2018 Alabama might be better than 2005 Texas...but it's a different era of college football

Goo Punch

This Bama team is up there with ‘39 aggy. There’s no video to compare teams so there’s no way to know and maybe I’m full of shit and shouldn’t have posted this to begin but fuck you guys for responding. I have empirical and statistical evidence. You’re all petulant children. 

1 minute ago, Goo Punch said:

lol, yeah, I'm the one behaving like a child. 

Me: "This Bama team might be better than 2005 Texas. Tough to say."

Flash to 50 grown men, crying their eyes and throwing a fit over it. Okay.

It's hilarious that so many of you can lose your minds this easily over absolutely nothing, and then in the same very moment convince yourselves that it's someone else with emotional and maturity issues. I said something you don't like or agree with. You lashing out and throwing a fit over it only reflects poorly on you.

And yeah, I still am more impressed by this Bama team than any other they've had under Saban. Their offense is a mahine and they are as physically impressive as any team I've ever seen. Tua is an absolute star, they have the best wideout in the country, they have a RB who could start for any NFL team today, the best DB in the country, All Americans on both lines, and again they look to be Saban's best every team. I think they'd give us a game. I'm not disputing anyone who wants to contend that 2005 Texas is still the GOAT, but I'm arguing that this Bama team is right up there. Deal with it. Or don't. I can't make you behave like an adult.

Do you even read your posts, or how specifically how you responded to me? Seriously, if you don’t see the whining that you like to call others out on or the “lashing out and throwing a fit” in your own posts, you are truly lost. It has nothing to do with liking or disagreeing in my case. You just didn’t make a clear and concise argument. You made assertions, but not a very strong argument. 

2018 Bama is an amazing team, and no one is arguing that. Based on how they have beat people this year, they are on of the best teams. How do they compare to 2005 Texas? Well I think depth wise Bama wins. But I’ve thought that for years, which is why they are so hard to beat. So barring injuries, where does Texas stand? Well the Texas OL was great, and I think if the game plan was to wear out a quicker but smaller Bama Front, then that would be the smart plan. They were giving up rushing yards in this game and didn’t spy Murray very often. VY would have loved that. David Thomas was almost uncoverable and would have made the difference imo. I also think Limas Sweed would dominate surtain jr just like Lamb did. Defensively, it’s interesting, because our LBs weren’t as good. The secondary was insane, but it wouldn’t matter unless we could get a rush. Fortunately Brian Robinson would get a rush but would it be enough? I think it would be interesting because the Texas DBs would get very physical with the bama WRs. More physical than I would think they’ve seen all year. Basically, bama would score points and Texas would score points, but Texas wins because I’m a Texas fan.

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

I’ll give it a go.

2018 Bama being possibly better than 2005 TX is the red herring of the OP. Now not sure I give Derka that much credit for posting so he has a “hook” but if he only poses the real question there isn’t much interest so that first part gets people flamed up.

No...the only real item I see for debate is has football really changed so much in just 13 years that an appropriate comparison of teams can’t be made? Nobody much would argue that it’s impossible to compare say a team from the 60s to even a team from the aughts but is football really that dramatically different just one decade later than when we won.

Carry on.

I believe that the game has changed drastically since 2005. Our offense back then was ahead of the curve, whereas today it would be behind it. Think about the ways we used Jamaal and RT, compared to how players of their ilk are used today- the way we used RT was ahead of the curve in 2005, yet nowadays our use of him would be considered vanilla; same with Jamaal, who today would be lining up all over the field, and not just as a tailback. In other words, had that roster of players all grown up and come together in today's game they'd be even more potent and varied. But they didn't, and our offense from 2005 would not be as forward thinking as the ones we see today.

And without expounding too much more the same goes for our defense- they never faced an offense similar this Bama team- It's hard for me to say how we'd fare against a bunch of formations and plays which didn't exist in 2005, featuring players who've grown up in the age of advanced sports science and training which now takes place from an early age on. It's a different era.

The part of this that's so childish and pathetic is how many of you convince yourselves that I'm "doing something to you." "He's doing this on purpose guys, he's trying to upset us on purpose!!" Good fucking Lord. First, get over yourself, literally nothing I ever say, think, or do has anything to do with any of you or how you might react. Second, grow up and own your own rections. You all whine, you all act persecuted, you all are the ones who cry and throw a fit, and then you all get together to reassure each other that it's me who is doing all of those things. Well whatever makes you feel better I guess. Just as long as at the end of the day you realize that you're responsible for your own feelings and reactions and that I don't care enough about any of you to go out of my way to rile you up. If I did I would post on this terrible forum more than once every blue moon. Rest assured that not a single one of you crosses my mind when I decide to post an opinion of mine.

13 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Second, grow up and own your own rections. You all whine, you all act persecuted, you all are the ones who cry and throw a fit, and then you all get together to reassure each other that it's me who is doing all of those things. Well whatever makes you feel better I guess.

😂🤣😂

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

Jesus you are the least self aware human ever.  You describe your own behavior in every one of your posts.  

Nope, it's the exact opposite, and that's what I'm pointing out- I'm not the one lashing out at anybody; I haven't cussed anybody out; I'm not one of a couple dozen or so posters in here throwing a complete tantrum; and that's my point- it's you guys who do that, and then turn around and all assure each other that it's me. You wanting to believe something doesn't make it true. You ignoring the fact doesn't change said facts.

Edited by Goo Punch

41 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

The part of this that's so childish and pathetic is how many of you convince yourselves that I'm "doing something to you." "He's doing this on purpose guys, he's trying to upset us on purpose!!" Good fucking Lord. First, get over yourself, literally nothing I ever say, think, or do has anything to do with any of you or how you might react. Second, grow up and own your own rections. You all whine, you all act persecuted, you all are the ones who cry and throw a fit, and then you all get together to reassure each other that it's me who is doing all of those things. Well whatever makes you feel better I guess. Just as long as at the end of the day you realize that you're responsible for your own feelings and reactions and that I don't care enough about any of you to go out of my way to rile you up. If I did I would post on this terrible forum more than once every blue moon. Rest assured that not a single one of you crosses my mind when I decide to post an opinion of mine.

The part of this that's so childish and pathetic is how you convince yourself that We’re "doing something to you." "They’re doing this on purpose guys, they’re trying to upset me on purpose!!" Good fucking Lord. First, get over yourself, literally nothing I ever say, think, or do has anything to do with any of you or how you might react. Second, grow up and own your own rections. You all whine, you all act persecuted, you all are the ones who cry and throw a fit, and then you all get together to reassure each other that it's me who is doing all of those things. Well whatever makes you feel better I guess. Just as long as at the end of the day you realize that you're responsible for your own feelings and reactions and that I don't care enough about any of you to go out of my way to rile you up. If I did I would post on this terrible forum more than once every blue moon. Rest assured that not a single one of you crosses my mind when I decide to post an opinion of mine.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CHEF RIBS W/ THE HAMM YALL said:

SEC has some really favorable matchups coming up. The ones they don’t outrank their opponents, they are like 1-2 spots behind. The others, they pretty significantly outrank their opponent. 

I thibk they did that last year too and fell on their faces but won’t happen every year. 

The SEC strategy of placing better teams against lower seeded opponents usually works, so I agree with you...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2018 at 8:50 PM, Goo Punch said:

First off, 2005 Texas is the greatest team of all time, led by the greatest player of all time. Period. Second, this is just a totally different era of college football, and the fact is that the 2005 Texas roster would CRUSH shit in today's game. Imagine the different ways we could deploy and utilizie an offesnive backfield of VY, Ramonce, Jamaal, Selvin, and Ahmard Hall, not to mention David Thomas, three NFL O linemen, Limas Sweed, Quan Cosby, etc. And a defense featuring, what, 9 future NFL players? More? Stupid talent.

So yeah, 2005 Texas may still be the greatest team ever, but this Bama team is as good as I've seen since then. Clemson is pretty fucking ridiculous too. The guys who will play for the national title this year were in first and second grade when the 2005 team conquered the mighty Trojans. The game today is so different; players are bigger and faster yet also somehow sleeker and smaller, depending on which position group you're talking about. D linemen are smaller, offenses are faster and more modern, every team has a QB who can run (thanks to #10). Point being, even though it's less than two decades later, it's hard to compare teams across eras, and these two teams to in fact lay in different eras. All I know is it would be a helluva game if they could somehow sqaure off.

YOU ARE A FUCKING DUMBASS THAT DRANK THE S-E-C KOOLAID

SEC! SEC! SEC!

VINCE YOUNG WOULD DAD DICK THIS SORRY ASS BAMA SQUAD

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 12/29/2018 at 8:50 PM, Goo Punch said:

First off, 2005 Texas is the greatest team of all time, led by the greatest player of all time. Period. Second, this is just a totally different era of college football, and the fact is that the 2005 Texas roster would CRUSH shit in today's game. Imagine the different ways we could deploy and utilizie an offesnive backfield of VY, Ramonce, Jamaal, Selvin, and Ahmard Hall, not to mention David Thomas, three NFL O linemen, Limas Sweed, Quan Cosby, etc. And a defense featuring, what, 9 future NFL players? More? Stupid talent.

So yeah, 2005 Texas may still be the greatest team ever, but this Bama team is as good as I've seen since then. Clemson is pretty fucking ridiculous too. The guys who will play for the national title this year were in first and second grade when the 2005 team conquered the mighty Trojans. The game today is so different; players are bigger and faster yet also somehow sleeker and smaller, depending on which position group you're talking about. D linemen are smaller, offenses are faster and more modern, every team has a QB who can run (thanks to #10). Point being, even though it's less than two decades later, it's hard to compare teams across eras, and these two teams to in fact lay in different eras. All I know is it would be a helluva game if they could somehow sqaure off.

giphy.gif

VINCE YOUNG MOTHER FUCKER, DO YOU SPEAK IT?!?!?!?

• Like 1

On 12/30/2018 at 3:03 AM, texasstrong12 said:

Bama's offense has skewed perception of this year's team. This is actually one of Alabama's weakest defenses under Saban. I think even most Alabama fans would tell you that. 

They are #8 in S&P + defense which is still really good but this isn't one of the elite Alabama defenses. 

There might be an argument here if Bama gets the defense back they had from '15-17 combined with this offense.

Bump 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

i'm not mad. in fact i'm rather enjoying watching Bama struggle like this. 

Do you retract your low IQ dumbfuck comments?

I mean seriously dude, why the fuck would you post shit like this on a Texas board? Why would you waltz into the Football forum like you are some sort of authority on all time teams and make some degrading comment about our greatest national championship team?  

Showing your ass like an aggy

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Do you retract your low IQ dumbfuck comments?

I mean seriously dude, why the fuck would you post shit like this on a Texas board? Why would you waltz into the Football forum like you are some sort of authority on all time teams and make some degrading comment about our greatest national championship team?  

Showing your ass like an aggy

You must be new to Derka. He thinks he is the authority on everything here. And if you dare question his takes, all fury will be unleashed on you on how much of an ignorant fuck you are over the course of 7 paragraphs. 

He wants to be a prophet so bad but most times, it ends up like this thread.

Go read the Sam Ehlinger thread for laughs as well with his takes.

• Like 2