Kicking the FG Instead of Going For it on 4th

Vic Mackey

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

When  it was 4th and less than a yard. Fucking stupid. They are not stopping us for less than a yard. Keep the chains moving and punch that in for a TD to give us an 11pt lead. But instead we kicked a FG. I don't get it. Grow some fucking balls.

they already stopped us on 4th and less than a yard, we cannot count on our oline to push anyone 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

When  it was 4th and less than a yard. Fucking stupid. They are not stopping us for less than a yard. Keep the chains moving and punch that in for a TD to give us an 11pt lead. But instead we kicked a FG. I don't get it. Grow some fucking balls.

Did you maybe miss the previous drive where they "stopped" us on 4th and 1?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 4th&Five said:

Agree. I was pretty sure we’d lose at that point. Holgo has giant balls compared to Tom. 

This.  If you saw it on TV you saw that Rapey said they had practiced that play and situation all week, he knew the game would be close.  He prepped them left, right, and sideways mentally for a "go for it" score during the week.  That's good coaching, I don't care if he is a fat slob. 

Can't blame Herman there.  A FG gives a 7 point lead.  We had already not converted one of our previous 4th and 1 plays.  We had the fucking lead with 20 seconds left and gave up a damn 30-40 yard TD pass.  That's on Orlando and the defense.  WVU is a good team.  Also, if he goes for it and doesn't get it, people will bitch that he didn't take the points.  People bitched all last season that he would always go for it on 4th down and leave points.  We have a lot to bitch about in this game but I'm not going to bitch about Herman kicking a FG to give us a 7 point lead.  Hell you can make the case that had he kicked the FG prior where Ehlinger's helmet came off, that we win this game.  

Edited by victory88
  • Like 9

That was a terrible decision and the only one I really had a problem with all game other than some playcalls down at the goalline. As the head coach you need to understand who your team is and his team is a defensive shitshow right now....for whatever reason. So for him to think that we were gonna stop them late in the game was a head scratcher. He’s a super conservative coach and that shit doesn’t work when you have a shitty defense in an offensive conference. That was definitely a pussy move. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Did you maybe miss the previous drive where they "stopped" us on 4th and 1?

If it comes down to keeping Sam’s helmet on versus betting on our defense in a two point conversion attempt, give me the former every time. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Can't blame Herman there.  A FG gives a 7 point lead.  We had already not converted one of our previous 4th and 1 plays.  We had the fucking lead with 20 seconds left and gave up a damn 30-40 yard TD pass.  That's on Orlando and the defense.  WVU is a good team.  Also, if he goes for it and doesn't get it, people will bitch that he didn't take the points.  People bitched all last season that he would always go for it on 4th down and leave points.  We have a lot to bitch about in this game but I'm not going to bitch about Herman kicking a FG to give us a 7 point lead.  Hell you can make the case that had he kicked the FG prior where Ehlinger's helmet came off, that we win this game.  

We only didn't convert because of a goofy fucking helmet off rule. That was the drive we needed to put that game away. Making it 7 does not do that. They erased a 7pt deficit twice in 5min.

1 minute ago, hookem48 said:

yea that was it, not the defense

Does that not go into the decision? You know your defense is suspect and has injuries. All the more the reason to go for it. What do you have more confidence in, us gaining less than a yard or our defense making a play?

Just now, ioueleventybilliondollars said:

This is just stupid. There's no guarantee TX gets a fist down. There's no guarantee TX scores a TD even if they get a first down.

If you don’t get it then it doesn’t matter anyway because under no circumstances was THAT defense stopping WV. 

The same WV that Iowa fucking State held to 152 yards a couple weeks ago. 

1 minute ago, cafe society said:

Just because Orlando's D has gotten gashed two weeks in a row doesn't remove responsibility for a terrible decision from Herman.  What, all of a sudden our matador defense was going to become the'85 Bears?  

which is why you go up 7.

1 minute ago, Michael Knight said:

Next you'll complain we scored too fast

Lulz wut? These 2 are in no way correlated and you make no fucking sense. I want to be as aggressive as possible. Going or it all when we scored was the right call. Just as sacking up and going for it on 4th is a similar call. You know, like WV did by going for it on the 2pt conversion. 

1 minute ago, ioueleventybilliondollars said:

And these same WV offense that scored 0 points in the 3rd qtr.

You mean the quarter we held the ball for probably 10 minutes or so? And then they scored in like 15 seconds after the 4th started.....

But hey we stopped them that one time. 

Just now, Texas25 said:

The DEFENSE giving up 42 FUCKING POINTS cost us the game numb nuts

And as the head coach you should know that your defense sucks ass and make decisions accordingly. He should’ve gone for it and if he had it to do again he would 100%. He’s got to quit coaching not to lose all the damn time. We’ve been lucky to win as many games as we have this year with that mentality. And that mentality is why teams like KSU, Tulsa, OU, and Baylor were able to claw back into it. 

• Like 2