Kicking the FG Instead of Going For it on 4th

Vic Mackey

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

slept on it

no change in view

9 points on 3 kicks with 13:10 left in the game sees us up 24, score 30-6

= guaranteed chance to run 1st team series with arch in goldilocks zone - too much time left to just hand the ball off - not enough time left for *anyone* to score 24

practicing redzone / inside-the-5 downs are tertiary to getting AM a real series

Working on our shitty red zone offense with the 1’s is more important than garbage time reps for arch. Maalik needs every single rep with the ones in a game like this because he is absolutely going to get thrown into the fire next week, and one or two garbage time series with arch isn’t going to help when any games going forward.

33 minutes ago, BlackCat said:

I know MM isnt a big scrambler but how is he in short yardage situations? He's such a big dude, maybe some designed runs could improve things in the red zone? I keep missing Ehlinger in these spots. 

watch him after the INT, he can't move at all

1 hour ago, Not a Sock said:

Working on our shitty red zone offense with the 1’s is more important than garbage time reps for arch. Maalik needs every single rep with the ones in a game like this because he is absolutely going to get thrown into the fire next week, and one or two garbage time series with arch isn’t going to help when any games going forward.

agree to disagree

repeating my argument

my point is that with 13:10 at 30-6 we get the ball back in no more than 2 minutes

with 10 or 11 minutes left in the game and up 3 scores (3x8=24) you are statistically safe but also too much time for "garbage" series

we already know MM can play - not changing in the last 10 mins

we already know our O-line can't convert short - god help sark if he had tried it a 4th time

i DON'T KNOW what AM looks like with the 1st team against actual non-practice competition    /squints rosebowl ptsd

19 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Sark was using this a live red zone practice. BYU had absolutely no chance of winning this game. He, the coaches, and the players knew this. I have no problem going for TDs. I do have a problem that we suck at in the red zone.

JFC you practice trying to win games not do stupid shit.

Go root for CU

Leaving your opponent pinned inside their own 3 is worth as many expected points as making a FG. That's why, barring very limited situations like it's the end of a half or obv the end of a game and you are down 3 or less or tied, you should go for all 4th downs inside the 3. The BEST case for kicking is equal to the WORST case going for it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This is what happens when you don’t kick the FG to go up 20-0. Now 17-7 and KSU gets the ball to start the 2nd!

Fng Special Teams, just as crucial as both the O and D. Lost protection on the punt and now we have a ballgame, when you totally dominated the first 25 minutes of the game!

Hook’em!!!

• Like 1

i want to start a new thread titled:

TAKE THE GODDAMN POINTS SARK

but like jules i'm trying real hard

+++

we were cooking with gas

just like houston

fucking glitch in the matrix deja vu all over again

TAKE THE GODDAMN POINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i don't care if we don't know how it would have played out

i do care about watching the same stupid fucking decision fail over and over and over and over

i give zero fucks about the analytics of the modern game

the karma of the game turned when we didn't take the points just like it did against houston

an absolute miracle delivered by the football gods

jesus fucking christ the stadium was DEAD heading in to overtime

TOTAL CONTROL up 350 yards on the opposition and we CHOOSE to kill our momentum

we're fucking going nowhere in the postseason if we can't put the sword to the opponent

another win that felt like a loss

we did not deserve to win this game

fucking fucikity fuck take the goddamn points

• Like 1