Kicking the FG Instead of Going For it on 4th

Vic Mackey

1 minute ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Question as I was a little drinked at the time....

Was the 4th down review already in process when Beuchele fumblefucked his way back to the bench to get his helmet, or did this extra 15 seconds or so give the refs time to think about a review?  I can't recall.

If I remember correctly, they had called the first down on the field then Sam came off because his helmet was off. Shane rushed to get his helmet and ran onto the field. Then they decided to review the play. The review was not in process when Shane rushed onto the field.

1 minute ago, BurntEyes said:

In 10 years or less, on 4th and short inside the opposing 50, all coaches will go for it rather than punt or take the 3.

It's the smart, numerically sound coaching choice.

In this case, it Mensa didn't know that reality or was to chicken shit to go for it despite overwhelming evidence that supported that choice.

Agreed. Had the FG made it a 2 score game, then sure, go for the FG. Or if there was very little time left. But the difference between a 4 and 7pt lead in this type of game? Meaningless. Especially with that much time left. Hell we already saw the 7pt lead he wanted meant jack shit because Dana had no intentions of playing for OT. 

Dana also went for it on 4th in that game. We stuffed them but there's was a full 2 yards. Ours was inches to gain. You line up and kick their ass and get the short yardage. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Yet if he had kicked the FG inside the 5, Texas would have won the game. You never chase points in the fucking 3Q, especially since WVU was keying on QB power, and the Texas interior OL was losing the LOS the entire game in the run game.

We got the ball back on the 45 and scored after that.  Field position matters and that is why teams go for it at the 5 but not at the 20, where field position can be flipped with a first down or a good punt.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

In 10 years or less, on 4th and short inside the opposing 50, all coaches will go for it rather than punt or take the 3.

It's the smart, numerically sound coaching choice.

In this case, it Mensa didn't know that reality or was to chicken shit to go for it despite overwhelming evidence that supported that choice.

Just like deferring after winning the coin toss. How has that ever worked out for us? Play to win the motherfucking game. We could be in the driver's seat for the Big 12 title game, but we had to fuck up a win. 

7 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

If I remember correctly, they had called the first down on the field then Sam came off because his helmet was off. Shane rushed to get his helmet and ran onto the field. Then they decided to review the play. The review was not in process when Shane rushed onto the field.

The officials stopped the clock to measure, which I was cheering because I thought it meant Sam would not have to sit out a play. It would have been nice had Vahe not been drive 3 yards backwards and tripped Sam as he had to cut up field to avoid running right into him.

19 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Question as I was a little drinked at the time....

Was the 4th down review already in process when Beuchele fumblefucked his way back to the bench to get his helmet, or did this extra 15 seconds or so give the refs time to think about a review?  I can't recall.

They were going to fuck us no matter what.

12 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Jesus if we had gone for it and not made it you same people bitching about not going for it would be raising hell about the decision to go for it.

The amount of people who base decisions based solely on the results of those decisions are maddening. 

The bottom line is in the vast majority of situations for the vast majority of teams, going for it on 4th and 3 or less when in the opponent's territory is almost always the play to maximize your chance of winning the football game.

• Like 1

Herman not going for it makes the statement - "I trust our defense".  This concerns me more than anything.
So does going for it - in in the event you don't get the conversion you only have a four point lead in what has been a shootout. You're saying that you trust then enough that if we don't get this I'm confident you can get a stop and bail us out. If anything, the FG shows less confidence because you aren't willing to take your (fairly good) chances at a fourth down conversion due to the fact that you absolutely do not trust them with a cushion less than seven points.

I'd probably have gone for it. Between the decent chance of conversion and eventual TD I think it's worth the risk of walking away with nothing and pinning the opponent on the five. That said, I don't think taking the points for a 7 point lead is a bad move.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

So does going for it - in in the event you don't get the conversion you only have a four point lead in what has been a shootout. You're saying that you trust then enough that if we don't get this I'm confident you can get a stop and bail us out. If anything, the FG shows less confidence because you aren't willing to take your (fairly good) chances at a fourth down conversion due to the fact that you absolutely do not trust them with a cushion less than seven points.

I'd probably have gone for it. Between the decent chance of conversion and eventual TD I think it's worth the risk of walking away with nothing and pinning the opponent on the five. That said, I don't think taking the points for a 7 point lead is a bad move.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm saying we haven't shown any sign we can stop them. 3 points will not win this thing, going up two scores changes everything and would allow you to run the ball and potentially run out the clock on your next possession like we have done twice already this year.

On this drive we have run 8 times for an average of almost 9 yards per carry. 

9 freaking yards per carry... I grow a pair and take my chances to "win" this game.

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut
  • Like 2

On 11/4/2018 at 8:40 AM, po elvis said:

icing the kicker is fine. but you don't call the timeout so late that he gets a free practice kick. that practice kick is the best thing a kicker can have. call the timeout before that.

If you are only going to use one TO, then I would agree with you.  The other option is to burn all 3 of them, with the kicker kicking his attempt each time.

In the 4th quarter they had no answer for Tre Watson between the tackles.  Kicking the field goal, IMO was a mistake.  We had an oppty to burn more clock and perhaps go up 2 scores.  Blown oppty to show some guts....ultimately Holgerson showed us how its done going for 2 to win it....

• 4 years later...
1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I'll judge Sark for not kicking FGs when BYU scores 21 points and shuts us out the rest of the game. 

When you have a back up you play number of possessions every time. Hell in the fourth quarter you probably play possessions every time.

10 minutes ago, troph said:

When you have a back up you play number of possessions every time. Hell in the fourth quarter you probably play possessions every time.

They have 6 points. I'd rather Sark challenge his guys multiple times to score the fucking football from the 1 yard line because we're going to need to in a game that matters.

BYU isn't winning this game in a million years. 

Oh hey look - pick, red zone TD, game over, 7-1 - potentially top 5 in the AP. Let's fire Sark he's a drunk retard!

It seems like a lot of you have forgotten what having a good team is like. Sark isn't desperate to win every week - he's trying to build something bigger here and get to where we can contend for a national title. Kicking field goals from the 1 yard line because you're worried some dogshit BYU team is going to score 15 unanswered on us at home after they've been getting their ass-kicked all game is the opposite of what we need.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 6

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

They have 6 points. I'd rather Sark challenge his guys multiple times to score the fucking football from the 1 yard line because we're going to need to in a game that matters.

BYU isn't winning this game in a million years. 

Oh hey look - pick, red zone TD, game over, 7-1 - potentially top 5 in the AP. Let's fire Sark he's a drunk retard!

It seems like a lot of you have forgotten what having a good team is like. Sark isn't desperate to win every week - he's trying to build something bigger here and get to where we can contend for a national title. Kicking field goals from the 1 yard line because you're worried some dogshit BYU team is going to score 15 unanswered on us at home after they've been getting their ass-kicked all game is the opposite of what we need.

The OL clearly can't execute in short yardage. Challenging them over and over isn't going to fix it. He either needs to change personnel or kick a fucking FG. Banging his head against the wall isn't the answer.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TXpride said:

The OL clearly can't execute in short yardage. Challenging them over and over isn't going to fix it. He either needs to change personnel or kick a fucking FG. Banging his head against the wall isn't the answer.

Yeah we're really missing those 6 points right now.

41 minutes ago, TXpride said:

Majors and Hayden get no push.  And Murphy at FB is terrible -- he doesn't know who to block.  🙄

46 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah we're really missing those 6 points right now.

It was a 2 score game with an OL that can't get a push and a backup QB who already had 2 terrible turnovers. Taking the points at that point in the game couldn't have been more obvious.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, TXpride said:

It was a 2 score game with an OL that can't get a push and a backup QB who already had 2 terrible turnovers. Taking the points at that point in the game couldn't have been more obvious.

Steve proved against ou that game situation won’t change his mind either. 

• Hook 'Em 1

He blew two attempts to make it a three score game and kill their hopes. No. We fail to gain the yardage and revive their fervor. 

Same against Houston last week. We go ahead 24-0 and Houston would continue their slide into demoralization. 

Last thing. I hate that we think we have this unstoppable formation of linemen and big guys. Yes, it worked against ULM and Rice. You can't just line up, tell them where you're coming, and dare them to stop you if the other team is decent. 

Kick the field goal. Everybody celebrates. You scored on the opponent. It's a very good thing particularly if you have the lead.

How many times do we have to have coaching decisions that turn a laugher into something to worry about?

Please, Sark, please! Learn from this simple mathmatical lesson.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

BYU had shown close to zero ability to move the ball all game, much less go 98 yards. 

Game context matters. If it was 31-16 instead of 21-6 then yes your probably handle that differently.

Crazy shit happens in college football 

After not taking points. What if BYU throws a prayer and the WR doesn’t bobble the ball out of bounds at midfield. A few more what if plays and they score. Now it’s 21-13 and it’s a game. Momentum has completely flipped. Pressure is one the new QB. 

It’s an easy decision. You take the points every time. Sark is a shit coach and continues to prove it game in and game out. But yeah, we are all happy to be 7-1. Some of us just wish the dumb fuck would just make the easy decision instead of trying to get cute every game. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 2
  • Drool 1

That's how I see it as well. The emotional aspect of the game should neither be discounted nor overstated. In this situation, it's actually huge. A team that has had little success suddenly is reminded they still have a chance. 

Sure, the numbers say the chance was there before the non-FG, but the emotion was not. Kill their will to win.

I'm not saying get rid of Sark. He's done some great things. My Herman PTSD where every game was a shit fight may be influencing my horror. 

I hope Sark learns.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

sark passed on 3 kicks, all short high%, which would have put us at 30-6 with 13 minutes remaining

24 points is the absolute maximum measurement of "3 scores" so when we next got the ball back he would have had total safety with the clock to actually run a real series with arch without being compelled to just handoff to get the 1st down needed to knee out the clock

real minutes running the actual offense in a real game are priceless and we blew the chance yet again

TAKE THE FUCKING POINTS SARK

• Hook 'Em 2