 12 months later.  No thanks.  

Anyways, thanks for posting OP...I’m relieved.  Now I only need to explain how said patient bears some of the responsibility of morphing into a beached whale with CHF/COPD/HLP/HTN/ESRD...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well except it'd a dirty fucking lie.  Cheapest plan available now is $1540 for two.  Up $400 this year alone.

It has now officially doubled in cost in five years.  Fuck you all you fucking DC pigs.  Right in your dirty assholes.  Donkey pigs for passing it in the first place, Elephant pigs for not fixing it.  Fucking pigs.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well except it'd a dirty fucking lie.  Cheapest plan available now is $1540 for two.

It has now officially doubled in cost in five years.  Fuck you all you fucking DC pigs.  Right in your dirty assholes.

Looks like my premiums, as an independent consultant, are going to go down about 3%. 

Still a rip off.

Our plans premium increased 336 dollars from 2018s "gold plan"

Had our baby in june so looking at the bronze for 2019..4500 deductible vs the golds 2000..but almost 530 dollars/mo less.

Moms going on medicare in may so that should help a lot. But still...she hasnt had a claim since having me in 1985

On 10/20/2018 at 7:12 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

The concept ?  No.   The actual law ??  Right up their with interment camps for the Japanese.  Both brought to you by those fine folks at the liberal wing of the DNC.

Actually the liberal wing of the Republican party came up with it. Obamacare resembles Romneycare. What's wrong with it is due to defering to Republican histrionics.

What's good about it even Trump (fallaciously) defends. 

We're headed to Canadian style health care. Sorry but get used to it.

Of course you can still steal elections and destroy rationalism with Trump if you feel so inclined to bankrupt yourself as a senior citizen and die 10 years earlier than you should.