2018 midterm gameday thread

Zonahorn

1 hour ago, Voldemort86 said:

Taking out Tom MacArthur would be like the cherry on top. That guy was a big reason that the repubs actually got that horrid healthcare bill through the house. Thank god for John McCain. 

What are you thinking?   Dems win NJ-03, CA-48, and CA-49?

Yep on 48 and 49.  Rohrbacher can fuck right off.  He's unemployed.  And Harkey was unable to buy the election with money that she and her husband stole from a bunch of bluehairs.  She still gets to live in her stolen house though. 

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

Yep on 48 and 49.  Rohrbacher can fuck right off.  He's unemployed.  And Harkey was unable to buy the election with money that she and her husband stole from a bunch of bluehairs.  She still gets to live in her stolen house though. 

Kim's ahead in NJ-3, but McArthur refuses to concede.  So far in NJ, prior to the election 5 R to 7 D.  At least 3 and probably 4 of the R seats flipped.

SAN DIEGO (CNS) - With every other county in California reporting election results in 100 percent of precincts, San Diego County mysteriously lagged behind for more than 12 hours after polls closed Tuesday night.

Riverside County's semi-final report of election results at 8:01 a.m. handed San Diego County the distinction of being the last county in the state without 100 percent of precincts reporting. The delay hindered the ability to officially call certain local races, like that of the San Diego City Council and the county Board of Supervisors, until the early afternoon.

According to the San Diego County Registrar's Office, a technical glitch caused the delay.

"We're still trying to figure out what went wrong," county spokeswoman Tracy Defore said Wednesday morning before the county had finished reporting results.

County election data suggests that voter turnout for Tuesday's mid- term was somewhere in the mid-60s, with 490,000 outstanding ballots left to be counted. Tuesday's turnout rate is the county's highest since the 2010 mid-term election, which resulted in the Republican Party capturing a majority in the U.S. House of Representatives. County voter turnout reached 81.5 percent in the 2016 November election.

13 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Kim's ahead in NJ-3, but McArthur refuses to concede.  So far in NJ, prior to the election 5 R to 7 D.  At least 3 and probably 4 of the R seats flipped.

I’m not surprised. The trump administration has shit on New Jersey. Both the GOP healthcare plan and the tax cuts were deeply unpopular in that state. NJ loved the SALT deduction.

Hopefully you guys will keep us updated when races are called. New York Times has the Dems at 223 seats officially, but I think the Dems will get 229 or 230 when it’s all said and done. Hopefully they can take out Poliquin in Maine, but that one is taking forever. 

Off the top of my head we’re waiting on

3 in cali

1 in Washington state

1 in Maine 

1 in new jersey

1 in Utah 

there’s several more, but I can’t remember/ pinpoint them all.

Edited by Voldemort86
  • Like 1

There is just too much smoke to believe that election isn't rigged. I hope the GA GOP and the Kemp campaign are sued into oblivion. Water down his stolen term with lawsuits.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I haven’t followed this as closely as some, but I don’t think there’s enough to assume some sort of organized effort to rig the election. First off I don’t see how they do it without someone squealing. Second you’d have to coordinate it across some significant percentage of 2,600 locally-run precincts to make it happen. Third you’d be giving them way too much credit. It’s not a story that’s getting much play in the Georgia media. All of the “smoke” is coming from social media and cable news.

I think letting a sitting SOS preside over an election in which he’s a candidate is a bad idea. But everyone who shows up to a polling place can request a provisional ballot. If all of the provisional ballots that were cast went to Abrams she would still lose.

Credit to Abrams, she ran an incredible ground game.

1 minute ago, Buzzrock said:

I haven’t followed this as closely as some, but I don’t think there’s enough to assume some sort of organized effort to rig the election. First off I don’t see how they do it without someone squealing. Second you’d have to coordinate it across some significant percentage of 2,600 locally-run precincts to make it happen. Third you’d be giving them way too much credit. It’s not a story that’s getting much play in the Georgia media. All of the “smoke” is coming from social media and cable news.

I think letting a sitting SOS preside over an election in which he’s a candidate is a bad idea. But everyone who shows up to a polling place can request a provisional ballot. If all of the provisional ballots that were cast went to Abrams she would still lose.

I hope the democrats in Georgia don’t get discouraged. They got so close. I think that state could be purple in the near future.

9 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

I hope the democrats in Georgia don’t get discouraged. They got so close. I think that state could be purple in the near future.

Sometimes when you’re the minority party, you need to overwhelm the “majority” so that even their suppression tactics can’t stop you.  

18 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

Hopefully you guys will keep us updated when races are called. New York Times has the Dems at 223 seats officially, but I think the Dems will get 229 or 230 when it’s all said and done. Hopefully they can take out Poliquin in Maine, but that one is taking forever. 

Off the top of my head we’re waiting on

3 in cali

1 in Washington state

1 in Maine 

1 in new jersey

1 in Utah 

there’s several more, but I can’t remember/ pinpoint them all.

Dems lead in 7 uncalled races by NYT. That’s 230. Plus maybe 1-3 more in CA and the Maine one after ranked choice voting kicks in. 35-38 seat pickup is the range. Which is fantastic 

17 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Wait, you haven’t followed it closely, but you’re able to make the assertions that their voter suppression isn’t really happening? 

The election may be over, but officials say nearly a million ballots have yet to be counted in Los Angeles County, leaving the outcome of one tight race up in the air.

Of the estimated 984,000 outstanding ballots, almost 60% are vote-by-mail ballots collected at the polls or postmarked on or before election day, and nearly 40% are provisional ballots, according to the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk.

ADVERTISEMENT

The agency will continue to log vote-by-mail ballots postmarked appropriately through Friday.

A tiny percentage of outstanding ballots include conditional and miscellaneous ballots. About 4,000 people in Los Angeles County cast ballots under the Conditional Voter Registration program, which allows residents who missed the voter registration deadline to vote. About 8,000 more ballots are in the miscellaneous category, which include those that have write-ins, are damaged, need to be remade or require further review.

The uncounted ballots could sway the Los Angeles County sheriff’s race, which has so far been too close to call. Incumbent Sheriff Jim McDonnell is in jeopardy of being ousted as his challenger, retired Sheriff’s Lt. Alex Villanueva, took a razor-thin lead in the race to head one of the nation’s largest law enforcement agencies.

With 100% of precincts reporting Wednesday, Villanueva was ahead by only 4,927 votes. Historically, the sheriff of L.A. County could count on being easily reelected in the primary, but Villanueva disrupted that pattern when he became one of only four challengers in the last century to push a sitting sheriff into a runoff.

Meanwhile, in Orange County, about 400,000 ballots remain to be counted.

Voters in Anaheim were split on a “living wage” initiative that would require hospitality businesses that accept a city tax subsidy to pay hourly wages of at least $15. Measure L was leading by only about 500 votes Wednesday.

Also close is the race to represent Orange County’s 48th Congressional District. Republican Rep. Dana Rohrabacher trailed his Democratic challenger, Harley Rouda, by just 3,602 votes Wednesday evening.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-outstanding-ballots-20181107-story.html

14 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I have no idea if it’s true or not, but I find it difficult to believe there were 2MM purged ballots in a race that had a total of ~3.9MM votes cast.

Well you need to explain why you find it difficult to believe that. 

Wait, you haven’t followed it closely, but you’re able to make the assertions that their voter suppression isn’t really happening? 

It’s an opinion based on what I’ve read and heard. I know this is a subject that you are passionate about and I totally respect that. It’s good to be skeptical of the government in all things, IMO. My opinion is based on this:

There have never been more registered voters in Georgia (7 million) and it has never been easier to register (you can do it online and I think there might even be an app). Everyone who shows up can get a provisional ballot and cast a vote. Last I read, 22,000 provisional ballots were cast.

Early voting was available for two weeks, and a record number of people took advantage of that.

Old and/or uncalibrated voting machines are scheduled to be replaced by the Georgia legislature next year. I used to sell commercial touchscreens and they mostly suck. I don’t think a select number of them were reprogrammed to register republican votes.

Record turnout, a long ballot, plus almost 2,000 voting machines that have been sequestered as part of a federal lawsuit lead to long lines.

So no, I do not think there was a coordinated voter suppression effort by the GOP in Georgia.

5 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but,

NOT called yet 

house : 15 houses seats

Nate tweeted out about 13 seats with no AP or ABC call:

• Solid D (95% chance or more) - CA-48, CA-49, WA-8
  • Likely D (85% chance) - NM-2, UT-4
  • Lean D (65% chance) - CA-10, CA-39
  • Tossup (50% chance) - CA-45, ME-2, NJ-3
  • Likely R - TX-23
  • Solid R - MN-1, NC-9

D-35 to D-40.  BuT nOt A wAvE!

Just now, Huckleberry said:

538 forecast the day before the election was an average expected value of D+36 in the House and R+2 in the Senate. Right now the updated numbers are D+37 and R+2.

Yeah but he said Hillary had a 5000% chance of winning and she didn't so he's WRONG!

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

It’s an opinion based on what I’ve read and heard. I know this is a subject that you are passionate about and I totally respect that. It’s good to be skeptical of the government in all things, IMO. My opinion is based on this:

There have never been more registered voters in Georgia (7 million) and it has never been easier to register (you can do it online and I think there might even be an app). Everyone who shows up can get a provisional ballot and cast a vote. Last I read, 22,000 provisional ballots were cast.

Early voting was available for two weeks, and a record number of people took advantage of that.

Old and/or uncalibrated voting machines are scheduled to be replaced by the Georgia legislature next year. I used to sell commercial touchscreens and they mostly suck. I don’t think a select number of them were reprogrammed to register republican votes.

Record turnout, a long ballot, plus almost 2,000 voting machines that have been sequestered as part of a federal lawsuit lead to long lines.

So no, I do not think there was a coordinated voter suppression effort by the GOP in Georgia.

- Georgia instituted an "exact match" system that is prone to errors constantly--this has put 53,000 registrations on hold, with 70% of that being Blacks.

- Kemp accused Democrats with no evidence of hacking the SOS website

- voters are purged WITHOUT THEIR KNOWLEDGE in Georgia.  So Kemp is removing them but isn't telling them. 

- Over 340,000 were WRONGLY REMOVED by Kemp (who is the SOS so he can do that and who ran for gov.)

- Voting locations ran out of provisional ballots

- Just because provisional ballots are there doesn't mean they will be counted. Journalist Greg Palast states below:

"The hidden story here in Georgia is the fight over the provisional ballots, something that didn't even exist until after the election was stolen in Florida in 2000," Palast told Salon on Election Day. "The provisional ballots are, if your name is missing from the voter rolls or there is an ID problem or something else that doesn't meet Georgia or any of Mr. Kemp's 'Chutes and Ladders' requirements to vote, you get this provisional ballot. You voted provisionally. Now what you fill out that provisional ballot, it's stuck in an envelope, and it looks like it's put in this orange envelope that looks like it's from 'Bio-Hazard.' They decide where that vote will be counted."

- People are being purged for not voting, but the US Voter Registration Act of 1993 states that's illegal

"We were just at two polling stations with two voters. Both had been purged," Palast explained. "One is Rahiem Shabazz. And he didn't vote in a couple of elections... He's a filmmaker in Atlanta, a successful filmmaker here. And he didn't vote in a couple of elections, but under the United States Voter Registration Act of 1993, it says specifically you can't lose your vote for not voting. You can't lose your registration for not voting. Voting is a fundamental right. So how does Kemp get away with it? He and other GOP officials have been saying, 'Well, if you don't vote a couple times, that is evidence that you have moved either out of your county or even out of the state.' In the case of Rahiem he did move, so they sent him a postcard which they are required to do and say that they do. He wouldn't have gotten that card to save his vote. But he moved down the street within the city of Atlanta, with the county of Fulton. So he never should have been purged in the first place."

- People in Georgia tried to register but they got the run-around from Kemp's office, and his office is telling people they CAN'T get provisional ballots when in fact they actually can

"She brought her daughter, Madilyn, who is 10-years-old, to show her American democracy at work," Palast recalled. "Ashlee Jones is an American mixture of African American, Latina and white. And she wanted to register, heard that she'd been purged and so she registered on Oct. 6, three days before the deadline. She got no notice back confirming her registration and so she does it online. She tried, made her concerns on the last day of registration, said 'I'm just gonna try again.' And again she got back no confirmation. A couple weeks later, she got a letter from Brian Kemp's office saying 'You must contact DeKalb County in Atlanta about your vote,' and all she got from DeKalb County was, 'Well you're not registered. You've been purged for not voting twice and now you can't vote here.'"

As Palast explained, many people who have been purged have not been told that they can get provisional ballots... and some are even told, wrongly, that they can't get provisional ballots.

- Even professors in the state know that Georgia leads the way on voter suppression.  From fucking Fox News:https://www.foxnews.com/politics/georgia-under-scrutiny-for-alleged-voter-suppression-whats-going-on

But claims of alleged voter suppression has been a recurring theme throughout the gubernatorial race – from senior citizens kicked off a bus taking them to vote to lawsuits filed over Georgia’s so-called “exact match” law.

“You could say Georgia has been a leader in the field of voter suppression,” Bruce Mallard, an assistant professor of political science at Savannah State University, told Fox News.

Read on for a look at the allegations into voter suppression in Georgia and how the candidates have responded.

What are the concerns?

‘Exact match’: According to a 2017 Georgia law, Georgians’ government ID must match exactly the name on their voter registration card. A small typo – even the lack of a hyphen in the last name – could throw a person’s registration status into “pending” status, giving the potential voter 26 months to correct it, according to Atlanta Magazine.

A study from The Associated Press revealed there are about 53,000 registrations that were on hold by October – and many voters might be unaware even though they should receive a letter of notification from the county board of registrars.

- Absentee ballots in Georgia probably won't be counted

Absentee ballots rejected: Many Georgians are worried that if they vote absentee, their ballot won't actually be counted. The ACLU and other groups have filed lawsuits in Georgia after one county reported a comparatively high rate of rejected absentee ballots during the start of early voting.

Gwinnett County reportedly rejected 9.6 percent of all absentee mail ballots on Oct. 12. In comparison, DeKalb County had rejected 1.9 percent and Fulton County rejected none, according to court filings. Most of the rejections stem from a mismatch in the signature.

Voters who are notified of a problem can request a new ballot or vote in person, but the law does not provide time after the election to resolve the problems. That could potentially affect voters who drop off their ballots on Election Day.

And I still haven't touched on the voting machines that "magically" stopped working on Election Day in minority neighborhoods, and the massive amount of voting locations that were closed in Georgia. as well as the misinformed poll workers since Kemp's office isn't giving them proper information. 

Sources:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/11/7/18071438/midterm-election-results-voting-rights-georgia-florida

https://www.salon.com/2018/11/07/voter-suppression-worked-greg-palast-explains-why-georgia-governor-race-is-headed-to-a-legal-battle/

• Like 3

20 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Cool. That wasn’t the claim. Thanks for trying to move the goal posts.

The claim is their is orchestrated suppression in Georgia, a place where it is pretty easy to vote.  I'm still waiting on the suppression evidence.  Believe me, the ACLU and other left wing groups with a lot of money and a team of lawyers are ready to file lawsuits.  If there is a case, justice will be done.  I follow facts and law, not some nut on twitter telling everyone suppression is going on

• Fuck You 1

23 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

- Georgia instituted an "exact match" system that is prone to errors constantly--this has put 53,000 registrations on hold, with 70% of that being Blacks.

- voters are purged WITHOUT THEIR KNOWLEDGE in Georgia.  So Kemp is removing them but isn't telling them. 

- Over 340,000 were WRONGLY REMOVED by Kemp (who is the SOS so he can do that and who ran for gov.)

- Just because provisional ballots are there doesn't mean they will be counted. Journalist Greg Palast states below:

- People are being purged for not voting, but the US Voter Registration Act of 1993 states that's illegal

- People in Georgia tried to register but they got the run-around from Kemp's office, and his office is telling people they CAN'T get provisional ballots when in fact they actually can

- Even professors in the state know that Georgia leads the way on voter suppression.  From fucking Fox News:https://www.foxnews.com/politics/georgia-under-scrutiny-for-alleged-voter-suppression-whats-going-on

And I still haven't touched on the voting machines that "magically" stopped working on Election Day in minority neighborhoods, and the massive amount of voting locations that were closed in Georgia. as well as the misinformed poll workers since Kemp's office isn't giving them proper information. 

Sources:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/11/7/18071438/midterm-election-results-voting-rights-georgia-florida

https://www.salon.com/2018/11/07/voter-suppression-worked-greg-palast-explains-why-georgia-governor-race-is-headed-to-a-legal-battle/

Vox and Salon are not exactly legitimate news sources. 

29 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

Sources:

Forms that are not filled out correctly or are missing key information, like your name...get thrown out.  It isnt a conspiracy 

Edited by AtticusFinch

44 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Nate tweeted out about 13 seats with no AP or ABC call:

• Solid D (95% chance or more) - CA-48, CA-49, WA-8
  • Likely D (85% chance) - NM-2, UT-4
  • Lean D (65% chance) - CA-10, CA-39
  • Tossup (50% chance) - CA-45, ME-2, NJ-3
  • Likely R - TX-23
  • Solid R - MN-1, NC-9

D-35 to D-40.  BuT nOt A wAvE!

Thanks for this.  This thread isn’t over until everything is called I’d assume. I thought New Mexico 2 was called last night?  New York Times has it marked as an official flip.

1 minute ago, Voldemort86 said:

Thanks for this.  This thread isn’t over until everything is called I’d assume. I thought New Mexico 2 was called last night?  New York Times has it marked as an official flip.

He specifically said if the AP or ABC hadn't called it yet.  NYT may have, but AP has not I guess.  Because AP also had rescinded the Hurd call.

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

He specifically said if the AP or ABC hadn't called it yet.  NYT may have, but AP has not I guess.  Because AP also had rescinded the Hurd call.

I’m glad to see that Mimi Walters isn’t safe. I can’t believe california keeps re-electing that bitch. She’s against Obamacare, against legal weed, supports tax cuts for the rich. What a joke.

40 minutes ago, AtticusFinch said:

Forms that are not filled out correctly or are missing key information, like your name...get thrown out.  It isnt a conspiracy 

They're throwing out forms because they don't match exactly. I'm talking the difference of a hypen or leaving out a middle initial.