Kicking the FG Instead of Going For it on 4th

Vic Mackey

The D sucks. It was thin and young to begin with and it got thinner and younger as the night went on. Up 4 was clearly not worth shit 

Should Herman have known that? Yeah. Probably. I think the main culprit for this L is the defensive recruiting and coaching. Texas should be 8 deep at D line and in the secondary at all times and they aren't there yet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tx_2_Sc85 said:

And as the head coach you should know that your defense sucks ass and make decisions accordingly. He should’ve gone for it and if he had it to do again he would 100%. He’s got to quit coaching not to lose all the damn time. We’ve been lucky to win as many games as we have this year with that mentality. And that mentality is why teams like KSU, Tulsa, OU, and Baylor were able to claw back into it. 

Dude, playing conservative? We just scored 41 points on a team giving up 19.6 on the season. He kicked a FG to go up by 7 after previously failing on 4th and 1 on the last drive. Fucking bitch about something actually worth bitching about. Like trying to ice a kicker at half time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Texas25 said:

Dude, playing conservative? We just scored 41 points on a team giving up 19.6 on the season. He kicked a FG to go up by 7 after previously failing on 4th and 1 on the last drive. Fucking bitch about something actually worth bitching about. Like trying to ice a kicker at half time.

I still didnt like the FG decision but that was a big mistake before the half and it cost us 3 points.

3 minutes ago, Texas25 said:

Yes, it’s a conservative call to not go for it on 4th and less than a yard when the only times the defense has held them was when they shot themselves in the foot. To put the game in your defenses hands at that point in the game with the way things were playing out was wrong and absolutely conservative. And let’s not act like we had an automatic 3 from deciding to take the dog because it’s not like Dicker has been automatic this season. 

it's like Herman hasn't realized that this year's D sucks.  Las week he should have taken the ball to start the game. tonight he should have realized that we need all the points we can get. and that was the first opportunity to get up by 2 scores.  

wvu gambled and went for 2, we played it safe and lost

But, just don't know how you can let a guy beat double coverage deep with :17 left on the clock

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, txbroadcaster said:

That first 4th and short was going to be marked short no matter the helmet it or not. They even told Herman the helmet was not the reason. 

Exactly.  Not sure why the official mentioned the helmet on the replay explanation.

He was clearly down with the ball outside the 4 yard line.

The helmet was irrelevant.

6 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

it's like Herman hasn't realized that this year's D sucks.  Las week he should have taken the ball to start the game. tonight he should have realized that we need all the points we can get. and that was the first opportunity to get up by 2 scores.  

But, just don't know how you can let a guy beat double coverage deep with :17 left on the clock

Everyone seems to keep forgetting...if he would have kicked the FG on the drive that they stopped us then UT has 3 more points in hand

• Like 1

Everyone seems to keep forgetting...if he would have kicked the FG on the drive that they stopped us then UT has 3 more points in hand

What killed us was coming away with 3 points on the first two possessions of the second half. Getting inside the opponents 10 yard line twice and coming away with 3 points was shit. I knew that was going to come back to haunt us.

Also, our last scoring drive, the bomb to Duvernay was nice and all but we left what, 2:40 on the clock? Should have ground that drive out and burned clock. That’s way too much time to leave for WV.

Herman is not a smart coach. He needs to improve his football IQ.

Just now, Vic Mackey said:

Are you talking about the drive where we picked up the 1st down on 3rd and 4th to start the 3rd qtr? And we came away with zero?

I am talking about the helmet coming off drive....If he had played it safe and kicked the FG Texas would have been up 10 when WVU took over the ball with 2:30 left. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alphahorn said:

lolwhat? The D sucks so you take a chance on not getting any points and watching the Drunken Holgos skullfuck you for 98 yards? So dumb. Kicking that FG was 100% the right call. 

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

But we picked up the first down on both 3rd and 4th.

So why did he change his mind and pussy out and kick the FG?

Clearly you are incorrect:

3rd & 4 at WVU 8
(10:30 - 3rd) Sam Ehlinger pass complete to Collin Johnson for 3 yds to the WVirg 5

4th & 1 at WVU 5
(9:53 - 3rd) Sam Ehlinger run for no gain to the WVirg 5 Turnover on downs
3rd & 15 at WVU 35
(10:17 - 4th) Sam Ehlinger run for 14 yds to the WVirg 21

4th & 1 at WVU 21

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

But we picked up the first down on both 3rd and 4th.

So why did he change his mind and pussy out and kick the FG?

He did not pussy out...he played the percentages in both drives...First go for it was actually a good time to be aggressive in a game you think is going to be a shootout and you do not want to trade 7 points for 3.

Second 4th down way different scenario. 3 points making it a 7 point lead is an easy choice all day every day because if they score a TD and kick xo worst that can happen is it be tied. 

• Like 2

Even if we go for it, why are you guys assuming we would have scored?  That drive was going backwards before the FG.  it was fucking 3rd and 19 and we were looking to punt.  I can see why Herman took the points there when the opportunity presented itself.  Not getting any points on the drive where Sam's helmet came off hurt us more than getting 3 points on this drive.  I swear you guys pick the stupidest points to bitch about.  We lost the last 2 games because our defense has major fucking problems right now.  We had a top 15 team with a Heisman QB on the ropes with 20 seconds left on the clock with 40 yards to go.  Our idiot DC called shitty play after shitty play.  We let them complete a 40 yard bomb with fucking 20 seconds.  Let that sink in.  Fucking play prevent defense if you have to.... it would have been better than the shitty play call.  That is what lost us this game.  not this stupid fucking FG.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

When  it was 4th and less than a yard. Fucking stupid. They are not stopping us for less than a yard. Keep the chains moving and punch that in for a TD to give us an 11pt lead. But instead we kicked a FG. I don't get it. Grow some fucking balls.

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

The issue is within context of the game, we convert, we probably go on to score 7 and it’s a 2 score game with about 10 minutes to go.  It wasn’t the only call that cost us the game but it was a weak decision.  It was a Jason Garrett decision. 

How about the TO TH called when WVA missed the field goal then they successfully rekicked it. Even Joel Kaat (Announcer) said that could come back to haunt UT. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, victory88 said:

Can't blame Herman there.  A FG gives a 7 point lead.  We had already not converted one of our previous 4th and 1 plays.  We had the fucking lead with 20 seconds left and gave up a damn 30-40 yard TD pass.  That's on Orlando and the defense.  WVU is a good team.  Also, if he goes for it and doesn't get it, people will bitch that he didn't take the points.  People bitched all last season that he would always go for it on 4th down and leave points.  We have a lot to bitch about in this game but I'm not going to bitch about Herman kicking a FG to give us a 7 point lead.  Hell you can make the case that had he kicked the FG prior where Ehlinger's helmet came off, that we win this game.  

DH made the right call on the 2 point conversion when on the road. Our D wasn’t fucking ready.   

13 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Even if we go for it, why are you guys assuming we would have scored?  That drive was going backwards before the FG.  it was fucking 3rd and 19 and we were looking to punt.  I can see why Herman took the points there when the opportunity presented itself.  Not getting any points on the drive where Sam's helmet came off hurt us more than getting 3 points on this drive.  I swear you guys pick the stupidest points to bitch about.  We lost the last 2 games because our defense has major fucking problems right now.  We had a top 15 team with a Heisman QB on the ropes with 20 seconds left on the clock with 40 yards to go.  Our idiot DC called shitty play after shitty play.  We let them complete a 40 yard bomb with fucking 20 seconds.  Let that sink in.  Fucking play prevent defense if you have to.... it would have been better than the shitty play call.  That is what lost us this game.  not this stupid fucking FG.  

It was 3rd and 15 after a holding call got them to 1st and 20.  The drive went 59 yards.  We rushed for 71 yards on the drive (remember we had a holding penalty) on 8 attempts or almost 9 yards per rush.  We were killing them on the ground that specific drive.  But you're right, you begin with poor assumptions, you come to poor conclusions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Panama Red said:

Also, our last scoring drive, the bomb to Duvernay was nice and all but we left what, 2:40 on the clock? Should have ground that drive out and burned clock. That’s way too much time to leave for WV.

Exactly, I thought we would continue to chew clock and go for a field goal. As soon as he scored and I looked at the clock, you knew it was too much time left for WV. And as soon as they scored, you knew they were going to go for 2 and at least in my household, all of us called the QB run. Dana played it perfect.

I'm really, really happy with the team.. they are playing way better than I would have thought going into the season. But Tom and Todd both got played by better coaches these last two games. Tom will learn from it, but it sucks when we think how close we were and what could have been. 

Still bowl eligible, we get extra practice. We have two really hard games coming up with Texas Tech and Iowa State. We need to snap back and for pete's sake, let's play with a bit more aggression. If not, we could very well be looking at a 4 game losing streak.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, NameWithHeld said:

DH made the right call on the 2 point conversion when on the road. Our D wasn’t fucking ready.   

yes they were, Herman said they talked about it during the timeout, if the slant wasn't there the qb would run and our freshman got sucked inside and held but no way they're calling it.

22 minutes ago, NameWithHeld said:

Graham made a terrible inside move at first, ugh, awful, when he thought Grier was going center or right.  But then Grier shifted quickly to the left, Graham was in a terrible position, he got spun around and by then it was too late.

But the worst one was McCullough.  His first step at the snap was back, then he also got suckered inside.  When the play developed, you could see he was the slot guy, had that gap.  If he would have stayed there it would have been a lot closer.  But he drifted WAY too fucking far inside and got completely screened by the scrum.  He lost sight of Grier and didn't regain it until Grier clearly had the angle.  Man all he would have had to do is to stay put and it was a different story.

By the way, I didn't see any holding on that play, at least to the left side of the O.  Texas' guys were clearly fooled  - again - and beaten.

But I'm not centering on that play.  The defense was getting tooled all day just like that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, txbroadcaster said:

And?  That has zero to do with the later decision to kick the FG.  Unless you assume that curling up in the fetal position because an earlier 4th and 1 went sideways.  We were kicking the living shit out of them on that drive, Johnson and Klatt kept commenting on our OL domination on that drive.  How many of you thought our defense was up to the task of stopping them?  How many of you thought Holgorsen would kick the PAT?  

27 minutes ago, DreadHead said:

Exactly, I thought we would continue to chew clock and go for a field goal. As soon as he scored and I looked at the clock, you knew it was too much time left for WV. And as soon as they scored, you knew they were going to go for 2 and at least in my household, all of us called the QB run. Dana played it perfect.

I'm really, really happy with the team.. they are playing way better than I would have thought going into the season. But Tom and Todd both got played by better coaches these last two games. Tom will learn from it, but it sucks when we think how close we were and what could have been. 

Still bowl eligible, we get extra practice. We have two really hard games coming up with Texas Tech and Iowa State. We need to snap back and for pete's sake, let's play with a bit more aggression. If not, we could very well be looking at a 4 game losing streak.

Can't wait to see what all Tom Herman recruit-built team looks like.

Our QB room alone went from what the fuck to stacked.