Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

Russia struggles to produce the simplest of things and leans on Iran and North Korea for help.  They have produced 26 Su-57’s.

Meanwhile, we just rolled out our 1,000th F-35.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/the-1000th-f-35-has-been-built

As of early January, the F-35 enterprise has amassed over 773,000 flying hours, trained over 2,280 pilots and 15,400 maintainers across 14 flying services around the world, and flown more than 469,000 total sorties. There are now 32 bases and 11 ships hosting or capable of hosting F-35 units. As of now, there are a whopping 17 countries participating in the international Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) program.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, KYHorn said:

Lol

what the hell? I saw this and thought the 3 pictures were done to disprove the Russian claim, but it was actually Russia that posted the pictures that disprove their own claim in the same tweet? 

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Viper said:

what the hell? I saw this and thought the 3 pictures were done to disprove the Russian claim, but it was actually Russia that posted the pictures that disprove their own claim in the same tweet? 

Russia is the aggy of Eurasia.  

On an unrelated note, a friend who flew on AWACS aircraft for a few years mentioned that nobody seems to be talking about who would have been on that Russian A-50. Based on how the Russians do things, he’s wondering if there wasn’t at least a few colonels or even a general on that thing.

• Hook 'Em 4

image.thumb.png.574d514c3edc3732be9258a74c693c16.png

On 1/14/2024 at 6:37 PM, KYHorn said:

What could be behind this uptick in "friendly" fire on Russian aircraft? Is hacking possible? Sabotage, lack of radar or other equipment due to attrition, or an increase in incompetence?

It answers the question "What air defense doing?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 1/14/2024 at 7:17 PM, atomheartbevo said:

They’ve lost around 3,400 officers since Feb of 2022.  That’s a lot of institutional knowledge when you factor in that Russian junior officers fill in roles that NCOs do in the West.

This is really a good point. I cannot imagine an army without NCO’s.  As an example, my dad was career horse cavalry before he got a tank in World War ll.   I have an old faded copy of the original battlefield commission where my Staff Sergeant dad kept assuming command of the company every time its lieutenant got killed. They got killed a lot. After a while, the army noticed my dad was really good at leading and he received a cavalry battlefield commission as a second lieutenant.   I guarantee you if they had taken my dad out early in the war a lot more men in the ninth armored would’ve died because of his absence. 

Multiply that experience times tens or hundreds of thousands - and the Russian army will suffer many more casualties.   Not that Putler gives a shit.   

• Hook 'Em 8

5 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

This is really a good point. I cannot imagine an army without NCO’s.  As an example, my dad was career horse cavalry before he got a tank in World War ll.   I have an old faded copy of the original battlefield commission where my Staff Sergeant dad kept assuming command of the company every time its lieutenant got killed. They got killed a lot. After a while, the army noticed my dad was really good at leading and he received a cavalry battlefield commission as a second lieutenant.   I guarantee you if they had taken my dad out early in the war a lot more men in the ninth armored would’ve died because of his absence. 

Multiply that experience times tens or hundreds of thousands - and the Russian army will suffer many more casualties.   Not that Putler gives a shit.   

Right there with you. My Dad was also a mustang. Received a battlefield commission in Vietnam and went on to do three more tours. We spend a lot of time and effort on building an NCO Corps. So do our allies.

And yeah, Russia still using WW2 tactics of mass charges just with more modern weapons (some at least!) and hoping they can win by wearing down the enemy.

• Hook 'Em 5

On 1/14/2024 at 8:21 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

That A-50 AWACS is (was) a super valuable asset. Russia likely only has something like 10 or so flying. And maybe fewer given the absolute state of the the VKS. 

Which leaves the pregnant question: given that they are rare and valuable - and one just got shot down - in addition to the one shot down by the Wagner group - will Russia will be so worried about losing more they decide not to employ them?  

Which, as you say, would hurt Russian battle readiness. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Which leaves the pregnant question: given that they are rare and valuable - and one just got shot down - in addition to the one shot down by the Wagner group - will Russia will be so worried about losing more they decide not to employ them?  

Looking around, the speculation is they probably only have 3-4 left that can fly. They had one flying in the north and one in the south, and each had a backup (or shared it). Out of the 8-10 or so that were “active” half were older and needed work and/or were hangar queens used for parts.

They could be down to 4-5.   They supposedly keep a couple set aside to monitor China or the Arctic or whatever.

They use these things to control Russian aircraft and to look for Ukrainian drones, missiles,  and aircraft coming in so yeah. They are huge.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Looking around, the speculation is they probably only have 3-4 left that can fly. They had one flying in the north and one in the south, and each had a backup (or shared it). Out of the 8-10 or so that were “active” half were older and needed work and/or were hangar queens used for parts.

They could be down to 4-5.   They supposedly keep a couple set aside to monitor China or the Arctic or whatever.

They use these things to control Russian aircraft and to look for Ukrainian drones, missiles,  and aircraft coming in so yeah. They are huge.

Could you imagine if we lost an EWAC? Or the Navy's E-2? Hell to pay. In Russia I bet the AF commander is sent to a penis (yeah I wrote it that way) Battalion.

Russia's C&C is like aggy getting a football coach. Pay way to much for the first, then go to the third line. At least Jimbo got paid. Bet the Russian General slips on some windex and falls a few stories.

• Hook 'Em 2

So the start? Little shit. Read Russian history pre-Lenin.

Social media footage showed supporters of Fail Alsynov clashing with police - some throwing snowballs - near the court in the town of Baymak.

Alsynov was jailed for inciting ethnic hatred, which he denies.

Large protests in Russia are extremely rare because of the risk of arrest.

Some reports say there are a few thousand people at the demonstration, which has been going on for several days in temperatures of around -20C, and there are reports of several injured.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-68006123

• Hook 'Em 3

The Bradley always got a bad rap; even their engine.  Its 903 Cummins V8 was always regarded as a turd by American farmers and truckers.  Seems to be doing OK in the Bradley.

Like any modern weapons system. They initial versions come out and have bugs. Neigh sayers throw up their hands and shout “government waste boondoggle!” Then the kinks get ironed out, and the focus turns to the next weapons program. Since a kid I’ve seen this happen with Bradley, Blackhawk, V-22, F-22, F-35 and I’m sure there are others that I’m forgetting. With all our foibles, we are still the top weapons maker in the world.
  • Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Like any modern weapons system. They initial versions come out and have bugs. Neigh sayers throw up their hands and shout “government waste boondoggle!” Then the kinks get ironed out, and the focus turns to the next weapons program. Since a kid I’ve seen this happen with Bradley, Blackhawk, V-22, F-22, F-35 and I’m sure there are others that I’m forgetting. With all our foibles, we are still the top weapons maker in the world.

Sir, and then we had the Sgt. York. My dad still gets night sweats over that fucker.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Parliament said:

The Bradley always got a bad rap; even their engine.  Its 903 Cummins V8 was always regarded as a turd by American farmers and truckers.  Seems to be doing OK in the Bradley.

And people don’t realize that the 25mm cannon, while not ideal, can engage tanks - they can shred tank treads and stop them from moving, and can fuck up the rear areas.  Knocking out the treads leaves them vulnerable to larger drones. If they are close enough, they can penetrate some areas - this happened in the Gulf War when Bradley’s got too close to Iraqi T-72s.  

47 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Sir, and then we had the Sgt. York. My dad still gets night sweats over that fucker.

Crusader for me

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM2001_Crusader

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

And people don’t realize that the 25mm cannon, while not ideal, can engage tanks - they can shred tank treads and stop them from moving, and can fuck up the rear areas.  Knocking out the treads leaves them vulnerable to larger drones. If they are close enough, they can penetrate some areas - this happened in the Gulf War when Bradley’s got too close to Iraqi T-72s.  

Crusader for me

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM2001_Crusader

M-2's are a beast. And pretty crew centric.

Yeah that was a bad one. Dad was on the review team for SF when they tried to push the York onto SOCOM. He said hell no. Shit was designed to make engineers money.

Now back to Ukraine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

I remember articles back in the day saying that the Abrams tank was a piece of crap with so many problems it would never be adopted. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Like any modern weapons system. They initial versions come out and have bugs. Neigh sayers throw up their hands and shout “government waste boondoggle!” Then the kinks get ironed out, and the focus turns to the next weapons program.

The Pentagon Wars was a hit piece.

Which is not to say that the military is not one of, if not the most profligate waster of government funds you can find.    
Harry S. Truman as a Senator was put in charge of ferreting out waste and corruption in the military procurement policies of World War II.    As Harry came out of the famously absolutely corrupt Kansas City political machine, he was very savvy as to all the ways money could be siphoned off, and did a great job in protecting the public fisc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Parliament said:

51 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Which is not to say that the military is not one of, if not the most profligate waster of government funds you can find.    
Harry S. Truman as a Senator was put in charge of ferreting out waste and corruption in the military procurement policies of World War II.    As Harry came out of the famously absolutely corrupt Kansas City political machine, he was very savvy as to all the ways money could be siphoned off, and did a great job in protecting the public fisc

4 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Like any modern weapons system. The initial versions come out and have bugs. Neigh sayers throw up their hands and shout “government waste boondoggle!” Then the kinks get ironed out, and the focus turns to the next weapons program. Since a kid I’ve seen this happen with Bradley, Blackhawk, V-22, F-22, F-35 and I’m sure there are others that I’m forgetting. With all our foibles, we are still the top weapons maker in the world.

We do this song and dance around everything. These are complicated systems. It’s good to have critical eyes on them to keep us honest, that is the difference between the crap wunderwaffe vapor ware the Russians  build and what we can deliver. 

Our capacity and procurement rate is a different question. The peace dividend is over. We need to be on a footing to produce far more high-end systems and we need to shift our recruiting to get people to man them. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Related:  NYT had a fun (Austin-heavy) article today of "how do you fund manhattan project if it is totally secret?"

That was a long article to say that the House, Senate, and President were all Democrat in 1944. So, it was easy to hide the money - while only have to talk to 7 people. A split congress and white house couldn't have done that. On the one hand, having a split congress and white house leads to much more accountability, but on the other hand, it prevents the president from being able to do whatever the hell he wants.

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

That was a long article to say that the House, Senate, and President were all Democrat in 1944. So, it was easy to hide the money - while only have to talk to 7 people. A split congress and white house couldn't have done that. On the one hand, having a split congress and white house leads to much more accountability, but on the other hand, it prevents the president from being able to do whatever the hell he wants.

i more or less disagree and think that getting war funding passed in the 1940s was probably a walk in the park regardless of what party you're dealing with. 

however, i do think there is something to the fact that they did this with an atomic bomb.  that probably required unity of party control.  it had to have sounded so fanciful -- oh yeah, there is a magic science bomb that can suddenly solve all our war problems if only i'd give you a bazillion dollars and 5 magic beans -- that split parties would fight over.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

i more or less disagree and think that getting war funding passed in the 1940s was probably a walk in the park regardless of what party you're dealing with. 

however, i do think there is something to the fact that they did this with an atomic bomb.  that probably required unity of party control.  it had to have sounded so fanciful -- oh yeah, there is a magic science bomb that can suddenly 5 solve all our war problems if only i'd give you a bazillion dollars and 5 magic beans -- that split parties would fight over.  

I read this 5 times, and I know you said that you disagree, but it looks like you agree. Even if it was easier to get funding in the 1940s during war footing, there is no way in hell a divided president and congress could get a bazillion dollars and 5 magic beans to fund new cities in Tennessee and New Mexico in order to build a theoretical bomb.