2018 Fishing - Year of the big one

fattyflattie

On 7/24/2018 at 12:48 PM, justhookit said:

Haven’t posted much lately but I’m fishing the Texas tournaments this year on Rebecca. We just finished 5th in POCO with a 443 pond blue marlin. Good start to the season and now we have 4 tournaments to go over the next 5 weeks.

Lonestar Shootout  was the next tournament we went out trying to kill another big blue. Raised 3 and one of them was the right one, huge fish that ate a 20 pound black fin bait. . Jumped him off. Easy 600 pound plus fish.

left POC  Monday to go prefish for the TIFT tournament started fishing about 11 in the morning and ended up with 3 white marlin and 13 sailfish. Spent the night out there and caught 2 whites, 2 sails and a blue the next day. We are pretty sure that is the unofficial record for most billfish released in Texas over 2 days. Headed in to south padre and rested. Fished the tournament over the weekend and the bite had slowed we caught 3 whites 7 sails and finished in 4th. Missed a bunch of fish including a blue that would have won the whole thing for us. 

Next up is Legends this weekend here in Port A.

• Like 3

Got back from Alaska about 10 days ago.  Caught a ton of fish, although we got skunked on the kings this year.  The limits on kings and halibut were both down from the last time I was there.  The last time, you were allowed to keep one king per person per day and the halibut slot limit was 44-80 inches (have to throw back if it's in the slot).  This year that is reduced to one king per person per year and the halibut slot is down to 38-80.  We fished for kings for 1-2 hours every day but couldn't find any.  The coho made up for that as they were huge and fat (and hungry) and we limited out on them each day - 6 each per day.  The owner of the lodge said he thought the coho were 3-4 pounds bigger, on average, than they have been in prior years.  And the halibut were just as eager as ever to bite, just had to throw a few back each day to get one under 38.

I think I have found my new favorite form of fishing, though.  Jigging for halibut in 600 feet of water.  Holy shit, if you haven't done that, you need to.  24 oz jighead with a big ass curly tail body on it.  Bang it off the bottom for a few minutes and hold the fuck on when you get a bite.  I caught an ~80 pounder or so (too big to keep, probably 60" or so) as well as a couple nice keepers doing this.  

Pics to follow.  The place we went is called Kain's Fishing Adventures.  And you bring home so much fish that it's really not terribly expensive at the end of the day after you factor in all the fresh salmon, halibut and rockfish you bring home.

• Like 2

Went yesterday in Rosemary beach and stayed under the bridge the connect 331 and eventually 98. Caught a bunch of redfish, most of them were 16-18 inches. Caught two over 24.  Caught an absolutely massive black drum (50 pounds). Son caught a nice bluefish that a really big bull shark devoured as we were about to net the bluefish into the boat. That was a hell of a sight. Heading back out on Friday.   

On 8/6/2018 at 2:05 PM, solamente73 said:

^^^JHI, was wondering if this may have been you.  687lb black marlin (as reported) from the TIFT tournament.  I didn’t even know blacks ran in the Gulf.  

43889747921_2ed35825ac_m.jpg

sorry for crappy pic (for ants).

No blacks in the gulf or Atlantic. Just blue and white marlin. Capt. Brian Phillips caught that fish on the new boat he is running called Smooth Move. They also caught a 206 pound yellowfin in the tournament. He’s a friend and also in the slip next to us so hopefully some of his luck will rub off. Headed out today to scout out a few spots for this weekend.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2018 at 7:02 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Fishbrain has opened my eyes to how many private ponds/lakes there are in Central Texas with lots of large bass.

Now whether or not it's smart to be showing off where the fishing is good on private land is another matter.

Speaking of fishing private land...

I have a vendor who belongs to Private Water Fishing, and he swears by it.  The concept interests me because you have access to places off the beaten path, and would make great weekend retreats for the family once the boys get old enough to get something out of it.  

Anyone a member, or know a member?  Thoughts?

I have a vendor who belongs to Private Water Fishing, and he swears by it.  The concept interests me because you have access to places off the beaten path, and would make great weekend retreats for the family once the boys get old enough to get something out of it.  

Sounds pretty good. Wish there more lakes around Austin

7 hours ago, solamente73 said:

I’ve seen the guy who runs that posting on various Texas fishing forums.  Don’t see anybody knocking him.  Have seen him discussing soil conservation reservoirs (there’s a few thousand in Texas, and they are mostly on private land). 

48 minutes ago, lonestarsooner said:

Given the high end boats on this thread, not sure if this is the right place to post this. If not, delete post, ban user, etc, etc. Grew up spending pretty much every weekend I wasn’t playing ball at the lake fishing and skiing. Some of my best memories. Wife spent a ton of time doing the same (well, skiing anyway) in Calgary growing up. Have decided that we’re going to start looking at boats so we can do the same with our kiddos before they get any older. Daughter is 11 and son is 6. Boat I grew up on was a 21ft Glastron fish and ski. What is the shag consensus on good fish and ski’s now? Have looked at the Tahoe’s at Bass Pro. Look nice but haven’t run into a lot of real world reviews of them. Would like to be 21-24ft and 200+hp and under $40k new. Wouldn’t mind a good used one either but seems like the good quality ones hold value pretty well and don’t necessarily save tons of cash buying used. Anyone on here running a great weekend warrior fish and ski you love?

Just put the quote above post up on the boat fanatic thread. Realize it may be sac religious to ask about a fish and ski boat on the fishing thread. If I get crucified for it so be it. I’ll take the punishment, lol. Anyone have any thoughts on a good fish and ski these days until the kids get out of the house and I can go back to a real fishing boat?

Got off the water a few hours ago in Key Largo.  Great guide.  Very knowledgeable.  We caught a ton of fish, but they were all small.  Hot, still and humid today.  Nothing to site cast in the flats.  Water temp was 90+.  Green algae bloom had the water screwed up a bit, too.  Caught a ton of rat reds and mangrove snapper along the back bay islands.  Mixed in a few trout, and a couple of solid jack crevalle in some of the draws closer to the Everglades.  One small snook too early in the morning.  HUGE bull shark almost took a snapper just as my wife brought it to the boat.  Guide estimated it to be 8 ft and I think it was every bit that big.  No bonefish or permit to be had.  Threw at a few small tarpon, but couldn't raise a bite.  Great trip with a great guide.  Would do it again.

IMG_8409_2.jpg
IMG_2842.jpg

Edited by Spaulding Smails
  • Like 2

I go out to the beach tonight and I’m not having any luck catching mullet for bait. The small net is useless as the water isn’t clear enough to see any schools and the big net just lets them swim out. I’m about to give up when I toss the small net and catch a few translucent shrimp, the first shrimp I’ve ever caught. I go back to the same spot and try again, this time getting 20+ of them. Cool, we have bait!

I set both rods out and within 10 mins get a nice hit, but whatever it was got away before I could set the hook. A few mins later I land a solid 17” trout which we’ll have for lunch tomorrow.

Then just 10-20 mins later I get the biggest hit I’ve ever had. I’ve had a few big fish run the drag for a few seconds, but this thing took several long runs that started to have me worried that I’d run out of line. A fairly good size crowd gathered to watch me fight this thing for maybe 10 minutes. Not only did it run the drag out several times, but it also ran south down the shore and then all the way north, too. Something I had never seen before was all of the mullet (?) jumping out of the water around my line. I guess it was scaring them? I think I may have rushed to get it in because right as it got close to the breakers it suddenly pulled super hard and broke free. I swear 15 people went “awwwwwe” in unison. Just devastating. So I pull in the line and both hooks (double drop leader) are bent straight! I’ve never seen anything like it. I thought maybe stingray early on, but I’m not sure they run that much. Black tip seems more likely. Damn... the one that got away.

Got one more trout before calling it a night. Can’t wait to get out and see if I can get more of these shrimp as they seem to be hot

• Like 1

Buddy of mine shot this of me running home in POC Saturday
ddl2ky.jpg

Great shot.

I was down there last weekend too.

We fished late on Thurs and picked up a couple of trout. Fished well past dark.

Friday- Got up early and went floundering and only found one. That sucked. Need to research some more flounder spots. Fished daylight -10:30 and only found two keeper trout. Did catch a 6 inch croaker on a Down South Super Model.

Saturday - limited out on trout in one spot. Biggest was 20 1/2. Found a couple of undersized reds after that.

Will be back next weekend!

8 hours ago, Lurch said:

I go out to the beach tonight and I’m not having any luck catching mullet for bait. The small net is useless as the water isn’t clear enough to see any schools and the big net just lets them swim out. I’m about to give up when I toss the small net and catch a few translucent shrimp, the first shrimp I’ve ever caught. I go back to the same spot and try again, this time getting 20+ of them. Cool, we have bait!

I set both rods out and within 10 mins get a nice hit, but whatever it was got away before I could set the hook. A few mins later I land a solid 17” trout which we’ll have for lunch tomorrow.

Then just 10-20 mins later I get the biggest hit I’ve ever had. I’ve had a few big fish run the drag for a few seconds, but this thing took several long runs that started to have me worried that I’d run out of line. A fairly good size crowd gathered to watch me fight this thing for maybe 10 minutes. Not only did it run the drag out several times, but it also ran south down the shore and then all the way north, too. Something I had never seen before was all of the mullet (?) jumping out of the water around my line. I guess it was scaring them? I think I may have rushed to get it in because right as it got close to the breakers it suddenly pulled super hard and broke free. I swear 15 people went “awwwwwe” in unison. Just devastating. So I pull in the line and both hooks (double drop leader) are bent straight! I’ve never seen anything like it. I thought maybe stingray early on, but I’m not sure they run that much. Black tip seems more likely. Damn... the one that got away.

Got one more trout before calling it a night. Can’t wait to get out and see if I can get more of these shrimp as they seem to be hot

First thought that came to mind was a decent size Jack. They are one of the harder fighing fish you will come across on the beach. If you were doubled up though who knows.

First thought that came to mind was a decent size Jack. They are one of the harder fighing fish you will come across on the beach. If you were doubled up though who knows.

I’ve not caught a jack yet. I’m not sure how prevalent they are here in NE Florida

It’s going to be in my head until I land something big. Damn.

4 hours ago, Lurch said:

I’ve not caught a jack yet. I’m not sure how prevalent they are here in NE Florida

It’s going to be in my head until I land something big. Damn.

You’ll find Jacks all the way up the Atlantic coast. They are typically caught on live fish or fish mimicking lures. They can be found on the beaches if bait schools are around, but are typically a little deeper than casting distance. I’ve caught small Jacks in a couple feet of water with shrimp under a popping cork though so sometimes it is completely random.

it sounds a lot like Jacks. They run like almost no other fish.

Edited by Brew

Lurch, do you only fish bait while at the beach? You can do some damage fishing artificials in the troughs after you get the bait out in the water. I usually fish 2-3 10 foot setups spread through the water column and then have a 7 Ft spinning reel rigged with a spoon and another with something to fish while I wait.

Alright, what do I want to do here?

Cheapo rod and reel from Walmart. Do I keep the line it came with, or replace with 30lb braid?

Got 30lb fluoro for leader. Just tie it to main line or use swivel?

I got tactical angers power clips, which I presume I attach to leader w a swivel?

Just put the quote above post up on the boat fanatic thread. Realize it may be sac religious to ask about a fish and ski boat on the fishing thread. If I get crucified for it so be it. I’ll take the punishment, lol. Anyone have any thoughts on a good fish and ski these days until the kids get out of the house and I can go back to a real fishing boat?
My dad had his answer, which is why I learned to ski behind a 22 Whaler in the ICW.

Alright, what do I want to do here?

Cheapo rod and reel from Walmart. Do I keep the line it came with, or replace with 30lb braid?

Got 30lb fluoro for leader. Just tie it to main line or use swivel?

I got tactical angers power clips, which I presume I attach to leader w a swivel?

Keep the line on it for now.

Tie on a swivel and then some leader, I usually go with about 18 inches (mom joke) and then whatever you're using, spoon or lure.

Then make as many casts as you can while you develop muscle memory.

Then either take the braid back for a refund or swap it out and see if you like that better.

Personally I don't like braid but it's really a personal preferance, and I'm a luddite. A trilene mono guy for life.

Fluoro leader is a must if using braid. I use 20-30 lb braid when fishing the surf with a 20-30 mono leader. I don’t use swivels or clips because it just increases the break points. I use an FG knot for the braid to mono connection and then use a Kreh, Palomar or Loop knot depending on what I’m fishing at the lure.