Official Food Poisoning thread

Baboontyme

On 11/22/2018 at 7:13 PM, RPM said:

I had a case of salmonella after eating some bad seafood. Spewing simultaneously from both ends so bad I literally crawled into the tub, turned on the shower and waited to die. I repented for stuff I never did and I'm not religious.

damn dude, thats sounds shitty

Our oldest son was about 6 months old when we went to a day care picnic. My wife and I both got it from something that was in the spread. By that evening I was on the floor in one bathroom and she was on the floor in the other one. Whoever was not expelling from either end would check on our son. Even at 6 months hey had to have some innate sense that something was wrong cause he was perfect all night long thank God. 

• Like 1

HEB makes those salmon, jalapeno, cheese, onion burgers.   I bought a pair and waited a day to cook them.  Then waited a day to eat the second one.   I guess I just missed the best if eaten by and I barely got the last bite down and my stomach gave the emergency evacuation signal.   I sprinted to the building bathroom and spent a sold 30 mins in here counting the tiles. 

1) In high school, I ate some salsa one time that hadn't been refrigerated.  It was in the pantry and I was too dumb enough to question it's place in the kitchen.  All I remember was feeling sick in my last class.  I wake up, in class, run out of the room, and make it to the foot of the girl's bathroom before spewing all over.  I was so embarrassed, I just hurried into the men's room and pretended it didn't happen.  I got so sick for a couple of days that I was yelling out phrases during fits of delirium.  

2) By far the worst was about 10 years ago.  Started throwing up right at noon on Sat.  I kept throwing up and spewing out my ass.  I couldn't even put pieces of ice in my mouth without throwing up.  Wife finally took me to the ER on Tuesday.  After an IV, they sent me home.  The next day, I still couldn't eat or drink anything.  Back to the hospital.  I was admitted for 3 days.  Got out Sat morning.  I had - quite literally - begun to starve (other than what was in the IV.)  I lost 25 pounds in one week.  I remember walking around the grocery store that Sat afternoon and EVERYTHING looked like the most delicious thing I had ever seen.  I would have downed a jar of pickled pig's feet if offered.  It was an odd feeling because I'm a pretty picky eater.

Word to the wise.  I got to the point after a couple of days, that I'd help myself vomit so that I could just get it over with and go back to bed.  Doc thinks I may have started something called a "vomit cycle" in which stomach has a hard time stopping the vomiting.  At least I think that's how I remember it.  So, don't stick your finger in the back of your throat.

I got a poke bowl one time when I was really hungry and, ordering from delivery, I just added on every add-on they had... as I clicked on one - crab salad - I distinctly thought to myself, "I don't even like crab salad and that seems like it could make me sick from a to-go, delivery sushi place.... ah, fuck it, what's the likelihood of that happening, let's roll..."   Suffice it to say, I have not nor will I ever eat imitation crab again.

The worst part of this whole thread is knowing that it's sometimes the best foods that can betray you the worst.  To wit, I had a chicken fried steak once (assuming that was the culprit) that barely lasted 3 hours in my system then had me inside out for about 12 hours.  The weird thing about the few times I've had some food poisoning is that it's so awful when I'm in the throes of it, but then I wake up at some point and it's just completely gone.... and my main sensation is that I'm utterly starving and have no qualms about eating anything as long it's not the last thing I ate that got me sick.  Like, sick for two days, barely maintaining the strength to stand, and yet immediately make a trip to Maudies and crush a bowl of queso and a Regular Dinner.

Flying back from Europe after our honeymoon, wife and I were served some egg salad sandwiches in first class* a few hours before landing. She declined, I ate hers. We had a layover in Toronto for a few days to visit old friends. They picked us up at the airport, just as the first rumblings were hitting. Barely made it too their house before destroying their guest bathroom.

*no humblebrag, FIL gave us a shitload of miles as a wedding gift.

On 11/25/2018 at 9:42 AM, PilotsError said:

Went to Israel two weeks ago, stayed a night in Germany on the way back.  Had a frankfurter that I didn't think tasted right, but kept eating because I thought that's how authentic ones tasted.  Didn't feel it hit until the boarding process the next morning.  I was already puking during takeoff.  Vomiting and diarrhea  on a ten hour flight from FRA to IAH, and then to Austin took me to a level of hell I'll never experience again.  I'm sure I'm the most hated passenger ever.  

<trying to determine if username checks out or not>

Headed fishing with dad when I was a youngster. Stopped about 20 minutes from the lake and got a slice of breakfast pizza. Unloaded the boat and told dad I didn’t feel good. Leaned over the edge and puked everywhere. In the process, I shit all down my leg and immediately hopped overboard. I was surrounded by shit and vomit for nearly 15 minutes as I continued to do both. Fortunately I had a life jacket on or I may have drowned right there. At the time that was the best possible scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, burns_312 said:

Headed fishing with dad when I was a youngster. Stopped about 20 minutes from the lake and got a slice of breakfast pizza. Unloaded the boat and told dad I didn’t feel good. Leaned over the edge and puked everywhere. In the process, I shit all down my leg and immediately hopped overboard. I was surrounded by shit and vomit for nearly 15 minutes as I continued to do both. Fortunately I had a life jacket on or I may have drowned right there. At the time that was the best possible scenario.

<determines username does checkout>

Went to Brooklyn Heights Pizzeria (Leander, TX) for some football.  Hate their food but their football happy hour is good enough to where I'll stomach it.  Ate some pepperoni rolls that were pretty undercooked and wings.  Wings didn't seem off to me but I was pretty drunk so not sure I would have noticed anyways - pepperoni rolls were definitely undercooked though.  The mayhem began around 4 am.  I was hungover too.  Shitting and puking fire for what seemed like an eternity.  Easily one of the worse days of my life.  I'm still not sure how it was still going when I hardly ate anything the entire day.  There were so many times I considered going to the hospital just so they could do something - anything - for me.  Had a couple of times where I thought I just had to puke and ended up losing a good pair of underwear in the process.  Will never go back to that place.  

Lost it with this one..

Forgot this one.

I was in Rosarito Mexico and ate some delicious but deadly shrimp tacos.

Had awful diarrhea and bad cramps almost immediately. Was in the bathroom a the bar for a long time when one of my buddies came to check on me and slid me some beer under the stall. 5 mins later, a gang of federales came in, pointed guns at us and searched and checked us for 30 mins. I was dying.

They thought that my buddy gave me drogas under the stall. Bullshit. They finally left and I went back to shitting.

Worst part, everyone got so wasted so I ended up being the designated driver back from San Diego to Newport Beach at 5am. That was after the Indy 500 cab driver almost killed us on the way back from Rosarito back to the border. Not CSB.

On 11/22/2018 at 1:40 PM, bluto said:

Dumb question incoming... 

I don't play with fire like that undercooking or cross contaminating, plus I don't think it would taste good, but the recommended temp is only necessary to ensure killing off potential bacteria right? Is bacteria on every cut of chicken? Could you eat raw chicken? Seems like chicken and pork are the biggest concerns due to the insanely nasty conditions they are kept in before slaughter. 

You're not wrong with the questions. Japanese eat raw chicken (and raw beef) sushi as a delicacy, and the key is they are cleanly raised and cleanly slaughtered. Similar to a beef roast, most bacteria is on the surface of the meat, so unless you have punctured the meat or suspect parasites within, no need to get core temperature to the "recommended" temps. Much of Asia also eats raw pork liver, but that has more risk of parasites.