Do you believe in demons?

Beau Vine

6 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I believe in demons, but not as a manifestation like a ghost or apparition or something. I think if you look at the world through the lens of physics at the quantum level and extrapolated all the way through to complex systems like human beings and then extend to the larger known/unknown universe that what we call demons are the destructionist qualities and entities that exist to destroy what is created and in existence. Afflictions, like the one above, could reasonably be seen as both a demon and a medical condition. Cancer is a demon, mental illness, addiction, body dysphoria, depression, etc.-- all demons. All things which cannot be relieved purely and solely through our own material means (e.g. medicine, therapy, etc.) but also need the psychic/supernatural healing of [fill in the blank with the Universe, God, Aliens, Prayer, Good Vibes, Energy, whatever you believe].

I think on some level human beings have this knowledge inherently and we acknowledge that demons and possessions are real. We explore it in art, film, literature as a way to try to come to grips and we sincerely use aphorisms like "Robin Williams just had too many demons" or "Philip Seymour Hoffman wrestled with his demons and lost" etc.

You believe in putting raisins in cookies.  No one can trust you!

• Like 4

In my heart of hearts--no.  

But I will acknowledge the possibility that demons exist.

And it is enough of a possibility that I am not going to fuck with them.  I'm not letting a ouija board in my house, and I'm sure as shit not going near that bitch from Long Island who purports to commune with the dead.

• Like 1

I blame the Christians......they created the devil and demons.

The crazy thing is that many religions believe in demons and the various understanding of their nature have a lot of similarities. It’s hard to pinpoint one faith. However, if you want to start blaming someone start with the Jews since the OT came before the NT.

10 hours ago, William_Cannon said:

The crazy thing is that many religions believe in demons and the various understanding of their nature have a lot of similarities. It’s hard to pinpoint one faith. However, if you want to start blaming someone start with the Jews since the OT came before the NT.

Many of the myths in the Old Testament are not original to Judaism but were borrowed from other religions in the region like Zoroastrianism, for example. Religions evolve just like any other cultural institution. Take any religion we know of and there was one that came before it and influenced it. That goes back in time until it's lost to history and we'll never know what people believed for tens of thousands of years before anything was ever written down. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

fify out of fearful respect for the entity that calls itself Chuck-E-Cheese.

Speaking of the overlap between hell and children's pizza parlors, there's a bar in Chicago that has an old Rock-A-Fire Explosion setup that's been reprogrammed to play The Misfits. 

https://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleader/archives/2018/11/28/how-logan-arcade-got-its-misfits-playing-robot-dogs

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 1