Official Food Poisoning thread

Baboontyme

Story time. 

Friends back in town, family gathering with kids at buddy's house. My buddy is a great guy. Little bit flighty. Super smart in some areas but very aloof in many other areas. He basically ordered pizza for the kids and had apps and main dish pre-prepped by a catering/pampered chef type of company. It was some chicken breast cutlet dish in a pan with ham and seasoning, sauce, and Italian cheese on top. He popped it in the oven and I saw him using an instant read probe a few times to check the temp of the chicken. Eventually he pulled it out and served it, along with the pizza. 

Hypochondriac other buddy is eating the chicken next to me and fretting about its color. We kind of laugh him off. I saw host buddy probing so I assumed he knew what he was doing. I take a bite and it's tough. I actually think by texture it's overcooked. Look at it closely and yeah, there was some pink but it was fleshy in other parts. I got up quickly and pulled my host buddy aside. 

"Hey I don't want to make a big thing of this, but....what temperature did you cook that chicken to?"

"120."

"Dude tell me you are joking" Looks at him in eyes. He's not joking. 

I tell him I don't want to ruin his party or scare people but we need to make the rounds and tell people to stop eating the chicken. He tried to argue with me that he cooked it for at least 20 minutes at 375. I told him over and over it doesn't matter and all that does is internal temp but not sure the message was sinking in. Don't think it sunk in to him until I explained that 125 is the temp that many people will pull a rare steak.

No vomiting or diarrhea yet. I'm still in awe. I guess I've been serving food for long enough to understand just how big of a fuck up that was. Tried to explain to my wife and some others and they laughed it off. 

• Like 1

Dumb question incoming... 

I don't play with fire like that undercooking or cross contaminating, plus I don't think it would taste good, but the recommended temp is only necessary to ensure killing off potential bacteria right? Is bacteria on every cut of chicken? Could you eat raw chicken? Seems like chicken and pork are the biggest concerns due to the insanely nasty conditions they are kept in before slaughter. 

I had a case of salmonella after eating some bad seafood. Spewing simultaneously from both ends so bad I literally crawled into the tub, turned on the shower and waited to die. I repented for stuff I never did and I'm not religious.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, bluto said:

Dumb question incoming... 

I don't play with fire like that undercooking or cross contaminating, plus I don't think it would taste good, but the recommended temp is only necessary to ensure killing off potential bacteria right? Is bacteria on every cut of chicken? Could you eat raw chicken? Seems like chicken and pork are the biggest concerns due to the insanely nasty conditions they are kept in before slaughter. 

salmonella is only on the outside of chicken, it's not inside the meat itself, and it's not on every chicken.  it can get inside the chicken when you cut into it or poke it with a fork etc.  i undercook my chicken all the time on purpose.  i prefer my roasts pink, barely this side of bleeding. my family hate it.  i also undercook my pork to medium rare.  never had a problem from undercooked chicken or pork.  prepackaged pork products and chicken products though i've had issues with a few times.

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

salmonella is only on the outside of chicken, it's not inside the meat itself, and it's not on every chicken.  it can get inside the chicken when you cut into it or poke it with a fork etc.  i undercook my chicken all the time on purpose.  i prefer my roasts pink, barely this side of bleeding. my family hate it.  i also undercook my pork to medium rare.  never had a problem from undercooked chicken or pork.  prepackaged pork products and chicken products though i've had issues with a few times.

Undercook your chicken to like 150? Or to 120?

Two of my worst cases were from Whataburger. I think the first was from lettuce since my wife skips lettuce and onions and she was fine. Second was from shakes we had. I was fine all evening while she was puking and asking me to call an ambulance. My body said “fuck you, you drank it, it’s going though your system”.  Right about the time she stopped puking, my bowels let me have it. Took me almost a year to go back to Whataburger after that one. 

I’ve eaten some shitty chicken in my time, but 120?   That is borderline criminal.  

I also won’t eat chicken or pork off of somebody’s wooden cutting board.  Wood is for vegetables.  Glass cutting boards are what adults use to cut meats.  

I try and drink enough Crown Black to hopefully kill any bacteria that makes it through the cooking or lack there of.

But when I cook, no chicken or turkey is getting pulled Until it hits 165.  Beef...well that's different. Never probed a steak, and only probed my rib roast yesterday to make sure I didn't overlook it.  

People NEEDING to use a temp probe on a fucking filet/ cutlet of anything should not be cooking in the first place... certainly not for company/ family.

Edited by slorch

I learned in food safety class that the #1 substance that causes foodborne illness is fecal matter. That shit is in the air all around us constantly. If you want to play with fire then cook your chicken 'till whatever temp you want. As for me, I'm cooking it until the juices run clear.

49 minutes ago, Whatever said:

I learned in food safety class that the #1 substance that causes foodborne illness is fecal matter. That shit is in the air all around us constantly. If you want to play with fire then cook your chicken 'till whatever temp you want. As for me, I'm cooking it until the juices run clear.

You mean we’re walking around in an invisible cloud of shit particles?   Buzz kill. 

9 hours ago, Lobo said:

I’ve eaten some shitty chicken in my time, but 120?   That is borderline criminal.  

I also won’t eat chicken or pork off of somebody’s wooden cutting board.  Wood is for vegetables.  Glass cutting boards are what adults use to cut meats.  

If you want to ruin your knives, sure. No way would i use my knives on a glass board. I know meats are fairly easy to cut, but still wouldn't.  Wood or silicone. 

• Like 1

One night, had my wife pick up some takeout pho for me.  The broth comes home super hot.  You put the thinly sliced raw beef in there, and it cooks the meat through.  Well, I ended up working later than expected.   When I got home the broth was still hot...but not hot enough.  I absent-mindedly put the beef in the broth, let it "cook," and then ate it.

For the next four days, one of which required me to take a deposition, I was blowing mud.  I'd take a break every hour, blow mud, continued deposing my witness.  I finally managed to keep down some very plain chicken and rice on day 4, and man, I was freaking hungry.

From now on, pho is eaten at the restaurant only.

You mean we’re walking around in an invisible cloud of shit particles?   Buzz kill. 
Pretty much. Obviously it's more concentrated in certain areas such as, I don't know, around the shitter maybe. This is why everyone needs to wash their hands after going to the bathroom and before handling food.

Spent four days in the hospital almost got kilt by the salmonella when I was a frosh at UT.  Long story but a ton of people got sick from the meal we attended, including my mom who because she was mildly sick didn't realize how bad I was and the dehydration had taken its toll by the time Sunday rolled around.  Turkey from Thanksgiving, health department investigated etc....took me a while to get back on the turkey saddle, good times.  Showed back up on campus and had to roll right into making up shit I missed and finals.  The old GPA was a bit rough that first semester.

Besides lettuce onions also get people sick more often than folks realize.  

Went to Israel two weeks ago, stayed a night in Germany on the way back.  Had a frankfurter that I didn't think tasted right, but kept eating because I thought that's how authentic ones tasted.  Didn't feel it hit until the boarding process the next morning.  I was already puking during takeoff.  Vomiting and diarrhea  on a ten hour flight from FRA to IAH, and then to Austin took me to a level of hell I'll never experience again.  I'm sure I'm the most hated passenger ever.  

Either had the Noravirus or food poisoning after a Christmas dinner 10 years ago.  Woke up the next morning after the dinner, and felt a bit queasy, but not sick. Ate some pumpkin roll (cake and a flavored cream cheese filler rolled together).

Started getting cramps that day, and my stomach muscles all spasmed rigid like I had a 2 x 12 across my belly, couldn't even walk, had a nice ride in an ambulance that night. 

Spent 24 hours in the ER with both ends spewing like Krakatoa apparently.  I was so out of it I didn't even remember the day. Had an IV drip, and allegedly 2 shots of some kind of pain killer.  

The post above reminded me of a dad brag. I’m pretty sure my son invented a phrase a few months ago.

We’re at a friend’s ranch, doing work to prep for deer season - painting blinds, patching holes, clearing brush, all that. As we’re painting a blind, he climbs down and says “Dad...I need to go back to the house...now.” We hop on the 4 wheeler and haul ass. He runs inside, where he has four rounds of battle with the spicy chicken strips from the night before (don’t think it was food poisoning, I just think he had a gastrointestinal battle royale).
I’m waiting outside with my older buddy, and the boy comes out. We look at him and he says “man...I had some Krakatoa down belowa.” We cracked up. And then told “the time I shit myself” stories for the next 15 minutes.

So, Krakatoa down belowa. There you have it. I asked him if he got it from somewhere else, he said no. And I couldn’t find it elsewhere on the googles. But now, it’s out there for the world to use.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Sprained eyeball?  That’s pretty fucking hardcore.

I honestly thought I was going to die after the 7th episode.

No idea where whatever I was puking kept coming from.  Every 45 min I was  puking my guts out.  Would spend 20 min on the bathroom floor recovering then get back to bed thinking that had to be the end of it.  Nope.  

I have always had excellent vision, noticed a couple days later on drive to work that speed limit signs were blurry.  Went to optometrist and he said trauma had stretched my eyeballs snd over time they should recover, which they seem to have.