2018 Alabama might be better than 2005 Texas...but it's a different era of college football

Goo Punch

17 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Why Derka thinks that he’s a great philosopher of sports, I’ll never know. 

Oh is that what I think?It's funny how I never actually say any of these things about myself, it's just you guys who love to throw a fit every time I don't slurp Texas. I think I'm some big sports hot shot because I dared to say that the best Bama team of the Saban era might possibly be as good as/better than 2005 Texas? Or is there some other unspoken reason I'm not aware of. The hype you guys incessantly give me far exceeds the reality. "he's a philosopher!" "He's a victim!" "He's getting us upset on purpose!" I wish I could get paid for the space I own in you guys heads wothout even trying. Grow up.

Edited by Goo Punch

Just now, Goo Punch said:

Oh is that what I think? Because I dared to say that the best Bama team of the Saban era might possibly be as good as/better than 2005 Texas? Or is there some other unspoken reason I'm not aware of. The hype you guys incessantly give me far exceeds the reality. "he's a philosopher!" "He's a victim!" "He's getting us upset on purpose!" I wish I could get paid for the space I own in you guys heads wothout even trying. Grow up.

He called you a philosopher. Take the compliment and say you're welcome.

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

First off, 2005 Texas is the greatest team of all time, led by the greatest player of all time. Period. Second, this is just a totally different era of college football, and the fact is that the 2005 Texas roster would CRUSH shit in today's game. Imagine the different ways we could deploy and utilizie an offesnive backfield of VY, Ramonce, Jamaal, Selvin, and Ahmard Hall, not to mention David Thomas, three NFL O linemen, Limas Sweed, Quan Cosby, etc. And a defense featuring, what, 9 future NFL players? More? Stupid talent.

So yeah, 2005 Texas may still be the greatest team ever, but this Bama team is as good as I've seen since then. Clemson is pretty fucking ridiculous too. The guys who will play for the national title this year were in first and second grade when the 2005 team conquered the mighty Trojans. The game today is so different; players are bigger and faster yet also somehow sleeker and smaller, depending on which position group you're talking about. D linemen are smaller, offenses are faster and more modern, every team has a QB who can run (thanks to #10). Point being, even though it's less than two decades later, it's hard to compare teams across eras, and these two teams to in fact lay in different eras. All I know is it would be a helluva game if they could somehow sqaure off.

Here's how stupid this argument is. These players were all in the league within the last few years that played from 2004-2006 at Texas. When I say "League" I'm talking about the next level, the one where the 3-13 49ers would beat this Bama team by 4 scores minimum. The one where the players are bigger, stronger, faster, and more athletic.

Derrick Johnson 2017

Michael Griffin 2016

Aaron Ross 2015

Tarell Brown 2015

Brian Robison 2018

So all the above were able to compete weekly against players better than anyone on Alabama's roster as 30 year olds, yet in their prime as 22 year olds they couldn't. GTFOH..........

Edited by RoyalBevo21

5 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Here's how stupid this argument is. These players were all in the league within the last few years that played from 2004-2006 at Texas. When I say "League" I'm talking about the next level, the one where the 3-13 49ers would beat this Bama team by 4 scores minimum. The one where the players are bigger, stronger, faster, and more athletic.

Derrick Johnson 2017

Michael Griffin 2016

Aaron Ross 2015

Tarell Brown 2015

Brian Robison 2018

So all the above were able to compete weekly against players better than anyone on Alabama's roster as 30 year olds, yet in their prime as 22 year olds they couldn't. GTFOH..........

What in the hell are you even talking about? 

10 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Oh is that what I think?It's funny how I never actually say any of these things about myself, it's just you guys who love to throw a fit every time I don't slurp Texas. I think I'm some big sports hot shot because I dared to say that the best Bama team of the Saban era might possibly be as good as/better than 2005 Texas? Or is there some other unspoken reason I'm not aware of. The hype you guys incessantly give me far exceeds the reality. "he's a philosopher!" "He's a victim!" "He's getting us upset on purpose!" I wish I could get paid for the space I own in you guys heads wothout even trying. Grow up.

It’s hyperbole for the sake of hyperbole. Sure, a Bama team that hasn’t beaten anybody is better than 2005 Texas. Awesome, they just beat an overrated ou team on a neutral field. So did 4-loss Texas in October. I don’t care if you “slurp Texas”. The closest you got to slurping anything for Texas was ordering a Frosty at the campus Wendy’s. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

It’s hyperbole for the sake of hyperbole. Sure, a Bama team that hasn’t beaten anybody is better than 2005 Texas. Awesome, they just beat an overrated ou team on a neutral field. So did 4-loss Texas in October. I don’t care if you “slurp Texas”. The closest you got to slurping anything for Texas was ordering a Frosty at the campus Wendy’s. 

You and 30 other people will whine and complain about the thread and yet *literally* not a single one of you even honestly or substantively addresses my OP. You're all so quick to cry and whine about my post yet you apparently can't be bothered to even read the damn thing. You are overreacting for overreacting sake. You and many others. Stop whining about the thread and add something to it.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Fuck You 3

2 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

You and 30 other people will whine and complain about the thread and yet *literally* not a single one of you even honestly or substantively addresses my OP. You're all so quick to cry and whine about my post yet you apparently can't be bothered to even read the damn thing. You are overreacting for overreacting sake. You and many others. Stop whining about the thread and add something to it.

Stop. Your thread title and subsequent post don’t even agree. Furthermore, you end with the assertion that you can’t compare teams across eras, and suggest even so that it would be an interesting game. And then you wonder why no one adds anything? You didn’t add a damn thing or even take a position in your own post. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Stop. Your thread title and subsequent post don’t even agree. Furthermore, you end with the assertion that you can’t compare teams across eras, and suggest even so that it would be an interesting game. And then you wonder why no one adds anything? You didn’t add a damn thing or even take a position in your own post. 

Yes I did. I said that 2018 Bama is the best team since 2005 Texas, and that they could possibly be better than Texas. You whine to whine. You whine because you like to do it.

13 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

I'm willing to debate your proposition.

I'll have an answer for you as soon as I can figure out what you're trying to say.

2018 Alabama could be better than 2005 Texas, but comparing across eras is difficult.

for someone so smart you're being awfully obtuse.

Just now, Goo Punch said:

2018 Alabama could be better than 2005 Texas, but comparing across eras is difficult.

for someone so smart you're being awfully obtuse.

So you can't reach a conclusion because because of different eras.  Why bother to post something so inherently pointless?   What is there to actually debate?

What you're calling obtuse in confusion.  I was hoping you would clarify things and I was just missing the point.

2 hours ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Derrick Johnson 2017

Michael Griffin 2016

Aaron Ross 2015

Tarell Brown 2015

Brian Robison 2018

Uh NFL players hit their prime at 27

Bama's offense has skewed perception of this year's team. This is actually one of Alabama's weakest defenses under Saban. I think even most Alabama fans would tell you that. 

They are #8 in S&P + defense which is still really good but this isn't one of the elite Alabama defenses. 

There might be an argument here if Bama gets the defense back they had from '15-17 combined with this offense.

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kopp0e said:

In the current "up to the minute" bowl rankings, the AAC & MAC gave themselves crabs..? (with only 1 bowl win)

SEC has some really favorable matchups coming up. The ones they don’t outrank their opponents, they are like 1-2 spots behind. The others, they pretty significantly outrank their opponent. 

I thibk they did that last year too and fell on their faces but won’t happen every year. 

I'm willing to debate your proposition.
I'll have an answer for you as soon as I can figure out what you're trying to say.

I’ll give it a go.

2018 Bama being possibly better than 2005 TX is the red herring of the OP. Now not sure I give Derka that much credit for posting so he has a “hook” but if he only poses the real question there isn’t much interest so that first part gets people flamed up.

No...the only real item I see for debate is has football really changed so much in just 13 years that an appropriate comparison of teams can’t be made? Nobody much would argue that it’s impossible to compare say a team from the 60s to even a team from the aughts but is football really that dramatically different just one decade later than when we won.

Carry on.

8 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Yes I did. I said that 2018 Bama is the best team since 2005 Texas, and that they could possibly be better than Texas. You whine to whine. You whine because you like to do it.

Wow you’re like a little child, complaining about others and throwing a tantrum. Whining that no one wants to engage in your post. What’s the first line of you OP say? Cause it doesn’t say what you just responded here with.

26 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

No...the only real item I see for debate is has football really changed so much in just 13 years that an appropriate comparison of teams can’t be made? Nobody much would argue that it’s impossible to compare say a team from the 60s to even a team from the aughts but is football really that dramatically different just one decade later than when we won.

This. We are not in a different era. Many of the guys who played in 2005 are still playing the game today. You don’t change eras in less than one generation. OP has a stupid take. 

VY and the boys would wreck shop today. Today’s Bama would have wrecked shop in 2005. Who’s better?  Who gives a shit?  

2018 Alabama might be better than 2005 Texas...but it’s a different era of college football

First off, 2005 Texas is the greatest team of all time, led by the greatest player of all time. Period. Second, this is just a totally different era of college football, and the fact is that the 2005 Texas roster would CRUSH shit in today's game.

Your first sentence contradicts the statement made in title of the thread. It’s idiotic. Just like this thread

1 hour ago, CHEF RIBS W/ THE HAMM YALL said:

thibk they did that last year too and fell on their faces but won’t happen every year. 

Last year was not favorable for them because they had two teams in the playoff.  That moved all the other teams up on the bowl pecking order.  There were still some might guffaws on their part ala LSU choking against Notre Dame.

1 hour ago, taybo20 said:

Wow you’re like a little child, complaining about others and throwing a tantrum. Whining that no one wants to engage in your post. What’s the first line of you OP say? Cause it doesn’t say what you just responded here with.

lol, yeah, I'm the one behaving like a child. 

Me: "This Bama team might be better than 2005 Texas. Tough to say."

Flash to 50 grown men, crying their eyes and throwing a fit over it. Okay.

It's hilarious that so many of you can lose your minds this easily over absolutely nothing, and then in the same very moment convince yourselves that it's someone else with emotional and maturity issues. I said something you don't like or agree with. You lashing out and throwing a fit over it only reflects poorly on you.

And yeah, I still am more impressed by this Bama team than any other they've had under Saban. Their offense is a mahine and they are as physically impressive as any team I've ever seen. Tua is an absolute star, they have the best wideout in the country, they have a RB who could start for any NFL team today, the best DB in the country, All Americans on both lines, and again they look to be Saban's best every team. I think they'd give us a game. I'm not disputing anyone who wants to contend that 2005 Texas is still the GOAT, but I'm arguing that this Bama team is right up there. Deal with it. Or don't. I can't make you behave like an adult.