2018 Alabama might be better than 2005 Texas...but it's a different era of college football

Goo Punch

First off, 2005 Texas is the greatest team of all time, led by the greatest player of all time. Period. Second, this is just a totally different era of college football, and the fact is that the 2005 Texas roster would CRUSH shit in today's game. Imagine the different ways we could deploy and utilizie an offesnive backfield of VY, Ramonce, Jamaal, Selvin, and Ahmard Hall, not to mention David Thomas, three NFL O linemen, Limas Sweed, Quan Cosby, etc. And a defense featuring, what, 9 future NFL players? More? Stupid talent.

So yeah, 2005 Texas may still be the greatest team ever, but this Bama team is as good as I've seen since then. Clemson is pretty fucking ridiculous too. The guys who will play for the national title this year were in first and second grade when the 2005 team conquered the mighty Trojans. The game today is so different; players are bigger and faster yet also somehow sleeker and smaller, depending on which position group you're talking about. D linemen are smaller, offenses are faster and more modern, every team has a QB who can run (thanks to #10). Point being, even though it's less than two decades later, it's hard to compare teams across eras, and these two teams to in fact lay in different eras. All I know is it would be a helluva game if they could somehow sqaure off.

• Fuck You 31

10 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Lol, no. Vince is and always will be on another level. That usc team is better than this Bama team 

No, they weren’t. This is the best team Bama has had. That USC squad wasn’t even as good as the previous year’s version, their defense was mediocre.

Just now, Spider2YBanana said:

Their defense looked mediocre because of Vince. Also, that team had the same players as the year before, just older. 

Sure, exactly the same. Oh, except the 4 1st team All-Americans they lost. They might have been important.

They played other teams than Texas. They looked mediocre against them too (see Fresno State, the game that won Bush the Heisman because he returned so many kickoffs after they kept scoring).

Just now, formermav43 said:

Sure, exactly the same. Oh, except the 4 1st team All-Americans they lost. They might have been important.

They played other teams than Texas. They looked mediocre against them too (see Fresno State, the game that won Bush the Heisman because he returned so many kickoffs after they kept scoring).

Their main players on offense and two Heisman winners? Bama is better than two Heisman winners back to back? No. 

6 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Their defense looked mediocre because of Vince. Also, that team had the same players as the year before, just older. 

USC lost a bunch of starters off of the 2004 defense - including DL Patterson and Cody, LB Grootegoed and Tatupu (all massive contributors) plus a couple of DBs. The 2005 defense was probably the worst defense Carroll had there - they looked mediocre all year  

• Like 2

Just now, Frieda’s Boss said:

USC lost a bunch of starters off of the 2004 defense - including DL Patterson and Cody, LB Grootegoed and Tatupu (all massive contributors) plus a couple of DBs. The 2005 defense was probably the worst defense Carroll had there - they looked mediocre all year  

They weren't great, but they're not even in the same ballpark as this shitty ou defense. Their offense averaged 60 pts a game or some shit. Their defense wasn't bad, but not great. 

1 minute ago, formermav43 said:

Im not sure what that has to do with anything. You change subjects a lot.

I'm not changing anything, but ok. I'm saying this ou teams defense is last in FBS, and usc wasn't even close to. Not to mention usc had two Heisman winners on offense that averaged damn near 60 pts a game, but you think this Bama team is better, why? Because of their defense?

Just now, Spider2YBanana said:

I'm not changing anything, but ok. I'm saying this ou teams defense is last in FBS, and usc wasn't even close to. Not to mention usc had two Heisman winners on offense that averaged damn near 60 pts a game, but you think this Bama team is better, why? Because of their defense?

I think I’m done attempting to have a conversation with you.

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

I think I’m done attempting to have a conversation with you.

So break  it down for me. One player for ou is keeping them in the game down by 11, but this bama team would beat a usc team with two Heisman winners on offense that averaged 60 points a game. Yeah, I think it's time you take a seat. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana
  • Like 1

So break  it down for me. One player for ou is keeping them in the game down by 11, but this bama team would beat a usc team with two Heisman winners on offense that averaged 60 points a game. Yeah, I think it's time you take a seat. 

They averaged like 45.6 or something.
Could you imagine the wr for usc going up against #2?

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

First off, 2005 Texas is the greatest team of all time, led by the greatest player of all time. Period. Second, this is just a totally different era of college football, and the fact is that the 2005 Texas roster would CRUSH shit in today's game. Imagine the different ways we could deploy and utilizie an offesnive backfield of VY, Ramonce, Jamaal, Selvin, and Ahmard Hall, not to mention David Thomas, three NFL O linemen, Limas Sweed, Quan Cosby, etc. And a defense featuring, what, 9 future NFL players? More? Stupid talent.

So yeah, 2005 Texas may still be the greatest team ever, but this Bama team is as good as I've seen since then. Clemson is pretty fucking ridiculous too. The guys who will play for the national title this year were in first and second grade when the 2005 team conquered the mighty Trojans. The game today is so different; players are bigger and faster yet also somehow sleeker and smaller, depending on which position group you're talking about. D linemen are smaller, offenses are faster and more modern, every team has a QB who can run (thanks to #10). Point being, even though it's less than two decades later, it's hard to compare teams across eras, and these two teams to in fact lay in different eras. All I know is it would be a helluva game if they could somehow sqaure off.

Nobody cares