Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

How? It is one of those ideas that sounds very much idealistic "American" in nature in which the truth will enlighten the populous and then we will see a titanic shift to what is "right". Instead, we are dealing with a populous that has been habitually lied to and have willingly and knowingly embarrassed that state control of the media. They don't want the truth they want to embrace the greatness of Mother Russia and the mythos the state provides them.
Some cultures don't want absolute truth, they want the state to tell them what the truth really is that falls in line with the historical predestination of their cultural views. Afghanistan, Iraq, Russia, Lybia etc are all examples of the populous refusing to be willing to embrace the "truth" to the preference of their cultural or tribal "truth" after American intervention.

How do you counteract that type of belief suddenly to the level needed to pull out of Ukraine and expect to still be in power 6 months from now when the Russian economy continues to crater and the population feels you made Russia concede defeat as a weak leader that is only in power because Putin got sick.

Whoever ends up in powers has to purge everyone in Putin’s circle.

4 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Whoever ends up in powers has to purge everyone in Putin’s circle.

It's not just Putin's circle you would have to purge. It would be the entirety of the FSB and any and all of the classic old guard that has any tangible link to the old Soviet Union. Then you would have to find a way to take all of those assets from those in the purge and actually repatriate them back into the government fold.

All the while you have to do this purge without making the same mistakes with corruption that happened during Putins rise. All the while controlling the oligarchy while doing so to limit the graft. Is it possible, sure. But who is the leader in Russia that has both the force of presence and connections to pull this off? If not, it is either a short-term reign and the two in the back of the head in a Siberian gulag 6 months later and the cycle repeats.

There just is not any great solution right now, and in truth there probably won't be for 12 to 18 more months until external sanctions force a stronger populist presence and internal counter to the current regime. Its a mess, but this scenario is still better than Putin still drawing breath.

• Hook 'Em 2

"Multiple reports" most likely means "bloggers repeating the same fictitious report," most likely. Until I see the dead body, that's my assumption.

The key will be whether he appears in public or not. Recall that in quick succession, Brezhnev, Andropov, and Chernenko disappeared from public view because each “had a cold.” Which meant that they were dead. This is the Russian play. If Putin isn’t seen for a while, and they say he has a cold….he’s already dead.
  • Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

It's not just Putin's circle you would have to purge. It would be the entirety of the FSB and any and all of the classic old guard that has any tangible link to the old Soviet Union. Then you would have to find a way to take all of those assets from those in the purge and actually repatriate them back into the government fold.

All the while you have to do this purge without making the same mistakes with corruption that happened during Putins rise. All the while controlling the oligarchy while doing so to limit the graft. Is it possible, sure. But who is the leader in Russia that has both the force of presence and connections to pull this off? If not, it is either a short-term reign and the two in the back of the head in a Siberian gulag 6 months later and the cycle repeats.

Keep in mind that Putin purged most of the most competent people in the upper levels of the government, that could present a threat in terms of taking power or at least presenting a threat to him.

Which is why you end up with his buddies like Shoigu running ministries they were unprepared to run.

It’ll be a clusterfuck when he dies, and it’s by design - he has never prepared anybody to truly be his second-in-command, because that’s a threat.  Even Medvedev turned out to be just a flunky who was easy to shove to the side when he was no longer needed.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

It’ll be a clusterfuck when he dies, and it’s by design - he has never prepared anybody to truly be his second-in-command, because that’s a threat.  Even Medvedev turned out to be just a flunky who was easy to shove to the side when he was no longer needed.

My favorite thing I learned during this war is that Medvedev is only 5'4".

Of course he is!

Putin had to find a lackey/sidekick that was shorter than him and that is no easy task when he himself is only 5'6".

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The key will be whether he appears in public or not. Recall that in quick succession, Brezhnev, Andropov, and Chernenko disappeared from public view because each “had a cold.” Which meant that they were dead. This is the Russian play. If Putin isn’t seen for a while, and they say he has a cold….he’s already dead.

This guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikhail_Mishustin

Will take over should Putin croak. He's a total rube and has no power base.

In short, he'll call new elections and we'll have a free-for-all to see who gets to be the next dictator of Russia. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, MillerEP said:

I would imagine there would be a bit of a power struggle, there are too many oligarchs who need government cover, and too many intelligence services for everything to just transition smoothly. I don't expect any military coup or anything, but I imagine there would be some big wigs purging and duking it out in the halls of the Kremlin.

I don’t remember who talked about it, but Putin has made sure that no generals reached a point where they could have a loyal following in the military - he kept them moving around, supposedly even put some in danger/got them killed, would periodically break up their staffs, made sure they didn’t have junior officers who stayed with them for years, made sure they knew there were informants everywhere, etc.  Those moves could have also screwed the military in Ukraine.

With that said, the military would benefit from a quick withdrawal from Ukraine, and would probably sit on the sidelines in a power struggle if promised that they’d be pulled out of Ukraine.  They desperately need to rebuild their ranks and units - they’ve been bled dry with nearly a thousand dead officers, and it’s going to take years for them to regain their pre-February levels of equipment, and the military industrial complex took a huge hit with the sanctions

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, The Dog said:

In short, he'll call new elections and we'll have a free-for-all to see who gets to be the next dictator of Russia. 

a free for all where the winner gets their very own arsenal of thousands of nukes!

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, dimyh said:

Quality video from Perun that covers a lot of the manpower issues on the Russian side 

This video is awesome and worth a watch, even if you keep it on in the background and listen to it as more of a podcast.  Explains why so many infantry fighting vehicles were undermanned, why they’ve had so many armored losses, etc.

Meanwhile, Ukraine has been training up reserves, etc. as well as NATO is training a ton of Ukrainians on various systems, and they could be seeing the battlefield in the near future with the new systems .  US (Air Force in particular) seems to be doing an amazing job of getting systems to the staging points for Ukraine. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

This video is awesome and worth a watch, even if you keep it on in the background and listen to it as more of a podcast.  Explains why so many infantry fighting vehicles were undermanned, why they’ve had so many armored losses, etc.

Meanwhile, Ukraine has been training up reserves, etc. as well as NATO is training a ton of Ukrainians on various systems, and they could be seeing the battlefield in the near future with the new systems .  US (Air Force in particular) seems to be doing an amazing job of getting systems to the staging points for Ukraine. 

Yes it is. Very good. the on on corruption in the Russian army is funny! You will like it. Watching this one now on Poland. And like you said, I have it on another computer and just listening it to it while working.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Lukashenko will make a play for it. He was heir apparent when Putin outmaneuvered him.

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Another Colonel, but a journalist/propaganda one.

Here he is in peacetime, and being Russian, of course he's rocking an old-school CRT

Frasier-1993.jpg

Everybody have fun tonight, everybody Wang Chung tonight.

• Hook 'Em 1

That paint job on the Mig-29s is the visual equivalent of Billy Jack's, "See this left foot?  It's about to kick you in the face.  And there's not a damned thing you can do about it."

ETA now I need to get a Mig-29 model and dress it up like that.  I haven't built a model in years, but those colors have me itching to take it back up.

Edited by Scheiss Meister
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Scheiss Meister said:

ETA now I need to get a Mig-29 model and dress it up like that.  I haven't built a model in years, but those colors have me itching to take it back up.

Yeah, my son is learning the ropes with scale models this summer, and I looked into getting some Ukrainian jets.

Hasegawa apparently made an early version of that paint scheme (some minor differences)

https://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal4/3701-3800/gal3800-MiG-29-Beraska/00.shtm

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hasegawa-04093-mig-29-fulcrum-ukranian-falcons--121186

That Hasegawa kit came out in 1998 though, but looks like there's plenty of third-party decal sets on eBay, etc. that you could get for other versions/manufacturers.

This company makes decal sets for the newer Falcon paint scheme and is actually based out of Ukraine (Kyiv no less) and they make sure you know it

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265150382553?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

Now shipping could takes a week longer than usual. ruZZian invaders basely attacked our country on February 24 under cover of night at 5 am. These bastards have already killed thousands of civilians and destroyed cities. This is an Army of murderers, barbarians and marauders. ruZZian soldiers are a disgrace to humanity. Orcs must be expelled and destroyed. Support Ukraine! Support Ukrainian model kit brands in such dark times.

Free shipping - This package may be delayed due to shipping carrier service disruptions. 

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, my son is learning the ropes with scale models this summer, and I looked into getting some Ukrainian jets.

Hasegawa apparently made an early version of that paint scheme (some minor differences)

https://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal4/3701-3800/gal3800-MiG-29-Beraska/00.shtm

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hasegawa-04093-mig-29-fulcrum-ukranian-falcons--121186

That Hasegawa kit came out in 1998 though, but looks like there's plenty of third-party decal sets on eBay, etc. that you could get for other versions/manufacturers.

This company makes decal sets for the newer Falcon paint scheme and is actually based out of Ukraine (Kyiv no less) and they make sure you know it

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265150382553?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks!  Those look nice.  I prefer 1:48 scale, but if I can't find that, I may go this way.  I still have my airbrush, but would have to get everything else, so I'm not sure it fits in the budget right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

Man Russian social media and Twitter users are pissed that IKEA announced today that they are completely done with Russia and Belarus.  They  are selling their manufacturing/factories and logistics centers.  That’s a company that thinks it’s not coming back this decade.  They are keeping the 14 mega malls they own open (but not the IKEA stores in them) because they have grocery and clothing stories and pharmacies in them and see those as “necessities” but reading around/between the lines, that’s an excuse because most of those malls have lost all of their Western stores and IKEA couldn’t find buyers.  I’m guessing they assume the Russia government will confiscate the malls out of spite like they’ve done to other corporations that bail.

https://about.ikea.com/en/newsroom/2022/06/15/ikea-takes-the-next-step-to-scale-down-in-russia-and-belarus

https://www.reuters.com/business/retail-consumer/ikea-further-scale-down-operations-russia-2022-06-15/

Ditching their manufacturing and logistics centers instead of shuttering them for the time being, they definitely aren’t coming back.  

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Thanks!  Those look nice.  I prefer 1:48 scale, but if I can't find that, I may go this way.  I still have my airbrush, but would have to get everything else, so I'm not sure it fits in the budget right now.

I want an SU-25. :) Hell, I might have to make a small diorama. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

This guy is a Russian ex-pat after February 24th, living in Georgia.  He likes to take the piss out of a lot of Russian stuff.  His video on the McDonald’s replacement….NSFW   And holy shit, they’ve had employees taking Sharpies and marking out McDonald’s logos on the condiments.  If you watch all the way through, he’s taking about the Iron Curtain coming back down and USSR 2.0 coming back.

”This is what Russia is now…eat bootleg McDonald’s and pretend like shit is okay.  What the fuck is this bro….this is just fourth-world country shit bro…this is embarrassing…I cannot believe this is the point we’ve reached.”

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Can we say Russia has culminated and can now really only go on the defensive?

Not while they are still trying to take the Donbas pocket. But, I think that will just hasten the end of the war. The Rascists should have been on the defensive long ago to preserve combat force.

Re: Russian citizens being moved into Ukraine, what are the odds the Russian military bombs, tortures, rapes and/or executes some of them?

SSO Azov destroyed MI-35M racists in the Zaporozhye region.

Irpen in Ukraine. We saw a devastated city and traces of barbarism. And also the heroism of Ukrainian men and women who stopped the Russian army when it went to Kyiv. Ukraine is resisting. She must be able to win.

• Rage+1 2